AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 2898 Posts

·
UHD Addict
37,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,101
Does the Netflix app output 24p into the Firestick?
It outputs Netflix at 60P. Unless something has changed recently.

·
UHD Addict
37,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,102
Just got my 4K firestick today, jumped on the $26 refrub deal the other day. Couple issues, not sure if they are Firestick issues or refurb issues. One is if I tune into 4k content, lets say Jack Ryan, it does show up as Atmos, fine, but the info bar at the bottom displays 1080p not 2160 or UHD. Have a good wifi signal, unit says "Very Good". Second if I plug it into my AVR as I intended to do, when I switch to another input everything on the display is black! Have to power cycle the whole system a few times to get my other devices to display. Weird. If I plug it into my display it seems to be ok, but not my preferred setup.

One other thing I found. I load VLC in hopes of using that to stream my content I have on my NAS. IT finds it and will play it - but only in Stereo! Much of my content is 4k Atmos and it will not feed that. Is it a limitation of VLC, firestick or do I have to load Kodi?
The 4K FireTv Stick won't work with lossless Atmos.

Reactions: Ted99

·
Premium Member
35,137 Posts
Just got my 4K firestick today, jumped on the $26 refrub deal the other day. Couple issues, not sure if they are Firestick issues or refurb issues. One is if I tune into 4k content, lets say Jack Ryan, it does show up as Atmos, fine, but the info bar at the bottom displays 1080p not 2160 or UHD. Have a good wifi signal, unit says "Very Good". Second if I plug it into my AVR as I intended to do, when I switch to another input everything on the display is black! Have to power cycle the whole system a few times to get my other devices to display. Weird. If I plug it into my display it seems to be ok, but not my preferred setup.

One other thing I found. I load VLC in hopes of using that to stream my content I have on my NAS. IT finds it and will play it - but only in Stereo! Much of my content is 4k Atmos and it will not feed that. Is it a limitation of VLC, firestick or do I have to load Kodi?
What is the cable length between the AVR and the display? And is it a Premium Certified cable? Your 1080p/2160p problem sounds very much like a cabling problem as the Stick is very picky about cable length and spec. In my epxerience, even a 25' Premium Certified cable would not work with the Stick, I had to go with an active cable from Monoprice.

·
UHD Addict
37,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,105 (Edited)
It has always allowed 24/25 fps playback. It's one of the best features of the firestick. Here's Black Mirror.

I thought it only did 24P with Amazon content?
I guess it's been a while since I looked at it.

EDIT: I just checked on both of mine. I only get 60P from Netflix titles. While I can get 24P from the appropriate titles on the Amazon app.
I can't get 24P from the appropriate titles on Netflix with either of my FireTV 4K sticks.

Plus on your screen cap is that actually the video output framerate? Or the video input framerate?

EDIT: you need to enable the developer menu on the top. The menu on the right shows what framerate is being received from Netflix, not what is being output. The developer menu that shows up on top will show what framerate the FireTV 4K stick is outputting.

·
Premium Member
35,137 Posts
I haven't checked lately either but as I recall Netflix has always been 60p on the Fire Stick. I just checked the first episode of Black Mirror S5 and it's 60Hz.

·
UHD Addict
37,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,107 (Edited)
I haven't checked lately either but as I recall Netflix has always been 60p on the Fire Stick. I just checked the first episode of Black Mirror S5 and it's 60Hz.
Yes. it only outputs Netflix in 60P. I just checked the Developer System X-ray menu that Taxcheat used.
The info on the right shows what is being received. It shows that Netflix is sending 24P to the FireTV 4K stick.
But if you enable the info options that shows up on top, it shows what is being output. And that matched what my receiver shows is being received by the 4K FireTV stick..

Reactions: Keenan

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes. it only outputs Netflix in 60P. I just checked the Developer System X-ray menu that Taxcheat used.
The info on the right shows what is being received. It shows that Netflix is sending 24P to the FireTV 4K stick.
But if you enable the info options that shows up on top, it shows what is being output. And that matched what my receiver shows is being received by the 4K FireTV stick..

Ah, my mistake. :eek:

On the other hand, Smart YouTube definitely plays in the original framerate if you check the appropriate option, confirmed by looking at the correct top x-ray display. If you don't see the "adjusting video framerate" message with a screen flicker, it's going to be 60fps.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
What is the cable length between the AVR and the display? And is it a Premium Certified cable? Your 1080p/2160p problem sounds very much like a cabling problem as the Stick is very picky about cable length and spec. In my epxerience, even a 25' Premium Certified cable would not work with the Stick, I had to go with an active cable from Monoprice.
No, I am using a certified cable, and other than this issue witch I thinks is sort sort of interface probles with my AVR the FS and the rest of my system works well. I solved the issue by simply pluggin in the FS to my display. No issues there.

I do notice the ramp up time is a bit slower on the Amazon app than on my TV though. Or I was just not aware of it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi,

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

However, I just noticed that when playing Netflix through the firestick, when set to auto, when playing a 4K movie, it will not display 2160p and dolby vision. It will only play it in 1080p. However, if I set the resolution to 2160, it plays at 2160p, but displays it in HDR, not dolby vision. I have an LG OLED B6.

