AVS Forum banner

3541 - 3560 of 3635 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I can get 24p content to play fine. It is the 23.976 that has issues. I don't think my 4k stick is doing 23.976, only 24p.
For you, I hooked up my FTV 4k to my Oppo. I tried a few things. The latest Doctor Who gave me 25p. Tenet gave me 23.976 (see attached pic). And well, everything else I tried gave me 23.976. If you know of a true 24p show or movie on Prime for me to check, let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
For you, I hooked up my FTV 4k to my Oppo. I tried a few things. The latest Doctor Who gave me 25p. Tenet gave me 23.976 (see attached pic). And well, everything else I tried gave me 23.976. If you know of a true 24p show or movie on Prime for me to check, let me know.
Thanks. I'll try Tenet. It maybe that the fire stick is outputting 23.976 but all my devices only show that as 24p and they don't differentiate between the two when they provide video information.

EDIT: whoops, tenet isn't included with prime. I'll have to find something else.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Thanks. I'll try Tenet. It maybe that the fire stick is outputting 23.976 but all my devices only show that as 24p and they don't differentiate between the two when they provide video information.

EDIT: whoops, tenet isn't included with prime. I'll have to find something else.
Yeah, sorry, it's one I own and was at the top of my queue, so that's what I took a pic of. But nearly everything else I tried was Prime and output at 23.976 like Sylvie's Love and Expanse.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yeah, sorry, it's one I own and was at the top of my queue, so that's what I took a pic of. But nearly everything else I tried was Prime and output at 23.976 like Sylvie's Love and Expanse.
I have tried the expanse before. I'll double check but I guess that means my equipment just indicates 24p for both 24p and 23.976. Arg!!!

It looks like the system xray overlay will be helpful to me too: Developer Tools Menu (Fire TV) | Amazon Fire TV

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have tried the expanse before. I'll double check but I guess that means my equipment just indicates 24p for both 24p and 23.976. Arg!!!

It looks like the system xray overlay will be helpful to me too: Developer Tools Menu (Fire TV) | Amazon Fire TV
Yeah, devices are weird with framerate. I also have the Chromecast with Google TV and it allows you to pick one framerate to output if you want (it doesn't have the matching feature like the FTV4k). When hooked up directly to my TV, it has a 4k 24 option, but it only outputs at 23.967. But when I hook it up to the Oppo, it gives me a 4k SMPTE option which actually outputs at 24. So I guess it all depends on your display.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
From this post:

Amazon Prime/IMDb TV

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (added 6-22-20)

Bewitched (2005) (added 7-15-20)

Vamps (added 7-17-20)

Anaconda (added 7-17-20)

"Ghostland" Prime Video Germany (added 7-15-20)

Collide Prime Video Germany (added &-25-20)

Killer's Bodyquard Prime Video Germany (added 9-6-20)

Mom and Dad Prime Video Germany (added 9-18-20)

If you're still setup to test, maybe you test and verify those that are available?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts

Another way to find out what display modes are available for apps that do framerate matching is to check the Kodi white list option. In this list you will see all modes that are available on the device in combination with the current display connected. It will also show the exact refresh rates, differentiating between integer and non-integer rates. But if things haven’t changed, you will have to sideload Kodi on Fire TV devices.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yeah, devices are weird with framerate. I also have the Chromecast with Google TV and it allows you to pick one framerate to output if you want (it doesn't have the matching feature like the FTV4k). When hooked up directly to my TV, it has a 4k 24 option, but it only outputs at 23.967. But when I hook it up to the Oppo, it gives me a 4k SMPTE option which actually outputs at 24. So I guess it all depends on your display.
I used the developer system X-ray and it does appear that the fire stick 4k is properly switching between 23.976 and 24P output based on content. The rest of my system just considers 23.976 and 24p to be the same thing and only indicate 24p. This makes it hard to evaluate my devices other than the Fire Stick but at least I know for sure now I cannot rely on my AVR or TV to distinguish between the two output rates.

Reactions: T-Bone and puddy77

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Just one. See responses in your quote below.
From this post:

Amazon Prime/IMDb TV

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (added 6-22-20) Only available in Hulu or Netflix for me, or purchase.

Bewitched (2005) (added 7-15-20) Only Plex/Crackle

Vamps (added 7-17-20) 23.976 IMDbTV

Anaconda (added 7-17-20) Purchase only

"Ghostland" Prime Video Germany (added 7-15-20) Not in US that I can find.

Collide Prime Video Germany (added &-25-20) Purchase only

Killer's Bodyquard Prime Video Germany (added 9-6-20) Hitman's Bodyguard? If so, purchase only.

Mom and Dad Prime Video Germany (added 9-18-20) Hulu or purchase.

If you're still setup to test, maybe you test and verify those that are available?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Another way to find out what display modes are available for apps that do framerate matching is to check the Kodi white list option. In this list you will see all modes that are available on the device in combination with the current display connected. It will also show the exact refresh rates, differentiating between integer and non-integer rates. But if things haven’t changed, you will have to sideload Kodi on Fire TV devices.
When I was using the system x-ray overlay, i did some testing with kodi too as I knew I could control the output rate in the Kodi settings. Everything seems to be working properly.

Reactions: KingNothing81

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Man I'm waiting for my Fire TV update for my Cube but it's getting to with every story I keep seeing on how awesome it is.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, that one. I keep seeing articles and YouTube videos on it and it looks awesome.

I also like it. I think if you want an UI that focuses on content and that aggregates the content of many other apps, the Fire TV interface is really the best out there. And with the redesign I think they made some nice improvements, like the app peek feature.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
I also like it. I think if you want an UI that focuses on content and that aggregates the content of many other apps, the Fire TV interface is really the best out there. And with the redesign I think they made some nice improvements, like the app peek feature.
Oh man, no fair. How long do you think it gets out to everyone? I have the Fire Cube Gen 2. I hope soon.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Lots of recent posts about 4K stick matching frame rate to content. I just wanted to point out that it's not just the content, but the streaming app has to support frame rate matching. Would be great if the stick could simply detect the content stream and match framerate, regardless of app.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Oh man, no fair. How long do you think it gets out to everyone? I have the Fire Cube Gen 2. I hope soon.

The first devices that got it were the new 2020 Fire TV Stick and the Stick Lite. If Amazon will continue to roll out the new UI from “new to old”, the 2nd gen Cubes should be the next on the list. (y)

3541 - 3560 of 3635 Posts