AVS Forum banner

3821 - 3840 of 3947 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Again, any way to turn off the update for the new UI? Are there some domains or IP addresses we can block at the router level?

·
Registered
537 Posts
For the most part, upgrading the version of Fire OS on a Fire TV device would not add significant new features or capabilities. The biggest exception to that, which I’m aware of, is support for Dolby Atmos audio in Netflix, which is currently only supported on Fire OS 7 devices. It’s assumed that if the Fire TV Stick 4K is updated to Fire OS 7, it will gain Dolby Atmos support in Netflix, which would be a significant perk.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My fs4k updated. That small line on top is your stuff. All the rest is garbage basically. Your first 6 apps show...that’s it. 6.2.8.0
EBB8256D-290C-4F85-BD12-C56977941C56.jpeg

Reactions: dwaleke

·
Registered
325 Posts
Videos from the World Superbike site running through a browser on my FireTV Stick 4K have a lot of stuttering. This happens with both Silk and Firefox. No other applications have this issue. I have an ethernet connection with slightly greater than 250 Mb/s as shown on an internet speed app. When I go to the same site on my laptop using Firefox the videos play flawlessly. They are both fed by the same router. Any suggestions or are the browsers on the stick terrible? A better browser that actually works? Would a Cube work better by having a faster processor? I have the option of casting my laptop directly to my TV or running an HDMI cable to my AVR, usually prefer to use the AVR.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My Firestick 4K updated yesterday. I didn't find the refresh nearly as intuitive to navigate as the original layout. I also have the Fire Recast DVR which uses the Firestick as an interface, and it took me a lengthy minute or two to locate the DVR contents as it wasn't immediately evident as in the former layout. And while everything streamed just fine either from the stick or from the Recast, I noticed that the Recast screen has changed, some for the better (with more information on the recording) and some for the worse (no time designation where you are in the show you're viewing. You get the timeline as before but with no time readout present; I don't like that AT ALL).

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
new UI isn't as bad as I feared. For me it seems the only impact is the app row where you select what shows on it and the order and it doesn't change. big + for that improvement. Everything else seems similar for me but I always use the apps (even the prime app) on the stick and I don't really scroll through the home screen.

·
Registered
22,352 Posts
My Firestick 4K updated yesterday. I didn't find the refresh nearly as intuitive to navigate as the original layout. I also have the Fire Recast DVR which uses the Firestick as an interface, and it took me a lengthy minute or two to locate the DVR contents as it wasn't immediately evident as in the former layout. And while everything streamed just fine either from the stick or from the Recast, I noticed that the Recast screen has changed, some for the better (with more information on the recording) and some for the worse (no time designation where you are in the show you're viewing. You get the timeline as before but with no time readout present; I don't like that AT ALL).
Here, the direction arrow button commands no longer work as skip F/B navigation in a DVR recording. Really annoying.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Videos from the World Superbike site running through a browser on my FireTV Stick 4K have a lot of stuttering. This happens with both Silk and Firefox. No other applications have this issue. I have an ethernet connection with slightly greater than 250 Mb/s as shown on an internet speed app. When I go to the same site on my laptop using Firefox the videos play flawlessly. They are both fed by the same router. Any suggestions or are the browsers on the stick terrible? A better browser that actually works? Would a Cube work better by having a faster processor? I have the option of casting my laptop directly to my TV or running an HDMI cable to my AVR, usually prefer to use the AVR.
I've had streaming issues with both Silk and Firefox with some sites, with Silk being more reliable. Looks like these browsers weren't really made for streaming on this device.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here, the direction arrow button commands no longer work as skip F/B navigation in a DVR recording. Really annoying.
Has anyone else had this problem with the new interface? When the Recast was first introduced, Amazon said they were working on a commercial skip feature. I didn't think that would ever be implemented, probably due to objections from advertisers, and guess what - nearly 2 1/2 years later and no commercial skip feature. Now they take away the ability to skip forward and backward in a recording? Did they really take this away or just change which button to push? If they did take it away, I agree - really annoying.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry if this is a repeat question but how can I tell if I can view 4K content in Hulu app? I searched but wasn't able to find an answer.

I have a Fire 4K stick plugged directly into my LG C6. What settings do I need to enter into the Display settings to have 4K show up on the Hulu app? Because I know some of their original content is available in 4K but when I check everything seem to be in 1080p only.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Sorry if this is a repeat question but how can I tell if I can view 4K content in Hulu app? I searched but wasn't able to find an answer.

I have a Fire 4K stick plugged directly into my LG C6. What settings do I need to enter into the Display settings to have 4K show up on the Hulu app? Because I know some of their original content is available in 4K but when I check everything seem to be in 1080p only.
Make sure your fire TV 4k stick settings, under display and sounds, under video resolution, is set to auto (up to 4K ultra HD).

Are you able to get any 4K content at all on any of the other streaming services with your fire stick 4k?

Hulu does not offer hdr, so as long as your fire stick 4k is set the output 4K then you should see a small 4K badge on the Hulu program with you first selected to see the banner of information. I think it's called handmaiden tales is one such example.

