AVS Forum banner

3121 - 3140 of 3152 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
How about still no HBO Max and Peacock TV 'officially' on FTV? If Roku and Amazon can work a deal...
Yeah, that's a joke. Especially since they both have the basic HBO and NBC apps. I wonder how many more subscribers they'd have if they agreed to be on the 2 largest streaming platforms.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I wonder how many more subscribers they'd have if they agreed to be on the 2 largest streaming platforms.
They would at least have a chance at 80 million more users. But, what do any of us know?? :rolleyes: At least NBC decided that 40 million Roku users would be helpful and got Peacock TV on Roku.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I heard Vudu was sold to Fandango, but nothing about any "transitioning away." I use MA but it doesn't import all movies from Vudu.
There will be some sort of transition...according to Fandango - “Our priority is to ensure that Vudu customers and partners are given the highest level of service during this time of transition,”...what that transition will look like and when it will occur who knows, your guess is as good as mine I suppose but since VUDU was acquired by Fandango and not the other way around (after all it was an acquisition not a merger) that should give some indication as to how it will go.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
There's also some degree of transition, but that does not mean Vudu is going away.
It makes little sense for Fandango to indefinitely continue to support 2 streaming apps going forward. So my guess, and again it’s just a guess and as I said your guess is as good as mine, is that one of the apps will be transitioned away...my guess would be that the acquiring company rather than the company that was acquired will win that decision. They have been pretty clear that there will be a transition, just not right away. Personally I’ve never been a huge fan of the VUDU app itself anyway. As long as whatever app they settle on going forward has full 4k HDR/DV and ATMOS support I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I'm a voice in the wilderness, but when a small outfit buys a bigger one, it makes the most sense to become the bigger one, trading on the goodwill of the bigger one. To do otherwise is to let ego drive yourself into a ditch.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I'm a voice in the wilderness, but when a small outfit buys a bigger one, it makes the most sense to become the bigger one, trading on the goodwill of the bigger one. To do otherwise is to let ego drive yourself into a ditch.
True and Vudu is larger with buttons on a lot of streamers. People forget the smaller US Air did a leveraged buyout of American Airlines several years ago and only American now flys....

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Here's something interesting you may not know. Vudu was acquired by Fandango Media, which is 70% owned by NBCUniversal and 30% owned by Warner Media. NBCUniversal is owned by Comcast and Warner Media is owned by AT&T. Is it just me, or are Comcast and AT&T basically buying up all the content out there AND the streaming services that deliver it, while also having significant market share as ISPs? Aside from Netflix and Disney, who else is there?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You certainly could be right. It's all conjecture at this point....

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,131
I hope they keep the Vudu name. But I've been using Vudu for thirteen years now. I've rarely used Fandango.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I have the second Gen Fire Cube and for some reason lost Dolby Vision from Disney Plus, in fact not even regular HDR showing up. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
VUDU and Movies Anywhere let you select and view individual extra features.

Prime rolls them all together into one long film, which I've never liked.

But worst of all, Fandango doesn't even have the extra features!

And some films purchased directly through VUDU don't share (via MA), with MA, Prime and Fandango.

So I hope that Fandango keeps VUDU going.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I haven’t played with it much.....The Roku Channel App. for firetv which was recently released.
Is it all old material...do they make original material...

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I had to restart the Cube to get Dolby Vision back on Disney+ but that was strange. HDR and Dolby Vision just disappeared till I did a restart.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I haven’t played with it much.....The Roku Channel App. for firetv which was recently released.
Is it all old material...do they make original material...
No. No original content. There has been chatter that they are exploring that as an addition.

The Roku Channel, Roku's free streaming service that offers more than 100,000 ad-supported titles and 115 live TV channels, is now available to Amazon Fire TV users.
Those 100,000 ad-supported titles are licensed content. Some of the LIVE TV channels are useful as News / Music supplements. When they get into 'negotiations' with content providers (i.e. Peacock, FOX, Warnermedia) some of it is over subscription fees and ad revenue splits, some of it is over Roku requesting these content providers ante up some of their past catalog of content for Roku to place on THE ROKU CHANNEL.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I had to restart the Cube to get Dolby Vision back on Disney+ but that was strange. HDR and Dolby Vision just disappeared till I did a restart.
Possible that the 'restart' reset the handshake between your Cube, HDMI cable and Display.

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
The fastest way to do a new HDMI handshake is simply to switch your AVR to a different source and back. Much faster than rebooting the Cube.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Is there ATMOS audio support for Apple TV+ content on the FTV4K Stick? I am getting Dolby Vision Picture support, but it seems to be only 5.1 audio. Running the same content through TCL Roku TV and I get Dolby Vision Picture and ATMOS audio support. Just wondering.

3121 - 3140 of 3152 Posts