AVS Forum banner

6921 - 6940 of 14263 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hey all,

I just wanted to say that I have officially swapped out my Denon 4520 with a Denon X4400H. So far so good. I really enjoyed using the Audyssey app. I did 8 measurements and it sounds excellent!

Thank you for answering all of my questions over the last few months.

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 x Denon AVR-X2400H next to each other

Hi.

I just bought two Denon AVR-X2400H; one to control a set of speakers in my living room ("A") for music purposes, and one to use with my TV setup ("B"). A will just be used with HEOS and the settings will rarely be changed, but is placed right next to B. But after setting this up, I've realized that we have an issue with the remote controllers: I need to control B with the remote control, but A will also react upon use of the remote controller.

Is there a way to disable use of remote controllers on Denon, or change the frequency to which it react? Or any other solution to this?

The cables are in-wall by now, so moving A to another location is hard.

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,924 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a new LG B7 on the way, so I'm upgrading my receiver to take advantage.

I'm looking at the AVR-S530BT, since I have a fairly basic 5.1 setup right now and don't need higher end Atmos/etc features. What I DO want to be sure I get right is 4K and more importantly HDR comparability.

Looking at the specs for the S530 it does say it supports HDR, but not much else. Higher end models specifically mention HDR10/Dolby Vision.

Does the S530 not support both standards? Or am I barking up the wrong tree, and it doesn't really matter as long as it "passes through" my 4K HDR signal?

The source will be a UHD Blu-Ray player, and potentially an Nvidia Shield or similar for playing BD rips.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The S530BT only supports HDR10 while the higher level models also support Dolby Vision and HLG.

The newer S540BT supports all three HDR formats (HDR10, DV, HLG).

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
Perhaps some day you will be invited up to visit in the world of the Atmos gods. :D
:D :D :D

maybe. i’m in no rush though. :)

although if i keep hanging around here....

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
Hey all,

I just wanted to say that I have officially swapped out my Denon 4520 with a Denon X4400H. So far so good. I really enjoyed using the Audyssey app. I did 8 measurements and it sounds excellent!

Thank you for answering all of my questions over the last few months.

Cheers
Dan
i wonder how many 4520’s are out there doing nothing now? i bet there are quite a few. i may end up giving mine to my sister, as i can’t even get a nibble on one that i’m including an audyssey pro kit with.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I’m close to ordering either the Denon x3400h or the Marantz SR5012. It seems the primary difference in features is in the Audyssey (XT for the Marantz and XT32 for the Denon). However, I suspect that the Marantz may be a bit stronger for music listening, or is it?

Anyway, would XT32 provide much improvement over XT when used with a pretty standard 5.1 system? The addition of a second subwoofer is extremely unlikely in the near term.
What Hetfieldjames said.

FYI...there's an extra circuit in the Marantz that can help if you are using really long RCA cable runs to an external amp. Otherwise the marketing fluff about "superior sound for music" re: Marantz over Denon is complete poppycock IMHO. They are made by the same company using the same design except for that extra circuitry in the Marantz (which adds to the cost).

So its between that extra circuit in the SR5012 or XT32 in the X3400H for the same list price. The XT32 was huge, game-changing improvement for me in my room for both music and movies. I didn't need more than 7 speaker amps as I'm limited to 5.1.2 in my room so the X3400H was the best choice for me.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,929 ·
What Hetfieldjames said.

FYI...there's an extra circuit in the Marantz that can help if you are using really long RCA cable runs to an external amp. Otherwise the marketing fluff about "superior sound for music" re: Marantz over Denon is complete poppycock IMHO. They are made by the same company using the same design except for that extra circuitry in the Marantz (which adds to the cost).

So its between that extra circuit in the SR5012 or XT32 in the X3400H for the same list price. The XT32 was huge, game-changing improvement for me in my room for both music and movies. I didn't need more than 7 speaker amps as I'm limited to 5.1.2 in my room so the X3400H was the best choice for me.
Most Marantz owners who have tried both would disagree. ;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Most Marantz owners who have tried both would disagree. ;)
But there apparently has never been a double-blind test comparing the two so this is pure conjecture.

