AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just bought the Aircom T10. Is there a consensus on what is the ideal temperature for our SR8012 so as to trigger Aircom? As there is no remote control (neither can use Harmony), should I leave it always on?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
88,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,423
I just bought the Aircom T10. Is there a consensus on what is the ideal temperature for our SR8012 so as to trigger Aircom? As there is no remote control (neither can use Harmony), should I leave it always on?

Thanks!
Most likely set the thermostat to about 90F or so.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks both.

I expressed myself wrongly. When I said always on it was meaning that it is never completely turned off. Now I understood it is either on or on standby awaiting the trigger temperature (or OFF but with lights etc. a type of standby, I assume). Anyway, answers were helpful. I set it to auto to trigger at 90F with medium fan speed. It seems the AVR will operate a little above 90F when without Air Conditioning in the room (I'm at really hot Rio de Janeiro), but that seems to be a good compromise between temperature and noise, but still preserving the AVR. I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
New review up
;https://hometheaterreview.com/marantz-sr8012-112-channel-av-surround-receiver-reviewed/

The reviewer seems concerned about the heat the 8012 emits. Does not mention the internal fan?
The way I read it, he seemed to think it did a good job of dissapating the heat that it produced as long as it has room to ventilate. Strange he didn't mention the fans. Mine has yet to run as hot as I hear others talk about. I'm running all 11 channels with Atmos and I do listen to it rather loud but probably not at reference levels.

·
Premium Member
88,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,427
The way I read it, he seemed to think it did a good job of dissapating the heat that it produced as long as it has room to ventilate. Strange he didn't mention the fans. Mine has yet to run as hot as I hear others talk about. I'm running all 11 channels with Atmos and I do listen to it rather loud but probably not at reference levels.
Many would consider 130F-140F as hot to the touch while the internal fans don't power on until 158F and therefore would not likely have powered on.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Many would consider 130F-140F as hot to the touch while the internal fans don't power on until 158F and therefore would not likely have powered on.
The Aircom series of external fans will solve any worry about heading issues. I have the T9 and the 8012 is cool to the touch even after hours of use. The small cost addition seems really worth it for a top of the line receiver and will probably add years of life to the receiver.

·
Premium Member
7,173 Posts
How is AirPlay 2 selected as a source...specifically, to send it to Zone 2 but not the primary zone?

I ask because I currently use an old AirPort Express, connected via RCA cables to my receiver, to stream tunes around the house. I (permanently) set Zone 2 on my receiver to the AirPort Express' physical input. This way I can stream music around the house by selecting the Airport Express as a destination in AirPlay and not disturb anyone watching on the home theater's Zone 1. How would it work with an AirPlay 2 equipped received like this? Ideally I could remove the Airport Express from the system entirely, and just select the receiver as an AirPlay destination for Zone 2 but not the main zone. Is that possible?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
The Aircom series of external fans will solve any worry about heading issues. I have the T9 and the 8012 is cool to the touch even after hours of use. The small cost addition seems really worth it for a top of the line receiver and will probably add years of life to the receiver.
I'm in agreement....heat over time is the enemy of electronics...period! It would be interesting to see studies/data on the effect of various temperatures over time on solid state componentry (IC's), resistors, capacitors, etc. Perhaps in the world of electronics, less than 100 degrees is downright cold, 120-140 is normal and >150 degrees requires cooling intervention. In the comment cited/posted by jdsmoothie, it would be interesting to know how 158 degrees was determined by D&M to be the trip point.

Reactions: rwestley

·
Premium Member
88,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,431
How is AirPlay 2 selected as a source...specifically, to send it to Zone 2 but not the primary zone?

I ask because I currently use an old AirPort Express, connected via RCA cables to my receiver, to stream tunes around the house. I (permanently) set Zone 2 on my receiver to the AirPort Express' physical input. This way I can stream music around the house by selecting the Airport Express as a destination in AirPlay and not disturb anyone watching on the home theater's Zone 1. How would it work with an AirPlay 2 equipped received like this? Ideally I could remove the Airport Express from the system entirely, and just select the receiver as an AirPlay destination for Zone 2 but not the main zone. Is that possible?
You'll need to continue using the Airport Express for your use case as Airplay will hijack the main zone first and then can be selected to Zone 2 before reselecting the original source playing in the main zone.

·
Premium Member
88,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,432
Indeed, which is why I have been recommending them for over 3 years now. :)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Indeed, which is why I have been recommending them for over 3 years now. :)
Hey jd, just noticed the red update to post #1 . Does this mean the 8012 finally gets to be called a flagship since it has at least a 3 year run? :D

Reactions: gene4ht

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Hey jd, just noticed the red update to post #1 . Does this mean the 8012 finally gets to be called a flagship since it has at least a 3 year run? :D
Marketing...semantics....whatever....it's the right call...the 8012 is top of the line AVR , therefore flagship....the 8801/8802 are AVP's.:)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Marketing...semantics....whatever....it's the right call...the 8012 is top of the line AVR , therefore flagship....the 8801/8802 are AVP's.:)
I think they see no reason to make changes until the new HDMI chips and specifications become widely available. Sound United is busy buying Onkyo and Pioneer and probably had other things to consider at this time. I expect that there will be all new models by the end of 2020 if the deal goes through. The nice thing is that the 8012 is not subject to the new tariffs.

Does anyone know what changes were made in the latest firmware update and what is the number?

·
Registered
532 Posts
the 8012 is the best receiver now ,not have compétition whit this receiver 11 chanels.

SAME THING FOR SOUND UNITED MARANTZ AND DENON BUY NOW ONKYO AND PIONEER ,NOW FINISH WHIT COMPÉTITION .

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is Audyssey Dynamic Volume engaged?
No, I haven't gone though Audyssey setup yet, so DV isn't engaged (good thought). When I went to look last night, Audyssey was grayed out on my setup menu because I had performed manual speaker level setup.

When I watch a show on cable (Spectrum) and the show goes to a commercial break the volume remains the same, but when the channel returns to main programming, the volume level is often crushed down to barely audible - even though the value is say 50. If I turn up the volume from there, it does increase a little. The signal is Dolby Digital.

If I simply change the channel, the signal I guess re-sync's and the volume level is restored. if I then go back to my original channel, sound is also fine/loud as expected.

I've looked all over to try to find a screen in the menus where I could troubleshoot. Is there a diagnostic mode? Any other troubleshooting to try?

·
Premium Member
7,173 Posts
You'll need to continue using the Airport Express for your use case as Airplay will hijack the main zone first and then can be selected to Zone 2 before reselecting the original source playing in the main zone.
Ugh. Bummer.

Question though, how does one select AirPlay as the source if there's no "input" button assigned to it or whatever?

1421 - 1440 of 2022 Posts