AVS Forum banner

9741 - 9760 of 9801 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have not seen that and from personal experience, a well calibrated OLED is unparalleled for color accuracy in the TV game.
After doing more research about what I see, I believe the term I meant to use , is color volume. I think oleds lack color volume.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats irrelevant wether others have it. The point is your is broken. You should call sony. Or if your finances permit it. Purchase a new set.

·
Registered
327 Posts
hello everyone I was wondering if anyone seen this before on their Sony x940e 😢
Looks like your backlight is failing. Do you see that come through during content or just on menu/input screens?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like your backlight is failing. Do you see that come through during content or just on menu/input screens?
I can see it on every menu, every screen at any time. I was trying to explain it to Sony and telling them the condition. It looks like you can see a vertical row of 5 white leds, it looks like A zone has failed and has stayed on. They tried telling me it was a settings issue, I laughed and explained that it was clearly a hardware issue. But, they saw otherwise

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I can see it on every menu, every screen at any time. I was trying to explain it to Sony and telling them the condition. It looks like you can see a vertical row of 5 white leds, it looks like A zone has failed and has stayed on. They tried telling me it was a settings issue, I laughed and explained that it was clearly a hardware issue. But, they saw otherwise
If is a settings issue, how come they didn’t tell you how to correct it. Sounds like they are full of it.

Reactions: tysonmax

·
Registered
721 Posts
Evan, have you ever tested the peak brightness on these? I've noticed in some games (Red Dead 2 and AC Odyssey) the HDR setting has you enter the leak brightness and was wondering where these fall. Rtings has it I believe just shy of 1200 but curious as to your findings (if any).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered a brand new LED driver board Worth the $50 test I guess. If that doesn’t work I’ll be taking the whole TV apart to get to different zones

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
hello everyone I was wondering if anyone seen this before on their Sony x940e 😢
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering you boldly went ahead, opened the chassis of your 940E and purchased parts that you think will fix the problem, are we to understand that your one year warranty from Sony has expired and that you did not purchase any additional warranty ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering you boldly went ahead, opened the chassis of your 940E and purchased parts that you think will fix the problem, are we to understand that your one year warranty from Sony has expired and that you did not purchase any additional warranty ?
No I didn’t get additional warranty unfortunately

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
Evan, have you ever tested the peak brightness on these? I've noticed in some games (Red Dead 2 and AC Odyssey) the HDR setting has you enter the leak brightness and was wondering where these fall. Rtings has it I believe just shy of 1200 but curious as to your findings (if any).

Mine measured 10% white window at 1350 nits. My previous one was 1450 nits.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Mine measured 10% white window at 1350 nits. My previous one was 1450 nits.
What would your suggestion be for assigning a peak brightness value? Quite surprised they vary, as Rtings was high 1100s, Vincent Teoh was high 1200s, and you report 1300 and 1400.

Just visually I think I get "pure" white using 1400 based on the test images, but not sure if I'm blowing things out. There's also a "paper white" setting and I have no idea where that should be.

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
What would your suggestion be for assigning a peak brightness value? Quite surprised they vary, as Rtings was high 1100s, Vincent Teoh was high 1200s, and you report 1300 and 1400.

Just visually I think I get "pure" white using 1400 based on the test images, but not sure if I'm blowing things out. There's also a "paper white" setting and I have no idea where that should be.

They actually fluctuate. A brand new set will be dimmer than one that has 1000 hours of use, so it all depends when you're doing your measurements on what particular set. Also a tv thats just been turned on will measure different over one that has been warmed up for an hour. For the X940E the contrast setting should be left at default for HDR. This ensures proper EOTF tracking through the gamma. You shouldn't be blowing anything out if you're in Cinema Pro or custom and leaving the contrast at standard which I believe is 90 for those modes.

9741 - 9760 of 9801 Posts