AVS Forum banner

9761 - 9780 of 9859 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
They actually fluctuate. A brand new set will be dimmer than one that has 1000 hours of use, so it all depends when you're doing your measurements on what particular set. Also a tv thats just been turned on will measure different over one that has been warmed up for an hour. For the X940E the contrast setting should be left at default for HDR. This ensures proper EOTF tracking through the gamma. You shouldn't be blowing anything out if you're in Cinema Pro or custom and leaving the contrast at standard which I believe is 90 for those modes.
For sure, and I get that the TV settings should stay near default for HDR/DV. I was just wondering your thoughts on where to set max luminance in game scenarios where they look for a number.

Do you have any idea what the "paperwhite" value should be? Usually ranges from like 80-200 lumens.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
For sure, and I get that the TV settings should stay near default for HDR/DV. I was just wondering your thoughts on where to set max luminance in game scenarios where they look for a number.

Do you have any idea what the "paperwhite" value should be? Usually ranges from like 80-200 lumens.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Sorry not too familiar there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did this too with my old broken set. Took out every board and put them on Ebay.
I have a 940e with a busted screen and was wondering if it was worth the effort to break it down and list the parts. You mind if i check back in a couple weeks to see if it was worth your trouble?

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
I have a 940e with a busted screen and was wondering if it was worth the effort to break it down and list the parts. You mind if i check back in a couple weeks to see if it was worth your trouble?
May take a long time to sell each board, but could be worth a shot to reclaim a couple hundred bucks, but thats probably all you're going to get out of the effort.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Gamer question:

I have X940E and I can't figure out if it supports new XBOXsX or PS5 at 4k 120hz

Will our TVs support that mode?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Toddler is what happened. Chucked woody at the bottom edge not even that hard from about 2 feet away. Was looking into the 85" Vizio Quantum X since I despise the new wide angle filters in Sony's LCD's because it ruins contrast. Can't stomach the Samsungs or LG LCD's and OLED just doesn't have the brightness. Vizio specs wise seems to be the only play.
I been reading a few pages here

First, I been a avid Sony TV connoisseur starting with Sony 20in Trinitron in 1989 to Sony 55in XBR8 now to Sony X940E

I've seen internal X940E images and have seen repeatedly Samsung SoC on 940E motherboard. Is it you think Sony has outsourced the production for Panel and X1 chip to Samsung or what is the mystery here, any thoughts?

Second, could you also share your Picture settings via DM. Seems like you are ok with Cinema PRO with gamma 0, Clearness Off

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also learning from my XBR8 demise and TCON panel going bad

To preserve the lifespan of my X940E, for daily watching (Xfinity x1 cable) and living room lit, I've turned off all major enhancement features like Local Dimming, Reality 4k, Motion for heat management. Regardless if they were on or off, I've seen no difference in xfinity picture because there is too much light

We do turn lights off when we watch Netflix or Amazon thru the native app. Any tips or settings would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
I been reading a few pages here

First, I been a avid Sony TV connoisseur starting with Sony 20in Trinitron in 1989 to Sony 55in XBR8 now to Sony X940E

I've seen internal X940E images and have seen repeatedly Samsung SoC on 940E motherboard. Is it you think Sony has outsourced the production for Panel and X1 chip to Samsung or what is the mystery here, any thoughts?

Second, could you also share your Picture settings via DM. Seems like you are ok with Cinema PRO with gamma 0, Clearness Off
I use gamma -3 (minimum) for SDR in cinema pro. gets closest to 2.4 gamma which is more pleasing to me in the dark.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Could someone publish how many dimming zone there are in X940E and how it compares to more modern Full Array tvs ie vizio sony samsung ?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
According to many test reports the X940E has 256 dimming zones and its FALD implementation is the only one rated at 8.5 by Rtings together with the Sony Z9D.
AFAIK no other FALD system has received a rating higher than 8.0 by Rtings.

It has also received the highest ratings for movies (9.0) and for HDR movies (8.9) at Rtings, higher than any other LCD set, and that is for a set released three years ago, go figure !

·
Registered
165 Posts
According to many test reports the X940E has 256 dimming zones and its FALD implementation is the only one rated at 8.5 by Rtings together with the Sony Z9D.
AFAIK no other FALD system has received a rating higher than 8.0 by Rtings.

It has also received the highest ratings for movies (9.0) and for HDR movies (8.9) at Rtings, higher than any other LCD set, and that is for a set released three years ago, go figure !
thanks!

But don't Vizio sets have now like 700+ dimming zones or is it PR fluff?

·
Registered
342 Posts
My set notified me that there is a software update. I haven't seen any release notes concerning fixes or changes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My set notified me that there is a software update. I haven't seen any release notes concerning fixes or changes.
the X900F (i.e. ATV2 platform like ours) has gotten an Android Pi update in latin america. this is positive sign that we might get it.

edit: though presumambly this is what you saw https://www.sony-latin.com/en/elect..._x94xxe-series/xbr-75x940e/downloads/00016861 (the non Pi update). but this also came out in latin america for the x900F before the pi update. <fingers crossed>

·
Registered
524 Posts
There actually is an update available... v6.6575

https://www.sony.com/electronics/su..._x94xxe-series/xbr-75x940e/downloads/00016861

About this download
Benefits and Improvements
  • Improves general performance of the TV
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
  • Fixes an issue where the TV will not respond to the remote
  • Fixes an issue where the TV freezes after performing an OS update
  • Resolves an issue where the WiFi® connection fails after updating the TV software to Android™ 8.0 Oreo

·
Registered
524 Posts
So, I'm watching the Bears-Buccs game in 4K on DIRECTV (105) and it appears that there's a slight glow or halo around players during certain shots/views and when they show all of the players on the field.

Anyone else seeing this...? I have my 940e in Sports (Picture mode).

·
Registered
187 Posts
so this is cute (seems to be a "feature" of all Bravias with dolby vision support). If you play a bluray remux (latest makemkv) with dolby vision via plex (latest beta), it plays it in grayscale. It's an interesting experience.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hope Sony will release Android 11 FW upgrade for our Sets. they' upgraded my 65X800D with Android 8 which is 4-5 year old set last month!

·
Registered
187 Posts
not sure android 11 runs on the 4.9 kernel that this update is shipping with, but the question would be, how difficult it would be to forward port the mediatek changes from 4.9 to 4.14 (which I think is the lowest 11 kernel). might also depend if sony has to upgrade the atv2 platform to 11 due to commitments of providing a specific # of major upgrades and since some of the ATV2 platform TV shipped with 8, that might include going to 11. But this is all hand wavey. people on the internet were claiming that pi would never happen, we see that its happening now. so don't take anything I write as anything but per speculation.

9761 - 9780 of 9859 Posts