AVS Forum banner

5441 - 5460 of 6484 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
I know that Rtings and others recommend the "Movie" picture mode but I have not been able to tweak this mode to my liking. In "Movie" I see a white sheen over the picture that creates a dulling effect; kind of like the soap opera effect I guess.
I like the "Normal" mode so far. It makes the colors pop so you have to be careful with saturation. Anyone else agree??
I started using the Rtings settings back in September and then did a generic calibration with a Spears & Munsil Benchmark disc. Now I am back to using Rtings but with the tweaks mentioned in their Youtube video from the other day. The calibration I did used Normal instead of Movie and it looked really nice.

Since moving back to the Rtings settings with the new video tweaks (2.0 Gamma), I think it looks just as good. I haven't been able to watch much so my final vote isn't in yet.

A nice black level check is to watch the end credits of the movie Trolls on Netflix (I have kids). The black bars disappear and with the color pop of the different trolls, it's pretty fantastic. It's the best streaming non hdr bit of video I've seen yet on this tv.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started using the Rtings settings back in September and then did a generic calibration with a Spears & Munsil Benchmark disc. Now I am back to using Rtings but with the tweaks mentioned in their Youtube video from the other day. The calibration I did used Normal instead of Movie and it looked really nice.

Since moving back to the Rtings settings with the new video tweaks (2.0 Gamma), I think it looks just as good. I haven't been able to watch much so my final vote isn't in yet.

A nice black level check is to watch the end credits of the movie Trolls on Netflix (I have kids). The black bars disappear and with the color pop of the different trolls, it's pretty fantastic. It's the best streaming non hdr bit of video I've seen yet on this tv.
The recent Rtings video threw me off a bit as I just changed my gamma setting to 2.4. I think I'll leave it this way for a week or two and see how the black levels perform. I was hoping for deeper blacks but not if they're going to end up crushed.

Also, do you feel like HDR "pops" more at 2.0?

·
Registered
973 Posts
The recent Rtings video threw me off a bit as I just changed my gamma setting to 2.4. I think I'll leave it this way for a week or two and see how the black levels perform. I was hoping for deeper blacks but not if they're going to end up crushed.

I've only watched about 10 minutes of HDR clips on Youtube with the new settings so I'm not totally sure yet but first impressions are positive. That clip with the black pencils with the colored tips looks amazing!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Switching from 2.2 to 2.0 makes small bright highlights more intense. At least it's made a difference in HDR video games.
I started off at 2.4 in Oct but I'm sticking w/ 2.0 gamma for now.
However when watching SDR I set TV brightness to Darker since I have a light controlled room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have found gamma at 2.0 to be the most pleasing without crushing blacks.

I also use Movie mode but I bumped color up to 48. I've never seen anyone recommend that before but it helped make the colors pop a bit better (especially on DV content).

·
Registered
18 Posts
55P607 vs 55P6US

I have been searching for p6 series in Qatar past two weeks.

I came accross 55p6us which is claimed as new 2018 series. No roku tv here, its just promoted as Android tv.
Also when checking in menu in support section the software gives a different model(Chasis) number MS6586.

Questions;
1. Can anyone help me to clarify whats difference between p6us and p607 or they both are same.
2. Is it normal to have different model number mentioned physically on TV as compared to in software menu.
3. Any reviews on 65p6us would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance for the help :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
55P607 vs 55P6US

I came accross 55p6us which is claimed as new 2018 series. No roku tv here, its just promoted as Android tv.
Also when checking in menu in support section the software gives a different model(Chasis) number MS6586.

Questions;
1. Can anyone help me to clarify whats difference between p6us and p607 or they both are same.
2. Is it normal to have different model number mentioned physically on TV as compared to in software menu.

The 55p6us is not the new 2018 series. Doing a simple search that id comes back to sets sold in Thailand and Georgia (the country). Some of the website listings are dated before CES, when the 2018 sets were first introduced.

All of the tech specs say "Android Smart TV" and no mention of Roku. They also note "HDR Pro" but no mention of Dolby Vision.

I can't find any reviews but the lack of Roku or DV would turn me off.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I am also really diggin’ the new Rtings settings provided in the previously posted video. :cool: FYI I have also used the original settings from Rtings, CNET, and my own adjustments. I’m on the latest firmware and find these settings very pleasing for OTA, streaming, and 4K UHD HDR10/DV. Definitely worth a try in my opinion.

·
Registered
232 Posts
55P607 vs 55P6US

Questions;

They are not the same. TCL makes very different TVs for different countries and usually each country has very different tech. See the TCL global website for more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Watched a couple episodes of the new netflix show Altered Carbon in DV last night. In a completely dark room it was fantastic . This show is a must watch to really see the benefits of DV or HDR in general

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am also really diggin’ the new Rtings settings provided in the previously posted video. :cool: FYI I have also used the original settings from Rtings, CNET, and my own adjustments. I’m on the latest firmware and find these settings very pleasing for OTA, streaming, and 4K UHD HDR10/DV. Definitely worth a try in my opinion.

100% agree, I set mine up from scratch last night with the new settings and I’m loving it so far. Watched some 4K HDR stuff and played a new HDR games as well as some 1080p non hdr movies and it all looked great !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question. I now have two of the 55P605 series and both of them can not connect to the internet connected via ethernet. I can unplug the cable and plug it into the Xbox One or PS4 Pro and both of the consoles can use the ethernet cable just fine. I've tried a couple of other cables lying around but no go for ethernet. The wireless options work just fine; however, I would prefer to have them hardwired if I could. Might I be missing something? I will probably break down and utilize tech support on Monday as I've been playing with them for the last week or two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quick question. I now have two of the 55P605 series and both of them can not connect to the internet connected via ethernet. I can unplug the cable and plug it into the Xbox One or PS4 Pro and both of the consoles can use the ethernet cable just fine. I've tried a couple of other cables lying around but no go for ethernet. The wireless options work just fine; however, I would prefer to have them hardwired if I could. Might I be missing something? I will probably break down and utilize tech support on Monday as I've been playing with them for the last week or two.
It sounds to me like both TV's need to be set up for a wired connection. Go to: Home> Settings> Network> Set Up Connection> select 'Wired'.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does anybody ever notice an issue in the Netflix app where there are random changes in brightness? It happens like half the time I move to a new title. It's a really noticable pop in brightness. It's not really an issue, since it's only in the menu. I'm just wondering what it is.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
So are the settings in this new video and link different from the original rtings settings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes.

5441 - 5460 of 6484 Posts