From a technical standpoint, that extra circuit in the Marantz is just a discrete opamp circuit inserted between the electronic volume chip (same one in 5012 & 3400 - see my earlier posts where I posted schematics) and the preamp out jacks / power amp inputs. Perhaps they use it for some gain which would redistribute the gain structure a little bit, but there is nothing mystical about it and no reasons why adding that would make music sound better. In fact, the signal path would be purer without it!

JD, you have access to both, correct? Why don’t you setup a double-blind listening test to finally put this question to rest? Or just send me a 5012 so I can do it 😁

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,931 ·
But there apparently has never been a double-blind test comparing the two so this is pure conjecture.

From a technical standpoint, that extra circuit in the Marantz is just a discrete opamp circuit inserted between the electronic volume chip (same one in 5012 & 3400 - see my earlier posts where I posted schematics) and the preamp out jacks / power amp inputs. Perhaps they use it for some gain which would redistribute the gain structure a little bit, but there is nothing mystical about it and no reasons why adding that would make music sound better. In fact, the signal path would be purer without it!

JD, you have access to both, correct? Why don’t you setup a double-blind listening test to finally put this question to rest? Or just send me a 5012 so I can do it 😁
No need as over the years many members have performed their own tests and come to the same conclusion that the Marantz performs better for 2CH music listening. ;)

As I only do mostly TV/movie audio listening, I'm more than satisfied to stick with my Denon AVRs. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the Denon X4400H vs X6400h preouts, quality vice? I current use a X5200W in a 7.2.4 setup, using main L/R preouts (set to large and no sub) to a Lyngdorff tdai 2170 performing bass management (stereo subs setup) and driving the main speakers.

I would like to upgrade for the 4K UHD and DV switching, EARC, DTS:X, and AURA 3D capabilities.

Since I use the Lyngdorff for 2 Ch music (2.2), the quality of the preouts only matters for multichannel materiel - mainly movies.

Will I have any benefit of getting the X6400H over the X4400H in this regard?

Bonus question:
I currently have problems with the X5200w preouts cutting off at high levels of low frequency output, like the battleships firing the cannons in hacksaw ridge, with the system calibrated to reference levels and the X5200w playing at -6 dB. The X5200W simply shuts off - or rather, goes in protected mode.
I expect the preouts are not really geared for a large + no sub setup, maybe too much voltage is output, I don’t know.
Will upgrading solve this issue? I.e., can the preouts of the 2017 models output higher levels (of voltage) than the X5200W?

Cheers
Jacob

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Just a heads up.....Surge can travel thru your dish line or cable line, then thru the HDMI to each devise and fry them.
I added small in-line coax surge preventers (about 1" long) to all my coax cables at the point where they attached to the first device in the house. I am told they are a little like a fuse that blows when presented with a surge from a nearby lightning strike, including a surge induced in the cable run. No idea if they actually work, but they were cheap and don't seem to degrade the signal. I have also used a "grounding block" at coax cable entrance points to the house. It looks like a feed-thru for coax cables, with an attachment for a grounding wire in the metal bar holding the feed-thru's. I put this in the antenna coax path in my attic, before running the coax to other parts of the house. The ground wire was run to a nearby copper cold water pipe. My cold water pipes are grounded by a 6' ground rod at an external hose bibb.

·
Vendor
30,864 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
No need as over the years many members have performed their own tests and come to the same conclusion that the Marantz performs better for 2CH music listening. ;)

As I only do mostly TV/movie audio listening, I'm more than satisfied to stick with my Denon AVRs. :)
On the contrary, I think there IS a real need to do the double-blind testing. To prevent the continued spreading of FUD for one good one.

"Over the years" things have certainly changed. DAC's and their supporting circuitry (such as the electronic volume control chips) have improved greatly in the last few years. My new X3400H sounds better to me than my old 3808ci, even in Direct mode because of these improvements.