Interestingly enough, when I use the Netflix app through the TV, when playing a 4K movies, it displays 2160p and dolby vision.

There seems to be an issue with the netflix app within the firestick.

Granted, I found a workaround by setting the resolution to 2160; but, I believe this also upconverts regular 1080p movies to 2160p.

Funny, when playing 4K movies in prime, when set to auto, it plays at 2160p and HDR. It seems, the Netflix app wont switch to the proper resolution when playing 4K movies within the firestick.

Is anyone else having this issue. If so, did you find a fix, or is the workaround the fix.

Thanks!

·
UHD Addict
37,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,111
Hi,

However, I just noticed that when playing Netflix through the firestick, when set to auto, when playing a 4K movie, it will not display 2160p and dolby vision. It will only play it in 1080p. However, if I set the resolution to 2160, it plays at 2160p, but displays it in HDR, not dolby vision. I have an LG OLED B6.

Interestingly enough, when I use the Netflix app through the TV, when playing a 4K movies, it displays 2160p and dolby vision.

Granted, I found a workaround by setting the resolution to 2160; but, I believe this also upconverts regular 1080p movies to 2160p.

Funny, when playing 4K movies in prime, when set to auto, it plays at 2160p and HDR. It seems, the Netflix app wont switch to the proper resolution when playing 4K movies within the firestick.

Is anyone else having this issue. If so, did you find a fix, or is the workaround the fix.

Thanks!
It has never switched resolutions. That is normal. Set it to 2160P output.
And if you turn on frame rate sync, it will switch framerates with Amazon video , but not with Netflix.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just noticed that when playing Netflix through the firestick, when set to auto, when playing a 4K movie, it will not display 2160p and dolby vision. It will only play it in 1080p. However, if I set the resolution to 2160, it plays at 2160p, but displays it in HDR, not dolby vision. I have an LG OLED B6.
Mine does the same. I assume this occurs because the B6 does not support DoVi @ 60 Hz, but have never confirmed.

Reactions: mjwagner

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
Correction - We have ours set to Auto ((up to 4k Ultra HD). But I don't think it is a issue with the Stick. We just finished the latest season of Jessica Jones and every episode played just fine in DV on our LG OLED65B7A. Honestly we have never had any issue with shows playing in either HDR or DV.

Our settings under Display on the Stick are:
Video Resolution - Auto (up to 4k Ultra HD)
Match Original Frame Rate - On
Color Depth - Up to 12 bits
Color Format - YCbCr
Dynamic Range Settings - Adaptive

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys would this work on this, I have an lg c6 would Dolby vision mp4 rips work sample rips can be found on makemkv:

Titled:Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an odd video playback quality issue when I'm watching things on my Firestick whether it's netflix/prime streaming, or playing files off my network through plex. The best way I can describe it, is that the image (usually background) is very "wavy" instead of just a regular clear picture. If I play the same movie file for instance just straight off my TV's media player, the picture looks normal. I wish I knew the exact terminology for the visual distortion I'm talking about, hopefully my description will make sense though. Any ideas?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!

I discovered this same issue with the Netflix app the other day. Forcing the FireTV stick to 2160p results in HDR10, and no DV. Setting the FireTV back to Auto gets you DV, but only 1080p playback in Netflix. In fact, the Netflix UI only indicates "HD" on titles that are UHD when played from other devices (like the TV's built-in apps). My guess is that the FireTV Netflix app simply doesn't support UHD, and the FireTV just upscales it (without DV) when forced to the 2160p setting. Amazon Prime Video 4K titles play just fine in UHD, so it's not the FireTV stick. It's the Netflix app.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Correction - We have ours set to Auto ((up to 4k Ultra HD). But I don't think it is a issue with the Stick. We just finished the latest season of Jessica Jones and every episode played just fine in DV on our LG OLED65B7A. Honestly we have never had any issue with shows playing in either HDR or DV.

Our settings under Display on the Stick are:
Video Resolution - Auto (up to 4k Ultra HD)
Match Original Frame Rate - On
Color Depth - Up to 12 bits
Color Format - YCbCr
Dynamic Range Settings - Adaptive

Hope that helps.

My settings are the same, except, I have color set to auto. It will play DV; however, it plays it at 1080p, when set to auto, not 2160p.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I discovered this same issue with the Netflix app the other day. Forcing the FireTV stick to 2160p results in HDR10, and no DV. Setting the FireTV back to Auto gets you DV, but only 1080p playback in Netflix. In fact, the Netflix UI only indicates "HD" on titles that are UHD when played from other devices (like the TV's built-in apps). My guess is that the FireTV Netflix app simply doesn't support UHD, and the FireTV just upscales it (without DV) when forced to the 2160p setting. Amazon Prime Video 4K titles play just fine in UHD, so it's not the FireTV stick. It's the Netflix app.

Yeah, I think it's the netflix app within the firestick because, when I use the netflix app through the LG TV, it plays DV at 2160p strange. I used the LG TV Plus remote app to verify this, since there is no info button on the regular LG remote.

1101 - 1120 of 2898 Posts