AVS Forum banner

5701 - 5720 of 6484 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
No, you shouldn't mess with the backlight or Contrast when in HDR mode. The mode automatically changes it to 100 so it can work its HDR magic.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I didn't realize that rtings has new/revised calibration for this TV? How did you find this out?

I'm one of the few people, I believe on here, that isn't a big fan of the "movie" setting, as I seem to prefer the picture on the "normal" or the low power mode. I wish I could take a poll and see just how much I am in the minority with this setting :).
I agree with you. MOVIE mode just puts too much of a yellow haze over content that I can not adjust to. I find NORMAL mode with Color Temp of WARM is most pleasing for my viewing.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
No, you shouldn't mess with the backlight or Contrast when in HDR mode. The mode automatically changes it to 100 so it can work its HDR magic.
I don't touch anything in Backlight or Contrast in HDR or DV mode, but if you do find content at times too dark and losing detail in these modes an adjustment of Gamma from default of 2.2 to 2.0 does make a difference. Just have to try it out and determine if it works for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't touch anything in Backlight or Contrast in HDR or DV mode, but if you do find content at times too dark and losing detail in these modes an adjustment of Gamma from default of 2.2 to 2.0 does make a difference. Just have to try it out and determine if it works for you.
I understand that I just didn't understand the whole gamma 2.0 thing with the new rtings settings. Was he using it only for sdr?

·
Registered
238 Posts
So glad these threads exist. Just bought a 55P605 and using the Rtings settings I felt the picture just wasn't popping like my Samsung 55KU6300. But I am going to try reducing the gamma and contrast in the updated settings tonight.

Anyone use the Netflix app on their Xbox One S on this TV? The menu is completely washed out once it engages the HDR. I tried playing with the settings, but everything is what it should be. The content seems fine though, just thought it was odd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The new setting is MUCH better. It’s in the video only. (Different contrast and gamma, I think one other setting is different but I can’t recall what it is off hand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where is this new video with the full new calibration settings? I don't see it on rtings and went back several pages in this thread.

Disregard, found it here if anyone else is curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=buSiu_l6tFw

Summary for SDR:
Backlight: 4
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45

Roku App Adv Settings: Gamma 2.0
11 pt White: Set to Auto unless professionally calibrated

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad these threads exist. Just bought a 55P605 and using the Rtings settings I felt the picture just wasn't popping like my Samsung 55KU6300. But I am going to try reducing the gamma and contrast in the updated settings tonight.

Anyone use the Netflix app on their Xbox One S on this TV? The menu is completely washed out once it engages the HDR. I tried playing with the settings, but everything is what it should be. The content seems fine though, just thought it was odd.
I, personally, have not had that issue with Netflix, but have with my Xbox one X, usually it will correct itself if I use the controller Xbox button to return to the home menu, the colors should switch back to sdr, then return to the hdr content and it should switch back to the appropriate hdr mode. I then press the Xbox button again to check the colors in the pop up menu, if the pop up menu is washed out, I try again, but if the colors appear properly saturated, it's working as it should. On rare occasion I'll have to perform a hard reset on the Xbox to make it work. I once even had to reinstall the blu ray app for the Xbox. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I understand that I just didn't understand the whole gamma 2.0 thing with the new rtings settings. Was he using it only for sdr?
I'm pretty sure he uses gamma 2.0 for all modes.

·
Registered
134 Posts

My guess is that although HDR is initiated on your TV, the menus aren't color graded for HDR, so they look washed out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
New settings are much more natural. Past some very minor clouding in the top corners of the set, this TV's picture is just perfection. Roku works much better than Samsung's Tizen, no more locking up and having to reset the TV. I just wish the stand were a little more sturdy. gonna have to find a way to anchor it so my kids don't knock it over.

