AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1291 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Noted with thanks. It seems not much added feature, except that IMAX DTS:X thing, which won't be coming till next year.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Joining club - Just got confirmation of availability (Canada) - Few upgrades this year - waiting on availability on new JVC N7 - Had 4 RSL C34E delivered last week for an Atmos upgrade- been kinda avoiding doing the install/mess of ceiling speakers- not my skill set-

·
Registered
Sonus faber, Anthem, Monolith and JVC
2,158 Posts
I am quite pleased with the 4K video pass through ability of this processor. I do not notice any PQ degradation. I am also quite impressed with its upscaling abilities. I can't tell the difference between the AV7705's upscaling and my Sony 940D TV. You do have to set video conversion to "on" in the video output settings in order to see the volume bar, but again, I see no difference in PQ between on and off. I have mine set to on and scaling off. I used to own the Marantz SR7010 and the video setting on that receiver screwed with the PQ. Not so with the AV7705. The surround sound is very satisfying as well. Hard to imagine anyone not liking it. Bob
I currently have an SR7010, did you notice any improvement in audio by switching to the AV7705?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Besides price and number of channels, are there any differences between av7705 and av8805?

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Besides price and number of channels, are there any differences between av7705 and av8805?
Yes, but those differences are primarily in the quality of its construction and design (resulting in lower noise and distortion) not in the available features. Whether or not you'll hear any difference depends on the quality of your hearing, your speakers and your listening room's acoustics.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
I currently have an SR7010, did you notice any improvement in audio by switching to the AV7705?
The SR7010 was three receivers ago and I had it with different speakers. So, its not an apples to apples comparison. I will say that I liked the Denon X4400H a little better than the SR7010 using the same speakers and amplification. I thought the Denon had a more engaging surround sound experience. My memory on two channel doesn't really stand out one way or the other. I just remember being pretty impressed with the X4400H.

Now, going from the Denon to the AV7705 I am even more impressed. Better surround experience, better two channel. Significant is a word open to interpretation, but I will say the difference is noticeable. Just a cleaner sound. More clarity, dynamics and resolution. Not night and day (is anything really night and day?), but noticeably better.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
"OFFICIAL" 2018 Marantz AV7705 Owner's Thread

I am fairly new on the AV separates subject and I was wondering what are the differences between let's say a Marantz SR7013 pre-amp/processor section and the AV7705 except for the XLR/Balanced pre-outs? How much of a sonic improvement will it makes?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've been getting some intermittent audio and video dropouts. At first, I thought it might be just limited to my DirecTV box, but, it's also occurring with my Oppo BDP-83. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am fairly new on the AV separates subject and I was wondering what are the differences between let's say a Marantz SR7013 pre-amp/processor section and the AV7705 except for the XLR/Balanced pre-outs? How much of a sonic improvement will it makes?

The SR7013 is a receiver, whereas the AV7705 is a pre-amp/processor. People generally use separates so as to have dedicated (read: better) amplifiers power their speakers. In a given class, all-in-one receivers will have inferior amps compared to stand-alone. The max output of a receiver is somewhat limited and not exactly as advertised when driving multiple channels, but that can also apply to certain amps. Lastly, in the long-run it provides a somewhat cheaper approach to scale the system and/or upgrade as newer technologies emerge (like when Dolby figures out how to put speakers on the floor or whatever)… in which case you only need to upgrade your processor, and if at all add an amp to drive the extra channels.

This is my first foray into separates as well, so cannot speak specifically around quality. I would assume it's just better.

Reactions: jsgrise

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The SR7013 is a receiver, whereas the AV7705 is a pre-amp/processor. People generally use separates so as to have dedicated (read: better) amplifiers power their speakers. In a given class, all-in-one receivers will have inferior amps compared to stand-alone. The max output of a receiver is somewhat limited and not exactly as advertised when driving multiple channels, but that can also apply to certain amps. Lastly, in the long-run it provides a somewhat cheaper approach to scale the system and/or upgrade as newer technologies emerge (like when Dolby figures out how to put speakers on the floor or whatever)… in which case you only need to upgrade your processor, and if at all add an amp to drive the extra channels.

This is my first foray into separates as well, so cannot speak specifically around quality. I would assume it's just better.
Thank you!

I am currently thinking about expanding to 7.2.4 from 5.2.4 and going with the AV7705. I would then use my SR7010 as a 7 channel power amp and add a MM7055 for the LCR and surround.

