AVS Forum banner

6461 - 6480 of 11089 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Does Prime Video actually have Dolby Vision content? I thought they only had HDR 10 content...
See Bosch UHD Season 2.

Netflix is the clear winner.

Leon McKee

·
Registered
53 Posts
For those that have had their TV calibrated, did you use a different mode for the HDR calibration?
Currently mine is set up:

Cinema home - Daytime viewing
Cinema pro - Nighttime viewing
HDR - Using Cinema pro w/ brightness maxed and X-Dynamic Range on High
DV - Not calibrated

·
Registered
102 Posts
Depends on how important your computer is compared to the ATV4K and UHD Player!

My personal choice would be...

HDMI1 > Computer

HDMI2 > ATV4K

HDMI3 > UHD Player

HDMI4 > Nintendo

HDMI2&3 set to enhanced using Certified Premium HDMI cables.

Leon McKee
Thanks for your reply.

I also think that would be the best option.

HDMI 1 = Computer (Using generic HDMI 2.0a cable)
HDMI 2 = Apple TV 4K (Using certified HDMI 2.0a cable) see picture of the cable
HDMI 3 = UHD Blue Ray Player (Using certified HDMI 2.0a cable) see picture of the cable
HDMI 4 = Nintendo Switch (Using generic HDMI 2.0a cable)

The certified HDMI 2.0a cables are okay for Apple TV 4K and UHD Blue Ray Player?

The LG SJ8 sound bar, I should just use an optical cable?

Does anyone know any sound bar with 2 optical in inputs?

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I also think that would be the best option.

HDMI 1 = Computer (Using generic HDMI 2.0a cable)
HDMI 2 = Apple TV 4K (Using certified HDMI 2.0a cable) see picture of the cable
HDMI 3 = UHD Blue Ray Player (Using certified HDMI 2.0a cable) see picture of the cable
HDMI 4 = Nintendo Switch (Using generic HDMI 2.0a cable)

The certified HDMI 2.0a cables are okay for Apple TV 4K and UHD Blue Ray Player?

The LG SJ8 sound bar, I should just use an optical cable?

Does anyone know any sound bar with 2 optical in inputs?
Sounds good!

Run everything to your TV via HMDI and then run one optical to your soundbar. That's what I do and it works just fine!

Leon McKee

Reactions: MCube74

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Has anyone gotten this recent update via the internet without getting the previous DV update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. Hey, Chris. I used an UV128/8GB Adata USB 3.0 thumb drive for my firmware update. Their reliable storage drives and relatively inexpensive at that. Just follow the directions Sony gives for USB update and you'll be set in no time.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Nope. Hey, Chris. I used an UV128/8GB Adata USB 3.0 thumb drive for my firmware update. Their reliable storage drives and relatively inexpensive at that. Just follow the directions Sony gives for USB update and you'll be set in no time.
Evening, Curious why do you not allow the update to go straight to your 930?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Evening, Curious why do you not allow the update to go straight to your 930?
Because I've never gotten one offered up. Waited through the end of February and decided I had waited enough. Same with this newest one. Sony needs larger servers.

Reactions: 49Merc

·
Registered
102 Posts
Because I've never gotten one offered up. Waited through the end of February and decided I had waited enough. Same with this newest one. Sony needs larger servers.
Obviously we can only use the firmware matching to our own region right? Meaning my Hong Kong model x9300E will not have the same firmware as the ones used for x93E right?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Obviously we can only use the firmware matching to our own region right? Meaning my Hong Kong model x9300E will not have the same firmware as the ones used for x93E right?
I'm almost positive that's correct. Was a big no no from my time doing Android support on XDA Developers so I'll assume the same for TV upgrades as well. Not worth even chancing a bricked TV set.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds good!

Run everything to your TV via HMDI and then run one optical to your soundbar. That's what I do and it works just fine!

Leon McKee
Thanks.