My guess is that although HDR is initiated on your TV, the menus aren't color graded for HDR, so they look washed out.
That sounds logical.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
New settings are much more natural. Past some very minor clouding in the top corners of the set, this TV's picture is just perfection. Roku works much better than Samsung's Tizen, no more locking up and having to reset the TV. I just wish the stand were a little more sturdy. gonna have to find a way to anchor it so my kids don't knock it over.

That sounds logical.
Maybe something like this.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The 55P607 was first available from Amazon on May 19, 2017. I don't recall if it was available elsewhere earlier.
Any idea when BestBuy's model hit? I am hoping if it is early enough I may be able to exchange.

Maybe something like this.
Tht's not a bad idea. Amazon has a whole bunch for around $20. Thank's for the tip.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Any idea when BestBuy's model hit? I am hoping if it is early enough I may be able to exchange.
It was available at Best Buy at roughly the same time as Amazon. I bought one from Amazon on May 25th, 2017, but it had major screen flaws and I returned it. I then bought one from Best Buy on May 28th.

I would think that unless a retailer has been promised an exclusive sales period that they should be available almost everywhere at the same time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anyone else noticing that when first powering on the TV sometimes the FALD doesn't start working until you turn it off and turn it back on again? It's pretty annoying

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone like using the “Zoom” picture size during movies with black bars? I just started doing it and it’s actually quite enjoyable. Part of the image is cut on the edges but it doesn’t seem to make a huge loss on the overall image.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Does anyone like using the “Zoom” picture size during movies with black bars? I just started doing it and it’s actually quite enjoyable. Part of the image is cut on the edges but it doesn’t seem to make a huge loss on the overall image.

No. Just you. Personally, I like seeing the entire image and have absolutely no qualms about the black bars. They're there for a reason.

·
Registered
230 Posts
No. Just you. Personally, I like seeing the entire image and have absolutely no qualms about the black bars. They're there for a reason.

While I agree with the first half of your statement, the second part not so much.

They are there because they film in a wider aspect ratio. That is not for a reason IMO it’s strictly because folks can’t get together and agree on one standard.

I dream of a day when I can actually watch all of my movies in full screen again :).

IMO they should just always film in 16:9 and make it the standard all around.

I can’t sacrifice missing part of the picture but I would love to have a bigger picture on my screen like when watching natural 16:9 content, rather than the picture only using 2/3 of the screen (and less).

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
While I agree with the first half of your statement, the second part not so much.

They are there because they film in a wider aspect ratio. That is not for a reason IMO it’s strictly because folks can’t get together and agree on one standard.

I dream of a day when I can actually watch all of my movies in full screen again :).

IMO they should just always film in 16:9 and make it the standard all around.

I can’t sacrifice missing part of the picture but I would love to have a bigger picture on my screen like when watching natural 16:9 content, rather than the picture only using 2/3 of the screen (and less).

You need a constant height scope ratio projection screen and projector with zoom memory or even auto scope recognition. Then, you will see movies as they were meant to be seen as in the CinemaScope days of yore.

There is no one ratio "standard" because different movies have different visual aesthetics. Not all painting canvases are the same ratio either.

Cinematographers don't just adhere to the current ratio of a TV and make them all 16x9 because that's how the current HD and UHD displays are sized. They want to not make movies look like a TV show.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any updates on the xbox one x screen flickering issue?

When i turn the tv and xbox on for the first time in the morning the screen starts flickering and making a loud screech then gooes black and comes back on and flickers again.. To get this to stop i have to go into my xb1 settings, disable hdr, disable 422 and sometimes that works, other times i have to set it to 10Bit or 12Bit and then back to 8bit with hdr and 422 on for it to stop the flickering.. A few times ive had to do a full tv restart for it to stop. Its not flickering on the home screen so its hdmi or console..

I do have a 15 foot hdmi run but the cable was rated for 18gbps( amazon basic 2.0 hdmi) so it *SHOULD* be good enough..

Ive seen a few people have this issue on reddit, but again it could be a console or hdmi issue..

5701 - 5720 of 6484 Posts