AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1132 Posts

·
Premium Member
87,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,021
Just setting up a new AV7705 and have a couple questions.

First, when setting up, the unit display seemed to only give an option to view the menu items on my TV screen. In my case my TV is a Front Projector. I am replacing an Onkyo PR-SC5508 and while not as easy to do, I was able to access and change settings from the front of the unit. I am just now reading through the User Guide, maybe I’ll find something.

I use a Lumagen Radiance Pro in my signal chain and prefer to connect my video devices directly to the Lumagen and have the Lumagen route just the audio to the AV7705. Not a big deal since if I want, I can connect the 7705’s HDMI OUT to the second HDMI IN on my projector.

Second, what are thoughts on adding Heights speakers? Is it worth the trouble? I currently have 7.2 and do have 3 additional Infinity Cascade Model Three V’s I could use for Heights and by using one of my existing Surround Back Model Three V’s, I could set up a 6.2.4 configuration (Using a single Surround Back Speaker). I’m not sure the Model Three V’s are optimal for Heights but they are what I have lying around and they are wall mountable. I would need to find some more amp channels.

This is in a relatively small, sealed, dedicated Home Theater. I posted a question in the Dolby Atmos thread with no response; link below for more details on my room.

Thanks.
1. Settings should be displayed on the front panel display.
2. Adding 2 (or more ideally 4) height speakers should provide a noticeable 3D surround audio envelopment experience.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am in the process of adding an Emotiva XPA-5 to my current AV7705 and Emotiva XPA-7. The two trigger outputs are as follows

AV7705 trigger out

Trigger 1 - to the Panamax M-5300 that triggers power to the two amplifiers

Trigger 2 - to the XPA-5 and out to the XPA-7

When everything is powered on the amplifiers turn off after a minute or two - went ahead powered them on via the button on the front of the amplifiers.

After the cabling was done I noticed that there was no audio at all - I went ahead and did a factory reset of the AV7705 and still no sound.

Unplugged all trigger connections and powered Emotiva Amplifiers manually and I now have audio and sound.

I went ahead reconfigured the wiring for the triggers.

Current Set Up now from the AV7705 trigger out

Trigger 1 - to the Emotiva XPA-7

Trigger 2 - to the Emotiva XPA-5, trigger out to the Panamax M-5300

This configuration is working now...........

Question: Is this because the 2 trigger outs are maxed out? Not enough voltage to trigger everything?

I have a ET-3 Trigger Expansion Module on order to help the 12V trigger voltage distribution.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I am in the process of adding an Emotiva XPA-5 to my current AV7705 and Emotiva XPA-7. The two trigger outputs are as follows

AV7705 trigger out

Trigger 1 - to the Panamax M-5300 that triggers power to the two amplifiers

Trigger 2 - to the XPA-5 and out to the XPA-7

When everything is powered on the amplifiers turn off after a minute or two - went ahead powered them on via the button on the front of the amplifiers.

After the cabling was done I noticed that there was no audio at all - I went ahead and did a factory reset of the AV7705 and still no sound.

Unplugged all trigger connections and powered Emotiva Amplifiers manually and I now have audio and sound.

I went ahead reconfigured the wiring for the triggers.

Current Set Up now from the AV7705 trigger out

Trigger 1 - to the Emotiva XPA-7

Trigger 2 - to the Emotiva XPA-5, trigger out to the Panamax M-5300

This configuration is working now...........

Question: Is this because the 2 trigger outs are maxed out? Not enough voltage to trigger everything? (Comment: NO)

I have a ET-3 Trigger Expansion Module on order to help the 12V trigger voltage distribution. (Comment: It's your money, but you are wasting it.)

Have you read the AV7705 and the Emotiva manuals? If you read the AV7705 manual you will find that each trigger output is rated at 12V, 150mA.

If you read the specifications for the XPA-5 you will find that the trigger input is rated at 12V, 10mA required.

Since 150mA is greater than 10mA that means the AV7705 has plenty of output capability to drive the trigger. Not in the manual: The AV7705 has a very robust trigger circuit using MOSFET's as individual switches for each trigger output and an ample power supply.

The trigger outputs are voltage sources. The outputs maintain a fix voltage by supplying whatever current is required to maintain that voltage. You'll remember that since 150mA is much greater than 10mA, plenty of current is available.

