AVS Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 2022 Posts

·
Premium Member
88,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,441
No, I haven't gone though Audyssey setup yet, so DV isn't engaged (good thought). When I went to look last night, Audyssey was grayed out on my setup menu because I had performed manual speaker level setup.

When I watch a show on cable (Spectrum) and the show goes to a commercial break the volume remains the same, but when the channel returns to main programming, the volume level is often crushed down to barely audible - even though the value is say 50. If I turn up the volume from there, it does increase a little. The signal is Dolby Digital.

If I simply change the channel, the signal I guess re-sync's and the volume level is restored. if I then go back to my original channel, sound is also fine/loud as expected.

I've looked all over to try to find a screen in the menus where I could troubleshoot. Is there a diagnostic mode? Any other troubleshooting to try?
If the issue presents from only one channel, the issue is the channel broadcast.

If the issue presents with multiple channels, try connecting the HDMI cable to other HDMI inputs.

If still no joy, refer to post 4 and do the various resets.

·
Premium Member
7,173 Posts
Select "HEOS Music".
OH! That's interesting. Hmm. Still wish there were a way to hit the receiver with AirPlay streaming *without* it taking over Zone 1 so I could lose the Airport Express. You'd think they'd at least make that selectable in the receiver menu. I mean, one can 'play' a CD and have the signal coming to the receiver without it automatically switching to that input.

Oh well. Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

·
Vendor
27,513 Posts
The Aircom series of external fans will solve any worry about heading issues. I have the T9 and the 8012 is cool to the touch even after hours of use. The small cost addition seems really worth it for a top of the line receiver and will probably add years of life to the receiver.
Would be nice if it was built into the unit;) I would like to think, like a car motor, the temperature is mandated by the engineers on what Temp the unit should run at ideally. Denon and Maratz must like them to run hot for a reason otherwise they would run cooler......

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Would be nice if it was built into the unit;) I would like to think, like a car motor, the temperature is mandated by the engineers on what Temp the unit should run at ideally. Denon and Maratz must like them to run hot for a reason otherwise they would run cooler......
There are fans built into the unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Yes, but they seem to start a bit late.

Also isn't it a bit of a waste to have to buy an additional multi fan unit when there are already four nice fans buit in just sitting there !
Not really. The fans on the Aircom units really cool off the components much better than the small built in ones. I have the T9 and it really makes a big difference.
This is especially true if you have the 8012 in any kind of cabinet.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
The Aircom series of external fans will solve any worry about heading issues. I have the T9 and the 8012 is cool to the touch even after hours of use. The small cost addition seems really worth it for a top of the line receiver and will probably add years of life to the receiver.
There are fans built into the unit.
Yes, but they seem to start a bit late.

Also isn't it a bit of a waste to have to buy an additional multi fan unit when there are already four nice fans buit in just sitting there !
Not really. The fans on the Aircom units really cool off the components much better than the small built in ones. I have the T9 and it really makes a big difference.
In human terms, the 8012 gets “hot to the touch.” But these components aren’t human and therefore not really subject to human sensitivities. I refer back to my earlier posting....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...tz-sr8012-owner-s-thread-48.html#post58047946

It would be interesting to understand how D+M and/or the industry determines/establishes what is potentially harmful to current electronics in order to set the trip point for engaging internal cooling fans. I’m in agreement with @rwestley that the addition of external fans will result in improved longevity overall. However, it seems that manufacturers have designed and included the necessary cooling fans/systems for this purpose. What’s missing here are plausible/scientific explanations for when and what temperature electronics are “actually” hot to the point of causing premature component degradation and/or failure. @jdsmoothie...is this something you could pursue with your technical resources?

·
Registered
554 Posts
What about having a choice of internal fans tripping point, like : free air placement, in cabinet placement, altitude (thin air), other ... ?

