AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1114 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Finally ran the Audyssey calibration and I must say it is much more simpler, faster, and overall better than Pioneer’s MCACC.

I’m impressed so far with the sound output and how clean it sounds. Thumbs up!

Something I’m a little confused about and although my speakers can go pretty low for even a bookshelf speaker (Phase Technology PC 3.5 LCR), I’ve always set them at 80Hz crossover and when doing the Pioneer MCACC you’d set the crossover and speaker sizes before you go into doing the calibration.

With the Audyssey you don’t. So my confusion is this...it came back at full range but I don’t see where the LFE channel crossover is set to a desired setting. I didn’t set it before running Audyssey.

UPDATE
I did just look into the settings and the main+center Is set to FULL RANGE and 80Hz but it’s greyed out. The surround speakers are set to 110Hz and it appears to be something I can change but not the mains.

Comments?

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,062
Finally ran the Audyssey calibration and I must say it is much more simpler, faster, and overall better than Pioneer’s MCACC.

I’m impressed so far with the sound output and how clean it sounds. Thumbs up!

Something I’m a little confused about and although my speakers can go pretty low for even a bookshelf speaker (Phase Technology PC 3.5 LCR), I’ve always set them at 80Hz crossover and when doing the Pioneer MCACC you’d set the crossover and speaker sizes before you go into doing the calibration.

With the Audyssey you don’t. So my confusion is this...it came back at full range but I don’t see where the LFE channel crossover is set to a desired setting. I didn’t set it before running Audyssey.

UPDATE
I did just look into the settings and the main+center Is set to FULL RANGE and 80Hz but it’s greyed out. The surround speakers are set to 110Hz and it appears to be something I can change but not the mains.

Comments?
Audyssey ignores all settings made prior to it creating a new EQ. After running Audyssey, it is recommended you go into MANUAL SETUP and change the LARGE --> SMALL and raise any crossovers set 80Hz as is.

The setting (p. 228 Owner's manual) factory defaults to 120Hz (only impacts the LFE signal 20Hz - 120Hz) which is where it should remain for the vast majority of owners (unless using REW and attempting to tweak the LFE).

Review the Audyssey FAQ for more info --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2376770-official-audyssey-thread-part-ii.html

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
searched, but didnt find anything directly related.

Watched Midway tonight and noticed the sound was nowhere near as loud as my last bluray (ford vs ferrari) I watched. I figured a setting got changed etc.. I went into the audio settings in setup, the SOUND PARAMETERS. Found a setting called loudness management which was on. The dynamic compression was set to AUTO. I turned the loudness management setting to OFF which then turned off the dynamic compression, or greyed it out. The sound immediately got tons better, fuller etc...

Im assuming the only reason for this setting is for neighbors? Not sure why you would want this setting on? thanks in advance.

Cinema EQ
Gently softens the upper treble range of movie soundtracks to reduce possible harshness and improve clarity.

On:

“Cinema EQ” is used.

Off
(Default):

“Cinema EQ” is not used.

Loudness Management
This sets whether to output as specified in “Dynamic Compression” or output directly without compressing the dynamic range of audio recorded in the disc.

On
(Default):

Out*puts are given based on enabling the set*tings made in “dynamic Compression” and Dialogue normalization function.

Off:

“Dynamic Com*pression” set*tings and Dialogue nor*mal*iza*tion are dis*abled, and the sig*nals on the disc are out*put as is.

“Loudness Management” can be set when Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos signal is input.

Dynamic Compression
Compress dynamic range (difference between loud and soft sounds).

Auto:

Au*to*matic dy*namic range com*pres*sion on/off con*trol ac*cord*ing to source.

Low / Medium / High:

These set the com*pres*sion level.

Off:

Dy*namic range com*pres*sion is al*ways off.

“Dynamic Compression” can be set when Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos or DTS signal is input.

The default setting is “Off”. When the input signal is the Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos source, the default setting is “Auto”.