You should also note that there is a lack of posts in this thread complaining about insufficient trigger output. There are likely other owners who use the triggers and even owners that use then with Emotiva amplifiers.

The Panamax unit requires a trigger 12V input, the current requirement isn't given, but the Panamax would have to have a completely incompetent design to require over 150mA.

If you read the Emotiva specifications you will learn that the trigger output of the Emotiva unit is a separate circuit from the trigger input. This means that only the trigger input needs to be driven by the AV7705, not any devices connected to the trigger output. The Emotiva trigger electronics drive that output.

Here are some thoughts for potential sources of problems:

There is a trigger input and trigger output port on the Emotiva amplifier. On most gear the ports would be just pass throughs and either port could be used for input and output. Emotiva has a better design, but it is possible the plug from an external trigger output into the Emotiva output which likely means the Emotiva trigger isn't activated. A cable plugged into the Emotiva input and then plugged into the input on another piece of equipment also doesn't work. All of this would be very easy to do. In other words, pilot error. This would be an easy mistake to make even if the difference between the trigger ports is known.

Trigger circuits are specified to use mono cables. Mono cables are typically shipped with equipment, but most aftermarket cables are stereo. Usually stereo cables work, and should work, but not always for some reason in some pieces of equipment. An easy way to avoid any unpredictable problems here is to use stereo-to-mono adapters. These are very low cost items from Monoprice. They made solid connections to cables so they are unlikely to be adding a potential source of failure.

Of course something could be broken.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Guys,
I have written an email to Marantz customer service in the UK, since they are the closest I guess that can speak English well and are also 220VAC as our AV7705 in Thailand is. Perhaps they are on the same FW?
I did this hoping to get help, and especially hoping to report that I believe it is their last FW update that crashed my ATMOS and DTS:X, that is, I think, hope it was the FW that caused my machine to make corrupted digital sounds and little else when playing a DTS HD-MA track on a blu ray and NO AUDIO at all now for Dolby TrueHD Multi tracks.
Try as I may I cannot find anything wrong that could possibly be causing this. The unit has been working and sounding great for 6 months!!!! So I am hopeful it is FW. If not, then I will have to send the unit to Bangkok for repair.
And who knows what even one night in Bangkok might do to a good boy??????
Seriously, I hate pulling the heart out of my system, and this is not the best time to be without the most important piece of my HT system, no computer, no net, except by phone, no TV, no music besides in ears and NO MOVIES. OUCH.
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Vendor
26,603 Posts
Seriously, I hate pulling the heart out of my system, and this is not the best time to be without the most important piece of my HT system, no computer, no net, except by phone, no TV, no music besides in ears and NO MOVIES. OUCH.
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
God Bless,
Wayne
That is the drag, no receiver no sound, if you are using a projector, you just can not use the system unless you like sub-titles.....

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My new Anthem AVM60 has a defective LCD screen and even the 2nd replacement I received also has this issue. I have decided to just go back into the Denon/Marantz family and order the 7705 to replace this AVM60. I really hope I made the right move. I have XT32 on both of my Denon receivers and have always been happy with the calibration. It seemed that Anthem's ARC was a bit better but for my new dual subwoofers Anthem only had a Parallel circuit for the subwoofers which means that they read as 1 subwoofer. The anthem also did not calculate the distances of the speakers so I had to manually input that in for all speakers AND the sub. As you guys know the distances are never correct to manually measure with a measuring tape for the subs since they have delays involved. So maybe this was all a blessing in disguise to go back to xt32 (I did miss the DEQ setting since I listen around -20 master volume) after all!

What are your guys thoughts on the move to this processor from the AVM60? The subwoofers being independent on this marrantz should be a night and day difference for me since I do not have all of the tools required for REW for my dual subs. I was also considering the Marantz 8805 but it seemed like the only difference was getting 2 more speaker channels that I won't use, a better DAC, and the ability to go to HDMI 2.1 with a future hardware upgrade. Is that right? I really hope I made the right decision because this Anthem AVM60 processor with 2 defective screens has been really bothersome.