Like the projectors having the choice according to altitude.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
I'm in agreement....heat over time is the enemy of electronics...period! It would be interesting to see studies/data on the effect of various temperatures over time on solid state componentry (IC's), resistors, capacitors, etc. Perhaps in the world of electronics, less than 100 degrees is downright cold, 120-140 is normal and >150 degrees requires cooling intervention. In the comment cited/posted by jdsmoothie, it would be interesting to know how 158 degrees was determined by D&M to be the trip point.
I think it would be difficult to find out why they choose 158 degrees as the trip point. I do think that if you are using the 8012 in a rack with good air flow there would probably be no need for an aircom unit. If you have yours in a cabinet I think that the right Aircom fans would bring peace of mind.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I think it would be difficult to find out why they choose 158 degrees as the trip point. I do think that if you are using the 8012 in a rack with good air flow there would probably be no need for an aircom unit. If you have yours in a cabinet I think that the right Aircom fans would bring peace of mind.
You’re likely right...this type of information probably resides with the design or engineering team(s). On the other hand, this data may already be available/established in electronic manufacturer’s reference resources. In any case, it would be interesting to know...more curiosity on my part. Also, @jdsmoothie has lots of time on his hands.:D

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Fans

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever had there 8012’s fans actually come on? Mine never have to the best of my knowledge. Three and a half inches of clearance above, open on front and both sides. Only partially blocked in the rear, but there’s about three inches of clearance in the rear. It gets warm occasionally but never hot to the touch even with all channels driven.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Plus the Aircoms looks nice atop the 8012 inside a cabinet... :cool:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just out of curiosity has anyone ever had there 8012’s fans actually come on? Mine never have to the best of my knowledge. Three and a half inches of clearance above, open on front and both sides. Only partially blocked in the rear, but there’s about three inches of clearance in the rear. It gets warm occasionally but never hot to the touch even with all channels driven.
I posted a few weeks back about what I think is an overheating issue but didn’t get a response and now that I see the talk regarding fans wanted to ask again. Has anyone had their units sound cut out while watching a move, etc. but continue to stream video? If I turn it off and let it sit it comes back on after at least 30 minutes. It just did this again this evening and I realized I forgot to turn my cooling fan on and the 8012 was hot to the touch. I called tech support and don’t think they understood my issue and gave me some procedure for ARC setup. When the sound cuts out there is an audible sound like a small pop. I am thinking of an aircom cooling fan with the thermostat so it comes on right away. I do have the 8012 on the top shelf of an open rack so clearance is not an issue though the room is pretty warm at times. AC doesn’t always kick in here in the PNW and my AC thermostat is on the first floor. Anyone encounter this issue?

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
I posted a few weeks back about what I think is an overheating issue but didn’t get a response and now that I see the talk regarding fans wanted to ask again. Has anyone had their units sound cut out while watching a move, etc. but continue to stream video? If I turn it off and let it sit it comes back on after at least 30 minutes. It just did this again this evening and I realized I forgot to turn my cooling fan on and the 8012 was hot to the touch. I called tech support and don’t think they understood my issue and gave me some procedure for ARC setup. When the sound cuts out there is an audible sound like a small pop. I am thinking of an aircom cooling fan with the thermostat so it comes on right away. I do have the 8012 on the top shelf of an open rack so clearance is not an issue though the room is pretty warm at times. AC doesn’t always kick in here in the PNW and my AC thermostat is on the first floor. Anyone encounter this issue?
I am wondering what ohm speakers you have. Some low ohm speakers could possibly cause the unit to cut out. I have an Aircom T9 so I with thermostat so I have never had the internal fans come on.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
I am wondering what ohm speakers you have. Some low ohm speakers could possibly cause the unit to cut out. I have an Aircom T9 so I with thermostat so I have never had the internal fans come on.

https://www.lifewire.com/speaker-impedance-3134705

·
Registered
355 Posts

https://www.lifewire.com/speaker-impedance-3134705
Thanks for the link. I have R900 and R600 up front - they are 8 ohm speakers though per the specs can dip to a minimum of 3.2 ohm at times. Though I would say the issue has only happened since the weather has turned warmer and not during fall/winter when I first bought the unit. It’s a finished attic type room.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just an update but this time the sound did not come back after letting it sit overnight; no sound from any of the inputs/sources. Looks like a call to customer service as it looks like it will need to be sent in. Very frustrating as I only bought it in September.

1441 - 1460 of 2022 Posts