AVS Forum banner

4601 - 4620 of 10004 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Ok so just for plain ol' HDR10. Which recent 4K movies are great show pieces for HDR and high contrast. I've watched the John Wick 2 and the ending was decent. Watching the newest Star Trek in 4K and really nothing "pops" at all. It's a very dull looking picture so far. I have Spiderman and POTC that I have yet to watch.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
so you mean he should not that he will have to wait a year for DV update?

some comments are just incredible

Give your head a shake man.

True or False , you and him and all of us, bought the TV without working DV correct ??

I don’t buy my Electronics based on what it might be able to do down the line. I buy them based on current features.

I’ve had just about enough of the whining and moaning about something the damn thing never had to begin with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,537 Posts
OK, for anyone interested about using Clearness along with Smooth in Custom Motionflow.

These are Cinema Pro readings, from the mode cal'd by ChadB:

SDR
Brightness 9
Clearness 0
100% full field
160 nits

SDR
Brightness 9
Clearness 1
100% full field
95 nits

SDR
Brightness 28
Clearness 1
100% full field
160 nits

HDR10
Brightness Max and Xtend Dyn Range High
Clearness 0
10% Window
1292 nits

HDR10
Clearness 1
10% Window
650 nits

So, in SDR, I had to go from 9 to 28 to counteract Clearness 1 (backlight scanning)
In HDR, you cant make any changes, so it basically takes you from a 1300 nit LCD to a 650 nit OLED :)

I also have a very aggressive ansi contrast pattern I decided to use while I was goofing off (small squares). 0.0047 footlamberts MLL, and 45.10fL peak. If I did my math right, that's like 9600:1 CR on very small squares (white/black/white/black staggered across screen), which is excellent.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Guys, BestBuy will deliver my 940e tomorrow. What should I do before I let them go? I plan to open it and check for damages if any and don't know about power on. What else should I do?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ok so just for plain ol' HDR10. Which recent 4K movies are great show pieces for HDR and high contrast. I've watched the John Wick 2 and the ending was decent. Watching the newest Star Trek in 4K and really nothing "pops" at all. It's a very dull looking picture so far. I have Spiderman and POTC that I have yet to watch.
Try Sicario in 4K UHD. Good movie to if you haven’t seen it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

Consider the new release of the Dark Knight trilogy in 4K. Fantastic Stuff

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Consider the new release of the Dark Knight trilogy in 4K. Fantastic Stuff

Alright thanks for your impressions. Perhaps I'll just by the Dark Knight by itself. It's the only one I really like, and it's one of my favorite movies.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Pacific Rim is great. X-Men Apocalypse was also really good. Mad Max is another great looking one.

Reactions: psuKinger

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I agree Fury Road is great and I just have the regular old 2k. Incredible colors and detail. Not sure if I want to buy it yet again on 4K. Because mine also has the 3D version. Not feeling having 2 copies of the same movie side by side.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I agree Fury Road is great and I just have the regular old 2k. Incredible colors and detail. Not sure if I want to buy it yet again on 4K. Because mine also has the 3D version. Not feeling having 2 copies of the same movie side by side.
Mad Max Fury Road in UHD is a reference disc in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Have you seen both? That much better in 4K?

I just got home with Blade Runner, The Dark Knight, and Inception. I think I made a pretty good "4K run" tonight, lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
...which also puts you 9+ months out from having a "good" shot at getting the 2018 model for something remotely close (~65%-70% of initial release price) to what a 940E can be had for this time of year...

TIFWIW, and maybe you're a "buy in April guy"... I'm all about buying higher end tech (like a 940E), but I simply buy too much of it (or don't make enough money, either which way), I can't bring myself to buy in April tech that will *literally* be $2,000 less if I just wait until until October...

And YMMV, but to me, HDR10 looks stunning on these 940E's... the value of having a set with super-high peak brightness capabilities isn't that it can sear your eyeballs (not all that great, obviously), but it's the CAPABILITY to sear your eyeballs that allow for a pretty great "mapping" of static HDR10 metadata for content that needs to get "mapped down to the brightness capabilities of a specific set".
I totally agree with this. I have been waiting for the price to drop on the 940E since it was announced at CES last year, and I just pulled the trigger on Black Friday and it was reduced more than 32% from it's original price when it came out in April.
Obviously every year the next model will be better at least for a for more years until electro-emissive quantum dots are a reality (maybe 2022).
You can't just wait forever.
Kadath has been saying "he called it right" and he's glad he didn't buy this year and he's saying how we all couldn't watch DV, but I don't think he's bought anything yet so he has also missed out on DV all year anyway. If he does end up buying a 940F in April he will pay more than 30% more than I did.