Thanks for any input. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Cleveland Plasma, IF I have to pull my AV7705 out and send it for repairs, even though I do not have a projector, I would be forced to re wire a bunch of HDMI cables to my OLED and see what sound it has? I have not listened to "TV sound" in more years, at least 25, than I care to remember. Probably way longer than that, do they even put speakers in TV monitors any more? Couldn't prove it by me.
Looking for a better fix, option, but I suspect none is coming as I have done a factory reset on my Marantz and no joy, no ATMOS or DTS:X.
But still open for suggestions.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi Cleveland Plasma, IF I have to pull my AV7705 out and send it for repairs, even though I do not have a projector, I would be forced to re wire a bunch of HDMI cables to my OLED and see what sound it has? I have not listened to "TV sound" in more years, at least 25, than I care to remember. Probably way longer than that, do they even put speakers in TV monitors any more? Couldn't prove it by me.
Looking for a better fix, option, but I suspect none is coming as I have done a factory reset on my Marantz and no joy, no ATMOS or DTS:X.
But still open for suggestions.
God Bless,
Wayne
You could buy a cheap sound bar for about the price of going out to dinner with a few drinks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks bonscott,
No idea of the price of a sound bar, am fairly sure though that I have cables that cost more than a soundbar, although that is NOT a POPULAR notion on this site.
I just want my Marantz fixed, working right.
I do not want to pull out a unit only 6 months old because it can't work!!!!! And sent it to Bangkok to be repaired? Not confident at all.
But guess it will have to be done, still hoping to hear something helpful from MARANTZ.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
618 Posts
A few more questions from a new owner as I learn about the AV7705.

1) If you could install any type of .4 speakers’ which option would work best with the Marantz; Height, ceiling or Atmos up firing?

Here is a link to an Atmos post with some information on my room.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1574386-official-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version-1952.html#post59681086

2) Is this a typo? It is on the first page of this thread and in the Product Information pdf (I assume copied from the pdf).
Dolby Atmos, DTS:X (up to 7.1.4 with an external 2ch amplifier), Auro-3D and DTS Virtual:X for height virtualization effects

Seems like a description for an AVR, not a pre-processor. No big deal on the external amp reference but what does the 7.1.4 represent? I have two sub-woofers, actually 3 but two are connected to one output via a Y-cable. Does Dolby Atmos in the AV7705 only support one of the subs?

3) Can I use all 11.2 XLR pre-outs and use the zone-2 and/or zone-3 RCA pre-outs at the same time?

4) Do the HDMI Monitor Outs' work like an HDMI splitter, in other words, can I watch the same information on my Projector and on a TV at the same time? Also, can I watch a Blu-Ray on my projector and watch Xfinity cable on HDMI zone 2 at the same time? Probably the only thing I really want to do is occasionally take a TV outside and run the HDMI cable through my crawlspace out to my back patio without switching cables but curious non the less..

I would just test these but I built a component cabinet into the back wall of my basement theater and to get access to the back of my components I need to go through my crawlspace on my hands and knees so I prefer to minimize the number of times I have to do that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi new 7705 owner coming from a 8801.
Any setup suggestions/settings you would recommend I implement ?

I ran the Audyssey and changed a few things, your thoughts ?
I'm running an old school 5.1 setup

-changed my front towers (Dali Helicons) from Large to Small
-changed all crossovers to 80hz
-LPF for LFE set to 120hz (interested in feedback on this vs 90hz or 100hz)
-subwoofer (Velodyne DD-15) set to -7db on Audyssey (initial impression is it needs more punch)

I noticed the volume is kinda strange, not much juice until you get to 70+ on the volume
I found the LFE is about 6 dB to low from Audyssey. Also, the audyssey app is great to fine tune and see results.

·
Premium Member
87,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,033
A few more questions from a new owner as I learn about the AV7705.

1) If you could install any type of .4 speakers’ which option would work best with the Marantz; Height, ceiling or Atmos up firing?

Here is a link to an Atmos post with some information on my room.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1574386-official-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version-1952.html#post59681086

2) Is this a typo? It is on the first page of this thread and in the Product Information pdf (I assume copied from the pdf).
Dolby Atmos, DTS:X (up to 7.1.4 with an external 2ch amplifier), Auro-3D and DTS Virtual:X for height virtualization effects

Seems like a description for an AVR, not a pre-processor. No big deal on the external amp reference but what does the 7.1.4 represent? I have two sub-woofers, actually 3 but two are connected to one output via a Y-cable. Does Dolby Atmos in the AV7705 only support one of the subs?

3) Can I use all 11.2 XLR pre-outs and use the zone-2 and/or zone-3 RCA pre-outs at the same time?

