AVS Forum banner

4021 - 4040 of 4047 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Maybe this is breaking it only for devices that are DV compatible and not allowing it to roll back to HDR either. I tested on my old Samsung TV and I’m getting HDR but that TV doesn’t support DV or Atmos.
Could be. But I am seeing you all post that ATMOS support is lacking also. On my DV capable device that is not showing a DV picture I am getting ATMOS audio. On my HDR-only capable device it is showing a HDR picture.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,528 Posts
Could be. But I am seeing you all post that ATMOS support is lacking also. On my DV capable device that is not showing a DV picture I am getting ATMOS audio. On my HDR-only capable device it is showing a HDR picture.
On your DV device does the fire stick connect to a receiver directly or the TV directly?

Correct - hopefully HBO will have it fixed with another app update within the week.
I sure hope so. I’d like to watch The Conjuring 3 while it’s available.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
On your DV device does the fire stick connect to a receiver directly or the TV directly?
FTV4K device is connected directly to Vizio ATMOS soundbar with HDMI-ARC out to TCL TV that is DV capable. Similar with my FTV4K device connected directly to ONN 5.1.2 ATMOS soundbar with HDMI-EARC out to 1080p projector. In both of those instances I am getting Dolby ATMOS support with HBO Max 50.30.0.252 version of the app.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,528 Posts
FTV4K device is connected directly to Vizio ATMOS soundbar with HDMI-ARC out to TCL TV that is DV capable. Similar with my FTV4K device connected directly to ONN 5.1.2 ATMOS soundbar with HDMI-EARC out to 1080p projector. In both of those instances I am getting Dolby ATMOS support with HBO Max 50.30.0.252 version of the app.
I have my Fire Stick connected to LG CX which is connected to my JBL Bar 9.1 via eARC. There’s the difference.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have my Fire Stick connected to LG CX which is connected to my JBL Bar 9.1 via eARC. There’s the difference.
I wonder if any of this has to do with the ad-supported pricing tier they released on June 2nd? The app 50.30.0.252 updated on the same day that they released the ad-supported tier, which caps out at 1080p resolution. Just weird that a DV capable device will not even fall back to HDR, but a HDR-only device will display HDR picture.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Correct - hopefully HBO will have it fixed with another app update within the week.
hopefully :)

When HBO Max broke multi-channel audio on the shield when they updated the app to support 4K atmos, it took them 2 months to fix it.

Not a very good track record for the development team.

-T

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
hopefully :)

When HBO Max broke multi-channel audio on the shield when they updated the app to support 4K atmos, it took them 2 months to fix it.

Not a very good track record for the development team.
It is a bumbling / stumbling update at best.

They 'update' the HBO Max app on Apple TV and Fire TV devices on the day they launch a lower cost ad-supported tier that caps out at 1080p. One of the advantages they highlight for remaining on the higher priced commercial-free tier is 4K HDR support, which they just broke on most Apple TV and Fire TV devices with the 'update'. That is some 'brilliant' execution!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Its almost like... and I think this is a real possibility... the "developers" on these android platforms got their credentials by tapping the Build on an Android phone enough times until the phone stated "You are now a developer."

I would be embarrassed to deliver a product that broke major pieces of functionality.

-T

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,528 Posts
Its almost like... and I think this is a real possibility... the "developers" on these android platforms got their credentials by tapping the Build on an Android phone enough times until the phone stated "You are now a developer."

I would be embarrassed to deliver a product that broke major pieces of functionality.

-T
This doesn’t sound like a developer problem. This is a failure or total lack of QA. QA should have come across these problems right away, given how widespread they seem to be.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
This doesn’t sound like a developer problem. This is a failure or total lack of QA. QA should have come across these problems right away, given how widespread they seem to be.
QA is part of the process. But in my position, if QA gets hit by a bus, we still go through the development process. We know what we're supposed to do in terms of development and test.

But I agree that this is catastrophic. Whatever process they're using doesn't work because most of the product teams across multiple services are letting huge defects escape.

-T

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Agreed.

Another nitpicky issue with the update on Fire TV is how it behaves at the end of a stream. Previously it would automatically return to the Detail Screen of the episode or movie. Now, it just hangs at the end of the stream. You have to use the BACK button to end the stream. Checked this on Roku and it still works as it should. Sigh.....

But, with such an anemic amount of 4K Dolby Vision content on the service at any given moment in time (4, maybe 5 titles), do they even bother to supply QA with 4K Dolby Vision content to test? :whistle: Kinda kidding there, but it does go to show where in the list of priorities it seems to be placed.

Reactions: calculon68

·
Registered
409 Posts
Another nitpicky issue with the update on Fire TV is how it behaves at the end of a stream. Previously it would automatically return to the Detail Screen of the episode or movie. Now, it just hangs at the end of the stream. You have to use the BACK button to end the stream. Checked this on Roku at it still works as it should. Sigh.....
BTW, I'm seeing this particular phenomenon on Shield as well. Tried to re-watch High Maintenance via binge, freeze frames last frame without playing next episode.

So its probably an Android issue.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
BTW, I'm seeing this particular phenomenon on Shield as well. Tried to re-watch High Maintenance via binge, freeze frames last frame without playing next episode.

So its probably an Android issue.
I am not a fan of NEXT UP automatically without the option to disable. Previous version of HBO Max did not have a disable option. Breaking the app with an update on FIre TV / Android TV devices was not the way I would prefer to have it!! :whistle:

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,528 Posts
It appears that Atmos was fixed in HBO Max but still not 4k/DV/HDR.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Peacock Could Finally Be Coming to Fire TV
Fire TV shared a tweet on its official account Tuesday afternoon, showing a desk from the NBC show “The Office,” with one of the most well known pranks from the series. The caption says “Tomorrow’s announcement is NOT a prank”
Fire TV
@amazonfiretv

Tomorrow’s announcement is NOT a prank

Reactions: galonzo and ncted

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,528 Posts
There are a few things I’d like to watch on Peacock but their app is just garbage. Poor UI and the streaming quality is worse than I think every single other service.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm having a bizzare issue with my Fire Cube all of the sudden after working fine for months.

My major streaming apps randomly stop playing videos completely. (Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Disney+, Crave)

All apps have the exact same issue. They load just fine, but when I select any video, I get a generic error message stating the video can't be played, or in the case of YouTube, it just freezes.

The only solution I've found is deleting the App entirely, rebooting the Cube, reinstalling the app and activating it again using my login info or the web code. Then every video plays perfectly again.The problem is that the issue always returns several days later. They also don't all do it at the same time. It's completely random. It's the behaviour that basically makes me think it's something about how the services "register" the device, except it clearly thinks it's registered just fine when I start the App, it just doesn't think so when I try and watch anything.

Anyone ever experience this issue with a Fire TV product and find a way to correct it? I can't think of anything in my setup that has changed that could explain this new phenomenon. Same internet, no VPN, etc. I've already tried a factory reset of the Cube but nothing changed.

Trying to rule out if it could be anything related to my internet, because I'm on the brink of just buying an Nvidia Shield or Apple TV but if I spend $200+ on one of those and find out the problem still happens that would be a huge bummer.

4021 - 4040 of 4047 Posts