AVS Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 2007 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
When I use AirPlay the volume is about 10 dB louder than or the input method, does anyone experience the same and know why?
Just the nature of the beast! Apple marches to its own drummer...that’s Steve Jobs legacy! LOL!

·
Registered
5 Posts
TROUBLE WITH MARANTZ

I hook up the Amazon Fire Stick 4K UHD to play 4K video and the Marantz says.

"This content can not be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2."

But I own a 4K TV.
Furthermore, when I bypass the marantz and plug the fire stick directly into the same cable going to the TV, it displays perfectly fine.

The problem is with the Marantz.

So I went to the Marantz website for help and they say "Plug in the Cable/Satellite box to a HDMI input connector closer to the HDMI output connector of the AVR. (i.e. Media Player, Aux 2 instead of CBL/SAT)."

After plugging in to the CD port there is still no signal.
After plugging in to the Media Player port input there is still no signal.

No matter what I do, it wont play 4K. The 8012 blames the TV for not supporting the signal but when the Marantz is taken out of the signal path, it works just fine.
Conversely, the only way to make the 8012 work with the fire stick is if I set the fire display settings down to 1080....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tony
You don't mind if I ask the make and model of your TV? It could be that your TV is not HDCP 2.2 compliant. Perhaps when you plug your FireTV 4K straight to the TV it plays because the fire stick supports multiple DRM formats.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Samsung HU 9000 78" TV.

The HU 9000 user manual says: HDCP 2.2 is supported only by the TV's HDMI (MHL) port. HDCP is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for video copyright protection.

I went back to Magnolia at Best Buy after testing the new HDMI cable. They exchanged the receiver no questions asked. (They were really cool about it and wanted to help) The new 8012 unit has the exact same issue. So its not broken or defective. It seems to be a 4K communication/incompatibility issue between the TV and receiver.

The following day I contacted Marantz via their website and asked if they could make a firmware update to make the two compatible with each other. Who knows if/when this could happen. At this point I dont want to return the Marantz, however it would be great if they can make a firmware update to make the two compatible.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
224 Posts
The CEC function is also unchanged with the new unit. So it is what it is.

BTW when setting up the 8012 with all its different sources and inputs, one of the inputs was the internet radio tune in test feature.
The setup phase would ask if audio could be heard or if images could be seen on the screen when connecting to various different sources.
We all go through this for the first time setup.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Samsung HU 9000 78" TV.

The HU 9000 user manual says: HDCP 2.2 is supported only by the TV's HDMI (MHL) port. HDCP is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for video copyright protection.

I went back to Magnolia at Best Buy after testing the new HDMI cable. They exchanged the receiver no questions asked. (They were really cool about it and wanted to help) The new 8012 unit has the exact same issue. So its not broken or defective. It seems to be a 4K communication/incompatibility issue between the TV and receiver.

The following day I contacted Marantz via their website and asked if they could make a firmware update to make the two compatible with each other. Who knows if/when this could happen. At this point I dont want to return the Marantz, however it would be great if they can make a firmware update to make the two compatible.

Thanks,
Tony
Do you have an SEK-3500 on that HU9000? If not I HIGHLY recommend you get one to give you 4 HDCP 2.2 ports and limited HDR capability (based upon the limited nits of that display) with HDMI 2.0b on all of it's ports. Get the SEK-3500 NOT the SEK-4500 and you will have access to HDR10 at least.

Reactions: Hydrazine

·
Banned
86 Posts
Marantz Apple APP Bugs

Am finding this app is LOADED with bugs. On an Ipad, attempting to set sound mode to STEREO for HEOS music doesn't work. The 8012 insists on staying in MOVIE mode (in the app) even though Stereo is selected in the app. Subwoofer settings are not holding after set in the app. Hoping for an update to this app SOON, but, am not sure one will be forthcoming from Marantz.
:eek::confused::frown::mad:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Am finding this app is LOADED with bugs. On an Ipad, attempting to set sound mode to STEREO for HEOS music doesn't work. The 8012 insists on staying in MOVIE mode (in the app) even though Stereo is selected in the app. Subwoofer settings are not holding after set in the app. Hoping for an update to this app SOON, but, am not sure one will be forthcoming from Marantz.
:eek::confused::frown::mad:
Mine seems to be working all right, although sometimes it shows in the app (where you have the "Modes") something other than Stereo. But then I go check "More">"AVR Info" and I can see that the Stereo Mode is working indeed.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Mine seems to be working all right, although sometimes it shows in the app (where you have the "Modes") something other than Stereo. But then I go check "More">"AVR Info" and I can see that the Stereo Mode is working indeed.
While I do like the app, it is a little clunky or confusing at times. My Yamaha app was somewhat better, but doesn’t give near as much information as the Marantz app.

·
Registered
214 Posts
While I do like the app, it is a little clunky or confusing at times. My Yamaha app was somewhat better, but doesn’t give near as much information as the Marantz app.
Agree. For sure it is far from being an intuitive and smart app. For instance, I needed help to find AVR Info, which should be upfront. I have an Yamaha bar, but never use the app, only the universal remote, so I can't judge.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Agree. For sure it is far from being an intuitive and smart app. For instance, I needed help to find AVR Info, which should be upfront. I have an Yamaha bar, but never use the app, only the universal remote, so I can't judge.
I’ve been using the Yamaha app for quite a while and it’s pretty easy to use as compared to the Marantz. Just not as much information available. I’m getting used to the Marantz app, but I could use some instructions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
How to use pass through on monitor 2 on Marantz sr8012?

I could not get any signal out of monitor 2 from Marantz sr8012 AVR. How do I use this feature? At this point, not only is there is no signal out of monitor 2, it also disrupts signal on monitor 1. Every so often the screen would go blank from monitor 1.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Okay, I got the video signal to show up on my TV but there is no audio. If I turned up the volume on the AVR then the audio came out to my theater speakers and not my TV. Any suggestion?

