AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
...But I believe I might have reached my "ears limit" with this AVR and my B&W 705 S2 that I bought recently... Hopefully... :)
lol - I hear that.

Only reason I left the Denon 5700 for the 3808 was "gotta have HDMI".

The move to the 3300 was driven by "gotta have 4k".

This move to the SR8012 was for "gotta spend a weekend on a ladder screwing speakers to the ceiling and running/hiding wires" (Atmos / DTS:X).

And the decision to 'while I'm at it' get back to a "no compromise" (within my means) level of quality.

Luckily, I can (I am convinced I can) hear the sonic superiority of the Marantz SR8012 over the Denon X3300W.

But, nope, will never again need a better unit. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
lol - I hear that.

Only reason I left the Denon 5700 for the 3808 was "gotta have HDMI".

The move to the 3300 was driven by "gotta have 4k".

This move to the SR8012 was for "gotta spend a weekend on a ladder screwing speakers to the ceiling and running/hiding wires" (Atmos / DTS:X).

And the decision to 'while I'm at it' get back to a "no compromise" (within my means) level of quality.

Luckily, I can (I am convinced I can) hear the sonic superiority of the Marantz SR8012 over the Denon X3300W.

But, nope, will never again need a better unit. :)

Last sentence is very ambitious, "never"... :)

I'm assuming, if it does not break, only when 8K is fully implemented, and even then only if I need to plug more sources than the available inputs in a future 8K TV. Although it seems there will be less and less non-streaming sources in the future... But this might just be wishful thinking and they will probably create some "unavoidable" feature to have in a newer model. Let's see and enjoy this one for a few years.

Reactions: bluemoon737

·
Registered
421 Posts
But I believe I might have reached my "ears limit" with this AVR and my B&W 705 S2 that I bought recently... Hopefully... :)
IMO you might very well have reached that happy point. :)

Near 20 years ago when I purchased the Denon AVR-5700, a pair of B&W 805 + matching center channel was part of that year's upgrade.

About 10 years ago, around the time of the Denon 3808ci and shifting from a rear to a front projector for the video, found a pair of 805s on sale and moved the original design 805 pair to be the side surround speakers. The current 805d line has increased in cost past my point of diminishing returns to consider upgrading to those.

Bottom line, for two decades now I've never been less than fully satisfied with that B&W model line and I fully expect your 705s can do a good job, good enough to hear the difference, due to the Marantz HDAM approach. (With appropriate subwoofers added to help with heavy lifting. For me, initially a Velodyne back in the previous millennium and now a pair of SVS PC12plus wooly barrels.)

Of course, this is where I've put my money so it's gotta be good. :)
(perception bias must always be considered as a possibility.)

But, to get back to the thread topic, for anyone considering plonking down the cost of an SR8012, be sure that your speakers are already at that quality level. Don't forget to spend more on your set of speakers than on your AVR as a rule of thumb.

== edit
Trivial edit to be clear that I'm referencing three generations of B&W speakers in the text above. "805", "805s" and "805d".

·
Registered
215 Posts
IMO you might very well have reached that happy point. :)

Near 20 years ago when I purchased the Denon AVR-5700, a pair of B&W 805 + matching center channel was part of that year's upgrade.

About 10 years ago, around the time of the Denon 3808ci and shifting from a rear to a front projector for the video, found a pair of 805s on sale and moved the original design 805 pair to be the side surround speakers. The current 805d line has increased in cost past my point of diminishing returns to consider upgrading to those.

Bottom line, for two decades now I've never been less than fully satisfied with that B&W model line and I fully expect your 705s can do a good job, good enough to hear the difference, due to the Marantz HDAM approach. (With appropriate subwoofers added to help with heavy lifting. For me, initially a Velodyne back in the previous millennium and now a pair of SVS PC12plus wooly barrels.)

Of course, this is where I've put my money so it's gotta be good. :)
(perception bias must always be considered as a possibility.)

But, to get back to the thread topic, for anyone considering plonking down the cost of an SR8012, be sure that your speakers are already at that quality level. Don't forget to spend more on your set of speakers than on your AVR as a rule of thumb.

== edit
Trivial edit to be clear that I'm referencing three generations of B&W speakers in the text above. "805", "805s" and "805d".
You are right about everything. I was tempted to do the AVR upgrade because I upgraded to the B&W 705 S2 from the CM1. When I plugged the 705 to my older Denon 4200, the difference was already very clear on the B&Ws with the 705 being now closer to the 8 series. Thus I wanted t get the best of my speakers. I love the B&Ws and am enjoying very much my SR8012. Hopefully I am at the happy point you alluded to and will keep my gear as long as you did! I really hope! :)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Last sentence is very ambitious, "never"... :)

I'm assuming, if it does not break, only when 8K is fully implemented, and even then only if I need to plug more sources than the available inputs in a future 8K TV. Although it seems there will be less and less non-streaming sources in the future... But this might just be wishful thinking and they will probably create some "unavoidable" feature to have in a newer model. Let's see and enjoy this one for a few years.
8K already on the horizon, but I’m sure it’s still quite a ways away from friendly pricing and full implementation.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/samsung-will-deliver-first-8k-tv-october
Damn this hobby. I just got my 4K tv and have yet to purchase a 8012.🙄

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
8K already on the horizon, but I’m sure it’s still quite a ways away from friendly pricing and full implementation.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/samsung-will-deliver-first-8k-tv-october
Damn this hobby. I just got my 4K tv and have yet to purchase a 8012.🙄
But, the 8012 will have eARC which is the great savior in AVR longevity...once source and display devices require 2.1 just use the display as your switching device and still keep all the full lossless audio via eARC. ;)

Reactions: pappaduke

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I don't care about 8k. Not even one little bit.

Do the math. How close do you have to sit to how big of a screen before the human eye can resolve that?
Just pointing out it’s (8K) coming. I won’t care until the prices drop, content is available and I’ve gotten good use out of the set I just purchased a few months ago. Besides, I’m still several months from purchasing an 8012.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I did it the other way round, I first changed my avr to a 8012 that I can fully enjoy now, and will change my PJ later when all the conditions are met ( technology AND money ).

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My original plan was 8012, Atmos speakers, 4K TV and then an Oppo 203. Oppo killed my plan with there shutdown of making players. So I purchased a 203, then my dealer gave me a great deal on a Sony 940E 4K.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
New firmware offered today. Any information about it yet?
They probably just fixed the reset issue with the previous release that was halted and they resumed sending it out again.

·
Registered
532 Posts
this new firmware is IMAX ENHANCED.

·
Registered
532 Posts
check in web to marantz usa.

other model ;8805-8500 etc.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
check in web to marantz usa.

other model ;8805-8500 etc.
Ahhh...the worst, most consumer unfriendly website I have ever encountered? I have to enter a model number AND SERIAL NUMBER to find out if there is new firmware. I have an owner's account there that has my 8012 registered...and I still can't go from that page to directly find out about upgrades/updates...I have to remember my serial number! That website is the absolute worst! Okay, off my soap box. :rolleyes:

Love my 8012...HATE the Marantz website...just to be clear. ;)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
this new firmware is IMAX ENHANCED.
Based upon a recent post from @batpig on the X8500 thread, I would say there is just about a zero chance this firmware includes the IMAX ENHANCED feature set.

941 - 960 of 2022 Posts