AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Hello,
Do you have an opinion on whether there is a need for additional cooling? I tink to get an AIRCOM T9 Component Cooling Fan System.
From the manufacturer’s perspective, if proper ventilation guidelines are followed/provided...then there’s NO need for additional cooling.

From an “objective” and manufacturer’s perspective, your installation appears to be ideal...completely open for optimal cooling. However, from a human/pure “subjective” perspective, the 8012’s Class A/B amps give off significant heat...hot to the touch when high performance demands are required. Even so, per @jdsmoothie, the unit’s own protection circuitry which activate its four internal fans at 158 degrees F have never been reported to engage. One then speculates that D&M design engineers knew exactly what they were doing and humans worry needlessly.:) On the other hand, it’s common knowledge that heat is the enemy of electronics...period. Heat over time will likely lead to degradation or premature component failure...when and to what extent...no one knows for sure. Bottom line here is the human condition wants to protect its investments...especially those that costs in the thousands of dollars. Therefore, additional external cooling (1) provides peace of mind (2) looks “cool” (3) copies what others are doing (4) only costs about $100...cheap compared to the 8012 and (5) makes AIRCOM very happy.:)

So...there you have it...pragmatically NOT necessary in your case...BUT, the human condition and marketing says buy one!:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
From the manufacturer’s perspective, if proper ventilation guidelines are followed/provided...then there’s NO need for additional cooling.

From an “objective” and manufacturer’s perspective, your installation appears to be ideal...completely open for optimal cooling. However, from a human/pure “subjective” perspective, the 8012’s Class A/B amps give off significant heat...hot to the touch when high performance demands are required. Even so, per @jdsmoothie , the unit’s own protection circuitry which activate its four internal fans at 158 degrees F have never been reported to engage. One then speculates that D&M design engineers knew exactly what they were doing and humans worry needlessly.:) On the other hand, it’s common knowledge that heat is the enemy of electronics...period. Heat over time will likely lead to degradation or premature component failure...when and to what extent...no one knows for sure. Bottom line here is the human condition wants to protect its investments...especially those that costs in the thousands of dollars. Therefore, additional external cooling (1) provides peace of mind (2) looks “cool” (3) copies what others are doing (4) only costs about $100...cheap compared to the 8012 and (5) makes AIRCOM very happy.:)

So...there you have it...pragmatically NOT necessary in your case...BUT, the human condition and marketing says buy one!:D
Thanks.
From the point of view of the price I absolutely agree. I have $ 3,000 and I have no problem with giving another 100.
I'm more bragging because there is no dealer and the order will cost me more than double. There will be no guarantee and I will have to wait more than a month even two. (not so big problem)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Thanks.
From the point of view of the price I absolutely agree. I have $ 3,000 and I have no problem with giving another 100.
I'm more bragging because there is no dealer and the order will cost me more than double. There will be no guarantee and I will have to wait more than a month even two. (not so big problem)
I also agree. In my case the unit is in a cabinet with only about 6 inches of space above it. The T9 has worked great for about a year and everything is cool to the touch. As others have said it is probably not necessary but it can't hurt and it could prolong the life of the internal components. The T9 also looks nice on top of the 8012.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Thanks.
Curious...what country are you in...and is Amazon available to you?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't know where you live, but here from Amazon France direct the top exhaust S9 is only 67 € and the rear exhaust S8 is 74 € both free delivery.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Anyone know a way to get the onscreen display overlays (info, volume at least) to work when using a 4k source? When using my Apple TV 4k, I only get onscreen volume while a show is playing, but not in the menus. When using my PC (outputting at 4k 4:4:4) I don't get any of these, and pushing 'info' seems to make the display switch modes to show only the info screen, then switch back to the source when I push it again.

·
Premium Member
88,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,469 (Edited)
Anyone know a way to get the onscreen display overlays (info, volume at least) to work when using a 4k source? When using my Apple TV 4k, I only get onscreen volume while a show is playing, but not in the menus. When using my PC (outputting at 4k 4:4:4) I don't get any of these, and pushing 'info' seems to make the display switch modes to show only the info screen, then switch back to the source when I push it again.
Working as designed (p. 286 Owner's manual).

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Speaking of video chips...;)

Interesting new problem since the latest firmware. On both my x4500 and my Marantz 8012 (both with recently updated firmware) I have a hit or miss situation on getting the volume overlay on my TVs on power up from standby. Both receivers should have pretty similar video chains and probaably run very similar firmware in that regard (as they were both updated at the same time when D&M released the latest for both). If I power cycle the AVR only (leave the TV and source device on) in this sutuation the volume overlay returns. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior?

