AVS Forum banner

3841 - 3860 of 3947 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Okay. So I did remember correctly.

This has always felt like an arbitrary decision on either parties part to not provide ATMOS on the FTV4K with Netflix. Doesn't seem like it is a hardware or software OS limitation.
We are finally moving into the 21st century in our fairly remote community and getting Spectrum fiber installed throughout. That leaves me with having to catch up on newer streaming technology since we never have had the bandwidth for streaming at levels equal to my HT setup. So I'm now looking into equipment like the Firestick, Nvidia, etc. and the various streaming services available. (My LG 4K OLED offers YouTube and Netflix apps among others.)

After reading some of these recent comments I have to say that given my interests and equipment, I won't even consider any device that doesn't support Atmos. To me 4K is not as significant as Atmos. My aging eyes are now slightly blurry and pending cataract surgery, so I can truthfully say after watching (again) Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones in 4K with Atmos, the picture is acceptable, but the Atmos audio is a hard requirement.

Any recommendations gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
After reading some of these recent comments I have to say that given my interests and equipment, I won't even consider any device that doesn't support Atmos.

Any recommendations gratefully accepted.
Welcome to the mercurial world of hardware, os level and streaming service support of features like 4K, HDR / Dolby Vision and ATMOS audio.

The Fire TV 4K Stick device does support ATMOS. Prime Video, Disney+ and HBO Max content all support ATMOS audio on the Fire TV 4K Stick. Netflix does not. Apple TV+ currently does not. Apple TV+ on a Roku device does support ATMOS. Netflix on my 4K Roku TV does not support ATMOS. The same 4K Roku TV with Prime Video, Disney+ and HBO Max does support ATMOS.

Feature support is just all over the map based on your hardware and the streaming service. :eek:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Doesn't seem like it is a hardware or software OS limitation.
Well, it could be. As the Cubes are using Amlogic SoCs and the Fire TV Stick 4K is using a Mediatek SoC. The new 1080p only 3rd Gen Fire TV Stick released recently is using an almost identical Mediatek chipset, is running Fire OS 7 and supports Atmos on Netflix. So to be fair and only speaking about the FTV4K Stick, Fire OS 7 could make a difference here. But the question remains, why only for Netflix, and not for other apps that can support Atmos on the FTV4K without problems.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
So to be fair and only speaking about the FTV4K Stick, Fire OS 7 could make a difference here. But the question remains, why only for Netflix, and not for other apps that can support Atmos on the FTV4K without problems.
True. This could be an issue with the FTV4K Hardware / OS combination and how Netflix chooses to implement ATMOS support. But, other services seem to have figured it out and you have to wonder why the same could not be done for Netflix and the FTV4K? Seems like a lot of devices out of the 50+ million total in use to ignore from both the Netflix and Amazon side for such a popular model device.

Reactions: KingNothing81

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Welcome to the mercurial world of hardware, os level and streaming service support of features like 4K, HDR / Dolby Vision and ATMOS audio.

The Fire TV 4K Stick device does support ATMOS. Prime Video, Disney+ and HBO Max content all support ATMOS audio on the Fire TV 4K Stick. Netflix does not. Apple TV+ currently does not. Apple TV+ on a Roku device does support ATMOS. Netflix on my 4K Roku TV does not support ATMOS. The same 4K Roku TV with Prime Video, Disney+ and HBO Max does support ATMOS.

Feature support is just all over the map based on your hardware and the streaming service. :eek:
It's all intentional to get us all to buy multiple streaming devices. :p

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
As an owner of three (3) TCL Roku TV's and four (4) FTV4K devices, well done streaming hardware cartel!!!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I admittedly only own an Amazon streaming device because I wanted it for 4K HDR football games two years ago and it was dirt cheap. Outside of those rare occurrences, I completely ignore it. Any version of the UI is horrendous and crams Amazon content down your throat. In the end, I am not sure that it does anything all better than the Shield, Apple TV or Roku (aside from the Shield not having HLG HDR support).

