AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3366 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are people posting in other threads with information and observations from their new 2017 Vizio M Series displays and I thought it was time to start a dedicated thread for owners. As I am not yet an owner of the 2017 M Series, but the owner of a 2016 M70-D3, I am anxious to see reviews and hear what owners of this years iteration have to say!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm in the market for a new 4K tv myself, I'm looking at Vizio and others. What's the difference between the M series and the P series?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok question for everyone. My new 2017 m series has been great since i got it a few days ago but now i got a slight hiccup. This only happens when casting netflix 4k DV content. If i begin casting netflix and say im watching just an HD program, if i stop and switch to a 4k DV video it will load and begin playing, however i get split second flashes as what i can only describe as digital data pixelation, it is like a 2 second flash and it will continue to do this until i stop the video close my netflix app, force close it, open it back up and begin casting again at which point the 4k DV video loads and plays just fine, no flashing digital blocks/pixelation. all other content and sources play fine, roku, blu-ray, HD and 4k content, youtube casting etc never experience the issue, i also found a video of almost exactly the same problem but on an lg oled display, mine looks just like that when it happens.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
What's Vizio say? Where did you get it?
A problem like only after a few days I would think will only get worse. If vizio can't explain why this is happening I think you should take that thing back.
Even at Vizio prices these tv's cost WAY to much money to put up with that not even for a few seconds!

·
Registered
120 Posts
What's Vizio say? Where did you get it?
A problem like only after a few days I would think will only get worse. If vizio can't explain why this is happening I think you should take that thing back.
Even at Vizio prices these tv's cost WAY to much money to put up with that not even for a few seconds!

Well good news, i decided to check to see if i could get a video of my tv doing it, however i couldnt replicate the issue. I thought it was quite odd since i could always get it to do it like i explained above. I just happen to check my firmware and apparently at some point today my set updated from 3.2.8 to 3.2.13 and this new firmware seems to have completely fixed my issue!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Me too, the tv has been flawless otherwise and i didnt want the hassle of taking it off the wall after spending so much time getting all the cables routed and hidden and the angle of the tv just right lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello guys, I picked up my M series 55 inches on the weekend. I absolutely love it. This is my first TV ever after leaving my parents house where we had a Sony. Coming from an old LCD (2009) to this amazing 4k display is quite of a difference. 4K content is beyond belief for me but I noticed that HD content upscaling is not too impressive..it's nice but not mind blowing. What do you guys think about it? Are you absolutely satisfied with the upscaling?

·
Registered
331 Posts
So far the biggest improvement that I noticed is HDR. The addition of WCG makes a big difference. The overall screen brightness has been improved not sure if it's as bright as the P when it comes to full screen but it can get small highlights bright something that the P does not do at least not yet.

I created a picture mode on my 2016 M using the vivid settings for HDR I know it's not as accurate but was brighter than calibrated mode. On the 2017 calibrated is brighter than 2016 Ms vivid I even set the gamma to about 2.2 and it's still bright. I used 1.8 to 2.0 for the 2016 M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Little tip on price. I ordered my 65 inch directly from the Vizio website. They do have it listed for slightly more at 1199 but by signing up to their newsletter you get a 5% coupon code that you can apply at checkout. I ended up paying 1140.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my m50 yesterday and was surprised that there were no streaming apps on the tv itself. Chromecast only. Previews I read said that they were going away from this and back to "traditional" apps for the 2017 models.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I just got my m50 yesterday and was surprised that there were no streaming apps on the tv itself. Chromecast only. Previews I read said that they were going away from this and back to "traditional" apps for the 2017 models.
Sounds like it will be an update coming later as far as my understanding.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone play Xbox One S or PS4 Pro on the 2017 M-series? I've been looking for a "budget" friendly 4K TV, I mainly game and use Plex to watch movies.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Last I heard was sometime during this summer. It will still be Chromecast the TV will be given the ability to request the stream and will retrieve it like it does now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm in the market for a new 4K tv myself, I'm looking at Vizio and others. What's the difference between the M series and the P series?

I second this..cant find any calibration info yet

Rtings should have a review out within the next couple weeks. I understand they have already purchased an M Series, and gave mid-June as an eta for the review.

They usually include a section with settings, and a calibration report, as part of the review process. I wouldn't doubt that they will highlight differences between the Vizio M & P Series displays.

I am awaiting this review so I can make a decision between the Vizio P and M or see if I need to wait for the TCL P series as I want a 65" display. CNET also said they would be reviewing the M, but that was over a month ago and nothing from them as of yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looking forward to the rtings so i can try their calibration settings. So far i would say what amazes me most with this tv compared to the other 4k tv it replaced is the FALD and HDR. The fald allows blacks to be black but whites to be bright without washing out the whole picture like my old tv. Also this is my first time seeing HDR and it really makes the picture pop in a way that makes you say wow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello, I recently purchased the M55-E0 and it's my first HDR TV. I'm a little confused how HDR is displayed on it. It's my understanding that the HDMI-1 port is the only input that can pass HDR/WCG-encoded content, correct? Currently my only HDR source is casting 4k HDR videos from YouTube, but I'm not sure if the TV is actually displaying the video in HDR/WCG. When I'm casting YouTube HDR videos and I look at the "System Information" menu the "HDR" field about half way down the list always says "No". Does this mean the content currently on display is not HDR? Or that the HDR feature hasn't been activated on the TV? This sounds like a stupid question, but I just want to make sure the TV is actually displaying in HDR. Is there a setting within the menu I have to enable in order for the TV to display HDR/WCG content? Just not sure why the HDR value says "no" all the time under the system information menu. Thanks

1 - 20 of 3366 Posts