AVS Forum banner

14001 - 14020 of 14071 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
So what do yoy think would be my best streamer option to substitute the tv apps?
It's probably an app update from Netflix not a Denon issue. So maybe wait and just have DD on instead of DD+ and see if an update comes out. I'm not at home to test my Netflix

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's probably an app update from Netflix not a Denon issue. So maybe wait and just have DD on instead of DD+ and see if an update comes out. I'm not at home to test my Netflix

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
That is a good suggestion. I might try to uninstall the tv app and reinstall it to see what happens.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm seeing different pieces of info on this. I have an X2400H and a Sony 77OLED. Both have the option to support Enhanced 4K. Should I turn it on for both? I do not have any 4k coming through the AVR today. All 4k plays via apps on the TV. I may be getting an Xfinity 4K box - just haven't yet. My AVR is the single source for incoming HDMI and I also use ARC.

Any additional clarity or processing I'll benefit from?

THX

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I'm seeing different pieces of info on this. I have an X2400H and a Sony 77OLED. Both have the option to support Enhanced 4K. Should I turn it on for both? I do not have any 4k coming through the AVR today. All 4k plays via apps on the TV. I may be getting an Xfinity 4K box - just haven't yet. My AVR is the single source for incoming HDMI and I also use ARC.

THX
Usually you have to turn on Enhanced mode in order to support HDR/DV and to ensure it is using the right color spaces.

·
Registered
646 Posts

THX
I have the X2400H. The owners manual page 163 (PDF) describes the Standard vs Enhanced setting under "4K Signal Format." If the TV supports "Enhanced" then set the Denon to "Enhanced" as well. Note that it will only impact a 4K source passing through the Denon to the TV. If the signal you are watching is coming from the TV (via an app, for example) or is plugged directly into the TV bypassing the AVR then the setting (on the Denon) will have no impact.

Reactions: wardman1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to change the subject but I have a question that I have not been able to find via searching - how do I adjust the power on settings for a specified input on the AVR-X3400H?

I have two different android tv boxes (FireTV 4K and Nvidia Shield); For TV watching I want things setup in a certain way, such as having the dialog level adjust on (+3 dB), Dolby Digital Movie Surround mode, Dynamic Volume Med. and so on. The Nvidia Shield always powers on to the desired state, however, the FireTV never does. Even if I change the settings as desired, if I power off then on, it will not come up in the correct way. I have a way to easily adjust all of the settings to desired values by long pressing the mute button on my Harmony remote - it signals my home controller to issue a series of commands which gets the AVR in the proper state, but I would really like to know how to get the AVR to either remain in the proper state (if it is already there), or how to configure the proper settings upon power on or input setlect per input. Can anyone explain if this is possible and how?

·
Premium Member
90,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,009
Sorry, don't mean to change the subject but I have a question that I have not been able to find via searching - how do I adjust the power on settings for a specified input on the AVR-X3400H?

I have two different android tv boxes (FireTV 4K and Nvidia Shield); For TV watching I want things setup in a certain way, such as having the dialog level adjust on (+3 dB), Dolby Digital Movie Surround mode, Dynamic Volume Med. and so on. The Nvidia Shield always powers on to the desired state, however, the FireTV never does. Even if I change the settings as desired, if I power off then on, it will not come up in the correct way. I have a way to easily adjust all of the settings to desired values by long pressing the mute button on my Harmony remote - it signals my home controller to issue a series of commands which gets the AVR in the proper state, but I would really like to know how to get the AVR to either remain in the proper state (if it is already there), or how to configure the proper settings upon power on or input setlect per input. Can anyone explain if this is possible and how?

The X3400H features four Quick Select buttons which can be used to support your use case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Denon AVR-2400 running my 7.2 theater using a Ben-Q HT2050A projector. I am using an Nvidia Shield as my media source through the AVR. I also have (2) pairs of in-ceiling speakers outside of the theater in my bar/open basement area. Question - How would I go about getting the audio out of my theater so that I can play it simultaneously on the other 4 speakers outside of the theater? The Nvidia does not have any audio outs. Do I need a new receiver that will output HDMI audio via zone 2? Or how can I get the audio out to an additional amp/receiver so that all the audio is in sync? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Either your AVR have zones, or has a pair of RCA OUT labeled as downmix. Then you have to verify, from manual, these outputs work digital as well as analog inputs. These outputs, if found, can only do stereo, and no, I cannot guarantee you they will be in-sync. Once again, the manual would be my go-to info on potential sync issues and if correctable at all.

