AVS Forum banner

6421 - 6440 of 11088 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Only HDMI ports 2 & 3 supports 4K HDR right?

Can someone give me suggestions how to set up the HDMI connections to my X930E?

I Have these devices to connect to the TV

1) my computer with GTX 1070 TI card (supports 4K HDR)
2) LG UP970 Blue Ray Player (supports Dolby Vision)
3) Apple TV 4K (supports Dolby Vision)
4) Nintendo Switch

I am confused if the computer should be connected to HDMI 1 or either 2 or 3?

Initially I had planned for the blue ray player to be connected to HDMI 2 and Apple TV 4K to HDMI 3 but then I started to wonder about my computer.

Oh yes, I also have the LG SJ8 sound bar to connect to the TV. Do I just connect it though optical cable or HDMI (ARC)?

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
977 Posts
All ports support 4K HDR 30fps, but only ports 2 and 3 support 60 fps.

I believe ports 1 and 4 can also support 4K HDR 4:2:0, but I’m not entirely sure about that. 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 only work on ports 2 and 3 and only if enhanced HDMI is enabled.

ARC only works on port 3, so I wouldn’t waste it on the sound bar. Instead use optical.

·
Registered
102 Posts
All ports support 4K HDR 30fps, but only ports 2 and 3 support 60 fps.

I believe ports 1 and 4 can also support 4K HDR 4:2:0, but I’m not entirely sure about that. 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 only work on ports 2 and 3 and only if enhanced HDMI is enabled.

ARC only works on port 3, so I wouldn’t waste it on the sound bar. Instead use optical.
Ok so optical cable is best option for Sound bar.

How do you suggest I setup my other 4 devices within my HDMI ports?

Blue Ray (Dolby Vision) would need HDMI 2 or 3 right
Apple TV 4K (Dolby Vision) would again need HDMI 2 or 3

Will the computer be fine for HDMI 1
Of course Nintendo switch will be fine on either HDMI 1 or 4.

what do you think?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I saw the “crawling bugs” on the Apple TV’s trailers app which isn’t HDR. I’ve determined it’s more visibility when the screen is very bright, as when I stopped using Cinema Home it mostly vanished. Cinema Home enables features that brighten the image.

That could also explain why I mainly see it on HDR since that maxes out the brightness. I’m not sure the proper way to work around that other than turning down the brightness.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ok so optical cable is best option for Sound bar.

How do you suggest I setup my other 4 devices within my HDMI ports?

Blue Ray (Dolby Vision) would need HDMI 2 or 3 right

Apple TV 4K (Dolby Vision) would again need HDMI 2 or 3

Will the computer be fine for HDMI 1

Of course Nintendo switch will be fine on either HDMI 1 or 4.

what do you think?

If your computer doesn’t support HDR, then it’s fine on port 1 or 4. The rest should be as you list it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If your computer doesn’t support HDR, then it’s fine on port 1 or 4. The rest should be as you list it.

Thanks for your reply.
Here is the display card for my computer. I believe it supports 4K HDR and the HDMI port on the display card is rated 2.0b.

http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=354

I am confused which HDMI port to use for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
977 Posts
The software update page now lists an additional change in the latest firmware update.

“Corrects a condition where a short beeping sound is heard when changing channels”.

On an unrelated note, Vudu says they found playback problems with HDR when testing their new app they are working on which they claim requires a TV firmware update. No reason was given and it’s odd that they released a 4K HDR Vudu app that supports the 2018 Sony TV’s, but apparently doesn’t work on the 2017 ones despite the same chip. Anyway they say that if they release the update, they would have to disable HDR, so it would be 4K SDR only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
updated via usb to the newest firmware and it has broken HDR on my ps4 pro which was working with the January update. I do use a matrix switch and have no tried direct without it, but very disheartened to update and have less functionality. Anyone know the best was to pass it along to sony?

·
Registered
24 Posts
updated via usb to the newest firmware and it has broken HDR on my ps4 pro which was working with the January update. I do use a matrix switch and have no tried direct without it, but very disheartened to update and have less functionality. Anyone know the best was to pass it along to sony?
It may be the switch. I'm using latest firmware on my 930 and no problems with PS4 pro HDR games...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone confirm that Dolby Vision is now working on HDMI ports 2/3? I don't see DV when using Netflix/Apple Movies on ATV4K.

·
Vendor
26,685 Posts
Hey guys I just got around to updating via USB today. I used a 16 GB USB 2.0 stick and updated using the USB 2.0 port with no issues. I couldn't find any information via google about any Dolby Vision content on Amazon Prime Canada. Do you guys know if it's available in Canada and if yes what content may have it?
You would think Amazon US and Canada would be the same with the prime movies anyway, wonder why that is.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Can anyone confirm that Dolby Vision is now working on HDMI ports 2/3? I don't see DV when using Netflix/Apple Movies on ATV4K.
I was getting the black screen of death :eek: I had to hard/cold restart my ATV4K after the updates to the X930E and the Netflix app.

Leon McKee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dolby vision working with ATV 4k for me - you gotta install the latest beta firmware on ATV however.

·
Registered
857 Posts
One more thought if a restart does not help... Verify your TV setting for enhanced signal format. I've not heard of that setting being reverted, but some users have reported other settings that where changed.

Leon McKee

Reactions: Madmax67
6421 - 6440 of 11088 Posts