AVS Forum banner

8901 - 8920 of 13629 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i did, but that's not what i asked. is there a way to confirm the latest firmware via the menu on the 6400 is the question. it's not just for this specific instance, but in general. pg 1 lists a bunch of firmware updates, all titled by date. when i go to the avr menu, i don't see anything about a date (that i can find)
No date but you can display the current firmware level (and DTS level).

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Reference level offset. It determines at what level under Reference the DEQ function takes effect. 0dB starts the bass boost to the sub and surounds under Reference level(0dB.) 5dB starts it as if Reference level is 5dB down etc... so its bass boost effect at lower volumes is less the higher the RLO is set to. Just play with different offsets and choose the one that sounds best to you. I use 0dB RLO for movies and 15 dB for music.
Is it separately setable for music and movies or do you change it manually?

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Is it separately setable for music and movies or do you change it manually?
I change it either manually or add it to one of my 4 Quick Select buttons. I currently have them labeled music, movies, talk and streaming music with different audio settings for each.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The 4400 can't play video from USB. (You can play audio files.)

The obvious way to play it is a USB port on a BluRay player. I'm unfamiliar with the capabilities of an Apple TV.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I agree. This used to be the case with D&M's older models. To be more specific, I have an NR1501 (HDMI v1.3a) in my bedroom which does the right thing. It doesn't care whether or not the TV is on or off to produce an audio output, and it doesn't matter whether you're watching a video input or listening to an audio-only source. There's about 1 second of audio dropout when you turn the TV off or on, presumably while HDMI is re-syncing, but that's all.
Dredging this up with an update. I just replaced the Vizio P65-F1 with a Sony XBR-65Z9D. Unlike the Vizio, the Sony has a very good CEC/ARC implementation. Like my Samsung TV, I dont need to have the Sony on to listen to music. I could see on the Denon display "muting on" when I turned off the Vizio TV and the Denon powered off. The Sony and Samsung do not do that. Sony put a lot more effort into the CEC feature set. The connected devices on the Denon show on the Sony as external devices I can control which is very nice.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
If you look up the feature in your Owner's manual, you'll note the following (ie. your unit has already received the update):

Thanks for the tip.
My point was that I have Auto Update turned ON, but have not received the October 30th firmware update notification nor the download, while others have. Even checking the Denon update site shows nothing greater than XX8014 available to me. Apparently, Denon distributes their updates in dribs and drabs, not all-at-once. I have never encountered that scheme before.

·
Premium Member
87,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,910
Thanks for the tip.
My point was that I have Auto Update turned ON, but have not received the October 30th firmware update notification nor the download, while others have. Even checking the Denon update site shows nothing greater than XXavailable to me. Apparently, Denon distributes their updates in dribs and drabs, not all-at-once. I have never encountered that scheme before.
And my point was that with Auto Update = ON, you aren't notified when the AVR is updated, rather it simply gets updated.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
And my point was that with Auto Update = ON, you aren't notified when the AVR is updated, rather it simply gets updated.
I understand that. Because I am obsessive, I check the firmware version (General/Firmware) as well. When I saw that others were reporting an update, and I saw none, I was naturally curious.

·
Registered
395 Posts
How to use the X3400H's 12V trigger to turn on/off a device that doesn't have this feature? Is there some intermediary device that will allow for this? Where I can plug in my external amp and the device supplies power when the 12V trigger is activated from the AVR?

·
Registered
977 Posts
In due time you will get it

Just relax. I'm sure Denon does a controlled rollout so that it doesn't crash their servers.
I'd bet you will be updated within the next week or so.

