AVS Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi, two questions:

- I couldn't find a definite answer (here it was discussed 3 years ago, but it was not clear), is it established which AKM DAC is used in the SR8012 (the AKM 4458 or 4490)? Is there a noticeable difference and are the one we have really good still today?

- Does anybody know if it is possible to remove the front door (I marked in the picture)? If yes, how so? I need to have a USB plugged in and my cabinet is too tight to leave the door/panel opened.

As always, appreciate any help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,002
Hi, two questions:

- I couldn't find a definite answer (here it was discussed 3 years ago, but it was not clear), is it established which AKM DAC is used in the SR8012 (the AKM 4458 or 4490)? Is there a noticeable difference and are the one we have really good still today?

- Does anybody know if it is possible to remove the front door (I marked in the picture)? If yes, how so? I need to have a USB plugged in and my cabinet is too tight to leave the door/panel opened.

As noted in post 2 of this thread, the SR8012 uses the AKM 4458.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks!

Sorry, I missed that. The search led me to the discussion on Page 9... The AKM 4458 is good, but not top DAC, right? Any real life difference you can that justifies using an external DAC?

So the front door I assume the answer is no, right?

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,004
Thanks!

Sorry, I missed that. The search led me to the discussion on Page 9... The AKM 4458 is good, but not top DAC, right? Any real life difference you can that justifies using an external DAC?

So the front door I assume the answer is no, right?
Can't say whether you would notice any difference with an external DAC and no information available on removing the front panel door. Check with Marantz.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Intermittent and random electronic issues are notorious for not finding an answer. I bought a Marantz SR8012 receiver when it first came out. In the last year about every 3-4 weeks when watching Netflix or even a rented movie, the audio will suddenly go out. I hear a "click" then no audio. At times the Audyssey setup window will pop up. This is very unpredictable. I have been able to reset by restarting all components of my system. What I am finding weird, is the "click" is the same sound when I put in a headphone jack. The last few times when this happened the front panel showed the SR8012 in headphone mode without a headphone jack inserted. Instead of restarting the system, I've been able to reset audio by just putting the headphone jack in then out and all is good. I do use the headphone a lot at night while the family is sleeping. Is this a wear n' tear issue? a software or hardware issue? It is just very annoying while watching a movie or TV show. Marantz official support said to send the unit in, but I'm trying to avoid the dismantling of my Home Entertainment system and the low confidence they will find a solution for an intermittent and random issue. Anyone else heard of this? Any solution?

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,006
Intermittent and random electronic issues are notorious for not finding an answer. I bought a Marantz SR8012 receiver when it first came out. In the last year about every 3-4 weeks when watching Netflix or even a rented movie, the audio will suddenly go out. I hear a "click" then no audio. At times the Audyssey setup window will pop up. This is very unpredictable. I have been able to reset by restarting all components of my system. What I am finding weird, is the "click" is the same sound when I put in a headphone jack. The last few times when this happened the front panel showed the SR8012 in headphone mode without a headphone jack inserted. Instead of restarting the system, I've been able to reset audio by just putting the headphone jack in then out and all is good. I do use the headphone a lot at night while the family is sleeping. Is this a wear n' tear issue? a software or hardware issue? It is just very annoying while watching a movie or TV show. Marantz official support said to send the unit in, but I'm trying to avoid the dismantling of my Home Entertainment system and the low confidence they will find a solution for an intermittent and random issue. Anyone else heard of this? Any solution?
Although not a common issue, it would seem you have an easy fix so no reason to send in for warranty repair if not desirable.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

No solutions...

A little information. The headphone socket appears to have a normally closed contact for a headphone detect circuit that opens when the headphone jack is inserted. The detect circuit connects to an IC that preforms many control functions.

There is a relay that you likely hear, that when energized, connects the L and R headphone output to the headphone socket.

The headphone output goes through the L/R HDAM circuits (2 x HDAM and a voltage gain stage) in the AV8012, then through dedicated IC opamps, then the relay noted above. The output impedance of the headphone circuit is likely about 33 ohms.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if it’s been address yes on here but can anyone comment about how streaming music on here via say like Tidal compared to a separate streamer DAC like a BS Node 2?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi, two questions:

I want to remove the front door as well. and put a transparent black plexiglass instead.. I like seeing the atmos/dts-x info..