Bill.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I totally agree with this. I have been waiting for the price to drop on the 940E since it was announced at CES last year, and I just pulled the trigger on Black Friday and it was reduced more than 32% from it's original price when it came out in April.
Obviously every year the next model will be better at least for a for more years until electro-emissive quantum dots are a reality (maybe 2022).
Kadath has been saying "he called it right" and he's glad he didn't buy this year and he's saying how we all couldn't watch DV, but I don't think he's bought anything yet so he has also missed out on DV all year anyway. If he does end up buying a 940F in April he will pay more than 30% more than I did.

Bill.
Can't wait for that as well. Will be a glorious day if/when that technology becomes a reality.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am having trouble enabling hdr on Google play store. I got the free spider man movie and ghost buster movie in 4k, but when the tv setting is on auto, I get no hdr. I set it to hdr10 and it works but the colors are way off. Does auto not work? Am I doing something wrong. Also note those movies support hdr. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
So I guess I've got some vertical banding. I actually understand a bit of DSE and I can live with it. But this is right down the middle of the screen, and it actually appears a bit darker to the left of the line, and brighter on the right. That's still vertical banding right?

Yep I think it's vertical banding. I have it on just the HDMI input with the cyan background. I can see a LITTLE on the right side of the screen. But from the middle to the left side it is much much worse. Looks like I'll have to talk to Sony again.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Any pictures showing the bandings that you would care to share with us ?

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
So I guess I've got some vertical banding. I actually understand a bit of DSE and I can live with it. But this is right down the middle of the screen, and it actually appears a bit darker to the left of the line, and brighter on the right. That's still vertical banding right?

Yep I think it's vertical banding. I have it on just the HDMI input with the cyan background. I can see a LITTLE on the right side of the screen. But from the middle to the left side it is much much worse. Looks like I'll have to talk to Sony again.

So you can see that banding in actual content or just on the slide ?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Give your head a shake man.

True or False , you and him and all of us, bought the TV without working DV correct ??

I don’t buy my Electronics based on what it might be able to do down the line. I buy them based on current features.

I’ve had just about enough of the whining and moaning about something the damn thing never had to begin with

This is about as much of an overreach (if not moreso) than the people on the other side of the fence, IMO. The manufacturer promised this feature. They publicized, surely because they believed doing so would boost sales. And now they haven't been able to deliver on that promise in what I think any reasonable person would consider "a timely manner". I'm not sure why some of you are so shocked that their's griping going on.

Personally, I don't really think it's that big of a deal TO ME..... hence I haven't been one of the people griping. But, full disclosure, I also wouldn't have bought this set if that promise hadn't been made, because I have enough disposal income to afford a TV like this, but I can't/choose not to spend it on something that doesn't give me VERY HIGH CONFIDENCE that I'm about as future-proofed as (what I deem to be) reasonably possible... and having DV was part of that, for me.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

Bill.
As long as Sony follows through and brings us Dolby Vision *eventually*, I won't have ANY regrets about having this set. None. Zero.

I'm on record (again and again) as saying I really don't think DV is going to make that much of a difference (on this set)... but I certainly WANT the feature so that we can all see for ourselves. I'd love to be wrong about that, too, FWIW...

Reactions: lucacow

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
OK, for anyone interested about using Clearness along with Smooth in Custom Motionflow.

These are Cinema Pro readings, from the mode cal'd by ChadB:

SDR
Brightness 9
Clearness 0
100% full field
160 nits

SDR
Brightness 9
Clearness 1
100% full field
95 nits

SDR
Brightness 28
Clearness 1
100% full field
160 nits

HDR10
Clearness 0
10% Window
1292 nits

HDR10
Clearness 1
10% Window
650 nits

So, in SDR, I had to go from 9 to 28 to counteract Clearness 1 (backlight scanning)
In HDR, you cant make any changes, so it basically takes you from a 1300 nit LCD to a 650 nit OLED :)

I also have a very aggressive ansi contrast pattern I decided to use while I was goofing off (small squares). 0.0047 footlamberts MLL, and 45.10fL peak. If I did my math right, that's like 9600:1 CR on very small squares (white/black/white/black staggered across screen), which is excellent.

Thanks for that. I have found smooth 2 clear 1, cinemotion low to be the sweet spot for all non HDR content. For HDR i reduce clear to min and keep smooth at 2.

4601 - 4620 of 10004 Posts