“Auto” cannot be set when inputting a DTS signal.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I’m having a issue with almost all the time when I go into the setup menu and I select the HDMI SETUP section, it locks up my unit.

I cannot get out of the menus, I cannot even power off the 7704 with the power button on the front on the device.

I’m fully updated in the firmware. Or at least it says I have the latest.

Ideas, as this is annoying. It’s done it to my at least 10 times so far and I just bought it.
Try and do a restore factory firmware see if that helps.. Latest firmware introduced all manner of problems in my unit,maybe same happened in your location? At least it is worth a try before shipping unit to warranty center.

Marantz Europe has the worst customer support i have ever encountered so far,which is pretty impressive..And not in a good way..

·
Registered
790 Posts
I’️m having a issue with almost all the time when I go into the setup menu and I select the HDMI SETUP section, it locks up my unit.

I cannot get out of the menus, I cannot even power off the 7704 with the power button on the front on the device.

I’️m fully updated in the firmware. Or at least it says I have the latest.

Ideas, as this is annoying. It’️s done it to my at least 10 times so far and I just bought it.
Try and do a restore factory firmware see if that helps.. Latest firmware introduced all manner of problems in my unit,maybe same happened in your location? At least it is worth a try before shipping unit to warranty center.

Marantz Europe has the worst customer support i have ever encountered so far,which is pretty impressive..And not in a good way..

Before I even set it up I plugged it in and did a full factory reset where it restore the original firmware shipped with the unit.

Once that fit done I did a software update to where it is now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Before I even set it up I plugged it in and did a full factory reset where it restore the original firmware shipped with the unit.

There is a difference between factory reset and factory restore..

Reset to original factory settings (no change in current firmware version)
1. On the front panel, turn OFF the power using the POWER button.
2. On the front panel, momentarily press and then release the POWER button (as you would when normally powering on the unit) while simultaneously pressing/holding the GAME and INFO buttons (under front panel flap).
3. Remove your fingers from the GAME and INFO buttons when “Initialized” appears on the front panel display.

Factory Restore (restore to original factory firmware version)
1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Simultaneously press/hold the: "M-DAX" and "DYNAMIC EQ" buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel. This procedure will take 15-20 minutes to restore to the original factory firmware.

So if you just did a factory reset it did NOT revert the firmware..Also,if you immediatly updated to latest firmware after turning on,you dont know if it would have worked to run it with the factory firmware

Anyways it was just worth trying as it fixed my problems.

·
Registered
790 Posts

There is a difference between factory reset and factory restore..

Reset to original factory settings (no change in current firmware version)
1. On the front panel, turn OFF the power using the POWER button.
2. On the front panel, momentarily press and then release the POWER button (as you would when normally powering on the unit) while simultaneously pressing/holding the GAME and INFO buttons (under front panel flap).
3. Remove your fingers from the GAME and INFO buttons when “Initialized” appears on the front panel display.

Factory Restore (restore to original factory firmware version)
1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Simultaneously press/hold the: "M-DAX" and "DYNAMIC EQ" buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel. This procedure will take 15-20 minutes to restore to the original factory firmware.

So if you just did a factory reset it did NOT revert the firmware..Also,if you immediatly updated to latest firmware after turning on,you dont know if it would have worked to run it with the factory firmware

Anyways it was just worth trying as it fixed my problems.

I did the Factory Restore which is the second one in your list.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah but did you update the unit immediately after or run it with factory firmware? I know when i reset mine,it wants to update as soon as i power it on or after the setup wizard has run its course.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah but did you update the unit immediately after or run it with factory firmware? I know when i reset mine,it wants to update as soon as i power it on or after the setup wizard has run its course.
I can’t remember exactly but it was almost as soon as it was restored. I believe I manually went in and did the software update before I even did anything input/speakers settings.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can’t remember exactly but it was almost as soon as it was restored. I believe I manually went in and did the software update before I even did anything input/speakers settings.

