AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1141 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Guys,
I just rec'd back my Marantz AV 7705 from the distributor way down in Bangkok. They had it just a week and confirmed they were able to repair both atmos and dts:x HD codecs, they now play again.
It is too early to say for sure, but so far, everything is playing as new, sounds great. Back to the way things where when I first got it set up.
And so far as I know, the cost was totally covered under the warranty, so I am a happy camper again.
Thanks Marantz for standing behind your product!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Vendor
26,676 Posts
Hi Guys,
I just rec'd back my Marantz AV 7705 from the distributor way down in Bangkok. They had it just a week and confirmed they were able to repair both atmos and dts:x HD codecs, they now play again.
Excellent, if it is going to break, best to break under warranty........ ;) Hopefully she runs forever now.

·
Registered
288 Posts
1. Give it a go and learn for yourself. ;)

I much prefer having the in-ceiling speakers configured as FH+RH so I can use the same configuration with Atmos/DTS:X/Auro 3D. [/url]
Okay. Another, question. How useful is the VOD channel. I have an open channel on my 7 channel amp that I am using to power the surround back and height speakers. Should I bother using it to setup the VOD. Like I said before, I'm not terribly concerned with Auro 3D, but I wouldn't mind messing around with it.

If the Outlaw Mono amps are the Model 2200 then the voltage gain appears to be about 27dB via the RCA's or XLR's. Outlaw specifies that it takes 1.7V to drive the amp to full output.

Another method is to connect your AV7705 to your amplifiers using RCA cables. (Balanced cables are nice, but sometimes tradeoffs are required.) This will reduce the output of the AV7705 by 6dB at equivalent settings and will in turn increase the trim level by 6dB. The RCA outputs from the AV7705 should be able to provide the 1.7V to drive the Model 2200's to full output, if full output is ever required in your system. You may already have three spare RCA cables so this may be easy to try.
Aww man, I just checked out my trim levels. and realized that all the channels using xlr cables have trims around -12 and -11 and the RCAs are around -5 06 -6. I just bought the xlrs. Had I known I would have went with rcas, but I had always heard xlrs were better. Now what am I going to do with them when I switch.

·
Premium Member
87,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,085
Okay. Another, question. How useful is the VOD channel. I have an open channel on my 7 channel amp that I am using to power the surround back and height speakers. Should I bother using it to setup the VOD. Like I said before, I'm not terribly concerned with Auro 3D, but I wouldn't mind messing around with it.

Aww man, I just checked out my trim levels. and realized that all the channels using xlr cables have trims around -12 and -11 and the RCAs are around -5 06 -6. I just bought the xlrs. Had I known I would have went with rcas, but I had always heard xlrs were better. Now what am I going to do with them when I switch.
1. You mean the Top Surround or Voice of God (VOG) which is rarely ever mentioned by members using Auro 3D and one member who used to rave about it, no longer uses it.
2. XLR cables are generally only going to be a better choice if the cable length is > 10'.

·
Registered
288 Posts
1. You mean the Top Surround or Voice of God (VOG) which is rarely ever mentioned by members using Auro 3D and one member who used to rave about it, no longer uses it.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I must've been thinking about renting a movie from prime or VUDU or something. But, it's as I figured. Actually, I couldn't imaging Auro 3d being used much, let alone the VOG channel. That's why didn't bother setting it up. Well, that and I don't like the idea of giving up a sub pre-out.

2. XLR cables are generally only going to be a better choice if the cable length is > 10'.

I was at a point where I needed cabling anyway, so I figured-people say xlrs are the better of the 2, so I went with it. I do like the different colors, makes it easy to figure out which channel I'm working with. I do wish I had known that the xlrs would mess with my trims in that way, cause when I switch to RCAs, I'm going to have cables that can't be used anywhere else.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ever since I upgraded from my Emotiva UMC200 to a Marantz AV7705, I felt the bass didn't hit as hard. It was good, but a lot more timid. Finally figured out why. Found the "Loudness Managment" setting (not sure how I missed it before) that is on by default. Turned that off, and the bass slam came back.

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
Hi Brad1138, try as I might, I cannot find any such Loudness Mgmt setting on my Marantz AV7705.
Can you please tell us where you found it? Something like that should NOT be on, IMHO.
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
87,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,089
^^^^^^^^^
Hi Brad1138, try as I might, I cannot find any such Loudness Mgmt setting on my Marantz AV7705.
Can you please tell us where you found it? Something like that should NOT be on, IMHO.
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne
Loudness Management - p. 174 Owner's manual.

·
Registered
262 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne
Setup, Audio, Surround Parameter, Loudness Management.

