AVS Forum banner

8161 - 8180 of 11087 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Actually found it by accident after purchasing a new iPad recently. Mucking around testing things and low and behold boom 4K HDR from Youtube. Every now and than it fails to play it back just defaults to SDR.
It is strange, isn't it?

Some people have not been able to get it to work so it makes me wonder if it has to do with having a HDR capable device. (As the mobile casting device)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear All,

Im in a bit of a fix. Need your expert opinions.

After much back and forth, I finally pulled the trigger, and I believe got the last 65" XE930. (Im based in the Netherlands)

Somehow there was a deal that it was almost the same price as the 65" XE85, and XE90 (Sorry I know no price-talk)

Reason for getting the XE930 is my room is super bright during the day and I at first already got and returned a Samsung 6 series, as the screen was very difficult to watch with all the light falling on it.

I have a couple of issues, where Im struggling:

• Distance
    Coming from an 11 year old 720p 43" LG, this is quite an upgrade. I sit around 9 feet away, and from most internet recommendations, Im seeing that distance is pretty standard for a 65" 4k.

What I find is that if there are two actors in the screen, zoomed out, I need to focus on one and then the other to actually 'see' the details. Same for talk shows, if there are 5 people in the view, I'd have to focus on each to actually make out the details.

Im reading that one gets used to it, after some weeks. Your experience?

In movies its somehow better, as I think movies are filmed with the most content being in the center?
  • Screen Uniformity
    So heres the main culprit. When there are letterbox bars, they are typically jet black and thats great. When there is content playing, the local-dimming does a fab job in blacking out the empty parts of the screen. For example, the LG red fish demo, with a jet black back-ground looks amazing and no complaints.

Its when you switch content, or apps, in the transition in-between, I see this irritating screen uniformity issue. Its OK switching between TV channels (2 sec black screen) but if I turn on the radio channels, then the issue is fairly evident. Please see the attached photo.

Any opinions whether this affects, or can affect picture quality down the line?
  • Service
    This is maybe over-thinking, but I guess when the on-site warranty is over, I'd have to take this monster down to the shop and would need to rent a van. This is a small consideration as opposed to the above two.
  • Price
    Sorry I know it says no price talk, so I'd stay generic. I think I got it for less than half the launch price, and the XE85 and XE900 are going for the same or more, so I'm debating the value-for-money factor, considering the above.
So hopefully I didnt lose you till now. If you were me, would you keep the TV, or would you return it, and maybe get the 55" or another one altogether (struggling to find which one!)

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dear All,

Im in a bit of a fix. Need your expert opinions.

After much back and forth, I finally pulled the trigger, and I believe got the last 65" XE930. (Im based in the Netherlands)

Somehow there was a deal that it was almost the same price as the 65" XE85, and XE90 (Sorry I know no price-talk)

Reason for getting the XE930 is my room is super bright during the day and I at first already got and returned a Samsung 6 series, as the screen was very difficult to watch with all the light falling on it.

I have a couple of issues, where Im struggling:

• Distance
    Coming from an 11 year old 720p 43" LG, this is quite an upgrade. I sit around 9 feet away, and from most internet recommendations, Im seeing that distance is pretty standard for a 65" 4k.

What I find is that if there are two actors in the screen, zoomed out, I need to focus on one and then the other to actually 'see' the details. Same for talk shows, if there are 5 people in the view, I'd have to focus on each to actually make out the details.

Im reading that one gets used to it, after some weeks. Your experience?

In movies its somehow better, as I think movies are filmed with the most content being in the center?
  • Screen Uniformity
    So heres the main culprit. When there are letterbox bars, they are typically jet black and thats great. When there is content playing, the local-dimming does a fab job in blacking out the empty parts of the screen. For example, the LG red fish demo, with a jet black back-ground looks amazing and no complaints.

Its when you switch content, or apps, in the transition in-between, I see this irritating screen uniformity issue. Its OK switching between TV channels (2 sec black screen) but if I turn on the radio channels, then the issue is fairly evident. Please see the attached photo.

Any opinions whether this affects, or can affect picture quality down the line?
  • Service
    This is maybe over-thinking, but I guess when the on-site warranty is over, I'd have to take this monster down to the shop and would need to rent a van. This is a small consideration as opposed to the above two.
  • Price
    Sorry I know it says no price talk, so I'd stay generic. I think I got it for less than half the launch price, and the XE85 and XE900 are going for the same or more, so I'm debating the value-for-money factor, considering the above.
So hopefully I didnt lose you till now. If you were me, would you keep the TV, or would you return it, and maybe get the 55" or another one altogether (struggling to find which one!)

With respect to viewing distance, I have the 65” version of the X930E (XE93), and I also sit about 9 feet away and if anything I probably would wish to sit just a slight bit closer, though it’s fantastic at the present distance. For a 4K TV, at that distance and with that screen size, you are actually right at the maximum distance away that THX and others recommend. The reason is that if you are trying to recreate the theater experience at home, it is important that the screen is large enough and/or close enough to fill at least some of your peripheral vision to give you that feeling of being immersed in the film. Also, as you mentioned, you definitely will get used to the larger screen over time.