Well then my advice stands for your hdmi problem,try and factory reset firmware and DONT update until you know if it fixed your problem or not..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been having something strange happening on a few occasions. Everything works fine but a few times over the last year and I believe it was always on a Sunday evening. I have the system on all day and I turn it off around 9:00, I go to turn it on a couple hours later and the amps won't turn on as if the triggers aren't firing. I power everything off and still a problem, I manually turn on the amps but no sound. i also try different sources and sound fields but nothing. However the next morning all is good, not sure what to do if it never recovers. The last and least desired would be to do a factory reset on the AV7704.

Has anyone seen this and thanks for reading and any possible solutions.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Can someone tell me if this is how this is suppose to work and how to set this up correctly?

When I have guest I'd prefer them to use just the Sony 900F and not my entire audio system so the sound would be coming from the Sony TV speakers only not my audio system. So I'm curious about the HDMI Pass Through feature and how to set it up.

My Xfinity cable box is directly connected to the AV7704 and this is where I'm curious if this feature is supposed to work lik this.

If they power up just the Sony TV and although the cable box is connected to the AV7704 (but not powered on) will I get sound coming from my TV speakers? So they don't have to power on the entire system?

If this will work then great but not sure of how it needs to be set up. Right now I'm using LAST as the PASS THROUGH SOURCE and I'm thinking it needs to be changed to possibly CBL/SAT.

Also, if another device such as the built in smart tv features are used or a Apple TV is used will the tv get sound out of the tv speakers from those sources also?

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,073
Can someone tell me if this is how this is suppose to work and how to set this up correctly?

When I have guest I'd prefer them to use just the Sony 900F and not my entire audio system so the sound would be coming from the Sony TV speakers only not my audio system. So I'm curious about the HDMI Pass Through feature and how to set it up.

My Xfinity cable box is directly connected to the AV7704 and this is where I'm curious if this feature is supposed to work lik this.

If they power up just the Sony TV and although the cable box is connected to the AV7704 (but not powered on) will I get sound coming from my TV speakers? So they don't have to power on the entire system?

If this will work then great but not sure of how it needs to be set up. Right now I'm using LAST as the PASS THROUGH SOURCE and I'm thinking it needs to be changed to possibly CBL/SAT.

Also, if another device such as the built in smart tv features are used or a Apple TV is used will the tv get sound out of the tv speakers from those sources also?
With set to ON, if "LAST" is selected as the , then only the last source used before the AV7704 was powered off can pass through. Instead set it to "CBL/SAT" if that is always the only source that would be passed when the AV7704 is in standby.

If one of the TV's smart apps is being played, then the TV must be set to play audio via the TV's speakers.

As only one source can pass through the AV7704 when in Standby, you would need to connect the Apple TV directly to the TV when a guest is present.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
searched, but didnt find anything directly related.

Watched Midway tonight and noticed the sound was nowhere near as loud as my last bluray (ford vs ferrari) I watched. I figured a setting got changed etc.. I went into the audio settings in setup, the SOUND PARAMETERS. Found a setting called loudness management which was on. The dynamic compression was set to AUTO. I turned the loudness management setting to OFF which then turned off the dynamic compression, or greyed it out. The sound immediately got tons better, fuller etc...

Im assuming the only reason for this setting is for neighbors? Not sure why you would want this setting on? thanks in advance.

Cinema EQ
Gently softens the upper treble range of movie soundtracks to reduce possible harshness and improve clarity.

On:

“Cinema EQ” is used.

Off
(Default):

“Cinema EQ” is not used.

Loudness Management
This sets whether to output as specified in “Dynamic Compression” or output directly without compressing the dynamic range of audio recorded in the disc.

On
(Default):

Out*puts are given based on enabling the set*tings made in “dynamic Compression” and Dialogue normalization function.

Off:

“Dynamic Com*pression” set*tings and Dialogue nor*mal*iza*tion are dis*abled, and the sig*nals on the disc are out*put as is.

“Loudness Management” can be set when Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos signal is input.