Go back far enough and Denon and Marantz were completely separate companies. I know, I have restored and use daily a vintage Marantz 2275 receiver from 1976. It sounds wonderful!

But as D&M are manufacturing these two brands now, at least as far as the schematics are concerned, they are virtually identical except for that "HDAM" discrete opamp circuit in the Marantz units. It doesn't actually replace anything but is in series with the existing preamp circuitry.

There is not one solid technical reason for the Denon to sound in any way "worse" on music except in these two cases:

1) If long RCA cables are being used to feed an external amp the Marantz may have an advantage in being able to drive longer lines without hum or noise pickup. That HDAM circuit feeds the pre-out jacks directly.

2) The Marantz units (I think starting with the 5012 and up) also have multi-channel analog input jacks. I could see how if an analog source were connected to those jacks, the signal path may be more "pure" and perhaps even 100% analog. That could make some difference I suppose to a discriminating ear.

But if you are using only digital sources, there is absolutely no valid technical reason I can see for that discrete opamp "HDAM" stage to cause ANY difference in the sound whatsoever. In fact, the signal path is "purer" without it!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Also, AVR-X4400H users, do your volume and input select knobs rub/grind mechanically when turned?
Best to test with the unit in standby.
I have noticed this on *every* X series AVR I've handled, including my own two. So...different experience than others, plus I remember how smooth and nice those controls felt/looked before the X series *because I still have some around*! Maybe I'm just fussy...OK, no maybe. :)

Anyway, the "fix" is trivial. Just pull the knobs out, then push them back in until you're satisfied. They probably got pushed in a bit for/during shipping and slightly grind, they're just fine when pulled out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Remote for X3400 - do I need a remote?

So I recently bought an X3400 on Amazon Warehouse deals for a solid price. Showed up today, no remote. Contacted Amazon, they gave me enough to buy a new from Amazon @ $70.

My question is this, should I buy the OEM remote at that high cost, or get something else?

My Samsung TV has a smart remote that allows me to do some basic interaction with the AVR, then there's the app ... do I "NEED" a remote at all? I'm all of 1 hour into setting up, so I really haven't played yet post initial setup.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
On the contrary, I think there IS a real need to do the double-blind testing. To prevent the continued spreading of FUD for one good one.

"Over the years" things have certainly changed. DAC's and their supporting circuitry (such as the electronic volume control chips) have improved greatly in the last few years. My new X3400H sounds better to me than my old 3808ci, even in Direct mode because of these improvements.

Go back far enough and Denon and Marantz were completely separate companies. I know, I have restored and use daily a vintage Marantz 2275 receiver from 1976. It sounds wonderful!

But as D&M are manufacturing these two brands now, at least as far as the schematics are concerned, they are virtually identical except for that "HDAM" discrete opamp circuit in the Marantz units. It doesn't actually replace anything but is in series with the existing preamp circuitry.

There is not one solid technical reason for the Denon to sound in any way "worse" on music except in these two cases:

1) If long RCA cables are being used to feed an external amp the Marantz may have an advantage in being able to drive longer lines without hum or noise pickup. That HDAM circuit feeds the pre-out jacks directly.

2) The Marantz units (I think starting with the 5012 and up) also have multi-channel analog input jacks. I could see how if an analog source were connected to those jacks, the signal path may be more "pure" and perhaps even 100% analog. That could make some difference I suppose to a discriminating ear.

But if you are using only digital sources, there is absolutely no valid technical reason I can see for that discrete opamp "HDAM" stage to cause ANY difference in the sound whatsoever. In fact, the signal path is "purer" without it!
I've had the Marantz 7008 before buying the Denon X4400 last friday. The difference in sound is miniscule at best so I'd be hard pressed to say either receiver is better or worse for music. Actually, come to think of it, I've used a Denon 1500AE amp to drive the two front channels on both so maybe this invalidates my thinking that the two receivers are virtually the same...

6921 - 6940 of 14263 Posts