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Not sure if it’s been address yes on here but can anyone comment about how streaming music on here via say like Tidal compared to a separate streamer DAC like a BS Node 2?
The 8012 won’t do all the unfolds for MQA, the Node 2 will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ugh, I've been looking at a 4K TV and am just realizing my SR8012 won't support 120HZ, VRR, etc.

Can I drive the picture and HDMI 2.1 through the TV directly and somehow get just sound to my speakers from the SR8012? Or am I screwed?

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,012
Ugh, I've been looking at a 4K TV and am just realizing my SR8012 won't support 120HZ, VRR, etc.

Can I drive the picture and HDMI 2.1 through the TV directly and somehow get just sound to my speakers from the SR8012? Or am I screwed?
The SR8012 is a 2017 model. The recently released 2020 models (eg. SR8015) are the first to support 4k/120Hz, VRR, etc.

You can; however, connect the source to the TV directly and use ARC/eARC to pass the source audio from the TV back to the SR8012.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm trying to run a couple wireless surrounds using the pre outs on the 8012. I'm going from the surround pre outs on the 8012 through a pair of SVS Soundpath wireless transmitters/receivers to 2 Klipsch R-51PM powered speakers. My problem is that the I only get very low volume through the speakers. I have to turn the speakers' amps to max volume to get any sound, such that if I run Audussey, it sets the surround trim to +12dbs, which I believe is the max, and the sound is still weak.

If I hook my phone to a mini-jack and use the same input on the powered speaker, the volume is fine, same with a bluetooth connection.

Seems like I'm just missing a setting somewhere but I'm at a loss.

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,015
Thanks, appreciate it. What do I lose by doing that? Getting up from the couch? : )
The AVR would not be able to display GUI/OSD screens for that particular source as in order to do so the source video must pass through the AVR.

Also, if the TV is unable to accept HD audio (ie. Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA), then only standard DD/DTS would pass back to the AVR.

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,016
I'm trying to run a couple wireless surrounds using the pre outs on the 8012. I'm going from the surround pre outs on the 8012 through a pair of SVS Soundpath wireless transmitters/receivers to 2 Klipsch R-51PM powered speakers. My problem is that the I only get very low volume through the speakers. I have to turn the speakers' amps to max volume to get any sound, such that if I run Audussey, it sets the surround trim to +12dbs, which I believe is the max, and the sound is still weak.

If I hook my phone to a mini-jack and use the same input on the powered speaker, the volume is fine, same with a bluetooth connection.

Seems like I'm just missing a setting somewhere but I'm at a loss.
Not unusual to have to set the powered speaker volume to a high level; however, if the volume is still weak then try disconnecting and reconnecting all cable connections and if still no improvement, then you'll need to try a different brand of wireless transmitter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The AVR would not be able to display GUI/OSD screens for that particular source as in order to do so the source video must pass through the AVR.
So if I hook a PS4 up to the TV and pass the sound using ARC to the receiver, the game would still function as normal?

And would a TIVO still work in that same situation?

Getting nervous and wondering if I should upgrade. I'm fine with hooking things up differently but don't want to lose video quality or functionality.

If the receiver is just doing volume and I can can get all the GUI/OSD screens from the television, that would be fine.

I'm new to these details, please bear with me and thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,018
So if I hook a PS4 up to the TV and pass the sound using ARC to the receiver, the game would still function as normal?

And would a TIVO still work in that same situation?

Getting nervous and wondering if I should upgrade. I'm fine with hooking things up differently but don't want to lose video quality or functionality.

If the receiver is just doing volume and I can can get all the GUI/OSD screens from the television, that would be fine.

I'm new to these details, please bear with me and thanks for your response.
Yes, with the understanding that ARC can only pass non-HD audio (ie. PCM 2.0/DD/DTS/DD+).

2001 - 2020 of 2022 Posts