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I only used my 4K and 1080p Firesticks to get Amazon Music HD because they've never upgraded the Amazon Music apps for Roku and Shield to HD - but once they started to allow HD "casting" of Amazon Music from my phone, I've just used my Shield (which doubles as a Chromecast) in my theater and a pair of $30 1080 Chromecasts in my and my wife's living room systems - and haven't used my Firesticks since.

Hate the FS interface, BTW - even before the recent change it was obnoxious, constantly rearranging the icons and wasting too much screen space on advertising.

·
Premium Member
35,826 Posts
And eyeballs to advertisers, Roku and Amazon are very similar in that the more active devices out there the more viewers they can sell to advertisers. Keeping as many older devices online and active is a good thing for these companies when it comes to ad sales time.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I only used my 4K and 1080p Firesticks to get Amazon Music HD because they've never upgraded the Amazon Music apps for Roku and Shield to HD - but once they started to allow HD "casting" of Amazon Music from my phone, I've just used my Shield (which doubles as a Chromecast) in my theater and a pair of $30 1080 Chromecasts in my and my wife's living room systems - and haven't used my Firesticks since.

Hate the FS interface, BTW - even before the recent change it was obnoxious, constantly rearranging the icons and wasting too much screen space on advertising.
...crazy...first person I've ever come across who actually uses Amazon Music!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
...crazy...first person I've ever come across who actually uses Amazon Music!
Make that two!! Amazon Music Unlimited subscriber. :D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think of Music Unlimited as a cross between Prime Video and Netflix: from Prime Video it takes the idea of a very wide and deep catalog - from very old to new releases, and in all styles - and from Netflix it takes the "everything here is free to stream" approach.

The HD version adds FLAC streaming at full CD quality (44.1Khz/16bit PCM) or better - though it's been demonstrated by Mark Waldrep ("Dr. Aix") that no one can tell the difference between CD quality and anything better. I'd like it if they added 5.1 music support, but for that I'll buy Aix Records' disks or 5.1 downloads from its download site, iTrax.com.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I think of Music Unlimited as a cross between Prime Video and Netflix: from Prime Video it takes the idea of a very wide and deep catalog - from very old to new releases, and in all styles - and from Netflix it takes the "everything here is free to stream" approach.

The HD version adds FLAC streaming at full CD quality (44.1Khz/16bit PCM) or better - though it's been demonstrated by Mark Waldrep ("Dr. Aix") that no one can tell the difference between CD quality and anything better. I'd like it if they added 5.1 music support, but for that I'll buy Aix Records' disks or 5.1 downloads from its download site, iTrax.com.
I have the Atmos and 3D audio with Tidal and...I really don't get the appeal. I'm not ready for it yet lol.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I find the Fire stick 4K to be generally faster and more responsive (UI and within most apps) than both my Roku Premiere and Roku stick plus. It also doesn't heat up as much as the Rokus do. And has better support for controlling soundbars and other equipment. Roku is better in that it doesn't push their content, namely the Roku Channel, as much as Amazon pushes their content.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Finally got the new UI. On the plus side, it seems a bit snappier than the old one. On the negative side, it is annoying to use. It might not be any or many more button presses to get to an app that isn't in your first six apps, but I personally don't want to have to go to a different screen to get to the items I am most likely to use on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Finally got the new UI. On the plus side, it seems a bit snappier than the old one. On the negative side, it is annoying to use. It might not be any or many more button presses to get to an app that isn't in your first six apps, but I personally don't want to have to go to a different screen to get to the items I am most likely to use on a regular basis.
You use more than 6 apps on a regular basis?

·
Registered
567 Posts
You use more than 6 apps on a regular basis?
I have 8 streaming apps that I hit daily, and that doesn't count the DVR and other live TV channels. Still, I am growing accustomed to the new GUI, and I especially appreciate the available space gained on my stick. The new firmware does appear to be more efficient.

I suppose some are just experiencing the shock of the new, while others probably have legitimate gripes about lost or lessened control. I'm mostly happy that our years-old device is still getting frequent software changes instead of growing stagnant or completely abandoned as most of the apps on my LG smart TVs have. I hope the 4K Fire TV stick is still in the running for Fire TV 7 so the developers continue to support us.

3841 - 3860 of 3947 Posts