AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1141 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Speaker distances post Audyssey

Quick question. Just bought a Marantz AV7705 and ran Audyssey in my home theater. I’ve heard Audyssey can get the speaker distances completely wrong. My room is 17 ft wide and 22 ft long. Room was dead silence during calibration. Mic was on a tripod. Audyssey speaker distances in my 7.1 system came out anywhere from 45 ft to 49 ft from Main listening position after calibration. The speakers are actually 12 ft to 10 ft from the mail listening position. Is this normal to get such a ridiculous reading from Audyssey? I went back in after calibration and changed the distances. Everything sounds good. With such a weird reading should I assume the whole calibration process might be off. Speaker levels all matched fine using my decibel meter.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Quick question. Just bought a Marantz AV7705 and ran Audyssey in my home theater. I’ve heard Audyssey can get the speaker distances completely wrong. My room is 17 ft wide and 22 ft long. Room was dead silence during calibration. Mic was on a tripod. Audyssey speaker distances in my 7.1 system came out anywhere from 45 ft to 49 ft from Main listening position after calibration. The speakers are actually 12 ft to 10 ft from the mail listening position. Is this normal to get such a ridiculous reading from Audyssey? I went back in after calibration and changed the distances. Everything sounds good. With such a weird reading should I assume the whole calibration process might be off. Speaker levels all matched fine using my decibel meter.

Thanks
No it's not normal and I never experienced this much discrepancy in the last 13 years using Audyssey . There can be a few inches however as the program measures this not just pure distance but phase coherence as well, which can result a few inches difference. Naturally all speaker wires were in phase right? Normally Audyssey warns for that but it's worth to double check.

·
Premium Member
87,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,063

Thanks
Actually, Audyssey rarely gets the speaker distances wrong unless the mic is either positioned wrong (ie. should be on included cardboard stand, camera tripod, or mic boom stand pointing up with line of sight to all speakers) or is defective. Run Audyssey a couple of more times. If the speaker distances are still not "spot on", then call Marantz for a replacement mic. Otherwise, you can also use an Audyssey mic from any Denon/Marantz/Onkyo model dating back to 2009.

I've run Audyssey dozens of times over the past 12 years on numerous models in different houses and the distances have always been "spot on."

·
Registered
21 Posts

Thanks

Appreciate all the recommendations. I ran Audyssey again and it recorded the speakers distances correctly. All is good. It sounds much better than the original calibration. Center channel sounds better and my 4 subs sound tighter. I am happy with the results.

Thx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bye Bye Marantz AV7705, center of my home theater. Got it off in the post, well, shipped it today. Hopefully the distributor for this area will get it tomorrow.
Let's see how long it takes for them to fix and return it.
Thanks for any who are following this saga.
I did find out that my tv does indeed have built in speakers, but they are rather lacking compared to home theater sound. But the tv has 4 HDMI inputs so I am able to hook up the computer, sat tv box, blu ray player and OPPO SACD player. OK, will not be playing SACDs and probably not blu rays without my baby.
Miss my sound.
All the best, God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some very welcome news -- Anyone using their AV7705's "TV Audio" input mode with an LG -C9 TV may like to know the following:

A new eARC LG firmware was released today.
Result is that the Marantz AV7705's eARC mode can now at last play multi-channel high-bandwidth LPCM pass-through from LG -C9 TVs.
(formerly the audio stream would reach the Marantz as truncated 2-ch playback only).

So now you can connect your multichannel HD audio streamer (or Playstation game console etc.) directly to your LG -C9 TV's HDMI input, and then select the "TV Audio" input on your Marantz remote, and you will get the full bandwidth multichannel lossless LPCM audio through to your speakers. :)

See screenshots below of a 5.1ch 192kHz 24bit LPCM source playing back successfully using the AV7705's TV Audio / eARC mode...

