AVS Forum banner

6441 - 6460 of 6484 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I am purchasing a new Sonos Arc that is capable of Dolby Atmos. Will the ARC HDMI support Dolby Atmos over DD+ on this 2017 P605 TV?

The Verge review of the soundbar said it specifically texted this TCL Model of "a couple years ago" and they stated they could only get DD+ and not Atmos. My guess is that they tested it on this specific year and model since its very popular.

When I've perused this forum, it looks like people have been getting Atmos so I'm confused. Any advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Hi,

I am purchasing a new Sonos Arc that is capable of Dolby Atmos. Will the ARC HDMI support Dolby Atmos over DD+ on this 2017 P605 TV?

The Verge review of the soundbar said it specifically texted this TCL Model of "a couple years ago" and they stated they could only get DD+ and not Atmos. My guess is that they tested it on this specific year and model since its very popular.

When I've perused this forum, it looks like people have been getting Atmos so I'm confused. Any advice would be welcome.
It supports ATMOS via a DD+ container. Only certain apps support ATMOS as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

It supports ATMOS via a DD+ container. Only certain apps support ATMOS as well.
Sorry - what do you mean by a DD+ container?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are two main types of ATMOS. Lossy ATMOS wrapped in a DD+ container, which streaming services provide. Lossless ATMOS is on UHD and Bluray discs, in a TrueHD stream.[/QUOTE]

I guess my worry is why did the Verge report that the HDMI wasn't passing Atmos via DD+ with the Sonos Arc connected. What am I missing?

I'd have Arc connected to TV via HDMI and Apple TV 4k connected to other HDMI. Theoretically I should get Atmos via DD+ with this year and model TV right?

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
There are two main types of ATMOS. Lossy ATMOS wrapped in a DD+ container, which streaming services provide. Lossless ATMOS is on UHD and Bluray discs, in a TrueHD stream.

I guess my worry is why did the Verge report that the HDMI wasn't passing Atmos via DD+ with the Sonos Arc connected. What am I missing?

I'd have Arc connected to TV via HDMI and Apple TV 4k connected to other HDMI. Theoretically I should get Atmos via DD+ with this year and model TV right?

If you haven't purchased the sound bar yet, run far away! If you truly want Dolby Atmos and DTS: X immersive audio, sound bars are not the answer. Get a receiver, get some real speakers (they don't have to be huge), one or more real subs, and place them in physical locations where Dolby Labs recommends them (there are also alternative overhead locations if you absolutely have no way of adding speakers in or on the ceiling). The total package may cost a bit more than a sound bar, but you can always save up and build up over time. In the end, you will have a superior home theater system and you will be much happier.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
There are two main types of ATMOS. Lossy ATMOS wrapped in a DD+ container, which streaming services provide. Lossless ATMOS is on UHD and Bluray discs, in a TrueHD stream.

I'd have Arc connected to TV via HDMI and Apple TV 4k connected to other HDMI. Theoretically I should get Atmos via DD+ with this year and model TV right?[/QUOTE]

The reviewer is incorrect, it does pass DD+ ATMOS but only from supported apps onboard the TCL.

If you connect the ATV4K to the soundbar, you'll get DD+ ATMOS as well but that would have nothing to do with the TCL.

·
Registered
918 Posts
well without going into any secret menu or telling the tv I have a soundbar or something wild that I've heard other people did to get it early over the last two weeks, :p my tv said it had an OS update from 9.2.0.4504 to 9.3.0.4175, so, I updated my set to it. so far, everything appears to be ok thus far.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid Roku and forced firmware updates strikes again. I swear, Roku is the worst experience I have ever had with firmware updates, every other update screws something up and it takes months for them to fix it. I'm trying to convince the wife to let me buy a new TV because I'm stick and tired of Roku. I'll never buy another Roku device until they allow users to turn off auto updates. I love the image quality of the TCL, just hate the Roku software.

My TV was forced to 9.3.0.4182 this morning and it has screw up the image and color settings. Every time I turn the TV on or switch inputs, the color settings reset to default, even though the TV menus and expert menu in the app say it is on the settings I configured. In fact, you can't even change the settings, they have no effect on the TV until I restart the TV from the Power menu. Then everything is back to normal and they way I had it set until... I change TV inputs or turn the TV off and back on. I'm so tired of restarting my TV today that I don't even want to use it anymore. Thanks Roku, for ruining my viewing experience. If they ever get around to fixing this, I guess I'll have to use my router to block all internet traffic to Roku services to prevent future updates.

