AVS Forum banner

3981 - 4000 of 4047 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Does my Firestick 4K have the ability to play an audio stream from Amazon Music out of its USB port? I am considering buying a DAC that can accept this digital stream through its USB port, convert it to analog, and then output it through the red/white analog port into my Denon receiver.
Why wouldn't you just plug the fire stick into your Denon?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Jack, you are a little confused. It isn't 24Hz/192 KB it is 24 bit/192 kHz. The Denon will play that PCM

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Jack, you are a little confused. It isn't 24Hz/192 KB it is 24 bit/192 kHz. The Denon will play that PCM
You are right. I am confused. Are you sure about the Denon’s ability. When I go to the Menu/General/Information page it always says 16/192. Both the Denon Owner’s thread and Reddit discussion are saying that Denon will only play 16/192. No one is sure why that is but some put it on processing power and Audessey.

Will my Firestick 4K output 24/192 over the USB port or is that port only for input from a USB stick?

This is the DAC that I'm looking at: Topping D10s USB DAC and USB to SPDIF Converter - HomeTheaterHifi.com

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Will my Firestick 4K output 24/192 over the USB port or is that port only for input from a USB stick?
@Philnick has posted in this discussion thread previously about his use of the FTV4K for playing Amazon Music HD at the best bitrate. He might be able to provide some additional insight.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I have a Marantz SR 6012 and here is a snapshot from the manual.

Are you trying to stream Amazon HD? If not is not Amazon HD, it won’t be a high res feed.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
BTW, the usb connection on the Firestick 4K is for POWER only As noted in the Specs for the Firestick 4K

PortsHDMI output, micro USB for power only

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Because the Denon won’t play 24Hz/192Kb through hdmi, only 16Hz/192Kb.
So plug it in to your tv and use arc.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I have a Marantz SR 6012 and here is a snapshot from the manual.

View attachment 3131499

Are you trying to stream Amazon HD? If not is not Amazon HD, it won’t be a high res feed.
I looked at my Denon manuals. The S750H support was identical to your Marantz page. The 2200 support was identical. So why doesn't it work. My playback device for the Amazon HD music service says it is 24/192. But the information page for the audio says it is playing back at 16/192. What's going on?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
BTW, the usb connection on the Firestick 4K is for POWER only As noted in the Specs for the Firestick 4K

Thank you for that info. When I use HDMI out of the fire stick it won't play at the 24/192 through the Denon. I can use the iPad for the Amazon HD music playback using Airplay but it won't play the 24/192 either. Do you know if the iPad mini Port can be used as a USB output port that would go into the DAC USB input?

·
Registered
327 Posts

The micro USB can also be used to connect an ethernet cable and expanded memory. I use a non-Amazon ethernet adapter which gives me the full 250 Mb/s my ISP offers.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
So plug it in to your tv and use arc.
I can't get ARC to work. The matrix of cross parameters has gotten so complex that it has gotten to the point where certain ARC requirements can't be found in the matrix of TV parameters. The place I need to go is greyed out.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
. . .
. . .
As far as I know that port is only for power and ethernet, not audio/video output.

Personally, now that Amazon Music HD is allowed to be "cast" as 16/44.1 PCM (Redbook CD), I just have my phone cast it to my Shield and Chromecast devices on various systems, since the repeated crowd-sourced A/B/X tests conducted by Dr. AIX (Mark Waldrep of AIX Records, itrax.com and RealHD-Audio.com - who has long recorded and released in 96/24) showed that no one could hear the difference. That wasn't what he wanted to show, but he didn't shy away from letting folks know what he found.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
As far as I know that port is only for power and ethernet, not audio/video output.

Personally, now that Amazon Music HD is allowed to be "cast" as 16/44.1 PCM (Redbook CD), I just have my phone cast it to my Shield and Chromecast devices on various systems, since the repeated crowd-sourced A/B/X tests conducted by Dr. AIX (Mark Waldrep of AIX Records, itrax.com and RealHD-Audio.com - who has long recorded and released in 96/24) showed that no one could hear the difference. That wasn't what he wanted to show, but he didn't shy away from letting folks know what he found.
I suspected as such but I think I can hear an increase in Dynamic range when playing the HD music on Amazon. Could be that my mind is fooling my ears. What is curious is that my Denon's manual show they will support 24/192 but doesn't show in the info display. According to the owners threads this is an issue common to Denon.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Since Atmos works with all those apps on the 4K stick, then it's pretty obvious that Netflix is the culprit. I'm not sure how Netflix delivers Atmos differently than all those other apps, but other apps supporting Atmos is proof that it is possible, if not feasible or convenient, for Netflix to also support Atmos on the 4K stick.
FYI. My 2017 TCL Roku TV that has ATMOS support for Disney+, HBO Max and Prime Video updated to Roku OS Version 10 today. The Netflix app updated also. ATMOS audio is now supported on Netflix!! Possible that Amazon and Netflix could work on a similar solution. 🤞

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,528 Posts
This new UI is garbage. It takes ages to load in, it takes like 18 extra steps to get to your apps. Just awful. Why do companies constantly have to change things just to change them? Throwing out good designs just for funsies.

·
Registered
895 Posts
This new UI is garbage. It takes ages to load in, it takes like 18 extra steps to get to your apps. Just awful. Why do companies constantly have to change things just to change them? Throwing out good designs just for funsies.
What app takes 18 steps to get to?

3 clicks down from the Home Screen goes to all your recently used apps.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,528 Posts
What app takes 18 steps to get to?

3 clicks down from the Home Screen goes to all your recently used apps.
My point is that everything takes longer to do including just waiting for everything to load in. It’s not a literal 18 steps.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
My point is that everything takes longer to do including just waiting for everything to load in. It’s not a literal 18 steps.
Some like the new UI, some don’t. I personally don’t like it as I think it is less convenient and user friendly for accessing and running your own apps then the previous UI. But, that clearly was never the focus of the UI and they have just made that even more apparent with the new UI. It is focused on Amazon pushing their, and their partners, content and apps.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,528 Posts
Some like the new UI, some don’t. I personally don’t like it as I think it is less convenient and user friendly for accessing and running your own apps then the previous UI. But, that clearly was never the focus of the UI and they have just made that even more apparent with the new UI. It is focused on Amazon pushing their, and their partners, content and apps.
Kind of funny because I don’t even use the stick for Amazon content.

3981 - 4000 of 4047 Posts