AVS Forum banner

9801 - 9820 of 9873 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Anyone know what the latest update improves?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Does anyone notice any new blooming into the black bars in DV/Hdr content after this latest update? I sure do....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does anyone notice any new blooming into the black bars in DV/Hdr content after this latest update? I sure do....
I have noticed that there is s flicker during dark scenes with s bright object... not sure if this is what you are referring to. It only does it with the built in app

·
Registered
348 Posts
when a bright object is spilling over into the black bar.. This did not happen before this update,, I tested the same content from netflix right before the update,, I encourage everyone to NOT update..

·
Registered
726 Posts
when a bright object is spilling over into the black bar.. This did not happen before this update,, I tested the same content from netflix right before the update,, I encourage everyone to NOT update..
I've always had mild blooming on extreme examples (say a torch or street light near the bars) but haven't noticed any added blooming or highlights since I updated. I think it's just an issue with local dimming.

You could change local dimming to or from high down to medium and see what happens.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've always had mild blooming on extreme examples (say a torch or street light near the bars) but haven't noticed any added blooming or highlights since I updated. I think it's just an issue with local dimming.

You could change local dimming to or from high down to medium and see what happens.

I did a factory reset and think its back to normal, thankfully..

·
Registered
726 Posts
Been binging Community and Louie recently (along with random other stuff) and tweaking a bit. Always liked the idea of XDR on Low for a fake HDR look and finally found something that works...gives everything that extra pop without blowing out highlights and details. Check it out if bored. Use with low light or dark viewing.

Brightness 20 (because of Clearness setting)
Contrast 92
Gamma -2 (the key to tame blowouts, usually use -1)
XDR Low

Smoothness 1
Clearness 1

The rest are up to you and I have a purist/calibrated mindset so no other picture enhancers are on. As a base used mfish settings here, similar setup to Evan's here and 10k in the Z9D thread.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sony firmware update V6.7140 is now available. This is the Android 9 "Pie" update.

About this download
Benefits and Improvements
  • Combines the Video, Album, and Musicapps into the Media Playerapp
    Note:After the update, the Appmenu will display the Musicand Media Playerapps only, but will contain all the content from the Video, Album, and Musicapps.
  • Adds support for HEVC 100/120Hz in USB video playback
  • Removes the WPSfunction
  • Adds support for the Android™ 9.0 Pie Settingmenu tree
  • Redesigns the Settingmenu
  • Improves general performance of the TV
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
  • Fixes an issue where the TV will not respond to the remote
  • Fixes an issue where the TV freezes after performing an OS update
  • Resolves an issue where the WiFi® connection fails after updating the TV software to Android™ 8.0 Oreo

·
Registered
363 Posts
Arrrrg, I subscribed to this thread before realizing I actually had the predecessor XBR-X940D. Not on the list but any chance the 2016 D model might get or am I stuck on Android 8? Frustrating, plus I think your E's also have Dolby Vision?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Arrrrg, I subscribed to this thread before realizing I actually had the predecessor XBR-X940D. Not on the list but any chance the 2016 D model might get or am I stuck on Android 8? Frustrating, plus I think your E's also have Dolby Vision?
Stephen, Yes, we've had Dolby Vision for quite a while now. Maybe 2 years ago, depending upon when the firmware update became available.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sony firmware update V6.7140 is now available. This is the Android 9 "Pie" update.
Thanks for brining awareness on this update. My TV hasn't 'auto-received' it yet, but I suppose I can manually update it via the USB method.

Question: are there any benefits in updating the TV firmware to version 6.7140? If anyone has already upgraded, can you please chime in? Personally, I'm primarily interested in increasing HDMI picture quality...not necessarily menu shuffles and USB video upgrades.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for brining awareness on this update. My TV hasn't 'auto-received' it yet, but I suppose I can manually update it via the USB method.

Question: are there any benefits in updating the TV firmware to version 6.7140? If anyone has already upgraded, can you please chime in? Personally, I'm primarily interested in increasing HDMI picture quality...not necessarily menu shuffles and USB video upgrades.
After resetting, updating, and resetting again, seems okay so far. Other than staying up to date, maybe getting...
is worth the update. As it's not like we're gonna get IMAX Enhanced mode or the TV app anytime soon...

·
Registered
187 Posts
probably just more up to date with android security patches (Which in practice for any internet connected device is a good a thing). Honestly, I see no fundamental difference besides the settings menu changes.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah, I appreciate the input @thetoad and @R8ders2K

Not rushing into this for the moment; I'm using the ATV4k for streaming duties, and the Wi-Fi is generally turned off, so I'll wait for the auto-update to kick in.

Goes without saying, I'm soo happy with this TV's performance and reliability. Certainly, adding the 940E to my HT has been a fantastic addition.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm soo happy with this TV's performance and reliability. Certainly, adding the 940E to my HT has been a fantastic addition.
Couldn’t agree more. Definitely an excellent purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
After resetting, updating, and resetting again, seems okay so far. Other than staying up to date, maybe getting...
is worth the update. As it's not like we're gonna get IMAX Enhanced mode or the TV app anytime soon...
my Z9F has IMAX enhanced mode, but it is dead on arrival. I don't see any benefit to it.

Also there are reported on the 930e discussion that this breaks the handshake with apple TV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bug: Turn off the “Apple TV”, the TV will turn off, but immediately turn it on again
You can only turn off the TV first, and the apple tv will turn off automatically
Hope sony can fix this problem

9801 - 9820 of 9873 Posts