AVS Forum banner

9781 - 9800 of 9801 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Friend of mine got a new 900h, his tv has an option for dark/bright dobly vision.. does anyone know why 940e does not have that option? Or is it just simply adjusting settings that we are capable of doing

·
Registered
165 Posts
So I've updated my X940E with the new FW and I have to say the UI has sped up a little bit where I experience it. Still on Android 8

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just recently got an XBR-75X940D, but it's not on the list? It's from 2016, but now I'm curious -- where does the 940 fit in and what does the "D" stand for? 3D?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Your X940D is the model before our X940E and according to the FlatpanelsHD article,

"...Sony is rolling out Android 9 (Pie) to its D, E, F, and G generations of Android TVs from second half 2016 to 2019. The new firmware will also add support for 100/120Hz video platback..."

and

"...Android 9 includes mostly bug and performance fixes. There is a new Settings menu and some visual tweaks. In addition, Sony says that the firmware will combine the "Video, Album, and Music apps into the Media Player app" and that it will add "support for HEVC 100/120Hz in USB video playback", although it is not clear which models it will apply to..."

Saw this in another article concerning Sony's nomenclature...

"A reminder: AH/XH/ZH = 2020, AG/XG/ZG = 2019, AF/XF = 2018, A/XE = 2017, XD = 2016, XC = 2015, XB = 2014, XA = 2013."

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just recently got an XBR-75X940D, but it's not on the list? It's from 2016, but now I'm curious -- where does the 940 fit in and what does the "D" stand for? 3D?
The 940D is based on the ATV, not ATV2 platform. Its not part of this upgrade to pi. it just got upgraded to Oreo. Only devices that have had oreo for a long time are part of this upgrade to Pi. Will it get Pi in the future? who knows, but this story isn't about it.

to summerize, the A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H suffix corresponds to the year the TV came out, but not the platform the TV runs on. There are D year TVs that are on ATV2, but many, like yours, that are on the original ATV platform. And there are G TVs that were still produced with ATV2 which is what pissed those owners off, as they found out that it seemed they were buying a dead end platform. though they were apparently mistaken and led astray by internet commentators :)

·
Registered
967 Posts
The 940D is based on the ATV, not ATV2 platform. Its not part of this upgrade to pi. it just got upgraded to Oreo. Only devices that have had oreo for a long time are part of this upgrade to Pi. Will it get Pi in the future? who knows, but this story isn't about it.

to summerize, the A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H suffix corresponds to the year the TV came out, but not the platform the TV runs on. There are D year TVs that are on ATV2, but many, like yours, that are on the original ATV platform. And there are G TVs that were still produced with ATV2 which is what pissed those owners off, as they found out that it seemed they were buying a dead end platform. though they were apparently mistaken and led astray by internet commentators :)
What is ATV and ATV2?

·
Registered
321 Posts

Thanks. I just bought the TV from a friend a month ago. First Sony product and have been trying to decipher the model naming convention. I get the 8 or 9 line, but where does the 40 or 50 figure in? Ie, an 840x vs. If you 850x?

I can live with its ATV bc it does have hbomax. Otherwise, I'd just plug in a CCGTV like I did for my 2016 LG UH, although that TV can't pass DD+ out via Arc so in red to upgrade its soundbar to one that passes 4K/HDR through. Hopefully, not a limitation of my 940D too. Can't tell bc 940D connected to 2007 Onkyo receiver via optical, which doesn't support DD+ I believe due to bandwidth limitations.

·
Registered
721 Posts
So getting a bit of upgrade-itis, and would shift the 940E to replace an old plasma, and buy a new 85" for my main viewing and gaming.

Does anyone have any pros/cons among the Z9G/Z8H/950H?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
So getting a bit of upgrade-itis, and would shift the 940E to replace an old plasma, and buy a new 85" for my main viewing and gaming.

In same boat, 940e looks great but I did see a friends 900h and I think its HDR processing looks better, blooming is a lot worse though and the motion handling was similar (my 900e handles motion better than 900h and 940e). .. was thinking the comparable set would be 950h

·
Registered
143 Posts
So lucky enough that I got pre-order for both ps5 and xbox series x. Was curious would our tvs be able to do 4k 120htz for the new systems or would I need a tv that has hdmi ,2.1

·
Registered
184 Posts
What is ATV and ATV2?
short version: "the computer chip" inside the TV. different generation of computer chip platform.

