AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1141 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
What is the source that is selected when it powers on? The last source that was used? In some cases if the source comes out of standby mode (eg. PC), it can power the AVR on due to HDMI-CEC. In other instances, if there are kids in the house, they have been known to inadvertently power on the unit when listening to Airplay.
jd - It powers on to the source I have used as my pass through source - Roku. Usually, I'll shut it off with "TV Audio" as the source. I only recently started using HEOS so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it, but, in that situation I would assume it would turn on with HEOS as the source. I'm also thinking it might be a HDMI-CEC issue, but I have to use eARC for my DirecTV box right now. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I have to engage CEC to use eARC, correct? Because it is an older DVR, when I recently bought my Sony A9G, the audio stopped working when plugged into the AVR directly. By the way, I turned off all "Bravia Sync" features in the TV as well.

·
Premium Member
88,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #982
jd - It powers on to the source I have used as my pass through source - Roku. Usually, I'll shut it off with "TV Audio" as the source. I only recently started using HEOS so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it, but, in that situation I would assume it would turn on with HEOS as the source. I'm also thinking it might be a HDMI-CEC issue, but I have to use eARC for my DirecTV box right now. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I have to engage CEC to use eARC, correct? Because it is an older DVR, when I recently bought my Sony A9G, the audio stopped working when plugged into the AVR directly. By the way, I turned off all "Bravia Sync" features in the TV as well.
As noted on p. 190 Owner's manual, there is a dedicated setting which no longer requires HDMI Control to be enabled on the AVP. Additionally, eARC requires using an HDMI w/Ethernet cable and does not require HDMI-CEC to be enabled on the TV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Does anyone know the output impedence of 7705. I want to connect it to an amp that is 15k input impedence. Want to make sure they match.

Thx,
Anthony

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
I am considering buying a new AV7705. My 5 year old AV8802A is having power up issues. I am trading the cost of repairing my AV8802A versus buying a new AV7705. I can’t afford the cost of a new AV8805. It would be great if I could trade in my damaged AV8802A to reduce the cost of the AV7705. I guess these are not like cars. I don’t think anyone takes trade ins.

I am trying to understand what features I will gain or lose between the AV7705 and the AV8802A. My speaker/amplifier set-up is an 7.2.4 ATMOS system. This matches the AV7705 perfectly. The AV7705 can be controlled by Alexa or Siri. I know my wife/daughter would really like that. Does anyone have a comparison list between these two units? I have been looking at Marantz’s comparison between the AV7705 and the AV8805.

I am guessing everyone on this thread would recommend the AV7705. That is, except for those who are having technical problems with their units and are frustrated.

I am also considering to go with some other brand of Preamp. The technical support from Marantz was pretty much non-existent. All they said was to send it in for repairs. Does anyone have a suggestion of a different brand of Preamp capable of controlling a 7.2.4 system? I could eliminate one of the Subwoofers and go with a 7.1.4.

Thank you,
Terry from San Jose

·
Premium Member
88,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #985
I am considering buying a new AV7705. My 5 year old AV8802A is having power up issues. I am trading the cost of repairing my AV8802A versus buying a new AV7705. I can’t afford the cost of a new AV8805. It would be great if I could trade in my damaged AV8802A to reduce the cost of the AV7705. I guess these are not like cars. I don’t think anyone takes trade ins.

I am trying to understand what features I will gain or lose between the AV7705 and the AV8802A. My speaker/amplifier set-up is an 7.2.4 ATMOS system. This matches the AV7705 perfectly. The AV7705 can be controlled by Alexa or Siri. I know my wife/daughter would really like that. Does anyone have a comparison list between these two units? I have been looking at Marantz’s comparison between the AV7705 and the AV8805.

I am guessing everyone on this thread would recommend the AV7705. That is, except for those who are having technical problems with their units and are frustrated.

I am also considering to go with some other brand of Preamp. The technical support from Marantz was pretty much non-existent. All they said was to send it in for repairs. Does anyone have a suggestion of a different brand of Preamp capable of controlling a 7.2.4 system? I could eliminate one of the Subwoofers and go with a 7.1.4.

Thank you,
Terry from San Jose
As the AV8802A is the former "flagship" Marantz AVP, you would lose 2 XLR IN, front MHL, Dialog Enhancer, Toroidal transformer, learning remote, vTuner, Front Wide speaker capability, and a better quality DAC, but with the AV7705 you gain some new features to include HEOS, Auro 3D, MultEQ Editor app use, TuneIn, IMAX Enhanced DTS:X, and a dedicated ARC (ON/OFF) setting such that HDMI Control is no longer required to be enabled.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am trying to understand what features I will gain or lose between the AV7705 and the AV8802A.

Keep the remote from your 8802A. It is far better than the 7705 remote and will work fine with it.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts

Thank you,
Terry from San Jose
Frankly for the money the 7705 is hard to beat, and the only feature I would consider as an upgrade with regards to a different brand is the Dirac Live REQ vs the Audessey in the 7705, however any Pre/Pro that has it will be more expensive and it's up to each individual if that is something of a value to them.

