AVS Forum banner

5321 - 5340 of 13610 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
The HEOS app can stream audio to up to 32 HEOS speakers (ie. 32 independent zones). You can group up to 16 of them for whole house audio passing the same source or pass a total of 8 independent sources to the lot of speakers. You can also group 2 of the same model speakers (eg. I have two HEOS 3 in my office) to form a stereo L/R pair.
Good information. I'm currently using some Google cast enabled speakers and a chromecast audio. It does the job but doesn't have as much flexibility.

Note however, that the AVR (main/Zone 2/Zone 3) is considered one speaker so you would only be able to pass one source to the AVR; however, you can group the AVR with other HEOS speakers (under that 32 max speaker limitation).
This is what I was wondering. I couldn't quite gather that for sure from the manual. I'll likely just stick with my Google cast setup for now unless I can find someone to buy my old soundbar and Google cast enabled speakers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
what happened to restorer?

the restorer function is now grayed out on my 3400. How do I get it functional again?

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
the restorer function is now grayed out on my 3400. How do I get it functional again?
It's not available for Direct or Pure Direct. Might you have one of those options selected?

·
Registered
165 Posts
X6400H really hot

I've had my X6400H for about 6 months now. I haven't really used it all that much as we are starting to build out an actual media room. I notice that the unit gets extremely hot no matter the listening level. It's never shutdown so I'm curious is if this is normal. I can leave my hand on it, but i'm sure some others may feel the burn.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I've had my X6400H for about 6 months now. I haven't really used it all that much as we are starting to build out an actual media room. I notice that the unit gets extremely hot no matter the listening level. It's never shutdown so I'm curious is if this is normal. I can leave my hand on it, but i'm sure some others may feel the burn.
No, it's not(at least not to me.)

1)Engage Auto Eco mode

2) Find a way to increase top and side air gap clearance.(If top clearance is better than 4 to 6 inches you can lift the receivers base by using 4 hockey pucks on each rubber leg for better air flow below as well.)

3) Add an inexpensive 120 mm cooling fan or fans to pull hot air up through the top of the enclosure.

4) Add individual heat sinks with thermal paste easily found on EBay atop each HDMI chip within the receiver(warranty voided)

4) Warranty repair if defective.

That's about all there is.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My X4400H gets really hot too. Hotter than my amps, hotter than my previous Denons. It gets this hot despite just driving my height/atmos speakers. I fixed it with option 3 above ^^^. The AC Infinity T9 cools my X4400H down to 84'F while watching 4K HDR at 80db SPL.

Reactions: blatz8

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,328
Do you have it in an open area with at least 3-4" clearance above and on the sides with open front and back? If not, consider adding a cooling fan as others suggest.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,329

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you have it in an open area with at least 3-4" clearance above and on the sides with open front and back? If not, consider adding a cooling fan as others suggest.
It's currently in an open ended stand with about 2.5 inches above. I'll be moving it into an av rack and I may just mount fans on it at that point. I think i have a couple of 120mm fans laying around that were too loud for my PC but will be fine in the rack. It seems like it would benefit from an active cooling solution from the factory.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I upgraded from 5.2.4 with my x4400H to 7.2.4 and, having never had anything more than 5.x.x, this whole new world of 7 ear-level channels is opening up to me. I went back and scoured my blu-ray library to see what 7.1 channel titles I have when I came across a few 6.1 ones. Star Wars I-VI being the big draws, I popped in Episode V and walked away befuddled.

The 6th channel was being matrixed to my Top Rear channels, leaving my Surround Backs utterly silent.

How should the Denon AVRs be matrixing 6.1 into a 7.1 system?

How should Dolby Surround Upmixing/DTS: Neural X treat the 6th channel? I was getting Surround Back usage when utilizing the upmixing, but I didn't know what I should be listening for to identify as the 6th channel in all of the speakers firing.
Can anyone else corroborate this? I've gone back and tested it further with no change in the results.

If I set the Denon's audio to DTSHD-MA, then the Surround Back channels get matrixed and audio is heard through them. If I set the audio to either of the upmixing types, the Surround Back channels go dead silent. I tested this repeating the same scenes over.

7.1 sources retain their Surround Back channel audio with upmixing enabled.

·
Registered
567 Posts
That's not exactly what I have seen.

DLNA Playlists are handled differently depending upon how the media server is accessed.

if you use the new Network Share (example: 192.168.1.212/) then I also see the "no information available" for the playlists
if you use the standard DLNA method ( / Playlist) then they do appear, but the HEOS app then overrides the order of the m3u and does an alpha sort of the tracks. Not nice.

The issue is to convert the playlists into HEOS playlists with the m3u order preserved. I'm still working on this and will report back. I was told by Denon HEOS support that this is intended. Go figure.

I'll report back when I find a way to convert from DLNA Playlists to HEOS Playlists w/o a lot of bother.

mjclifford
Thanks a lot for the reply. It turns out the main problem is with the Netgear ReadyDLNA service in the NAS. It apparently won't display the playlists. However if I wake up my HTPC running JRiver, its DLNA server will serve up all of the playlists I've set up in JRiver. True, the Heos app resorts them into track name alpha, but since I mainly play these in shuffle mode anyway, that's not as much of a problem for me.

