AVS Forum banner

12761 - 12780 of 13629 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The manual is wrong. I've been using Audyssey on my bi-polar Def Tech speakers for years for the better. Your loss if you choose not to do so. ;)
J.D.,

Unrelated, but are your Def Techs the model with the built-in powered subs and are they your LRs? If so, do you have the internal subs running off the sub-out of your AVR?

·
Registered
14 Posts
X2400H here with an odd problem.

In attempting to resolve issues with audio / video sync, I noticed that I get a slight (sub 100ms) audio delay when I enable anything except "Pure Direct". Is this normal? Most of the time I can live with the Pure Direct sound mode, but on some shows I prefer Movie. However the delay introduced by that is a non-starter.

Note my current setup is a Fire TV stick plugged into the TV directly with ARC back to the receiver from there. I settled on this setup as going straight to the receiver from the stick caused significant video delay on certain 4k+HDR shows (primarily Netflix) and I got tired of tweaking audio delays every time I watched one of those shows.

·
Premium Member
87,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,763 (Edited)
J.D.,

Unrelated, but are your Def Techs the model with the built-in powered subs and are they your LRs? If so, do you have the internal subs running off the sub-out of your AVR?
The built-in subs in my Def Tech towers can't hold a candle to the SVS PC12 Plus subs in my setup which are the only subs connected to the sub pre-outs. The Def Tech towers handle mid-range and up only. Additionally, individual dedicated sub placement generally provides a much better experience than when subs are located inside tower speakers.

I started out for several years with simply using the Def Tech tower subs, thinking I could save some money on a dedicated sub; however, it was a noticeable improvement in overall audio quality when I finally added a dedicated sub and more so when I eventually added the second for better room coverage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are a few wireless speaker kits on the market to include --> https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Amplifiers-Model-Better-than-Bluetooth/dp/B01ARM0VE0 which could be connected to the Surround Back speaker posts configured as Zone 2.

Important to note the S930H can only pass network, USB, or other 2CH analog sources (ie. red/white RCA cable; ie. no HDMI from AppleTV) to Zone 2 unless ALL ZONE STEREO is selected in which case the audio in the main zone is down mixed to 2CH as well.
Thank you JD. However, I already have two speakers connected to the Surround Back speaker posts for Atmos. So could I connect some kind of device to the 2nd HDMI Monitor (out) that would be capable to send the audio wirelessly to remote speakers? Or can the S930H send audio to remote speakers through the LAN connection (which is how I am currently connected to my router)?

·
Premium Member
87,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,765 (Edited)
Thank you JD. However, I already have two speakers connected to the Surround Back speaker posts for Atmos. So could I connect some kind of device to the 2nd HDMI Monitor (out) that would be capable to send the audio wirelessly to remote speakers? Or can the S930H send audio to remote speakers through the LAN connection (which is how I am currently connected to my router)?
The HDMI Monitor 2 output is simply a mirror of the Monitor 1 output. In order to pass audio through either output, would have to be set to "TV" and not "AVR" which defeats your use case. The ethernet jack is for connecting to a modem/router/extender only.

Tell your wife the HEOS speakers also come in white as I have found women more often select white when they are purchasing a wireless speaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi I ave a Denon AVR-X3500H and I was wondering what the correct HDMI video settings are on the AVR to let my TV handle the video instead of the receiver? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi I ave a Denon AVR-X3500H and I was wondering what the correct HDMI video settings are on the AVR to let my TV handle the video instead of the receiver? Thanks in advance.

It’s all in the manual and in the first 8 posts of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,768

The factory default setting of the i/p Scaler = Analog (p. 170 Owner's manual) means that all HDMI sources will pass through to let the display handle the upscaling (if any).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Denon AVRX3400H powering off it self while using optical inputs

I have this AVR-X3400H receiver and overall performed pretty OK. Unfortunately after almost a year of using it as my main AVR unit there is a problem I can't fix nor figure out on my own. For some reasons the whole unit started powering off while playing devices connected to Optical inputs. I have 2 CD players (Onkyo and Sony) connected to 2 available optical inputs in the back of the receiver. For last couple of months the receiver keeps shutting completely off in occasion I try to play any of my CD players. It happens after few minutes (sometimes more sometimes less) of playing music from CDs. Sometimes it happens after several minutes of playing it. There is no problems with using my several other devices which are mostly connected via HDMI inputs. This problem drives me crazy to the point that I sent it for repair. I've tried to troubleshooting it by: swapping devices and cables, tweaking up setting, factory reset etc. Nothing helps. The unit is still on warranty and Denon technicians already tested it. And guess what?? After several hours of "testing" it they didn't confirm my coplaints. The seller I bought it from washes hands off because it's been almost a year after purchase date, so they sent me back to Denon.
After years of using Onkyo audio video receivers I finally decided to try something different. And there I have it. I started to likening this Denon.
As far as troubleshooting: I did switch between CD players, Switched optical cables, factory reset, all the devices I'm referring to are connected from different power sources, there is no sleep mode set up.
Has anyone came across a similar problem?