-T

·
Registered
22,352 Posts
Has anyone else had this problem with the new interface? When the Recast was first introduced, Amazon said they were working on a commercial skip feature. I didn't think that would ever be implemented, probably due to objections from advertisers, and guess what - nearly 2 1/2 years later and no commercial skip feature. Now they take away the ability to skip forward and backward in a recording? Did they really take this away or just change which button to push? If they did take it away, I agree - really annoying.
To be clear, what's missing is the 30 sec FF and 10 sec RW that the direction arrows used to provide. I still get the same functionality using FF and RW commands.

·
Registered
206 Posts
To be clear, what's missing is the 30 sec FF and 10 sec RW that the direction arrows used to provide. I still get the same functionality using FF and RW commands.
I can live with that - just glad they didn't completely remove the functionality. However, I have no idea why they needed to disable the arrow keys.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Read back a few pages to the instructions on how to access the "hidden menu" in order to get the 4K video settings. I have an LG E6, and using "Auto" didn't get me 4K. I had to use the hidden menu to find a 4K setting that worked, but it's there if you access it. (I don't remember the exact process to access the hidden menu or I'd tell you right here. But it's back a couple of pages.)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
One thing I am not happy with in the new layout is that the "recently watched" row which used to be just below the top row of "my apps," is now about the sixth row down and does not contain as many recently watched shows. Is there any way to change the orders of the rows, similar to how you can change the order of your favorite apps????

Your Obedient Servant
SMK

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
One thing I am not happy with in the new layout is that the "recently watched" row which used to be just below the top row of "my apps," is now about the sixth row down and does not contain as many recently watched shows. Is there any way to change the orders of the rows, similar to how you can change the order of your favorite apps????
I noticed the same after the update. Why RECENTLY WATCHED would be anywhere but the top row is baffling. Same thing with PRIME VIDEO CHANNELS row that you have subscriptions with. After the update it was buried twelve (12) rows down. I have noticed that both rows seemed to have moved up after some use in the last few days. Don't know if this might be tied to some sort of usage activity.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
For the most part, upgrading the version of Fire OS on a Fire TV device would not add significant new features or capabilities. The biggest exception to that, which I’m aware of, is support for Dolby Atmos audio in Netflix, which is currently only supported on Fire OS 7 devices. It’s assumed that if the Fire TV Stick 4K is updated to Fire OS 7, it will gain Dolby Atmos support in Netflix, which would be a significant perk.
I read the same on AFTVNews and was disappointed. I was sure that either in this discussion thread or in the Fire Cube thread I asked an owner almost a year ago what OS version they were on to get ATMOS and they reported they were on OS version 6.xx.xx on a Fire Cube and had ATMOS support on Netflix. Perhaps they were incorrect and all 2nd Gen Fire Cubes were released with OS 7 version. If OS 7 is the requirement for ATMOS on Netflix then we are likely not going to see it. Frustrating, since the FTV4K hardware is capable of ATMOS support from other streaming services (Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max) on the current OS 6 version.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I am digging the new interface. I like to highlight an app in the app row so that the interface displays 1-2 rows of content tied to that highlighted app. Too bad only 6 are shown.

I ignore all the crap on the main page. Everything else on the UI is "hey, look here.. I am trying to upsell you."

-T

·
Registered
537 Posts
I read the same on AFTVNews and was disappointed. I was sure that either in this discussion thread or in the Fire Cube thread I asked an owner almost a year ago what OS version they were on to get ATMOS and they reported they were on OS version 6.xx.xx on a Fire Cube and had ATMOS support on Netflix. Perhaps they were incorrect and all 2nd Gen Fire Cubes were released with OS 7 version. If OS 7 is the requirement for ATMOS on Netflix then we are likely not going to see it. Frustrating, since the FTV4K hardware is capable of ATMOS support from other streaming services (Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max) on the current OS 6 version.
Well, after some additional research it turns out that only the 2nd generation Cube is on Fire OS 7, but the first generation is still running Fire OS 6. But both are listed as supporting Atmos on the Netflix webpage. And the Fire TV Stick 4K is not. (see the chart under Netflix Features)

So the statement from aftvnews.com is not fully correct. And I guess if you would ask Netflix or Amazon who is to blame that Atmos is not supported an the Fire TV Stick 4K, both would say that it's not their fault.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Well, after some additional research it turns out that only the 2nd generation Cube is on Fire OS 7, but the first generation is still running Fire OS 6. But both are listed as supporting Atmos on the Netflix webpage. And the Fire TV Stick 4K is not. (see the chart under Netflix Features)

So the statement from aftvnews.com is not fully correct. And I guess if you would ask Netflix or Amazon who is to blame that Atmos is not supported an the Fire TV Stick 4K, both would say that it's not their fault.
Okay. So I did remember correctly.

This has always felt like an arbitrary decision on either parties part to not provide ATMOS on the FTV4K with Netflix. Doesn't seem like it is a hardware or software OS limitation.

3821 - 3840 of 3947 Posts