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,254
I could not get any signal out of monitor 2 from Marantz sr8012 AVR. How do I use this feature? At this point, not only is there is no signal out of monitor 2, it also disrupts signal on monitor 1. Every so often the screen would go blank from monitor 1.
Okay, I got the video signal to show up on my TV but there is no audio. If I turned up the volume on the AVR then the audio came out to my theater speakers and not my TV. Any suggestion?
The Monitor 2 HDMI output simply mirrors the same source being passed to the Monitor 1 HDMI output. You indicate which you want to use by setting the setting (p. 198 Owner's manual) to either AUTO(Dual)/Monitor 1/Monitor 2. In order to pass audio to the TV, you change the setting (p. 193 Owner's manual) from "AVR" to "TV" (thus disabling the surround speakers).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Samsung HU 9000 78" TV.

Thanks,
Tony
Marantz replied as follows:

"Your issues are known but they are not caused by the 8012.

The first issue is caused by the Samsung's EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) not negotiating well with the source (Fire Stick) when going through an HDMI repeating device. (Any AVR that processes HDMI) This is a common issue with HDMI communication and can be fixed with either an update to the TV (To adjust the EDID string) or an EDID management device like an Atlona ETU Sync or Key Digital HDFIX22. These devices connect via HDMI between the TV and AVR and their primary function is to capture the TV's EDID to use the same data every time (every 3 seconds) for negotiation consistency. You can also try contacting Samsung to see if they can send you a new One Connect box if your TV model supports One Connect. These boxes can also cause EDID negotiation issues with a receiver in the mix.

An alternative solution would be to connect the Fire Stick to the Samsung directly and then use ARC (Audio Return Channel) back to the 8012 for the audio processing.

The second issue is caused by the Samsung's CEC (AnyNet) automatically sending commands to the receiver. The 8012 is a CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) response device and doesn't have the ability to send its own CEC commands. When the Samsung is powered on, it relays CEC commands to any other device equipped with CEC and waits for a response. The 8012's response is to flip to the TV Audio source in the event ARC is being used. The TV Audio source is the primary internal source used for ARC transmission.

There is a menu option within the 8012 to disable this automatic response. If you access the GUI, select Video - HDMI Setup - TV Audio Switching - Off. This disables the automatic response to the TV's CEC command. This also means you have to switch the 8012 to TV Audio source manually when you want to utilize the ARC feature. Once the TV Audio Switching option is set to Off, the 8012 should no longer switch to the TV Audio source automatically and should remain on CBL/SAT upon powering up.

Thanks,
Marantz NA
"

Somehow seems a stretch to blame a TV for not negotiating well if the problem only exists when going through the Marantz.

Oh well...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, anybody knows the difference between “cinema EQ” in “surround parameter” and “multiEQ reference”? They both makes the high roll off a little to make the treble sound smoother, very confusing. why not just combine these two adjustments into one?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

The first issue is caused by the Samsung's EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) not negotiating well with the source (Fire Stick) when going through an HDMI repeating device. (Any AVR that processes HDMI) This is a common issue with HDMI communication and can be fixed with either an update to the TV (To adjust the EDID string) or an EDID management device like an Atlona ETU Sync or Key Digital HDFIX22. These devices connect via HDMI between the TV and AVR and their primary function is to capture the TV's EDID to use the same data every time (every 3 seconds) for negotiation consistency. You can also try contacting Samsung to see if they can send you a new One Connect box if your TV model supports One Connect. These boxes can also cause EDID negotiation issues with a receiver in the mix.

An alternative solution would be to connect the Fire Stick to the Samsung directly and then use ARC (Audio Return Channel) back to the 8012 for the audio processing.

The second issue is caused by the Samsung's CEC (AnyNet) automatically sending commands to the receiver. The 8012 is a CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) response device and doesn't have the ability to send its own CEC commands. When the Samsung is powered on, it relays CEC commands to any other device equipped with CEC and waits for a response. The 8012's response is to flip to the TV Audio source in the event ARC is being used. The TV Audio source is the primary internal source used for ARC transmission.

There is a menu option within the 8012 to disable this automatic response. If you access the GUI, select Video - HDMI Setup - TV Audio Switching - Off. This disables the automatic response to the TV's CEC command. This also means you have to switch the 8012 to TV Audio source manually when you want to utilize the ARC feature. Once the TV Audio Switching option is set to Off, the 8012 should no longer switch to the TV Audio source automatically and should remain on CBL/SAT upon powering up.

Thanks,
Marantz NA
"

Somehow seems a stretch to blame a TV for not negotiating well if the problem only exists when going through the Marantz.

Oh well...
Yes, it's the TV. As I mentioned a while ago, if you don't want to upgrade your TV (nice TV but just barely HDR capable) then at least get an SEK-3500 and it will solve your problem. The issue is that the 3500 is hard to come by now-a-days (and don't bother with the 4500...it doesn't do the same thing).

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks,
Marantz NA
"

Oh well...
My best suggestion is testing by elimination, go to BestBuy or someone's home who has a QLED, OLED TV or any model with HDR10/or Dolby Vision capabilities, take your FireTV along with your SR8012 and test. If the problem continues then next is the FireTV. In my opinion the issue is your TV, either buy the box that @bluemoon737 is suggesting or get a new TV if you want to use full potential of your SR8012. To save you some money return that HDMI 4K expensive cable that BestBuy told you to buy....smh. As long as the HDMI cable is high speed and goes up to 18Gbps of bandwidth it will work or it won't, there is no middle ground for HDMI. You can get the Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cable for a better value and it will do the same job.

1241 - 1260 of 2007 Posts