As a side note, this is with SDR material so no Dolby Vision involved which I know will not give a volume overlay.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Anyone have a source for the rackmount kit for this receiver? I own it and have it on a shelf in a cabinet, I want to remove the shelf it is sitting on and mount it on a rack in a cabinet so it will be on the top so heat will still be able to escape at the top. I see a listing on BHphoto for it but apparently it is never in stock. If the rack mount kit was never produced, anyone use a shelf in a rack? Will it fit on one large enough to hold it?

·
Registered
554 Posts
My two "height" speakers are currently positionned and declared as "Top Middle" as they physically are at the top of the side walls and at mid distance between the front line and the listening position, they were the height speakers of the former Dolby pro logic IIz.
Now I'd like to compare the sound in the two modes Dolby Surround with the two speakers as "Height Front" and Neural X with the same two speakers as "Top Middle".

Question even so nothing has physicaly been moved, do I have to re-run an Audissey calibration for each mode ?

·
Premium Member
88,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,475
My two "height" speakers are currently positionned and declared as "Top Middle" as they physically are at the top of the side walls and at mid distance between the front line and the listening position, they were the height speakers of the former Dolby pro logic IIz.
Now I'd like to compare the sound in the two modes Dolby Surround with the two speakers as "Height Front" and Neural X with the same two speakers as "Top Middle".

Question even so nothing has physicaly been moved, do I have to re-run an Audissey calibration for each mode ?
Yes, unless of course you want to compare each mode without Audyssey being enabled.

You can either save each EQ to a USB thumb drive or if you purchase the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android, $20), you can run the EQ from the app and then each EQ is stored on the phone/tablet and can be loaded to the AVR when needed. In either case, the LOAD time takes only about 1 minute.

·
Premium Member
88,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,476
Anyone have a source for the rackmount kit for this receiver? I own it and have it on a shelf in a cabinet, I want to remove the shelf it is sitting on and mount it on a rack in a cabinet so it will be on the top so heat will still be able to escape at the top. I see a listing on BHphoto for it but apparently it is never in stock. If the rack mount kit was never produced, anyone use a shelf in a rack? Will it fit on one large enough to hold it?
Not an item often purchased, so generally not held in stock. PM for sourcing info.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yes, unless of course you want to compare each mode without Audyssey being enabled.

You can either save each EQ to a USB thumb drive or if you purchase the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android, $20), you can run the EQ from the app and then each EQ is stored on the phone/tablet and can be loaded to the AVR when needed. In either case, the LOAD time takes only about 1 minute.
Thanks JD, this is what I suspected, even so it is strange as they are not moved, their response to the calibration stimulus will be the same.

As it happens I already have the MultEQ editor but not used it so far, so it will be a good incentive to use it .... :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just heard a 8012 and was extremely impressed, so much so that I want to upgrade from my Denon x4400.

I have a 7chx200wpc power amp in my chain already, and wanted to ask if there was any real audio/video quality difference between the 8012 and the 6013? I see the 8012 has 4+volts on it's rca pre-outs, but can't tell what the 6013 has. Would the A/V quality be same or should I spend the extra money and get the 8012?

·
Vendor
27,506 Posts
There are fans built into the unit.
I am saying more fans included. Them all kicking on at 158 though I would think should be lowered to 125.....

Hello,
Do you have an opinion on whether there is a need for additional cooling? I tink to get an AIRCOM T9 Component Cooling Fan System.
Thanks.
Ture that, when you are spending that much what another $100. Not to mention you can use it on your next receiver too....

·
Registered
675 Posts

From an “objective” and manufacturer’s perspective, your installation appears to be ideal...completely open for optimal cooling. However, from a human/pure “subjective” perspective, the 8012’s Class A/B amps give off significant heat...hot to the touch when high performance demands are required. Even so, per @jdsmoothie, the unit’s own protection circuitry which activate its four internal fans at 158 degrees F have never been reported to engage. One then speculates that D&M design engineers knew exactly what they were doing and humans worry needlessly.:) On the other hand, it’s common knowledge that heat is the enemy of electronics...period. Heat over time will likely lead to degradation or premature component failure...when and to what extent...no one knows for sure. Bottom line here is the human condition wants to protect its investments...especially those that costs in the thousands of dollars. Therefore, additional external cooling (1) provides peace of mind (2) looks “cool” (3) copies what others are doing (4) only costs about $100...cheap compared to the 8012 and (5) makes AIRCOM very happy.:)

It is not necessary if you provide the unit with adequate ventilation per manufacturer' recommendations, are willing to rely on the internal fans as well as their temperature set point, and you are not keen on improved longevity. I would assume D&M choose a temperature set point high enough that in most cases those fans would never turn on and make noise, but low enough that in the rare cases they would turn on to protect the unit from malfunctioning, and/or heat related damage over time (as you mentioned). Again, need or no need, depends on whether you want your unit to have a better chance to last well beyond the 3 year warranty period, for normal use. IMO, those expensive Aircoms are just for the look, for adequate cooling, two or even just one AC infinity fan (

1461 - 1480 of 2022 Posts