Sorry for this post, I just need to vent. This is something like the 4 firmware update that has messed up the image quality somehow since I have owned this TV. Tells me that Roku shouldn't be allowed to handle TV firmware, they suck at it.

EDIT: Image settings also reset when ever the TV exits HDR/Dolby Vision mode. This is ridiculous, how did this get pass any testing?

·
Registered
918 Posts
sorry about that bud, :( i've never had any such problems with any firmware update on this or any of my other 2 models of TCL tv's.

best of luck with it. :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid Roku and forced firmware updates strikes again. I swear, Roku is the worst experience I have ever had with firmware updates, every other update screws something up and it takes months for them to fix it. I'm trying to convince the wife to let me buy a new TV because I'm stick and tired of Roku. I'll never buy another Roku device until they allow users to turn off auto updates. I love the image quality of the TCL, just hate the Roku software.

My TV was forced to 9.3.0.4182 this morning and it has screw up the image and color settings. Every time I turn the TV on or switch inputs, the color settings reset to default, even though the TV menus and expert menu in the app say it is on the settings I configured. In fact, you can't even change the settings, they have no effect on the TV until I restart the TV from the Power menu. Then everything is back to normal and they way I had it set until... I change TV inputs or turn the TV off and back on. I'm so tired of restarting my TV today that I don't even want to use it anymore. Thanks Roku, for ruining my viewing experience. If they ever get around to fixing this, I guess I'll have to use my router to block all internet traffic to Roku services to prevent future updates.

Sorry for this post, I just need to vent. This is something like the 4 firmware update that has messed up the image quality somehow since I have owned this TV. Tells me that Roku shouldn't be allowed to handle TV firmware, they suck at it.

EDIT: Image settings also reset when ever the TV exits HDR/Dolby Vision mode. This is ridiculous, how did this get pass any testing?
i saw this version was available on my 55 P series tonight, (which is funny because it seemed like just a couple of days or a week ago, the OS was updated) so, I updated and i'm not getting those issues you mentioned.

again, I do hope it gets resolved for you and what your going through. :)

·
Registered
860 Posts

FYI, getting the same issue with version 4182, except that I have a 65R617.
TV auto-updated this morning and now the picture is pretty much at 100% backlight. Can't adjust or modify it.
Only way to get back to a normal picture is with a system restart.
Pretty disappointing.

CFC

·
Registered
944 Posts
P605 updated to latest no issues.

btw you can disable this 'auto-update' business by disabling that quick on feature. i manually updated mine and it appears ok. i wonder if the 'auto update' screws up stuff. worth reporting to tcl if so. not sure if they'll listen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
P605 updated to latest no issues.

btw you can disable this 'auto-update' business by disabling that quick on feature. i manually updated mine and it appears ok. i wonder if the 'auto update' screws up stuff. worth reporting to tcl if so. not sure if they'll listen.

My experience with TCL is that the first thing they do is check if your TV is under warranty. If it isn't, they tell you goodbye without even trying to understand what the problem is. I hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I was just about to ask who to report the bug to, Roku, TVL or both?

My TV is still under warranty through Best Buy until 2022 but, they can’t help with a firmware issue.

Since the only work around I have found so far is to restart the TV, I’ve created a 12 step macro sequence for every activity on my Harmony remote. At least this makes it easy for anyone in the house to restart the TV. Maybe it will get fixed in a future update.

Just sucks that, IMO, TCL has the best picture quality for the price but uses the Roku software. We never even use the Roku apps because we have an Apple TV. But since you have to use the Roku app to access the expert settings you have to connect it to your network, otherwise I wouldn’t even bother with a network connection.

·
Registered
918 Posts
how is your player (and what brand) connected to the tv?

·
Registered
102 Posts
My player is a lg 4k player run into my yamaha receiver into the tv my setup hasn’t changed since I bought this tv new in 2017 and has had zero issues before 9.3 and I’ve power cycled everything. Running movie from player without gamemode I’m has visible audio lag switch gamemode on and audio is perfect was never like that with any firmware before 9.3.

·
Registered
918 Posts
is it any movie you play that gives you this issue or certain movies? also, are they HDR or DV UHD movies or HD Blu-ray?

also, if your player is connected to your receiver for audio/video, it's sending sending video only to the tv so are you sure it's a tv issue?

what model yammy you got?

6441 - 6460 of 6484 Posts