AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 9889 Posts

·
Vendor
30,739 Posts
Also, another way to know that a Denon or Marantz model is about to be released is looking for any update on the Marantz and Denon 2016 AVR Remote app for iOS and Android. These apps get updates about 2 or 3 weeks before the new models are released. The next update for the Denon Remote app will show added compatibility for the X3500H and the Marantz Remote app will show added compatibility for the SR5013 and SR6013 models.
See that you learn something everyday ;)

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
X3500H User Manual link is now active.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Good catch! I think jd is right, that is most likely a misprint. I find it hard to believe they would use the AK4490 that is only found in the X8500H and the AV8805, not even the 2018 Marantz flag ship SR8012 has the AK4458, not the 4490.
Using the AK4490 would add cost to the product. The AK4490 and AK4458 have had similar prices, but only two AK4458's are required for a typical AVR vs one AK4490 for each two channels. In addition each added DAC chip requires added board space and supporting passive components.

It also seems unlikely that AK4490 would be used in newly designed, high performance products, since an updated chip is available, the AK4493:

https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/detail/0054/

The AK4493 offers slightly better distortion and noise performance, higher output, and other improvements detailed in the link above. The AK4493 appears to be physically compatible with the AK4490, but does require more power in line with the greater output capabilities. Some code changes are also likely required to use new features. The greater output capabilities allow lower value resistors in the circuitry that follows the DAC. This in turn reduces noise from the resistors and provides the potential for improving the overall S/N ratio, in addition to any improvements in the basic AK4493.

·
Registered
675 Posts
but does require more power in line with the greater output capabilities. Some code changes are also likely required to use new features. The greater output capabilities allow lower value resistors in the circuitry that follows the DAC. This in turn reduces noise from the resistors and provides the potential for improving the overall S/N ratio, in addition to any improvements in the basic AK4493.
I suppose we have to wait two years to get the next Denon flagship AVR and Marantz AVP that hopefully will have the AK4493 on board. This's assuming they would be willing to invest in a new circuit board to provide the new power requirements and make any necessary code change to get the benefits of the new chip. One of the new feature is DSD up to 22.4MHz, i.e. DSD512. Current D&M models can do do DSD128/5.6 MHz. Until then, Yamaha has the best DAC chip for their flag ships, specs wise anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Denon AVR-X540BT

Im a gamer and i just bought the Denon AVR-X540BT

I only have stereo but wanted to have surr. options for the future, but i dont like this reciever due to it has no stereo option at all
There is only Cinema, Game, Music and Pro.logic modes..where is the stereo mode ?

When i play music it sounds fine with the the music mode selected.
But if i watch youtube or anyone sings then i find ther voices to be low compared to the music.

Is this normal ?
If so then its a bad reciever im my opinion.

·
Registered
28,894 Posts
i DONT SEE ANY steroe AT ALL IN ANY MANUALS ..FAIL RECIEVER
Press the sound mode left or right arrow on the remote. If connected to your TV via HDMI and TV is on you should see options for Dolby, DTS, Stereo, Multichannel Stereo, Direct etc. on the screen

this is not a receiver fail, more of a user not knowing about his new AVR. Read pages 60-62 of your manual. If you don't have the owners manual you can download it here.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20180703103200/Manuals/033/033AVS540B.PDF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lol ur right..maybe i was just sad over my old teac was broken aftere 20 years and i had to accept this new denon.

Im using 2 cerwin vegas speakers connected to the denon and my pc with jacks, so its analog since i dont have any fancy speaker setup.
So im using it for gaming and music on my pc.

The problem i find with the sound:

When i play music from ect any media player, then i find the music to be louder then the games i play or when i watch viodeos on youtube then i ned to turn up the volume on the denon
But then the music gets to loud again..its like there is missing some kind loudness equalizer..

Why is there this huge difference in music and voice output ?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Lol ur right..maybe i was just sad over my old teac was broken aftere 20 years and i had to accept this new denon.

Im using 2 cerwin vegas speakers connected to the denon and my pc with jacks, so its analog since i dont have any fancy speaker setup.
So im using it for gaming and music on my pc.