·
Premium Member
90,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,012
I have a Denon AVR-2400 running my 7.2 theater using a Ben-Q HT2050A projector. I am using an Nvidia Shield as my media source through the AVR. I also have (2) pairs of in-ceiling speakers outside of the theater in my bar/open basement area. Question - How would I go about getting the audio out of my theater so that I can play it simultaneously on the other 4 speakers outside of the theater? The Nvidia does not have any audio outs. Do I need a new receiver that will output HDMI audio via zone 2? Or how can I get the audio out to an additional amp/receiver so that all the audio is in sync? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
The X2400H is a 7CH model and as it is already powering 7 speakers in the main zone, you will need to connect an external amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs in order to power the Zone 2 speakers.

Also note, the X2400H is discussed in the 2017 Denon AVR Owner's thread. Review posts 1-8 in that thread, especially noting post #3 item 12 (Zone 2).

"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) | AVS Forum

·
Registered
646 Posts
As per what @jdsmoothie points out in the manual for the x2400H, you would need to switch to "all zone stereo" for your plan to work.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
You could use zone 2 pre-outs and an external amp but then you would have to downmix to stereo in all zones and I’m not even sure it would work then because the audio in from the Shield is coming in over HDMI which may cause an issue, not sure. One way around all that is to run your Shield thru a audio extractor to split out the audio first prior to sending it to your AVR and then feed that audio into a separate amp. That is what I do, for a slightly different reason, using this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HHSJVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Two related questions (and please don't tell me my hearing doesn't go over 20 kHz--I know, I know...):
1. I know that Audyssey is limited in these AVRs to a maximum of 48 kHz, and higher-resolution files are down-rez'ed for that reason. If I'm playing 24/96 or higher files with Audyssey turned off, does the digital bass management circuitry in the x4400h also have some kind of limitation that causes these files to be down-rezz'ed?

2. Is there a setting for 2-channel music using my speakers and my sub in DIRECT mode that does NOT give me double bass (i.e., bass frequencies sent to the mains and also to my sub)? And do I have to change that setting when DIRECT isn't in use?

·
Premium Member
90,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,016
Two related questions (and please don't tell me my hearing doesn't go over 20 kHz--I know, I know...):
1. I know that Audyssey is limited in these AVRs to a maximum of 48 kHz, and higher-resolution files are down-rez'ed for that reason. If I'm playing 24/96 or higher files with Audyssey turned off, does the digital bass management circuitry in the x4400h also have some kind of limitation that causes these files to be down-rezz'ed?

2. Is there a setting for 2-channel music using my speakers and my sub in DIRECT mode that does NOT give me double bass (i.e., bass frequencies sent to the mains and also to my sub)? And do I have to change that setting when DIRECT isn't in use?
1. Nope.
2. Nope.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I use a dB meter, positioned adjacent to the speaker in question.
Unlike some others, I have no problem with Atmos via eARC on my X3400H.
Lucky you. Further testing determined that I think Atmos is definitely passing though only when the TV's audio output is set to Auto and not Passthru or PCM.

Early in Wreck-it Ralph Breaks The Internet (on Mouse+), when the arcade owner is talking about fixing Vanelope's game after the girl tore the steering wheel off, there's a shot showing the characters in the game listening and the owner's voice distinctly comes from the top right back Atmos speaker.

Still never shows anything but Dolby Surround on the X4400's display. Bother.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi, I have a question about a VCR. I’m trying to hook it up to my Denon 3400 via the DVD inputs. The 3400 feeds into a Sony XBR 930E through the output HDMI port of the 3400H into HDMI2 of the 930E. As far as I can tell there are no analog or component inputs on the 930E. I get audio but no video. Is it even possible to do this?

·
Premium Member
90,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,019
Hi, I have a question about a VCR. I’m trying to hook it up to my Denon 3400 via the DVD inputs. The 3400 feeds into a Sony XBR 930E through the output HDMI port of the 3400H into HDMI2 of the 930E. As far as I can tell there are no analog or component inputs on the 930E. I get audio but no video. Is it even possible to do this?
As noted on p. 244 of the X3400H Owner's manual, it does feature component --> HDMI conversion; however, the conversion is not guaranteed for all legacy VCR models. You may need to purchase a 3rd party component ---> HDMI converter and then connect the HDMI output to the X3400H.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As noted on p. 244 of the X3400H Owner's manual, it does feature component --> HDMI conversion; however, the conversion is not guaranteed for all legacy VCR models. You may need to purchase a 3rd party component ---> HDMI converter and then connect the HDMI output to the X3400H.
Thanks for the quick response. I did like you said and got an RCA to HDMI converter, only cost a few bucks, and will be here Sunday.

14001 - 14020 of 14071 Posts