AVS Forum banner

14021 - 14040 of 14071 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well I got one of my retro relics working. The turntable works with a phono preamp connected to the CD input. I have not used it in 35 years.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ever since I updated the firmware on my X6400H around Christmas, I have had to unplug and reboot it about once a week. My Harmony turns everything on....and no picture. Now I know that this means I have to reboot the Denon.

The first time the receiver LCD screen was blank and I unplugged, rebooted, and it came back. The next week the screen said "Main zone on" and it never did change to the input on the screen. I could not power it off with the hard power button, and again had to reboot with a hard unplug.

It never did that before this upgrade so it does seem to point to the firmware, but is it the firmware or something else?
Thanks,
BJBBJB

·
Premium Member
90,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,023
Ever since I updated the firmware on my X6400H around Christmas, I have had to unplug and reboot it about once a week. My Harmony turns everything on....and no picture. Now I know that this means I have to reboot the Denon.

The first time the receiver LCD screen was blank and I unplugged, rebooted, and it came back. The next week the screen said "Main zone on" and it never did change to the input on the screen. I could not power it off with the hard power button, and again had to reboot with a hard unplug.

It never did that before this upgrade so it does seem to point to the firmware, but is it the firmware or something else?
Thanks,
BJBBJB
If it were the firmware, there would be other complaints here so not likely that.

You can mitigate HDMI handshake issues by powering on the components in a specific order, generally: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source. This power on procedure can be programmed into your Harmony remote.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If it were the firmware, there would be other complaints here so not likely that.

You can mitigate HDMI handshake issues by powering on the components in a specific order, generally: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source. This power on procedure can be programmed into your Harmony remote.
@jdsmoothie,
Thanks. I definitely have it setup almost exactly like that, and it worked pretty rock solid until 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Would a bad handshake issue cause the receiver to freeze up? I might just disconnect all, let I find tv again etc.

Thanks,
BJBBJB

·
Premium Member
90,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,025
@jdsmoothie,
Thanks. I definitely have it setup almost exactly like that, and it worked pretty rock solid until 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Would a bad handshake issue cause the receiver to freeze up? I might just disconnect all, let I find tv again etc.

Thanks,
BJBBJB
Definitely try disconnecting all power and HDMI cables for 10 minutes and then reconnecting.

·
Registered
304 Posts
In the AVR remote app, under audio - subwoofer level adjust, does that just add or subtract from the level already set for subwoofers, or does it overdrive the level completely?

For example if my sub trim is at -7.5 in the speaker levels setup after Audyssey, and I use the app subwoofer level adjust to turn on at +4, does that set the trim level then to -3.5 effectively?

Or does it override and make the -7.5 trim +4 for a net gain of +11.5?

·
Registered
304 Posts
In the AVR remote app, under audio - subwoofer level adjust, does that just add or subtract from the level already set for subwoofers, or does it overdrive the level completely?

For example if my sub trim is at -7.5 in the speaker levels setup after Audyssey, and I use the app subwoofer level adjust to turn on at +4, does that set the trim level then to -3.5 effectively?

Well I answered my own question. It was pretty obvious when testing that it is an override to the subwoofer trim.

·
Premium Member
90,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,028

There is a lot of helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread to include some information in post #4 item 1 on why NOT to use the Subwoofer Level Adjust setting.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is a lot of helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread to include some information in post #4 item 1 on why NOT to use the Subwoofer Level Adjust setting.
Thanks I couldn’t find it for some reason. I guess I’m an idiot.

Seems fine to use for quick on the fly adjustments, as long as you understand how it works. I’m moving away from SVS subs so this is a replacement for the SVS app in terms of changing sub volume. I like using the apps over remotes.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Time to test it extensively then.

Weird that the amp would fail from sitting on a shelf for a few months, not being used.
Did you end up finding anything/learning anything with this?

My problem isn't identical to yours (not a no-load power off), but I've been having protection mode failures with my x4400h as well...

·
Premium Member
90,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,032
Did you end up finding anything/learning anything with this?

My problem isn't identical to yours (not a no-load power off), but I've been having protection mode failures with my x4400h as well...
Refer to post #3 item 2J for helpful information about what can cause the "Protection Mode."

·
Registered
342 Posts
Can someone confirm that the Denon X6400H is fully compatible with HDR10+?
I bought a Fire Stick 4K (supposedly supports HDR10+)and I'm trying to get Prime video content in HDR10+ but can't get any when connected to the receiver. Have not tried to connect directly to the tv, but if I do that the then will not be able to hear the Atmos soundtrack from Prime Video.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I bought a Fire Stick 4K (supposedly supports HDR10+)and I'm trying to get Prime video content in HDR10+ but can't get any when connected to the receiver. Have not tried to connect directly to the tv, but if I do that the then will not be able to hear the Atmos soundtrack from Prime Video.
Nope. Only Dolby Vision is supported. As someone that has a Samsung tv, i can confirm that HDR10+ doesn't pass through. I use the tv app for Amazon.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: chiquito3

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
We don't get the benefit of both worlds. Either HDR10+ and no Atmos or no HDR10+ and have Atmos.

Reactions: chiquito3

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
What show? - NM, found a list. Prime will default to whatever your display/AVR supports. IIRC there are only certain displays that even support HDR10+ currently (Samsung ?).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Too bad! I just bought the Fire Stick because I wanted to get both HDR10+ and Atmos but dint not even though that the receiver had to be compatible too.
Thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What show? - NM, found a list. Prime will default to whatever your display/AVR supports. IIRC there are only certain displays that even support HDR10+ currently (Samsung ?).
Yup Samsung and Panasonic were the only "major" HDR10+ display makers. HDR10+ isn't widely supported or used anymore. HDR and DV

·
Registered
342 Posts
Dammed Samsung for letting us out of the Dolby Vision wagon! I do love the way my TV looks but would love it more if it was DV capable.

14021 - 14040 of 14071 Posts