AVS Forum banner

9721 - 9740 of 9834 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Color should be left at 50 and color temp should be Expert 1 if you care about best accuracy. Cinema Pro would be much less BLUE in the white point than standard mode because of these setting differences. To find the default just use the slider and see where the little line shows up. Thats the default setting for any memory.
well i,m kind of asking, if you were to look at your 940e right now and check what the color value is when you set it to standard. / default your color setting in that mode is it 60 or 50 thats all i want to know because i feel like sony change changed it after an update. i really love standard mode but i think now it looks a bit too saturated and now when i look it says 60 and i dont recall that being the case but i dont want to change anything if that was the true default. would you be able to look into that for me id really appreciate it ?

thanks

Jeremy

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
well i,m kind of asking, if you were to look at your 940e right now and check what the color value is when you set it to standard. / default your color setting in that mode is it 60 or 50 thats all i want to know because i feel like sony change changed it after an update. i really love standard mode but i think now it looks a bit too saturated and now when i look it says 60 and i dont recall that being the case but i dont want to change anything if that was the true default. would you be able to look into that for me id really appreciate it ?

thanks

Jeremy
When you slide the little dot back and forth on the slider there should be a little line that shows up around the dot. thats the default value for the particular setting you're looking at. Mine shows 60 for color is default for standard mode. Standard mode is very blue in the grayscale throwing off the white point which skews everything you see to the blue side. Skin tones for instance will look more pasty and unnaturally pale. Causes more eye strain too. Highly recommend trying the color temp setting of expert 1 for any mode you're using, but if you like your white balance more blue overall, enough said. If you do try it out, it may take a little getting used to so just let it be in expert 1 for a couple days and see how you like going back to the cooler temp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you slide the little dot back and forth on the slider there should be a little line that shows up around the dot. thats the default value for the particular setting you're looking at. Mine shows 60 for color is default for standard mode. Standard mode is very blue in the grayscale throwing off the white point which skews everything you see to the blue side. Skin tones for instance will look more pasty and unnaturally pale. Causes more eye strain too. Highly recommend trying the color temp setting of expert 1 for any mode you're using, but if you like your white balance more blue overall, enough said. If you do try it out, it may take a little getting used to so just let it be in expert 1 for a couple days and see how you like going back to the cooler temp.
thank you very much sir for this information. i have been pounding my head for a month through forums to get this info. you have finally provided me with concrete direct info. have a nice rest of your day or night or morning wherever you are.

·
Registered
15 Posts

thanks

Jeremy
Hey mn do you think the 940e is still better than the 950h?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hey mn do you think the 940e is still better than the 950h?
I am curious as well about the 950h or even the 900h. Thinking of upgrading my 940e, as I want a 85" screen. Worried about how much of a picture hit I would take, though. Would be mostly for 4K content and light gaming in the basement. Have an OLED for my main tv.

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
I am curious as well about the 950h or even the 900h. Thinking of upgrading my 940e, as I want a 85" screen. Worried about how much of a picture hit I would take, though. Would be mostly for 4K content and light gaming in the basement. Have an OLED for my main tv.
You’ll be sacrificing contrast and peak brightness for a little more size. Anything with the x wide angle filter in it really took a beating on contrast even with local dimming. Blacks are just bad with those filters in the TVs. Not a great move by Sony in my opinion and makes it very hard to find a great LCD these days. Vizio P Quantum has all the right specs but no processor to match apparently.

·
Registered
72 Posts
anyone know if streaming content looks better using either a Nivida or apple 4k? The built in apps dobly vision looks too dark, I tried a Roku and it looks even darker. Wonder if paying for a higher end streaming box will make a difference

I like the Idea of Nivida as I like android, wonder if anyone has experience with either or

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
anyone know if streaming content looks better using either a Nivida or apple 4k? The built in apps dobly vision looks too dark, I tried a Roku and it looks even darker. Wonder if paying for a higher end streaming box will make a difference

I like the Idea of Nivida as I like android, wonder if anyone has experience with either or
There shouldn't be too much difference with DV brightness between the devices. I have the Shield TV 2017 and love it. Have been debating going to the Pro 2019 model, but don't really see the need for it just to add Dolby Vision when I can see DV content through the native apps. For reference, I have all my Dolby Vision mode settings left at default except for changing the color temperature from "natural" to Expert 1 which has the closest white point to 6500K. Also, make sure in the motion settings that "clearness" is on minimum. That setting enables black frame insertion and kills brightness. My DV mode ends up looking just as bright as my fully calibrated Cinema Pro mode with HDR10 content playing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You’ll be sacrificing contrast and peak brightness for a little more size. Anything with the x wide angle filter in it really took a beating on contrast even with local dimming. Blacks are just bad with those filters in the TVs. Not a great move by Sony in my opinion and makes it very hard to find a great LCD these days. Vizio P Quantum has all the right specs but no processor to match apparently.
So is the short answer basically, yes. The 940e is still a superior set?

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
So is the short answer basically, yes. The 940e is still a superior set?
IMO, the 940E is better than those H models all day every day. This is for me personally because my top 3 attributes are peak brightness, contrast, and Color in that order.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMO, the 940E is better than those H models all day every day. This is for me personally because my top 3 attributes are peak brightness, contrast, and Color in that order.
Why does it have better colors, is it just a superior panel? Also how would u say it compares to z9d?

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
Why does it have better colors, is it just a superior panel? Also how would u say it compares to z9d?
They are similar in color coverage. I was just stating that I care more about Peak Brightness and Contrast over color for my LCD priorities. Color being similar the peak brightness and contrast with local dimming of the 940E will smash the H models.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are similar in color coverage. I was just stating that I care more about Peak Brightness and Contrast over color for my LCD priorities. Color being similar the peak brightness and contrast with local dimming of the 940E will smash the H models.
Well the color issue is what keeps me from buying an oled. Everytime I look at them it seems like they are missing multiple shades of certain colors. Have you experienced this as well?

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
Well the color issue is what keeps me from buying an oled. Everytime I look at them it seems like they are missing multiple shades of certain colors. Have you experienced this as well?
I have not seen that and from personal experience, a well calibrated OLED is unparalleled for color accuracy in the TV game.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welp, my set just started doing this banding thing......from what I’ve read, am I correct in that there’s no way to fix it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It does that on any of the HDMI Inputs? Noticeable when content on?
Yes, it’s like that regardless of input, as to noticeability, luckily it’s usually not apart from when there’s a particularly bright or dark scene & seems to be evident moreso in video games then movies (it’s been really annoying when playing red dead redemption 2 specifically for whatever reason).
Secondly, I’ve noticed this for some time to a degree, but it’s definitely gotten worse of late.

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
Yes, it’s like that regardless of input, as to noticeability, luckily it’s usually not apart from when there’s a particularly bright or dark scene & seems to be evident moreso in video games then movies (it’s been really annoying when playing red dead redemption 2 specifically for whatever reason).
Secondly, I’ve noticed this for some time to a degree, but it’s definitely gotten worse of late.
Something is going on with the panel or sure. Not sure if its a filter layer or the LED's themselves. Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

9721 - 9740 of 9834 Posts