My TV is the LG OLED65-C9;
HD streamer is the DUNE-HD SmartD1 model;
The test audio was a 5.1ch 24bit 192kHz FLAC file.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Found a good deal on a 7705, so I replaced my 7703 with it. For my use, they are identical. But the remote is slightly different. The 7703 remote has an LCD display. Any reason to keep the 7703 remote over the 7705?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Found a good deal on a 7705, so I replaced my 7703 with it. For my use, they are identical. But the remote is slightly different. The 7703 remote has an LCD display. Any reason to keep the 7703 remote over the 7705?
Yes, the 7703 remote is programmable. The 7705 is supposed to be, but it doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
87,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,069
Although both remotes feature the ability to register "preset" codes from a table, only the AV7703 remote also includes a "learning" feature that allows it to learn codes directly from another remote.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes, the 7703 remote is programmable. The 7705 is supposed to be, but it doesn't work.
I sold the 7703 and it's remote went with it.

They really sold a remote that doesn't (fully) work? I wonder if you contacted Marantz if they would send you a 7703 (04?) remote to replace it at no charge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bye Bye Marantz AV7705, center of my home theater. Got it off in the post, well, shipped it today. Hopefully the distributor for this area will get it tomorrow.
Let's see how long it takes for them to fix and return it.
Thanks for any who are following this saga.
I did find out that my tv does indeed have built in speakers, but they are rather lacking compared to home theater sound. But the tv has 4 HDMI inputs so I am able to hook up the computer, sat tv box, blu ray player and OPPO SACD player. OK, will not be playing SACDs and probably not blu rays without my baby.
Miss my sound.
All the best, God Bless,
Wayne
Dang it, feel for you! Keeping fingers crossed on my own 7705, and wishing you a quick resolution.

Would be great if you kept us updated, we're all pulling for you, @Tex_Thai! I totally feel for you, can't just "do without" an AVR for so many things.

Best wishes to you!

Reactions: Tex_Thai

·
Registered
343 Posts
I sold the 7703 and it's remote went with it.

They really sold a remote that doesn't (fully) work? I wonder if you contacted Marantz if they would send you a 7703 (04?) remote to replace it at no charge.

They sent me another 7705 remote, which also doesn't work. I'm using a remote for the 8802, which works fine, but I had to buy it myself.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Audiophool, thanks for your good wishes and feelings expressed above. Really appreciate that.
I shipped off the Marantz one week ago tomorrow afternoon, and it got there on Tuesday, so it really has not been gone a full week yet. I guess that I must be a little more patient than this, so I am not squealing in pain too much yet.
Definitely missing great sounds on any movies I have watched. In fact, just watching those movies that come on the tv sat dish/top box, what ever you call it. These are not movies I would have bought, did not know anything about them, and in most cases were so horrible as to not even be able to finish watching, or finished watching because I could not believe a movie could be this bad......something good must happen, but not. But a couple of surprises like the movie Captive, which turned out to be a true story and very interesting.
None I really had to have great surround sound for, so tv speakers where OK.
Fathers' Day church (yes, we just opened up again, first day back) and activities can manage without good sound. Hope all you guys had a great FD!!!!
Will keep you guys updated on any further progress/developments.
God bless,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
87,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,074
They sent me another 7705 remote, which also doesn't work. I'm using a remote for the 8802, which works fine, but I had to buy it myself.
Doesn't work how? To enter "preset" remote codes from the .pdf Remote Code table? Or as a "learning remote" to copy functions directly from another remote? The AV7705 cannot do the latter; however, as the AV8802 is the former "flagship" model, it can do both.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Doesn't work how? To enter "preset" remote codes from the .pdf Remote Code table? Or as a "learning remote" to copy functions directly from another remote? The AV7705 cannot do the latter; however, as the AV8802 is the former "flagship" model, it can do both.
I know that the RC037SR, which comes with the 7705, is not a learning remote, but I can't even get it to work with preset codes. I tried all the codes for a Sony TV. I called Marantz and had a guy walk me through the steps, but no luck. He sent me a replacement. It has the same issue. I gave up and bought another 8802 remote (RC027SR). It works fine. FYI, I have owned a 7702 (excellent remote) but I sold it and bought the 7705. I also own an 8802 and an 8805, which are in other rooms. And I have a McIntosh MX122 in my home theater (which has a very similar remote). All but the remote for the 7705 work fine and are essentially interchangeable, except for a few odd functions, like HEOS.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a couple of questions about the setup options of this unit.