Thanks. I just bought the TV from a friend a month ago. First Sony product and have been trying to decipher the model naming convention. I get the 8 or 9 line, but where does the 40 or 50 figure in? Ie, an 840x vs. If you 850x?

I can live with its ATV bc it does have hbomax. Otherwise, I'd just plug in a CCGTV like I did for my 2016 LG UH, although that TV can't pass DD+ out via Arc so in red to upgrade its soundbar to one that passes 4K/HDR through. Hopefully, not a limitation of my 940D too. Can't tell bc 940D connected to 2007 Onkyo receiver via optical, which doesn't support DD+ I believe due to bandwidth limitations.
the 3 digit number is the main model number, generally higher is better in sony nomeclature. (though some people might prefer the latest 900h over the 950h)

So lucky enough that I got pre-order for both ps5 and xbox series x. Was curious would our tvs be able to do 4k 120htz for the new systems or would I need a tv that has hdmi ,2.1

no. you will need a new TV. for 4k/120hz, but in practice I have my doubts you would notice a 4k/60hz limitation on games. VRR might be more valuable, but even then I wonder. But I'm not a huge gamer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Can anybody help me understand why my 75” 940e has image retention? I had thought that was just an oled/plasma thing.
We play a lot of fallout 76, and the images for the power armor gauges etc... are always there, and anytime the screen is a little dark you see them.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Can anybody help me understand why my 75” 940e has image retention? I had thought that was just an oled/plasma thing.
We play a lot of fallout 76, and the images for the power armor gauges etc... are always there, and anytime the screen is a little dark you see them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rtings.com was the only publication that mentioned the fact the 940E exhibit a minimum amount of image retention.
Personally I never noticed it on my set but then I do not play games; However, I do watch a lot of CNN and MSNBC which have all those near permanent logos onscreen and yet i never noticed any image retention afterwards.

Perhaps you should consider downloading the app called JScreenFix which flashes all individual pixels sequentially with R|G/B colors at extremely fast speed while at the same time opening and closing all those pixels of an LCD panel and is highly recommended to fix image retention.
That way you could use the app every time at the end of your gaming sessions since a couple of minutes or less is all you need to "flex" all those pixels.

Reactions: Jim Kiler

·
Registered
53 Posts

I went from a 940E to a 85" Z8H.

I initially went to a Q900TS and it was a downgrade compared to the 940E.

The Z8H is a meaningful upgrade. Color and overall picture is similar in character to the 940E - just better. Black levels are excellent. Brightness is exceptional.

Build quality is very good on the Z8H. The 950H build is not quite as nice as the 940E, IMO.

Downsides...It's expensive. It's heavy. It probably uses a lot of electricity.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I went from a 940E to a 85" Z8H.

I initially went to a Q900TS and it was a downgrade compared to the 940E.

The Z8H is a meaningful upgrade. Color and overall picture is similar in character to the 940E - just better. Black levels are excellent. Brightness is exceptional.

Build quality is very good on the Z8H. The 950H build is not quite as nice as the 940E, IMO.

Downsides...It's expensive. It's heavy. It probably uses a lot of electricity.
Cool, thanks for the impressions. Not to derail the thread, but have you noticed more blooming than the 940E at 85"? I've only seen it on bars and edge lights (torches, etc), more obvious in HDR. Have read it may be worse on the Z8H.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cool, thanks for the impressions. Not to detail the thread, but have you noticed more blooming than the 940E at 85"? I've only seen it on bars and edge lights (torches, etc), more obvious in HDR. Have read it may be worse on the Z8H.

No I have not. I don't run analytical tests. Real world experience, I haven't seen anything offensive and nothing worse than what I saw in the 940E.

The z8H is the real successor to the 940E - though it's not quite in the same niche. It's a little more upmarket. The remote is a lot better, the body is a little more posh, the built in sound is WAY better. In terms of image - the 940E was top tier and so is the Z8H. IMO, it's the best 85" TV on the market.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I got the Spears and Munsil calibration disc to compare against the Disney Wow disc. One of the first steps is to select Full pixel or 1:1 mode and that section is greyed out on the TV menu. The only input where I can change it, is on the coax input. All other inputs, it says not available. i have changed modes, settings and anything i can think to to open up those options and have had no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

9781 - 9800 of 9801 Posts