4) Do the HDMI Monitor Outs' work like an HDMI splitter, in other words, can I watch the same information on my Projector and on a TV at the same time? Also, can I watch a Blu-Ray on my projector and watch Xfinity cable on HDMI zone 2 at the same time? Probably the only thing I really want to do is occasionally take a TV outside and run the HDMI cable through my crawlspace out to my back patio without switching cables but curious non the less..

I would just test these but I built a component cabinet into the back wall of my basement theater and to get access to the back of my components I need to go through my crawlspace on my hands and knees so I prefer to minimize the number of times I have to do that.
1. Height speaker location is very much dependent on your room and of course the WAF. In-ceiling is generally going to be best.
2. Yes, typo. Regardless of how many subs are connected, the description is most often displayed as 7.1.4 as there is only one LFE signal.
3. Yes, the Zone 2/3 pre-outs are independent from the main zone.
4. Yes, as long as both TV an PJ have the same resolution, otherwise only the lower resolution of the two will pass through. Yes, an independent HDMI source (audio+video) can be passed via the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output at the same time another source is playing in the main zone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Once more guys,
Marantz will not respond to my questions.
Hung out to dry here it looks like.
I am not really knowledgeable about the diff surround codecs, but if there is an HD in the title it will not play on my Marantz AV7705 at all. Messed up sound has now become NO SOUND.
I just put on a disc with DTS-HD MA 5.1 showing on the screen. My Marantz shows DTS and DSur or something flashing back and forth, static like, before I was getting digital horrible noise but now nothing. When I change to Dolby Digital 5.1 it plays fine, sounds great, IF you can understand whatever language is playing, not English.
Before a Dolby TrueHD Multi disc showed ATMOS (my Marantz display) for a couple of days, even though there was garbage digital pops and clicks, then no sound, but now I cannot get that atmos designation back, now it just goes to some version of DD and Sur whatever is selected by the drop down menu on the Marantz that does not include atmos any more, and NO SOUND whatsoever.
At a total loss here, I don't know what else to try, does anybody have any other suggestions to try?
Looking 99% like the unit is going to have to be pulled out and sent packing.
Any help,
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did get an email response from Marantz, very kindly, and they recommended several things to check out, and doing a Factory Restore.
All had been tried before but I did them again, still NO JOY.
Waiting to see if they find a bug in the latest FW, otherwise I fear the worst.
Looks like a repair job.
Will keep you informed,
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Very sorry to read about your on-going problems with the 7705. I have a 7704 and love it.

Are you able to confirm that these are genuine discs you're playing ?

Back some years ago when I lived in Bangkok, I found that it was quite difficult to buy genuine discs.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Just getting started setting up my AV7705 this evening and I have a question about the volume control. I am running it up into the 40+ and 50+ range for normal listening volume. Is that normal?

I am running balanced out of the AV7705 to a Krell 5 channel amp (200W per channel) and I am running 5 channels. During the Audyssey set up, the volume seemed pretty loud, but I'm surprised I have to run it up so high for movies/tv.

The input device is an Xfinity set box connected by HDMI to CBL/SAT input and I am using an HDMI cable into an older Sony's HDMI/arc input. I am not running any audio back from the TV to the AV7705. To get audible volume, I am riding the AV7705 into the 40+ range.

To test if this was unique to the HDMI feed, I just hooked up a Sonos Connect to the CD inputs, configured the AV7705 to RCA inputs for the CD input and, again, the volume is similar. I ride it up to 40+ for casual listening.

Is this normal? Thanks in advance reading and responding. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
It looks like my 7705 took a dump. It will not send a picture to my TV from any input and wouldn't display OS menus of any kind as well. When I switch it off but have the source remain on, the picture appears on the TV, which proves that both the cables and the sending source transmitting just fine when the 7705 acts as a passive switch. Without OS I'm afraid to do any resets. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
87,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,040
It looks like my 7705 took a dump. It will not send a picture to my TV from any input and wouldn't display OS menus of any kind as well. When I switch it off but have the source remain on, the picture appears on the TV, which proves that both the cables and the sending source transmitting just fine when the 7705 acts as a passive switch. Without OS I'm afraid to do any resets. Any ideas?
At this point, your only option is to refer to post 3 and start down the line of resets listed.

1021 - 1040 of 1132 Posts