The problem i find with the sound:

When i play music from ect any media player, then i find the music to be louder then the games i play or when i watch viodeos on youtube then i ned to turn up the volume on the denon
But then the music gets to loud again..its like there is missing some kind loudness equalizer..

Why is there this huge difference in music and voice output ?
try to equalize the volume within windows

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Im a gamer and i just bought the Denon AVR-X540BT

I only have stereo but wanted to have surr. options for the future, but i dont like this reciever due to it has no stereo option at all
There is only Cinema, Game, Music and Pro.logic modes..where is the stereo mode ?

When i play music it sounds fine with the the music mode selected.
But if i watch youtube or anyone sings then i find ther voices to be low compared to the music.

Is this normal ?
If so then its a bad reciever im my opinion.

One subtlety is that you do have to be actually listening to an audio source for all of the associated Sound Modes to be available in the on-screen menu when you press one of the Movie/Music/Game buttons. the Sound Mode button. (Oops sorry: I didn't realize the 540's remote doesn't have the separate buttons.)

ETA:
Also, verify that you've set the audio output of your computer to be 2.0 in Windows' "audio output device" menu. Youtube provides only stereo audio. If you've selected 5.1 in the Windows menu, Windows will send a 5.1 soundtrack but with the center and surround channels silent. As a result, applying ProLogic won't do anything because the receiver thinks that all of the speaker channels are already occupied.

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
Reactions: dkfan9

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tryed to lower the equlizer in media player and it worked and also i see windows has this loudness equlizer option..i can enable it and choose a slider for release time short - long
Im not sure what that means for real. Vut it also seems to work..dont the sound becomes bad or loose quality using that EQ ?

Its just wiesr to me to config all this now when i dident need to before whan i had the teac reciever..

The denon 540 looks great and im sure its a good reciever for that kind of money..but i just miss some kind of in build equlizer that makes music and voice same level.
Its not much but it feels like voice is running 40 vol and music is running 50 vol even when you have set it to 40 vol.

Windows seems to be using stereo 2.0

·
Registered
707 Posts
So correct me if I’m wrong…

There really isn’t any groundbreaking technology that’s going to be released in the 2018 models, right?

For instance there is no new surround sound format like virtual Atmos for 5.1 or a newer version of Audyssey? And HDMI 2.1 isn’t happening.

Dan

·
Registered
15,079 Posts

There really isn’t any groundbreaking technology that’s going to be released in the 2018 models, right?

For instance there is no new surround sound format like virtual Atmos for 5.1 or a newer version of Audyssey? And HDMI 2.1 isn’t happening.

Dan
I haven't seen evidence of anything "groundbreaking", but there will be incremental improvements.

At the top end, Atmos now supports two more speaker channels (maxing out at 13 instead of 11 active speakers) and Auro-3D is supposed to be adding two more channels.

I haven't looked for evidence of it happening this year, but often features previously available only at one specific cost point (and higher) become available at the next lower one.

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
I haven't looked for evidence of it happening this year, but often features previously available only at one specific cost point (and higher) become available at the next lower one.
good point. xt32 slowly crept down the lineup, for example.

·
Premium Member
91,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 · (Edited)

Dan
This is often true from year to year with major changes maybe only every 2-3 years although some would say the overlay display of the GUI on 4k video and return of Web Control are indeed significant, while others may not; however, other than the features listed in post 1, the X4500H and X6500H spec lists have not been released yet.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
This is often true from year to year with major changes maybe only every 2-3 years although some would say the overlay display of the GUI on 4k video and return of Web Control are indeed significant, while others may not; however, other than the features listed in post 1, the X4500H and X6500H spec lists have not been released yet.
Are you aware of any further info on when the web control feature will be reintroduced?

I believe the last word was that it was expected for sometime next year; I would love to see it arrive sooner than that if it is indeed being marketed as a feature of the 2018 models.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you aware of any further info on when the web control feature will be reintroduced?

I believe the last word was that it was expected for sometime next year; I would love to see it arrive sooner than that if it is indeed being marketed as a feature of the 2018 models.
Not sure about the rest, but Web Control is documented in the initial version of the AVR-X3500H manual, so I'm expecting that it is in the initial version of the firmware.

261 - 280 of 9889 Posts