AVS Forum banner

3801 - 3820 of 3947 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
How are you on 6.2.8? I've been stuck on 6.2.7.7 forever it seems. Checked again today and no update.

Anyone else have a version of OS 6 newer than 6.2.7.7?
I believe that OS 6.2.8 is when you get the new Home Page UI.

I have four (4) FTV4K devices and they are all on 6.2.7.7. The update will show up eventually.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
How are you on 6.2.8? I've been stuck on 6.2.7.7 forever it seems. Checked again today and no update.

Anyone else have a version of OS 6 newer than 6.2.7.7?
Be careful what you wish for. One of my FireTV Stick 4Ks updated to 6.2.8 last night. The previous UI was not very good but somewhat useable. I didn't think they could make it any worse...I was wrong. I have experimented with alternative launchers/home pages in the past but never felt the need to implement. Now I will have no choice. Yes, IMO the new UI IS that bad!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. One of my FireTV Stick 4Ks updated to 6.2.8 last night. The previous UI was not very good but somewhat useable. I didn't think they could make it any worse...I was wrong. I have experimented with alternative launchers/home pages in the past but never felt the need to implement. Now I will have no choice. Yes, IMO the new UI IS that bad!
This is what I feared. The preview videos did not look promising. This is one of the reasons I decided to switch to Shield for primary viewing.

·
Registered
22,352 Posts
^^^
When a roll-out of new software takes this much longer than expected its a bad sign - things are going wrong and lots of support calls from people who can't figure it out.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I like it. I launch, arrow down once, and there are all mybapps. Main page looks cleaner.

The UI us still crap because it does not present some items available on netflix and Disney+ when select "more ways to watch" option on a show/movie. That forces me to go to the apps directly... Bypassing all of their adware crap trying to get me to spend money.

-T

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I like it. I launch, arrow down once, and there are all mybapps. Main page looks cleaner.

The UI us still crap because it does not present some items available on netflix and Disney+ when select "more ways to watch" option on a show/movie. That forces me to go to the apps directly... Bypassing all of their adware crap trying to get me to spend money.

-T
Different strokes for different folks for sure. I have several issues with the new UI. The first one is the app row itself. Looks like you can only have 6 apps on the top app row. I have way more than 6 apps that I use regularly and the previous UI allowed many more apps on the app row. The next two rows, “Next Up For You” and “Sponsored” appear to be basically useless so you have to click down at least three times to get to the next useful row which is “Recently Used Apps”. Then the next two rows “Sponsored: Apps & Games” and “Free to me” are again useless and then finally you get to another couple of semi-useful rows “Recently Watched” and “On Now”. So basically for me the new UI is an abomination...LOL

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Different strokes for different folks for sure. I have several issues with the new UI. The first one is the app row itself. Looks like you can only have 6 apps on the top app row. I have way more than 6 apps that I use regularly and the previous UI allowed many more apps on the app row. The next two rows, “Next Up For You” and “Sponsored” appear to be basically useless so you have to click down at least three times to get to the next useful row which is “Recently Used Apps”. Then the next two rows “Sponsored: Apps & Games” and “Free to me” are again useless and then finally you get to another couple of semi-useful rows “Recently Watched” and “On Now”. So basically for me the new UI is an abomination...LOL
talk about first world problems, an extra 3 clicks. 🤪

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
talk about first world problems, an extra 3 clicks. 🤪
LOL...no doubt. But honestly, bad UI ‘s are a pet peeve of mine. They took a bad one and made it much worse. No worries, I’m back to using a custom launcher....problem solved. Launch Manager and Wolf Launcher seem to be a a pretty good combo...at least until Amazon finds a way to break it again...

·
Registered
22,352 Posts
My main gripe is the "recently viewed" column being buried several clicks down. I use that all the time to get back to whatever series I'm watching.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
My main gripe is the "recently viewed" column being buried several clicks down. I use that all the time to get back to whatever series I'm watching.
Clearly the new UI is more about Amazon pushing content and apps than about usability for the customer.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Well, these generally negative reviews of the new UI are disappointing. I wasn't necessarily looking forward to a new UI and I had no major problems with the current UI. At least it's fairly responsive. I was just curious if 6.2.8 was a newer update (same UI) that some have had for a while that for some reason I didn't get. But pushing sponsored content ahead of what users use most, and forcing more button presses to get to what users use most, is super annoying.

I guess there's no way to prevent the update??

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Still waiting on my update.

Now I do wonder when we'll ever get Atmos on the Netflix and Apple TV apps? Mystery why it hasn't come to the 4k Firestick? My Chromecast w/ Google TV, now has Atmos on all my capable apps except Movies Anywhere!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Still waiting on my update.

Now I do wonder when we'll ever get Atmos on the Netflix and Apple TV apps? Mystery why it hasn't come to the 4k Firestick?
Probably never. I'm pretty sure if the 4K stick was going to get it, it would have happened by now. I think Amazon's plan is to get people to upgrade their hardware.

-T

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Probably never. I'm pretty sure if the 4K stick was going to get it, it would have happened by now. I think Amazon's plan is to get people to upgrade their hardware.

-T
I know Netflix has Atmos on the cube, I'm curious if Apple TV has Atmos on the Cube?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Probably never. I'm pretty sure if the 4K stick was going to get it, it would have happened by now.
What are you talking about? The update is still rolling out to various devices, including the 4K stick. They said it would be early 2021 and it's still only March 31st.

I think Amazon's plan is to get people to upgrade their hardware.
To what? Amazon's only 4K alternative to the 2018 Fire TV Stick 4K is the 2019 Fire TV Cube.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
What are you talking about? The update is still rolling out to various devices, including the 4K stick. They said it would be early 2021 and it's still only March 31st.

To what? Amazon's only 4K alternative to the 2018 Fire TV Stick 4K is the 2019 Fire TV Cube.
My "probably never" comment was related to a question wondering when, if ever, the fire stick 4K would get Netflix Atmos. it's been a long time and it doesn't have it yet. So my response is will probably never get Netflix atmos. So yeah, that's what I'm talking about :)

As for upgrading to newer Amazon hardware, sure, there's a cube 4K out there right now. Amazon just developed a new stick that's not 4K that does Netflix Atmos. I'm betting that the next 4K stick, and I think there will be one, is going to do Netflix atmos

-T

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
That has always been the focus of any UI on an Amazon streaming device.
LOL..no doubt about that. But the new UI design takes it to a whole new level. They purposely made your personal app tiles much smaller than anything else on the home screen (much smaller than in the previous UI) and made it more difficult and cumbersome to get to your personal content. While clearly they have always tried to highlight their own content and apps this new UI makes it even more blatant.

3801 - 3820 of 3947 Posts