Reactions: Ricky

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Frankly for the money the 7705 is hard to beat, and the only feature I would consider as an upgrade with regards to a different brand is the Dirac Live REQ vs the Audessey in the 7705, however any Pre/Pro that has it will be more expensive and it's up to each individual if that is something of a value to them.
And once you add the Editor app to the included Audyssey XT32, the gap between it and Dirac gets very close.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
And once you add the Editor app to the included Audyssey XT32, the gap between it and Dirac gets very close.
I tried the app a while back but it wouldn't work with my phone constantly loosing connection with the Pre/Pro during calibration. At the time there were a widespread complain about this on the play store so I just requested a refund. Frankly I'm rather happy with the "Flat" curve which removes MRC and actually boost some of the highest FR's which is a needed correction on my speakers. [Polk LSI9s]. YMMV.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just last night I noticed I have a real problem playing an ATMOS soundtrack on a blu ray, 4K blu ray disc.
At the beginning of Ghost in the Shell, or The Girl in the Spider's Web, even the movie Battleship with a DTS:X soundtrack, I am getting a thump and very little sound otherwise for at least the first 5 mins or so, sometimes until like 15 mins into the movie, then it seems to come together and play well.
I never noticed anything like this before, my FW updated itself and is up to date a week or so ago (who knows about days and time these Corona Virus days?).
My AV7705 is on Ver. 2461-1370-9142-4045.
Over here in Thailand on 220VAC.
Anyone else having this ATMOS problem? When I change the soundtrack to a Chinese or Thai 5.1 then everything sounds fine, well, ha ha, not really, as I cannot understand much then.
I updated the FW on my Pioneer LX500 just to be sure it might not be the problem, but no joy.
Thanks for any help, and no, no HDMI cables were harmed in making this post, er, no cable changes at all. All been working perfectly (well, home theater never works perfectly it seems) for the last year.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^^Further to above, ATMOS is gone!!!!
Even Hacksaw Ridge, formerly awesome ATMOS sounds the same now, like random digital bits of sound, Morse Code sounding. Back to Battleship, DTS:X is screwed too, makes LOUD piercing blips, but does have dialog which is almost totally lacking in ATMOS on Ghost in the Shell, Hacksaw Ridge, etc.
I went into the setup of the Pioneer LX500 and changed bitstream to PCM, and got sound again, same as I do when I chose another language, got a DD 5.1 or something. But ATMOS is gone.
Changed back to bitstream, still the same. Any ideas?
The Marantz seems really buggy these days, now this is the WORST ever.
Any help appreciated, thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
163 Posts
The fun never stops, now, with no input signal that I know of, all of a sudden the ATMOS height speakers on the right side of my home theater started buzzing, static sounding.
What is going on?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The fun never stops, now, with no input signal that I know of, all of a sudden the ATMOS height speakers on the right side of my home theater started buzzing, static sounding.
What is going on?
Have you tried doing a full reset?

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^^
Yes, thanks Sal1950, I have done a full reset, done the setup 3 times now, reassigned inputs,
all NO JOY!!!!!
ATMOS and DTS:X are totally screwed up!!!!!
Nobody else experiencing this with the newest FW update?
Any other ideas?
Thanks and God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
68 Posts
^^^^^^
Yes, thanks Sal1950, I have done a full reset, done the setup 3 times now, reassigned inputs,
all NO JOY!!!!!
ATMOS and DTS:X are totally screwed up!!!!!
Nobody else experiencing this with the newest FW update?
Any other ideas?
Thanks and God Bless,
Wayne
This is getting to the point where the hardware it self has issues and problems.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My AV7705 is on FW Ver. 2461-1370-9142-4045. Since my ATMOS and DTS:X has crashed, does anyone recommend rolling back the FW to a previous version, where things were working wonderfully well?
AND
IF so, is there a way to do that? A place I can get that previous FW?
Any help would be very much appreciated.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
88,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #997
My AV7705 is on FW Ver. 2461-1370-9142-4045. Since my ATMOS and DTS:X has crashed, does anyone recommend rolling back the FW to a previous version, where things were working wonderfully well?
AND
IF so, is there a way to do that? A place I can get that previous FW?
Any help would be very much appreciated.
God Bless,
Wayne
Refer to post 3 for the procedure on returning the AVP to the original factory firmware version, otherwise, you'd have to retrieve an older version from your region (ie. not from USA site).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Noob with a new AV7705 and a question I can't seem to find the answer to:

Hello,

I have a small room office that I just put a new Marantz AV7705 and speakers in. There are so many adjustments and routings in this new pre-pro that I'm a bit overwhelmed and need a fundamental question answered that I can't seem to find anywhere.

Is it possible to combine the audio of my computer with the output of my TV (a TCL 65R617) somehow, or is that just not possible? I'd like to hear the computer because I use chat programs that use audio cues and email notifications etc, while using the built in apps like Netflix and Prime.

EDIT: Built in apps on the tv.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Yes. You can put a set of speakers on zone 2 and have that turned on at the same time. Have the computer go out zone 2 and the tv out of the main zone.

981 - 1000 of 1141 Posts