AVS Forum banner

3101 - 3120 of 3152 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
It just so happens that $30 and $40 and $50 match the price and feature points of the current Roku line
No, they don't. The $40 Roku Premiere supports 4K. The new $40 Fire TV stick does not support 4K. The $30 Roku Express does not support HDR or 4K. The new $30 Fire TV stick supports HDR but not 4K (strange decision).

·
Registered
491 Posts
No, they don't. The $40 Roku Premiere supports 4K. The new $40 Fire TV stick does not support 4K. The $30 Roku Express does not support HDR or 4K. The new $30 Fire TV stick supports HDR but not 4K (strange decision).
...and none of those Roku's supports USB ethernet (all of the Fires will), and only the SS+ supports dual-band WiFi (all of the Fire's will), the Fire TV's can transcode audio (aside from the FTV Lite) but none of the Roku's can, etc etc.

Its not about each FireTV model being an exact match feature for feature or function for function relative to each Roku model at each price point (even Roku itself sells both the Premiere and Express+ for $40 after all) but rather matching some specific functionality levels of each price point (e.g. No TV volume controls or DD transcoding at the lowest end and 4K/HDR w/dual band WiFi at the highest, with the middle being somewhere between (just like with Rokus)).

They are competing, after all, and some functionality differentiation/separation is inevitable given their differing hardware/software platforms.

And assuming that Amazon routinely discounts its FireTV line going forward as it has in the past (likely $5-10 off with a code at checkout), the negative differences are diminished and the positive differences enhanced.

·
Registered
353 Posts
And assuming that Amazon routinely discounts its FireTV line going forward as it has in the past (likely $5-10 off with a code at checkout), the negative differences are diminished and the positive differences enhanced.
That is the most interesting part - one could see the Lite being discounted often to $24.99 or less! For Amazon, is all about being a presence in the consumers home ;-)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Roku is embarrassing, just now doing Dolby Vision, when Firestick has been doing it since 2018!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,106
Roku is embarrassing, just now doing Dolby Vision, when Firestick has been doing it since 2018!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yet Roku still has a larger market share. Not sure that it is embarrassing since in 2018 the vast majority of people did not have DV capable TVs. Plsu having DV in a streamer results in a higher cost because of the licensing fess paid to Dolby.

Now of course I would rather have a DV option on my ROku products, like my ROku 4K streaming sticks. But it looks like DV is only on the new Roku Ultra this year.
Which I might pick up if it goes on sale for half price. Otherwise I'll keep using my 2019 Ultra and 4K Streaming Sticks.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yet Roku still has a larger market share. Not sure that it is embarrassing since in 2018 the vast majority of people did not have DV capable TVs.
Or, if you desired Dolby Vision you could purchase a TCL Roku TV capable of HDR and Dolby Vision on the Roku OS platform.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,108
Or, if you desired Dolby Vision you could purchase a TCL Roku TV capable of HDR and Dolby Vision on the Roku OS platform.
Yes. Both of my TCL ROku TVs have DV capability. The UI experience is like the Roku 4K Streaming sticks. Which is fine it just has to spend a few seconds downloading some apps since it doesn't have the higher amount of storage the Ultra has. To keep more apps stored locally.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Reactions: aaronwt

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,110
Benchmarking the new Fire TV Stick Lite & Fire TV Stick 3 against every other Fire TV model
I guess with the minor processing improvements with the new SoC, there was no reason to update the 4K Fire TV stick? Since the SoC in the new sticks are only on par or a little better than the 2018 SoC used in the 4K Fire TV stick. But then I've also not really had any complaints with the performance of the FireTV 4K sticks I've been using the last two years. They have performed well.

Although I doi need to check one of mine to see if the power supply has an issue. I do have a spare 4K stick I got last year when they were only $25, during the Holidays.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've got five 4KSticks in the house, despite only having three TVs.

I wonder if AV1 played a factor in Amazon not releasing a new 4KStick this year.
I’ll take the extra ones if you don’t need them. 😂

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does anyone know if the Fire TV Stick 4K remote will control the volume and mute on a Seiki TV? Seiki used to be sold by Sears. I currently have a Roku Ultra connected that TV and would like to be able to mute Youtube ads without having to grab another remote. I use a 4K on my main TV and prefer to use the Amazon remote over my Harmony when streaming with the 4K, thought I would pick up the new HD one if the remote is compatible with the TV. Nothing wrong with the Roku, just like the Fire TV Stick better.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Does anyone know if the Fire TV Stick 4K remote will control the volume and mute on a Seiki TV?
Have you tried your FTV4K on your Seiki TV? Seiki is listed as a TV Brand in the CHANGE TV menu under EQUIPMENT CONTROL in the Fire TV menu settings. Whether or not the IR Group Code included will control your specific model is an unknown until you connect the FTV4K and give it a try.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you tried your FTV4K on your Seiki TV? Seiki is listed as a TV Brand in the CHANGE TV menu under EQUIPMENT CONTROL in the Fire TV menu settings. Whether or not the IR Group Code included will control your specific model is an unknown until you connect the FTV4K and give it a try.
I just tried it and it recognized the Seiki and controlled volume the way I want. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The Roku Channel is Now Available on Fire TV

I was hoping that this would happen eventually on Fire TV with the recent announcement that Roku Channel as a standalone app would be available for Android and iOS devices. I am actually surprised that it happened this quickly. No Roku Channel content integration with Fire TV search with initial testing, but a nice addition / start.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Makes sense. One less reason to buy a Roku instead of a Fire TV device. Still no Vudu on FTV though.
How about still no HBO Max and Peacock TV 'officially' on FTV? If Roku and Amazon can work a deal...

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I heard Vudu was sold to Fandango, but nothing about any "transitioning away." I use MA but it doesn't import all movies from Vudu.

3101 - 3120 of 3152 Posts