I live in Canada and most times, I don't get the update until at least 2-3 weeks after the update is available. This update, I received the update 4 days after release
I understand that. Because I am obsessive, I check the firmware version (General/Firmware) as well. When I saw that others were reporting an update, and I saw none, I was naturally curious.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
How to use the X3400H's 12V trigger to turn on/off a device that doesn't have this feature? Is there some intermediary device that will allow for this? Where I can plug in my external amp and the device supplies power when the 12V trigger is activated from the AVR?
yes you can do this with a 12v relay (a relay is like an electrically commanded switch)
it needs a bit of research and soldering, nothing hard (a free wheel diode, a relay, and connecting all on the good points)
if you go this way, you need to check that your relay don't draw too much current from the denon on the 12v side of the relay, and support the kind of voltage / current on the commanded switch side, and that depends on what you put behind (what amp)

or easier, use a smart power outlet, or a master / slave one

I've built a thing like that to put in sleep mode a crown 1502 with the denon trigger

·
Registered
395 Posts
yes you can do this with a 12v relay (a relay is like an electrical commanded switch)
it needs a bit of research and soldering, nothing hard (a free wheel diode, a relay, and connecting all on the good points)
if you go this way, you need to check that your relay don't draw too much current from the denon on the 12v side of the relay, and support the kind of voltage / current on the commanded switch side, and that depends on what you put behind (what amp)

or easier, use a smart power outlet, or a master / slave one

I've built a thing like that to put in sleep mode a crown 1502 with the denon trigger
Thank you !!! Building my own relay is past my skill level. Can you elaborate on smart outlet or master/slave?

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Thank you !!! Building my own relay is past my skill level. Can you elaborate on smart outlet or master/slave?
Some power strips accept a 12v trigger. See, for example, https://www.nilesaudio.com/product/voltage-triggered-ac-power-strip-FG00242

Some "smart" power strips turn on "slave" outlets when the "master" outlet draws sufficient power. Unfortunately, they often have too low a threshold, so that if you turn on most of a receiver's "on in standby" features they'll always stay on.

Some "smart" power strips can be controlled using Alexa. See, for example, https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Monitoring-Protection-Assistant-HS300/dp/B07G95FFN3

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I am looking for what suggestions on what I should be running for SOUND MODE on my X2400H.
I have a 5.1 setup, all my TV viewing is through ATV4K (Youtube TV app, Netflix App).

Not sure what I should have for my sound mode for the receiver. The buttons on the remote are movie, music, game, pure. Should I set it to be (Pure button) Auto? (movie button) Dolby Surround? (movie button) DTS Virual X?

·
Premium Member
87,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,918
I am looking for what suggestions on what I should be running for SOUND MODE on my X2400H.
I have a 5.1 setup, all my TV viewing is through ATV4K (Youtube TV app, Netflix App).

Not sure what I should have for my sound mode for the receiver. The buttons on the remote are movie, music, game, pure. Should I set it to be (Pure button) Auto? (movie button) Dolby Surround? (movie button) DTS Virual X?
When you only have a 5.1 setup, you can select MOVIE - Dolby Digital or DTS depending on the source audio, or even easier to select PURE - AUTO.

When playing a DTS or PCM source, you can select MOVIE - DTS Virtual:X to simulate the effect of height speakers.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
When you only have a 5.1 setup, you can select MOVIE - Dolby Digital or DTS depending on the source audio, or even easier to select PURE - AUTO.

When playing a DTS or PCM source, you can select MOVIE - DTS Virtual:X to simulate the effect of height speakers.
Thanks. Maybe stick with MOVIE - Dolby Digital or Pure - Auto (although I heard pure gets rid of any Audessy settings). I just want to have 1 setting, set and forget about it. Don't want to have to swap modes all the time (90% of my watching is on Youtube.tv, 10% Netflix movies).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Remote not responsive

X4400h

Twice within the last 2 weeks or so my remote control has become completely unresponsive after about 1/2 hour.

Coincidentally, I'm currently receiving the "Update Firmware" message upon startup which I am denying via the remote (update now: no, turn auto update on: no, remind me later) because I'd rather download it from the Denon website just to be safe (I'm connected via wi-fi), and it's not available yet.

The remote still turns the TV on and off when this happens. I walked up to the X4400h and pushed the power button, and it too, was not responsive! I held the power button down until it reset, and now all is good again (remote works). Anybody else getting this? :confused:

8901 - 8920 of 13629 Posts