I did have a question about your comment about Heos support. I also contacted them both chat and call and got nowhere. The most definitive comment I got was the playlists could only be created from within the Heos app. Right. Anyway, you commented that you were told that converting external playlists into Heos playlists was "intended". Did this mean that 1) it should currently be possible, or 2) that there is going to be a conversion feature in the future? Whatever was meant, if your conversation was as helpful as mine, grain of salt time...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Hello,

I am slowly upgrading my system from an Onkyo HTIB. I got some Sony Cores for L, C, R. Do you think the x1400 would be a good fit with them for a mix of movies, TV, and music?

Im also looking to replace the sub for something at $200, but should probably go to the speaker section for that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply. It turns out the main problem is with the Netgear ReadyDLNA service in the NAS. It apparently won't display the playlists. However if I wake up my HTPC running JRiver, its DLNA server will serve up all of the playlists I've set up in JRiver. True, the Heos app resorts them into track name alpha, but since I mainly play these in shuffle mode anyway, that's not as much of a problem for me.

I did have a question about your comment about Heos support. I also contacted them both chat and call and got nowhere. The most definitive comment I got was the playlists could only be created from within the Heos app. Right. Anyway, you commented that you were told that converting external playlists into Heos playlists was "intended". Did this mean that 1) it should currently be possible, or 2) that there is going to be a conversion feature in the future? Whatever was meant, if your conversation was as helpful as mine, grain of salt time...

Thanks again.
I, too, was less than impressed by Heos support. The reply made it clear that they were in no way eager to stop resorting the playlists, nor adhere in any way to the international standards for m3u playlists - which I found a bit off-putting.

As you mentioned, other DLNA programs handle playlists (notably BubbleUpnp). I'm experimenting with programs that process Heos, that hopefully suppress the sorting and allow for a faithful conversion of the playlists acquired through DLNA. I'll post when a solution is found.

Hope that helps.

mjclifford

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking for help on my 930H setup with 5.1.2. I'm constantly finding that anywhere to 1-3 speakers silent, not passing any audio, until I turn up the volume to anywhere between -10dbm - 0. At that point, they'll all pop on and work as normal, even if I turn the volume back down to, say, -35dbm. It'll stay working until the next time I turn it off and on again. It's not a huge deal as all I have to do is turn the volume up and back down again, but I want to make sure it isn't a hardware issue.

Here's what I know:
  • It happens on all inputs.
  • Full powercycle and factory default didn't fix it.
  • I can turn up the volume per speaker in the settings or as normal while watching TV.
  • I've tried about every combination I can think of with Audyssey features turned on and off.
I called Denon, but the person I talked to basically said "that's weird, you should RMA it."

Let me know if you need any more details.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,336
Looking for help on my 930H setup with 5.1.2. I'm constantly finding that anywhere to 1-3 speakers silent, not passing any audio, until I turn up the volume to anywhere between -10dbm - 0. At that point, they'll all pop on and work as normal, even if I turn the volume back down to, say, -35dbm. It'll stay working until the next time I turn it off and on again. It's not a huge deal as all I have to do is turn the volume up and back down again, but I want to make sure it isn't a hardware issue.

Here's what I know:
  • I can turn up the volume per speaker in the settings or as normal while watching TV.
  • I've tried about every combination I can think of with Audyssey features turned on and off.
I called Denon, but the person I talked to basically said "that's weird, you should RMA it."

Try swapping the speakers that are impacted to other speaker posts where it's not happening as you first need to test whether you have defective speakers. If not, then warranty repair the S930H.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try swapping the speakers that are impacted to other speaker posts where it's not happening as you first need to test whether you have defective speakers. If not, then warranty repair the S930H.
I forgot to mention it happens randomly to different speakers. Everyone has been affected at one time or another except the front left and center speakers.

Do you know how fast Denon's RMA process is?

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,338
I forgot to mention it happens randomly to different speakers. Everyone has been affected at one time or another except the front left and center speakers.

Do you know how fast Denon's RMA process is?
How quick the repair turnover time depends on the issue and where you send the unit. Sending it a local repair center can take a few weeks to a few months whereas sending it to the factory repair center center (United Radio, Syracuse, NY) can take as little as a few days).

·
Registered
100 Posts

Here's what I know:

@pooter03

My S930H shows the same intermittent _hardware_ failure as yours. (It never heals itself.)

• It happens on all inputs. (After confirming the issue for 3 inputs, I stopped worrying about inputs.)
  • Full powercycle and factory default didn't fix it. (Same)
  • I can turn up the volume per speaker in the settings or as normal while watching TV. (I only turned up master volume, not individual speakers.)
  • I've tried about every combination I can think of with Audyssey features turned on and off. (I didn't try that.)

As a diagnosis, NOT a fix, please try this:
While a channel is silent, aim the S930H's internal test tone (Setup Menu > Speakers > Manual Setup > Levels > Test Tone Start) at the silent channel. Then apply gentle fingertip pressure to a binding post of the silent channel. On my S930H, the audio comes immediately to life. Sometimes I feel a tiny click at the same time. (Which post -- red or black ? Which direction -- up or left or right ? It varies. )

Carl

·
Registered
564 Posts
When watching a 4K source at 60hz, and you hit the menu button on the Onkyo remote, does literally nothing happen, or does the menu just come up without showing the video playing behind it. I understand that the 2017 models can't process 4K video to overlay the menu on top of it, but can it just show the menu instead of the video?

5321 - 5340 of 13610 Posts