AVS Forum banner

6441 - 6460 of 11087 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Has anyone gotten this recent update via the internet without getting the previous DV update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Installed the latest update this week....the same day it was released....it was so new that it was not on the SONY site yet until the following day...When I checked my 65 inch 930E it said there was a new update available so I installed it over the internet/I have wired connection...it installed flawlessly...install all my updates on all my devices same way and never had a problem...I have wired connections on all my devices...never wireless.....
Oh....and I did have the previous update installed on my 930E since JANUARY when it was first released that gave us SONY's implementation of DOLBY VISION that caused such an uproar and understandably so....
I hear that many have checked their 930E's for an update and found none...For the life of me I dont know how these rollouts are scheduled

·
Registered
66 Posts
Installed the latest update this week....the same day it was released....it was so new that it was not on the SONY site yet until the following day...When I checked my 65 inch 930E it said there was a new update available so I installed it over the internet/I have wired connection...it installed flawlessly...install all my updates on all my devices same way and never had a problem...I have wired connections on all my devices...never wireless.....

Oh....and I did have the previous update installed on my 930E since JANUARY when it was first released that gave us SONY's implementation of DOLBY VISION that caused such an uproar and understandably so....

I hear that many have checked their 930E's for an update and found none...For the life of me I dont know how these rollouts are scheduled

Why I asked is because I don’t have the previous DV update. I didn’t get it through the internet nor installed via usb. I called Sony and asked if they knew when a future update was happing. (Obviously they didn’t) but what worried me was the rep said that if I didn’t install that update via USB I wouldn’t get any future updates.

People on here said that’s crazy but now that this new update has arrived and I still didn’t get it, makes me think maybe that rep was right?

Idk.

·
Registered
204 Posts
interested in your first impressions.
So far out if the box no damage.

Turned the on did a brief set up. No dead pixels. Running a color test without having messed with the settings yet and the picture/screen looks good so far. Coming from a 65x900a that had a pice of dust behind the glass.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I’m happy to report I got the update to work. I used a different 4GB 2.0 thumb drive with just the .pkg file on it (and not the extracted folder). It started updating about 10 seconds after I plugged it in. I guess there must be something wrong with the other thumb drives I tried. Thanks for all the help and advice.

I’m also happy to report that initial tests show the high pitched audio pop when changing sources seems to be fixed. That’s why I wanted this update so bad. Hopefully it proves to be completely fixed.
Glad to hear you got it to work and the solution was pretty simple in the end. Good news!

Leon McKee

Reactions: Indiana627

·
Registered
857 Posts
If I restore the TV to factory settings do you think I’ll be able to get the update then?
I would hate to see you have to go through a reset as you'll have to redo all your settings! However, if you don't want to do the USB update and you're not getting the OTA update then maybe this is your only choice. There's a new post here of someone getting a new 930E today. Maybe you should ask him if during the initial setup was his set updated to the most current version. That might give you some guidance!

Leon McKee

P.S. The USB update would be so much easier ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Only HDMI ports 2 & 3 supports 4K HDR right?

Can someone give me suggestions how to set up the HDMI connections to my X930E?

I Have these devices to connect to the TV

1) my computer with GTX 1070 TI card (supports 4K HDR)
2) LG UP970 Blue Ray Player (supports Dolby Vision)
3) Apple TV 4K (supports Dolby Vision)
4) Nintendo Switch

I am confused if the computer should be connected to HDMI 1 or either 2 or 3?

Initially I had planned for the blue ray player to be connected to HDMI 2 and Apple TV 4K to HDMI 3 but then I started to wonder about my computer.

Oh yes, I also have the LG SJ8 sound bar to connect to the TV. Do I just connect it though optical cable or HDMI (ARC)?

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any more suggestions? My TV is coming on Monday morning and I wish to be prepared.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Any more suggestions? My TV is coming on Monday morning and I wish to be prepared.
Depends on how important your computer is compared to the ATV4K and UHD Player!

My personal choice would be...

HDMI1 > Computer

HDMI2 > ATV4K

HDMI3 > UHD Player

HDMI4 > Nintendo

HDMI2&3 set to enhanced using Certified Premium HDMI cables.

Leon McKee

·
Registered
710 Posts
Why I asked is because I don’t have the previous DV update. I didn’t get it through the internet nor installed via usb. I called Sony and asked if they knew when a future update was happing. (Obviously they didn’t) but what worried me was the rep said that if I didn’t install that update via USB I wouldn’t get any future updates.

People on here said that’s crazy but now that this new update has arrived and I still didn’t get it, makes me think maybe that rep was right?

Idk.

idk.
I always thought that any new update "includes" all updates/improvements of the previous updates(s).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my 2015 Vizio M65 and considering a 65" Sony X930E.
Fantastic prices on this model!

The question is, if you had to do it all over again, would you still purchase this Sony?

If you've seen both tv's, would you say that the upgrade to the 930 will be substantial?
I realize that both RTings and Consumers Report rates the Sony way above the Vizio but I'd love to hear from owners.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So far out if the box no damage.

Turned the on did a brief set up. No dead pixels. Running a color test without having messed with the settings yet and the picture/screen looks good so far. Coming from a 65x900a that had a pice of dust behind the glass.

Did you get the current update when you got your new set? I’m thinking about factory resetting mines because I’m not getting the update via internet. :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would hate to see you have to go through a reset as you'll have to redo all your settings! However, if you don't want to do the USB update and you're not getting the OTA update then maybe this is your only choice. There's a new post here of someone getting a new 930E today. Maybe you should ask him if during the initial setup was his set updated to the most current version. That might give you some guidance!

Leon McKee

P.S. The USB update would be so much easier ;)

Most Likely I’m gonna have to go that route lol. Help me Leon, you’re my only hope.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Most Likely I’m gonna have to go that route lol. Help me Leon, you’re my only hope.
That sounds like a quote from Star Wars :D

We're not all online all the time, but I/we will do what we can to help. The best thing to do is get yourself a 4GB or higher USB 2.0 or 3.0 thumb drive, grab your computer and then come back to the forum and seek the guidance you need! Also, bring up the Sony support page so you have the USB install instructions. This would allow you to take it one step at a time while getting feedback from forum members. No rush!

I won't be online much today, but when I'm online I'll help the best I can!

Leon McKee

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I got the DV update over the internet, but my TV still claims that no new update is available. It would be nice if there were some discernible pattern to the online update availability.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Can you guys please let me know what apps currently support Dolby Vision on the Sony x930e?
Netflix and Prime with Netflix being the clear leader!

Leon McKee

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does anyone have any "inside" news if the 930E will be re-placed with a 930F this year??? Has anything been announced even unofficially. Or will the 930E's life be extended thru the year (much like the Z9D that has been extended as much as it has).
When I was deciding between the 930E and 900F, my dealer forwarded a piece from Sony that said "No 930F this year."

6441 - 6460 of 11087 Posts