·
Premium Member
87,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,770
I have this AVR-X3400H receiver and overall performed pretty OK. Unfortunately after almost a year of using it as my main AVR unit there is a problem I can't fix nor figure out on my own. For some reasons the whole unit started powering off while playing devices connected to Optical inputs. I have 2 CD players (Onkyo and Sony) connected to 2 available optical inputs in the back of the receiver. For last couple of months the receiver keeps shutting completely off in occasion I try to play any of my CD players. It happens after few minutes (sometimes more sometimes less) of playing music from CDs. Sometimes it happens after several minutes of playing it. There is no problems with using my several other devices which are mostly connected via HDMI inputs. This problem drives me crazy to the point that I sent it for repair. I've tried to troubleshooting it by: swapping devices and cables, tweaking up setting, factory reset etc. Nothing helps. The unit is still on warranty and Denon technicians already tested it. And guess what?? After several hours of "testing" it they didn't confirm my coplaints. The seller I bought it from washes hands off because it's been almost a year after purchase date, so they sent me back to Denon.
After years of using Onkyo audio video receivers I finally decided to try something different. And there I have it. I started to likening this Denon.
As far as troubleshooting: I did switch between CD players, Switched optical cables, factory reset, all the devices I'm referring to are connected from different power sources, there is no sleep mode set up.
Given the techs were not able to replicate the issue with other devices connected via the optical inputs, the issue would seem to be a result of your CD players. Do you have other non-CD devices that you can test that have optical outputs (eg. cable/sat box or Blu Ray player)? Another option is to purchase an optical --> coax digital converter and try using the coax digital inputs.

·
Registered
12,781 Posts
Do you have plenty of ventilation around the AVR?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Given the techs were not able to replicate the issue with other devices connected via the optical inputs, the issue would seem to be a result of your CD players. Do you have other non-CD devices that you can test that have optical outputs (eg. cable/sat box or Blu Ray player)? Another option is to purchase an optical --> coax digital converter and try using the coax digital inputs.
I have 2 CD players: Onkyo c-730 and Sony cdp-ce500. I've had them even before connected to Denon receiver (previously I used one of the Onkyo similar class receiver). I never had any problems with the CD players and since there are both connected to the same via optical inputs (there are 2 opt inputs available) I had a chance to swap them back and forth. No matter which CD player I use the same thing (shutting off) happening with the receiver. That's why I don't really think that may be one of the players. Since Denon service claims they can't figure out or just repeat my problem I will get it back and then will continue testing all of my devices. That includes cables. At this point I'm in the situation where I have to prove/show to Denon that my receiver really does turns off while playing CDs.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Have a 5.1 audio system hooked up in my living room with a Denon 2400H receiver.
Seems my little one was messing with the remote and changed the sound mode. What do most people set their sound mode types to? This is for AppleTV/ YoutubeTV / Netflix viewing.
Movie / Dolby Surround?
Should I just press the "Pure" button on remote and choose "Auto" ? What do most home viewers use? I only use an AppleTV box with my unit (no blu ray player)

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2400H/NA/EN/GFNFSYvhhpesdv.php
I have mine default to Stereo, it will keep the last thing you select, then when anything bitstreams it automatically changes to the source, i.e. DTS, DD+, etc.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
@jdsmoothie,

I have a question in regards to something that's had me curious since getting my X2400.

First, here's what promted this inquiry...

Whenever I replaced my Onkyo TX-NR656 with the Denon I noticed that after calibration my sub seemed to run a bit hotter (frequency wise?) and created some unwanted noises (almost like they were being overdriven) that forced me to reduce the gain a couple of dBs to help eliminate them.

Question: Have you ever heard of this happening before? If so, what would cause this?

I ask this, because I've often wondered if the Denon is just sending a hotter signal than the Onkyo. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer, so this is just a hypothesis on my part. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks,

Darrell

·
Premium Member
87,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,776
@jdsmoothie,

I have a question in regards to something that's had me curious since getting my X2400.

First, here's what promted this inquiry...

Whenever I replaced my Onkyo TX-NR656 with the Denon I noticed that after calibration my sub seemed to run a bit hotter (frequency wise?) and created some unwanted noises (almost like they were being overdriven) that forced me to reduce the gain a couple of dBs to help eliminate them.

Question: Have you ever heard of this happening before? If so, what would cause this?

I ask this, because I've often wondered if the Denon is just sending a hotter signal than the Onkyo. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer, so this is just a hypothesis on my part. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks,

Darrell
Nope. In fact, after running Audyssey, the vast majority of owners generally find the Subwoofer output to be too weak which is why the recommendation is to bump it up about +5dB.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Nope. In fact, after running Audyssey, the vast majority of owners generally find the Subwoofer output to be too weak which is why the recommendation is to bump it up about +5dB.
I thought that was because we're all just a bunch of bass junkies. :D

Thanks for the response. I suppose this will have to remain a mistery unless I just happen to stumble upon a solution.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I though about it too. My receiver is in the cabinet with open doors. There never was issue with overheating. During my tests I had it out of the cabinet so I could play with cables and inputs etc.
It's probably a short in the speaker wire. Try replacing the wire to each speaker, if you're just running it in stereo you only have to replace the 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's probably a short in the speaker wire. Try replacing the wire to each speaker, if you're just running it in stereo you only have to replace the 2.
I checked that too. Also I ran Audissey mic. If there was a problem with speakers/wires it would have told me. It did detected situation like that when I connected my Denon for the first time. The Audissey didn't let go thought the whole set up until I corrected a wire.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I checked that too. Also I ran Audissey mic. If there was a problem with speakers/wires it would have told me. It did detected situation like that when I connected my Denon for the first time. The Audissey didn't let go thought the whole set up until I corrected a wire.
That's not how it works. It may be a very small bridge that doesn't touch until it warms up. It's about the cheapest fix you can make, just replace both wires, don't just inspect them.

Audyssey will only tell you if you have a speaker out of phase and they aren't always right on that too.

12761 - 12780 of 13629 Posts