As for the uneven backlight clouding that you are seeing on static menu screens and the like, that is definitely perfectly normal for this TV, and all of us who own them see exactly what you have captured in your attached photo. It is not a defect and will not cause any problems down the road.

Any time that Local Dimming is not engaged, you will see this clouding effect to some extent. My suspicion for why it seems to only appear in things like static menus is that the TV’s processor is not powerful enough to run both the local dimming algorithm and the menu interface simultaneously without bogging down, and therefore Sony programs the TV to turn off local dimming at those times. That’s my guess anyway.

However, whenever the TV is displaying program content local dimming is engaged (assuming you have it turned on) and this clouding disappears, providing a pristine picture with uniform, deep blacks. I thought it was weird when I first noticed it on mine, but now that I understand what is happening it’s a complete non-issue, especially because it never affects actual viewing. Rest assured that you have purchased one of the very best TVs on the market, but no TV is perfect and this minor clouding behavior is a trivial trade off for the otherwise stunning performance of this set.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is there any chance a moderator could create a sticky at the top of the thread for shortcuts to different recommended settings, how to debloat, etc? I'd be happy to compile that information if it would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
FYI ... I got these from a YouTube channel if you were wondering.

Was that the guy who had his X930E professionally calibrated and then changed most all of the settings the calibrator had done soon after he left?

·
Registered
3 Posts
With respect to viewing distance, I have the 65” version of the X930E (XE93), and I also sit about 9 feet away and if anything I probably would wish to sit just a slight bit closer, though it’s fantastic at the present distance.
Firstly big thank you for jumping in and adding feedback.

Indeed, THX is more focused on theatre aspects while I believe for general TV viewing content is recorded to be watched for a different field of vision. But I concur, with time one gets used to it. Its funny, if Im reading subtitles Im missing the entire scene, although this is still the same with smaller TVs but less pronounced.

Sorry for bringing this up, I reckon this viewing distance is discussed over and over and it becomes a personal preference issue.

As for the uneven backlight clouding that you are seeing on static menu screens and the like, that is definitely perfectly normal for this TV, and all of us who own them see exactly what you have captured in your attached photo. It is not a defect and will not cause any problems down the road.
I also guess that the local dimming sort of turns off during transitions between different sources/apps and thus the clouding / screen uniformity phenomenon.

On the Radio input, the local dimming never kicks in, thus the clouding is persistent.

What puzzled me was watching those one or two youtubers who seem to have a huge following, and who profess to having had returned multiple XE930s just to get a better 'panel' WITHOUT this issue. :confused: . These youtubers, would have me believe that after the returns, their XE930 has zero clouding, once they get the perfect panel and the picture is so much better.

I reckon I need to play with bias lighting on the back to somehow counter the clouding or the infrequent torchlighting in the black letterbox bars, when there are very bright scenes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It is strange, isn't it?

Some people have not been able to get it to work so it makes me wonder if it has to do with having a HDR capable device. (As the mobile casting device)

It works for me with an iPad Air 2 which is not HDR capable so the casting device doesn’t matter. One thing I have noticed is that not all HDR videos play. Some throw up an error. Ones that do play do so only in stereo, even if they have 5.1 audio.

·
Vendor
26,675 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
It is strange, isn't it?

It seems to be firing up the 9.2 loader when I cast from my iOS devices.
In any case I am really, really happy you posted the YT loader link. HDR videos I’ve seen in straight 4K in the past look so much better now. Didn’t even know what I was missing. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
@WizeGuyDezignz

Interesting what you've done with color and motion. Looks just like a friend of mine's settings as he wanted pop (his words). Enjoy!

Leon McKee
I must be like your friend because I love picture that pops! LOL. I have always hated stuff that is too "accurate", it looks dull and lifeless to me personally. It's the reason I have always preferred AMOLED displays on my phones as well. I love Samsung phones and their screens since the colors pop so much. To each his own I guess lol. But I am really loving these settings!

Was that the guy who had his X930E professionally calibrated and then changed most all of the settings the calibrator had done soon after he left?
I'm not sure, but I think the guy said he is a professional calibrator himself. He is hated by a lot of people and his channel is seen as controversial to some which is why I didn't post the name lol. But it's Quantum Apotheosis. I'm not vouching for him at all and I'm not sure he is who he says he is, but that's where I got these settings and I'm happy with them lol.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
I must be like your friend because I love picture that pops! LOL. I have always hated stuff that is too "accurate", it looks dull and lifeless to me personally. It's the reason I have always preferred AMOLED displays on my phones as well. I love Samsung phones and their screens since the colors pop so much. To each his own I guess lol. But I am really loving these settings!