With the elevation speakers, what's actually happening within the different modes, Front and rear heights vs top fronts and rear fronts and top middle? I'm using top front and top rear, because of my on ceiling speakers, which means I can't use Auro 3d (Not that I'm concerned about that). Even though I have my ceiling speakers in the top front and top rear position, what would happen if I told that 7705 that I was using front heights and rear heights?

Recently, I made some changes in my speakers, going from Klipsch rf-82s to Emotiva's for the front (planning to add the c2 when they are back in stock), and adding a SVS 2000 pro to go along with a pair of HSU VTF-mk5. After going through the audyssey setup with the audyssey app, my trim's are -12 for the fronts and the subs. That's shouldn't be, right? My front's are powered by 3 Outlaw mono amps connected with balanced cables. I don't know what could cause that. From what I read, the trim's for one of the fronts should be around zero, right?

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
87,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,077

With the elevation speakers, what's actually happening within the different modes, Front and rear heights vs top fronts and rear fronts and top middle? I'm using top front and top rear, because of my on ceiling speakers, which means I can't use Auro 3d (Not that I'm concerned about that). Even though I have my ceiling speakers in the top front and top rear position, what would happen if I told that 7705 that I was using front heights and rear heights?

Recently, I made some changes in my speakers, going from Klipsch rf-82s to Emotiva's for the front (planning to add the c2 when they are back in stock), and adding a SVS 2000 pro to go along with a pair of HSU VTF-mk5. After going through the audyssey setup with the audyssey app, my trim's are -12 for the fronts and the subs. That's shouldn't be, right? My front's are powered by 3 Outlaw mono amps connected with balanced cables. I don't know what could cause that. From what I read, the trim's for one of the fronts should be around zero, right?

Thanks for any thoughts.
1. Give it a go and learn for yourself. ;)

I much prefer having the in-ceiling speakers configured as FH+RH so I can use the same configuration with Atmos/DTS:X/Auro 3D.

2. If you can't lower the gain on the Outlaw amps and the subs, you'll need to add 10dB attenuators ---> https://www.parts-express.com/in-line-xlr-attenuator-pad-10db--240-412

·
Registered
2,285 Posts

Thanks for any thoughts.

If the Outlaw Mono amps are the Model 2200 then the voltage gain appears to be about 27dB via the RCA's or XLR's. Outlaw specifies that it takes 1.7V to drive the amp to full output.

The attenuators noted in a post above are one way to obtain less gain and move the trim level up by 10dB. Keep in mind that unless the attenuators use 1% or better resistors the CMRR will suffer, which means less common mode noise will be removed by the differential amplifier at the input of your power amplifier.

Another method is to connect your AV7705 to your amplifiers using RCA cables. (Balanced cables are nice, but sometimes tradeoffs are required.) This will reduce the output of the AV7705 by 6dB at equivalent settings and will in turn increase the trim level by 6dB. The RCA outputs from the AV7705 should be able to provide the 1.7V to drive the Model 2200's to full output, if full output is ever required in your system. You may already have three spare RCA cables so this may be easy to try.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The good folks who repair and service Marantz down in Bangkok have informed me, one week to the day after receiving it, that it is playing Dolby Atmos now and they are returning the processor to me.
No info other than they said they have finished "editing and testing the HDMI board".
Not sure what that means, but looking forward to getting the repaired, working unit back into play.
Will report further, hopefully with great news.
Happy to have support,
God bless,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
87,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,080
1061 - 1080 of 1141 Posts