Please let me know what you think of the 7705 :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I still haven't taken delivery of my equipment as theater work is in progress. Should be ready in a couple of weeks.

What kind of speakers are you driving? Have you considered Emotiva amps?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I still haven't taken delivery of my equipment as theater work is in progress. Should be ready in a couple of weeks.

What kind of speakers are you driving? Have you considered Emotiva amps?
My speaker setup is listed in my signature, all Sonus Faber Venere. I did not really look into Emotiva as I can get some pretty good price with Marantz.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
I've been getting some intermittent audio and video dropouts. At first, I thought it might be just limited to my DirecTV box, but, it's also occurring with my Oppo BDP-83. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Dropouts like what you describe usually are symptoms of poor HDMI connections or inadequate cables.

The first thing to do is to check all of your HDMI cables. Make sure they are firmly seated at both ends. (Perhaps wiggle them just a little.) Thick cables in particular tend to work loose is there is any stress pulling them to the side.

If that doesn't help, make sure they are all "Certified Premium". They don't cost any more than non-certified High Speed cables, but come with a special holographic ID card. "Certified Premium" cables are (supposedly) guaranteed to work for signals up to UHD 18 Gigabit/sec, but non-certified cables might or might not work reliably at the higher frequencies.

If the cable from your receiver to your TV or projector is longer than about 15 ft, then you should consider an HDMI repeater or an optical connection with HDMI transceivers.

·
Vendor
30,752 Posts
My speaker setup is listed in my signature, all Sonus Faber Venere. I did not really look into Emotiva as I can get some pretty good price with Marantz.
Emotiva makes some nice gear, I will say if you need 500 or 1000 watt mono blocks, Red Dragon Audio all the way, nothing like a 10# mono block ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dropouts like what you describe usually are symptoms of poor HDMI connections or inadequate cables.

The first thing to do is to check all of your HDMI cables. Make sure they are firmly seated at both ends. (Perhaps wiggle them just a little.) Thick cables in particular tend to work loose is there is any stress pulling them to the side.

If that doesn't help, make sure they are all "Certified Premium". They don't cost any more than non-certified High Speed cables, but come with a special holographic ID card. "Certified Premium" cables are (supposedly) guaranteed to work for signals up to UHD 18 Gigabit/sec, but non-certified cables might or might not work reliably at the higher frequencies.

If the cable from your receiver to your TV or projector is longer than about 15 ft, then you should consider an HDMI repeater or an optical connection with HDMI transceivers.
Thanks Selden. I tried the following last night: Unplugged power (restart); changed the hdmi cable to a thinner cable which I know is certified; cooled the unit with a fan. I noticed that the top of the processor gets very hot. Do you think this may have been the cause? If so, what is the chance that there has been some permanent damage? After I did the above, it seemed to be fine for the next hour, or so. However, I won't know for sure until more extended use. Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Thanks Selden. I tried the following last night: Unplugged power (restart); changed the hdmi cable to a thinner cable which I know is certified; cooled the unit with a fan. I noticed that the top of the processor gets very hot. Do you think this may have been the cause? If so, what is the chance that there has been some permanent damage? After I did the above, it seemed to be fine for the next hour, or so. However, I won't know for sure until more extended use. Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?
Overheating certainly can cause problems. If keeping it cool eliminates your symptoms, then I suspect that there's been no permanent damage.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
How hot? Do you have an infrared thermometer?

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...8-1&keywords=temperature+sensing+infrared+gun

Just saying an item is hot isn't very helpful. Can you hold your hand on the top of the unit or did you burn yourself?

Is the AV7705 installed according to Marantz's instructions for clearance?

·
Registered
289 Posts
How hot? Do you have an infrared thermometer?

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...8-1&keywords=temperature+sensing+infrared+gun

Just saying an item is hot isn't very helpful. Can you hold your hand on the top of the unit or did you burn yourself?

Is the AV7705 installed according to Marantz's instructions for clearance?
It's not hot enough to burn, but, hotter than what I have felt with most all of my prior AV equipment. It definitely needs more ventilation as right now there is only about 2 inches of clearance on top. I was going to move it to a different area but I needed to buy some longer cables to connect to my amp. I guess I need to do that asap, at this point. For now, I'm going to make sure I use an external fan until I finalize a more permanent solution.

21 - 40 of 1291 Posts