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks Jdsmoothie, who would have thought I had to be playing a disc to be able to get Loudness Mgmt. on the menu??????? Found it. Thanks.
BUT
It is a moot point now as my sound is totally screwed up, and gone again!!!!!!!
Got my repaired AV7705 processor back on the 26th of June, and have been playing, enjoying all the ATMOS movies I could since. Until tonight, movie night with the family, put on Mockingjay 2 to finish the series and there was HORRIBLE STATIC in the surround channels, in fact, so bad, that even a DD 5.1 movie we had to watch and listen to it in stereo.
Then testing things out further when my disappointed family were gone, I put on a TrueHD Multi movie, with ATMOS and once again, NO SOUND. Same with DTS-HD MA movies, NO SOUND, exactly the same as before, except that the other codecs are total static, can only listen in Stereo, that is all. BEFORE, when it was broken I could at least play DD 5.1 channels.
I am seriously disgusted.
Hope you are having a better weekend than I am.
God bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
163 Posts
Update:
Worked great 8 days.
Last night, I was so disgusted with it all, when I went to bed there was static in the surrounds, NO SOUND for the HD (Dolby TrueHD Multi, ie ATMOS and DTS-HD MA) codecs and could only listen to a movie in stereo.
This evening, there is NO INTERNET, NO SAT TV (both fiber optic) and so I am using a mobile hotspot on my phone to send this. Nothing else to do but check out the movie sound situation again, and tonight I was able to get sound on ATMOS and DTS:X, both the HD codecs but they were totally overpowered by the LOUD static coming from the surrounds, EVEN WITH the respective amps turned off!!!!!!
The Marantz AV7705 is going totally nuts!!!!!!
No sound for ATMOS and DTS:X is what was wrong before when I sent it for repair. But never had that static mess for the DD 5.1 before. No idea where things will stand tomorrow.
I know, these are first world problems, and I am indeed happy that our family is healthy and safe!!!!!!
BUT it is annoying as all get out!!!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Sounds like you need a a new one as the "repair" failed.Sounds like you have the same exact problem as before. I just got mine back a few days ago with a new HDMI board installed, so far it is working without issues. They even fixed my Heos problem so now I can listen to that instead of my Shield TV's chromecast for local file steaming. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Tex_Thai

·
Registered
163 Posts
There was a new FW update today, I was HOPEFUL it would fix my problem.
NOPE.
Been resetting the machine, finally the craziness seems to have stopped, instead of LOUD STATIC in the surround speakers, even when their respective amps have been turned off!!!!! and crapped up ATMOS sound, now we are back to where we were before, NO SOUND at all for HD codecs, ATMOS has left the building!!!!!
thehun, I am following your progress closely, I hope and like you said, fingers crossed, you are in great shape now for the distant future. Hope it all works great for you. Can I ask, how do you know they changed out the HDMI board? Did they tell you that or are you just assuming there is such a thing and that is what they changed?
Wondering because they seem to have just resoldered connections on my board when they recently "repaired" it. So I am asking them if they have an actual HDMI board on hand to change mine out?
IF NOT, I would like to keep hold of the unit and at least have some HT, even if just in stereo for the time being until they can get a board in for replacement, BEFORE I send this puppy back to them again for repair.
Waiting for an answer to that, but not hopeful that someone there will even understand my English well enough to answer. Perhaps they will and be understanding.
My Marantz MM7025 amp has a channel not outputting the same level as the other, but out of warranty now, so I will likely have to send BOTH back for repairs at the same time. FRUSTRATING.
Will keep you guys informed, God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
246 Posts
AV7702mk2 upgrade to AV7705 Audible sound difference?

Hi All,

I have an AV7702MK2 that does not support the Audyssey app. Looking at the av7705. How much of a sound improvement will this be over 7702MK2?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ever since I upgraded from my Emotiva UMC200 to a Marantz AV7705, I felt the bass didn't hit as hard. It was good, but a lot more timid. Finally figured out why. Found the "Loudness Managment" setting (not sure how I missed it before) that is on by default. Turned that off, and the bass slam came back.
That has happened to me over and over again. I think it is set to on for default after I reset or re-calibrate. Also, need to check setting for LFE and double bass in bass section and 2-channel section.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Marantz AV7705 and MM7025 repair saga continues.
The great news is that the distributor down in Bangkok who will attempt another repair did understand my English and has confirmed that they do have an HDMI board in stock for the AV7705.
He said to send it and the MM7025 in separate boxes (of course) to them for repair.
Man I HATE to do this again.
AND I REALLY HATE to ask for help from my wife, she who must not be disturbed. Busy woman but I cannot disassemble and pack them up, let alone put them back in place without her help. A LOT of help.
And of course, this allows her to ask yet once again why people with $200 HTIB systems don't have any problems like this??????
OUCH.
Once again, will be without my HT Babies.
AND
I REALLY Need this repair to be successful, not a one week repair then fail like this last time.
Will keep you updated, trying to find the heart to start pulling them out once again, maybe tomorrow.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Marantz AV7705 and MM7025 repair saga continues.

Sent both of them off today so my home theater is crippled.
Can still get on the Internet, and can watch broadcast movies. Have you seen the rubbish that is on TV these days????
Anyway, praying the two boxed babies get there safely and get fixed really/properly/correctly this time.
And back safely and all in a decent time frame. Last time was a good turn around time, so hoping
for that again this time.
Here is hoping, will keep you guys informed.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
Peter M, thanks very much for your post above and actually it is a comfort.
None of us buy a quality brand product of any sort of the level of Marantz and expect trouble and that it won't work well.
We are all hopeful of good times ahead for a long time to come.
Appreciate you and all who are cheering for me to get this sorted out well and quickly.
And back to enjoying movies and music (sports, games, internet and tv too) in the good old home theater.
All the best,
God Bless,
Wayne

1081 - 1100 of 1141 Posts