Dynamic Compression
Compress dynamic range (difference between loud and soft sounds).

Auto:

Au*to*matic dy*namic range com*pres*sion on/off con*trol ac*cord*ing to source.

Low / Medium / High:

These set the com*pres*sion level.

Off:

Dy*namic range com*pres*sion is al*ways off.

“Dynamic Compression” can be set when Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos or DTS signal is input.

The default setting is “Off”. When the input signal is the Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos source, the default setting is “Auto”.

“Auto” cannot be set when inputting a DTS signal.
Agreed. It’s an absolutely horrible setting. Some discs, for whatever reason, auto trigger this to on when they have a Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos mixes - I’ve never seen a DTS-HD MA or DTS:X disc do it. Thor Ragnarok is one of those discs - I’ve watched it twice and it is immediately noticeable when the movie starts up. Unfortunately, it now has me checking this setting every time I start up a disc. Annoying!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Agreed. It’s an absolutely horrible setting. Some discs, for whatever reason, auto trigger this to on when they have a Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos mixes - I’ve never seen a DTS-HD MA or DTS:X disc do it. Thor Ragnarok is one of those discs - I’ve watched it twice and it is immediately noticeable when the movie starts up. Unfortunately, it now has me checking this setting every time I start up a disc. Annoying!
yes. I set mine to DIRECT. This setting im understanding does nothing to the audio.

·
Registered
389 Posts

JD, they pulled the firmware for the 7704 from the site you link to. Do you happen to know if this is because of errors in it like i am experiencing?

I managed to secure the next to last fw update from my dealer,but they refuse to honor warranty if i downgrade/update manually myself,so i am reluctant to do so, even if it looks straightforward like any other device with upgradeable firmware.

So was wondering if there were a reason for marantz pulling the 7704 fw specifically?

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,077
JD, they pulled the firmware for the 7704 from the site you link to. Do you happen to know if this is because of errors in it like i am experiencing?

I managed to secure the next to last fw update from my dealer,but they refuse to honor warranty if i downgrade/update manually myself,so i am reluctant to do so, even if it looks straightforward like any other device with upgradeable firmware.

So was wondering if there were a reason for marantz pulling the 7704 fw specifically?
Unknown as to why it was pulled from the USA site; however, as I indicated, as you have a European model, you would not want to load the USA update anyway. ;)

Not sure what your dealer has to do with the warranty, unless of course the way it works there is you turn in your AVP to the dealer for warranty repair; however, there should be no issue installing an earlier version of firmware.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Unknown as to why it was pulled from the USA site; however, as I indicated, as you have a European model, you would not want to load the USA update anyway. ;)

Not sure what your dealer has to do with the warranty, unless of course the way it works there is you turn in your AVP to the dealer for warranty repair; however, there should be no issue installing an earlier version of firmware.
Hehe,im aware of not using the NA firmware,i was just checking to see if it was still possible for NA owners to manually update,as i have a discussion with my dealer about it and why EU users arent allowed to do manually update/downgrade,as it has been quite a journey to secure the firmware and the how-to update/downgrade.. And here, it is indeed the dealers that has the warranty.

That said, i would think the units are the same all over the world engineering wise,so the firmware would also be the same save the country specifics like licenses/operating frequencies and so on, and therefore it would make sense if a hardware error in the firmware presented itself in an EU model, it would also translate to the US models.. I would think it would be too expensive for sound united to make units electronically different from region to region, hence why i checked to see if the 7704 fw was still available to NA users,and since it is not,it might indicate that there is a problem with it,at least that is my take on it.

However, my dealer says i am the only one they have heard of, having this particular problem,and they think it is down to my unit somehow downloading the wrong firmware,but since i havent sent it in for repair,they cant know for sure.

Anyways,just checking if you knew why it was pulled..

·
Registered
790 Posts
My AV7704 updated today to firmware:

Version 5461-1360-9342-4145
-DTS Version 3.90.50.51

1061 - 1080 of 1114 Posts