AVS Forum banner

5681 - 5700 of 6486 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
a good FALD test, install PLEX and then let it activate its screen saver. As the logo bounces around the screen it will keep clipping dark zones.

Also don't get local and dynamic contrast mixed up. Dynamic is the bad one, you want it off.

Other then that, alot of moons and suns need to align for you to get a TV where everything works accept FALD.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i tried it and apparently my FALD is not working...anyway to trouble shoot this? i can see 4 bright lights coming from each corner of tv...thanks for your help

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am referring to content not the home screen I am saying if I am watching content and pause it at the home screen you can tell it's not working
what does this actually mean? try watching something that has a full black screen. like an opening title screen or something.

·
Registered
169 Posts
A local repairman told me recently that he really likes the TCL brand because they manufacture all the parts that go into their TVs. This makes parts easier to get, and their TVs more reliable.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
what does this actually mean? try watching something that has a full black screen. like an opening title screen or something.
yes thats what i meant sorry for the confusion...there is no difference when i turn the contrast zones to low medium or high or off...so its def not working...really bad quality control this is like the 3rd tv the first one had dark spots behind the screen 2nd had dead pixels now this one is all good but the FALD appears to be not working or this TV has really bad backlight bleed where its so bad i can't tell the zones are working..should i try a reset?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Update on my banding issue with HDR10 content...

It was not the Apple TV! Finally got the bright idea to download the Amazon Prime app to my Xbox One X and saw the same banding issue on HDR10 content.

That means it was the TV so, I focused on my TCL. I tried resetting the Video/Audio settings to factory but, that didn't help. The banding was not present on any of the Roku apps downloaded to the TV itself so, what is different with the TV apps vs ATV/Xbox. Well, HDMI but, DV works fine so, I didn't think it was a cable issue. Then it dawned on me... PC mode.

Remembering this from the rtings review:

The TV only shows 4:4:4 color properly when in 'PC mode'. For most sources this is accomplished by changing the input's icon to 'Computer'.
I did this weeks ago because I thought, hey, I want 4:4:4 to display properly. Well, that's another difference between the built in apps and HDMI sources, built in apps aren't being forced into PC mode. I went and change the input name/icon coming from my Denon to anything other than "Computer". Instantly, the banding disappeared! Switched the input name back and forth 3 or 4 times and banding appeared every time it was set to "Computer", disappeared when set to anything else.

So, setting to "Computer" may very well correct something with 4:4:4 like rtings says but, seems to create an issue with banding in HDR10 content. I'm just glad I found what was causing it and, that it was an easy solution.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, setting to "Computer" may very well correct something with 4:4:4 like rtings says but, seems to create an issue with banding in HDR10 content. I'm just glad I found what was causing it and, that it was an easy solution.
To confirm, in your Apple TV 4K menu, the display format is set to 4K Dolby Vision @ 60Hz the whole time? (Do you have Match Dynamic Range or Match Frame Rate turned on, just curious?)

But in your TCL TV menu, toggling the HDMI input label from "Computer" to something else fixes banding when the ATV is playing HDR10 content? Just curious, what happens when you set the input to a custom text label, but still choose the graphic icon that looks like a computer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Had the 55P605 for a while now, and just started really messing with it. One thing I have noticed is that with Local Contrast enabled, the entire screen seems dimmed, not just the dark regions. I notice that even bright areas on the screen are noticeably dimmed. Is this normal behavior?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also, with all the talk of Apple TV 4K performance on a TCL Roku TV, what are people's experience using a Fire TV 4K on the same TCL set?

In the Fire TV menu, do you set Color Depth up to 12 bits (vs 10 or 8 bits)? Color Format to RGB (vs YCbCr)?

Any visual difference between the color depth settings when playing various content on the FTV?

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I know I've posted pictures of my set before, but the DSE while playing Shadow of the Colossus is driving me bananas. This is my 2nd set. Best I can expect from this TV? Panning over any medium gray scenes is really distracting.

Also, this is a pure white image.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all,

Had the 55P605 for a while now, and just started really messing with it. One thing I have noticed is that with Local Contrast enabled, the entire screen seems dimmed, not just the dark regions. I notice that even bright areas on the screen are noticeably dimmed. Is this normal behavior?
This is normal. FALD is NOT just turning LEDs down in black areas, it is balancing the light gradients so that when an area of the screen is intended to be really bright, it appears really bright compared to the rest of the screen. Lines of light, like text and subtitles on a black background will still appear dim because the percentage of the "zone" is still mostly black.

So I know I've posted pictures of my set before, but the DSE while playing Shadow of the Colossus is driving me bananas. This is my 2nd set. Best I can expect from this TV? Panning over any medium gray scenes is really distracting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-UX0SXDuuE

Also, this is a pure white image.
Saddly yes... one of the few drawbacks of the TV is its light spreader is pretty flawed, and to make things worse is it takes a hit in viewing angles which causes even more changes in the strength of the light as your eyes scan the screen. You can find another TV that has a better more even light spreader, but you will miss out on 10 bit color and FAlD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Enjoy this TV

Overall I really have enjoyed the TV. I think it a very affordable TV that provides very good features.

Somehow I have misplaced my tv stand/legs... anyone want to let a set go? Paypal ready lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello do the new rtings settings contrast 95, gamma 2.0 apply to hdr or are those only for sdr?
I didn't realize that rtings has new/revised calibration for this TV? How did you find this out?

I'm one of the few people, I believe on here, that isn't a big fan of the "movie" setting, as I seem to prefer the picture on the "normal" or the low power mode. I wish I could take a poll and see just how much I am in the minority with this setting :).

·
Registered
230 Posts
I didn't realize that rtings has new/revised calibration for this TV? How did you find this out?

I'm one of the few people, I believe on here, that isn't a big fan of the "movie" setting, as I seem to prefer the picture on the "normal" or the low power mode. I wish I could take a poll and see just how much I am in the minority with this setting :).

The new setting is MUCH better. It’s in the video only. (Different contrast and gamma, I think one other setting is different but I can’t recall what it is off hand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
The new setting is MUCH better. It’s in the video only. (Different contrast and gamma, I think one other setting is different but I can’t recall what it is off hand)

I believe it’s something like Backlight goes from 20 to 4 due to the brighter 2.0 gamma.
HDR does pop a little more.

5681 - 5700 of 6486 Posts