On my old 46” Samsung 3D LED my computer was connected by HDMI to HDMI / DVI and I had to connect a RCA cable to the back of the TV for audio in. I was using an onboard display card from intel at that time.

Just wondering if I will need to do the same this time for the Sony X930E. Hoping the HDMI port from my Nvidia GTX 1070 TI will also handle the audio this time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm almost positive that's correct. Was a big no no from my time doing Android support on XDA Developers so I'll assume the same for TV upgrades as well. Not worth even chancing a bricked TV set.
You are right. I need to find the latest firmware for my X9300E in Hong Kong and update manually if it is not sent to the TV. Will ask the Sony Technician who will deliver and setup my TV tomorrow to update for me. I do know that Dolby Vision update is not yet released in Hong Kong. People in HK work fast for money but slow for everything else.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I haven't messed with seeing yet, hopefully tomorrow.

I got 5 free movies. Spiderman Homecoming, Close Encounters, Elysium, Ghostbusters 2017, and Jumanji.

The picture looks great without having messed with settings.

I'm going to miss the 3D of the x900a.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can confirm that Dolby Vision is still not being implemented correctly using chromecast on new update.

The television is not getting the trigger to use the Dolby vision signal being pushed from the chromecast since we are supposed to get a notification that Dolby Vision is being used.

Just shows they are implementing their Dolby Vision working around the OS since we can't even force the HDR mode manually under HDR mode. Incompetence.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can confirm that Dolby Vision is still not being implemented correctly using chromecast on new update.

The television is not getting the trigger to use the Dolby vision signal being pushed from the chromecast since we are supposed to get a notification that Dolby Vision is being used.

Just shows they are implementing their Dolby Vision working around the OS since we can't even force the HDR mode manually under HDR mode. Incompetence.
Yea i noticed the same with the previous firmware, probably google has to update their version of Dolby vision like apple did.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks.

On my old 46” Samsung 3D LED my computer was connected by HDMI to HDMI / DVI and I had to connect a RCA cable to the back of the TV for audio in. I was using an onboard display card from intel at that time.

Just wondering if I will need to do the same this time for the Sony X930E. Hoping the HDMI port from my Nvidia GTX 1070 TI will also handle the audio this time.
No clue! This would be out of my area of knowledge. Sorry!

Leon McKee

·
Registered
45 Posts
65" arriving in an half-hour.
Pro's and Con's to everything. I know you probably paid a lot less for the 930E right?
Nope ;) got the 101fd NIB too. back in 2008, think they had it bundeled with some dumb bose 3 2 1 system for 2400, i returned the bose and the pioneer eneded up being a little less than 2k, had to swap the first one too since there were some stuck green pixels after watching soccer lol.

biggest concerns with the 930e is how it will handle motion, not expecting it to be at kuro levels but just dont want to see noticeable judder/lag on the feed.

excited for the larger screen size, read that 65" is 70% more area than 50"(if thats correct) :)

the pioneer will be packed up for a rainy day

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Nope ;) got the 101fd NIB too. back in 2008, think they had it bundeled with some dumb bose 3 2 1 system for 2400, i returned the bose and the pioneer eneded up being a little less than 2k, had to swap the first one too since there were some stuck green pixels after watching soccer lol.

biggest concerns with the 930e is how it will handle motion, not expecting it to be at kuro levels but just dont want to see noticeable judder/lag on the feed.

excited for the larger screen size, read that 65" is 70% more area than 50"(if thats correct) :)

the pioneer will be packed up for a rainy day
The 930 does not handle motion as naturally as a plasma, but it is still decent, and quite good for an LCD. Between its brightness and motion handling, it is a very good set for watching sports. The Panasonic GT50 I have in the family room handles motion better, but now I am stuck with some nasty IR after watching the NCAA tournament for five hours yesterday. I will probably watch on the 930 today to avoid making it worse.

6461 - 6480 of 11089 Posts