I'm not sure, but I think the guy said he is a professional calibrator himself. He is hated by a lot of people and his channel is seen as controversial to some which is why I didn't post the name lol. But it's Quantum Apotheosis. I'm not vouching for him at all and I'm not sure he is who he says he is, but that's where I got these settings and I'm happy with them lol.
Ah, ok. That's fine. Was just curious. There's another YouTuber with the X930E and several videos with setting recommends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like Durty Sprite Ent's x930e settings. I don't care if he changed his settings after getting it calibrated. The white balance was calibrated which is important. His settings are the best I have found in my opinion and especially because I do not like how Dolby Vision is dimmer over HDMI using the Apple 4KTV or the Sony X700. The movie It on UHD Dolby Vision looked amazing with his settings.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Indeed, THX is more focused on theatre aspects while I believe for general TV viewing content is recorded to be watched for a different field of vision. But I concur, with time one gets used to it. Its funny, if Im reading subtitles Im missing the entire scene, although this is still the same with smaller TVs but less pronounced.

Sorry for bringing this up, I reckon this viewing distance is discussed over and over and it becomes a personal preference issue.

I also guess that the local dimming sort of turns off during transitions between different sources/apps and thus the clouding / screen uniformity phenomenon.

What puzzled me was watching those one or two youtubers who seem to have a huge following, and who profess to having had returned multiple XE930s just to get a better 'panel' WITHOUT this issue. :confused: . These youtubers, would have me believe that after the returns, their XE930 has zero clouding, once they get the perfect panel and the picture is so much better.

I reckon I need to play with bias lighting on the back to somehow counter the clouding or the infrequent torchlighting in the black letterbox bars, when there are very bright scenes.
I sit about 10 & 1/2 feet away from my 65 inch and it feels like the perfect distance.

Sadly, most YouTuber's are clueless morons just looking for Likes and "views" on their videos. There are exceptions but their few and far between.

A good bias lighting kit will help with the blooming issue somewhat.

The local dimming issue is just a technical one not a defect. You're fine there.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
I like Durty Sprite Ent's x930e settings.
Yup, that's him.

I don't care if he changed his settings after getting it calibrated. The white balance was calibrated which is important. His settings are the best I have found in my opinion
I kinda do. It's at least a relevant thing to point out. He literally maxed out the brightness which makes zero sense, wouldn't let the calibrator use the correct color temp. before hand, changed the hue setting, turned on most of the other enhancers and changed the gamma after the calibrator left. The fact that he left the calibrator's white balance alone is, to me, pretty irrelevant at that point.

and especially because I do not like how Dolby Vision is dimmer over HDMI using the Apple 4KTV or the Sony X700. The movie It on UHD Dolby Vision looked amazing with his settings.
Dolby Vision isn't blowing out the highlights like HDR10. Isn't noticeably dimmer on my set with the OPPO and I've A/B'd it a few times. The whole point of doing a calibration is having an accurate baseline for content. Changing literally everything but the white balance settings after the fact makes no sense to me but to each his own. He should have just kept his money and posted his own settings is my point. I actually have watched his videos for awhile and I like his demeanor.

Everyone is free to enjoy whatever picture they think looks best in their setup but you don't really even need this guy to do it. Plus his eyes are different, his spaces lighting is different etc.. I'd rather have the set be as accurate as possible for the majority of graded content then tweak some minor things based on other content type( animation, SD cable source etc..) That's all. Just my opinion as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are definitely two groups of opinion when it comes to picture settings. Those who believe a calibrated accurate picture is the only acceptable viewing experience and those who think picture settings are subjective to personal taste. The x930e has been a wonderful TV that seems to provide a picture everyone can appreciate. My only issue currently with the x930e is the beta Vudu app still needs more development, but once the app developers complete the beta it could provide the brightest Dolby Vision experience on the x930e.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not sure if this has become more common since HDR was introduced, but I find it interesting how some people equate picture quality to screen brightness.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I'm not sure if this has become more common since HDR was introduced, but I find it interesting how some people equate picture quality to screen brightness.
It has definitely become more common because of the requirements that HDR has related to brightness. The higher the light output of the panel, the less tone mapping necessary.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
That's why the stores use vivid mode with a neutral temp. Under fluorescent lights it looks great. In the home not so much. Least to me. Now I do use animation mode for Pixar movies but that's not blowing out my colors in normal movies because I don't make it a baseline setting. The problem with doing that is the reds may pop more and that's fine if you want that but your flesh tones will look like everyone has a suntan.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Most win that lottery or don't even know about it.......
Thanx. So spent last nite playing around with different settings. Haven’t settled on anything concrete yet. Dolby Vision has been a disappointment as of now. Regular 4k and HDR streams look FANTASTIC. One question I have is it seems as though settings don’t stay locked in between picture sources. Any ideas? Don’t wanna constantly re enter settings when I switch between platforms. Surprised that my Sammy KS 8000 and 6300 1080p handle the few OTA channels I have better than the 930. I’ll keep looking on YouTube till I find the perfect settings that I can use and keep for all platforms. Any help here would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanx.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Does anyone know where this message is coming from? I have Power/Auto shut-off turn off, and Screen saver/Put device to sleep set to never. The only thing left is to turn Power/Idle TV standby from 24h to Off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8161 - 8180 of 11087 Posts