AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 2898 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
tried using the downloader app and followed the instructions on the videos..no luck..won't install Vudu. Any info or link would be appreciated.
You can find the apk various places. Just download the apk then sideload it to your stick. Just make sure you get the version for Android TV.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but does the FireTV Stick 4k have the issue some other devices have (AppleTV for instance) where if you enable Dolby Vision it screws up SDR content by converting it to HDR/DV?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The B6 will not accept Dolby Vision at 4K60 from an external source (Fire TV). The B7 will. This is why you are seeing a difference.

The Fire TV Netflix app does not automatically adjust frame rate like Prime does (even if you enable frame rate switching in the Fire TV setup). Netflix is always locked to 60 Hz. Thus, when the Fire TV queries the B6 to find out if it's OK to send Dolby Vision at 4K60 from Netflix, the B6 says "no," so the Fire TV sends HDR-10 at 4K60 instead.

If you set the Fire TV to automatically select resolution, it prioritizes dynamic range over resolution. (Again, this applies only to B6.) For apps other than Prime, the output will be 2K60 (1080p) and the Fire TV will switch to Dolby Vision or HDR-10 as needed (assuming range switching is enabled in Fire TV setup). For Prime, the frame rate, resolution, and range switching are all supported, so the output switches to 4K24 Dolby Vision or HDR-10 as needed.

If you lock the Fire TV output to 4K60 (2160p) in setup, the frame rate will also lock to 60 Hz for every app and every format - including Prime and Dolby Vision. Since the B6 cannot accept Dolby Vision at 4K60, Dolby Vision output from the Fire TV for every app will be disabled and HDR-10 will be sent instead (if available).

It's quirky the way Amazon decided to set this up in the Fire TV, further complicated by the B6's atypical limitation of only being able to accept Dolby Vision up to 4K30 (this is due to the B6 being a very early generation Dolby Vision display). It's complicated, and I don't feel like I've explained it very well; I had to type in a hurry on my way out the door. :eek:

Hope it helps! ;)

That would explain it for me as well, thank you! I don't have a B6, but I do have an LG 65UH8500 that came out the same year. The Dolby Vision implementation on it is so bad that I usually try to disable it when possible, but I still test it occasionally to make sure things are still working.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but does the FireTV Stick 4k have the issue some other devices have (AppleTV for instance) where if you enable Dolby Vision it screws up SDR content by converting it to HDR/DV?
I've had no trouble getting Dolby Vision to open up on my OLED E6 from the Fire Stick 4K. Nothing else I open up anywhere else opens Dolby Vision unless it was intended for Dolby Vision. Other TVs or receivers may have a problem with it but mine hasn't. But then, I haven't had any trouble getting the proper Dolby Vision behavior from the ATV 4K either.

I wonder if your settings are correct for your system?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Both the Apple TV 4K and the FireTV Stick 4K have menu settings which will automatically switch to HDR/DolbyVision only when necessary. It will stay in SDR for SDR content.

·
UHD Addict
37,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149 (Edited)
the Apple TV 4K doesn't have that issue unless you enable that function. The FireTv stick 4K also doesn't have the issue unless you enable it. Both my ATV 4K boxes and FireTv 4K sticks will properly switch between SDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision as needed. And if you have an HDR10+ capable set, the Fire TV 4K stick will also switch between that.

EDIT: And I see the FireTv 4k Stick also handles HLG HDR.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
So I just got a FireTV Stick 4K from the Prime Day sale. I have to say I was expecting it to be basically functional. You know, like being capable of playing back video without dropping frames and not having stutters in the video output. Apparently I was expecting too much. :mad:

Certainly I can't be the first person to notice this. :confused:

·
UHD Addict
37,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,152
So I just got a FireTV Stick 4K from the Prime Day sale. I have to say I was expecting it to be basically functional. You know, like being capable of playing back video without dropping frames and not having stutters in the video output. Apparently I was expecting too much. :mad:

WHat content were you watching when this happened? I've seen it on a few Amazon shows but switching to 60P output fixed it. It's rare I see any issues on both of mine.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts

I've had a $K firestick for months now no issues to speak of. It would be better wiht a hard wire ethernet connection, an extra cost, but overall a fine unit. I have run into problems playing movies from my NAS, via Kodi, but it's more of a network or processing issue issue.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
WHat content were you watching when this happened? I've seen it on a few Amazon shows but switching to 60P output fixed it. It's rare I see any issues on both of mine.
I've seen it on HDR/UHD YouTube (24P & 60P) clips, Man in the High Castle (24P), and The Gymkhana Files (24P). Basically everything I've tried playing so far. I have it set to adjust the frame rate. I power cycled it, but that didn't improve the situation any. My Sony X700 seems to do a better job with Prime Video playback. I didn't notice any frame drops/repeats with it though I've watched less content on it. It can't do Atmos for Prime Video. I'm not sure about DV. This is my first foray into streaming and Amazon Prime.

I've had a $K firestick for months now no issues to speak of. It would be better wiht a hard wire ethernet connection, an extra cost, but overall a fine unit. I have run into problems playing movies from my NAS, via Kodi, but it's more of a network or processing issue issue.
Using wifi doesn't cause the sorts of frame drops and stutters I've seen. I'm not talking about buffering. I'm talking single dropped (or repeated) frames in the video output that happen on some cadence. Usually it's caused by a frame rate mismatch. Like the content is 24.000fps and the device is outputting 23.976fps (or the inverse)

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
So I tried changing the color setting to RGB (but the stick still outputs YCbCr) and reducing the color depth (don't think it actually did) and had the same results. Disabling frame rate changing so it stays at p60 results in 3:2 cadence judder and I think it still might be dropping frames. :frown:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I've seen it on HDR/UHD YouTube (24P & 60P) clips, Man in the High Castle (24P), and The Gymkhana Files (24P). Basically everything I've tried playing so far. I have it set to adjust the frame rate. I power cycled it, but that didn't improve the situation any. My Sony X700 seems to do a better job with Prime Video playback. I didn't notice any frame drops/repeats with it though I've watched less content on it. It can't do Atmos for Prime Video. I'm not sure about DV. This is my first foray into streaming and Amazon Prime.

Using wifi doesn't cause the sorts of frame drops and stutters I've seen. I'm not talking about buffering. I'm talking single dropped (or repeated) frames in the video output that happen on some cadence. Usually it's caused by a frame rate mismatch. Like the content is 24.000fps and the device is outputting 23.976fps (or the inverse)
I have one FireTV Stick 4k connected to an LG65B7A and my other connected to a Optoma UHZ65 4k HDR laser projector. Have not experienced what you describe on either.

·
UHD Addict
37,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,157
So I tried changing the color setting to RGB (but the stick still outputs YCbCr) and reducing the color depth (don't think it actually did) and had the same results. Disabling frame rate changing so it stays at p60 results in 3:2 cadence judder and I think it still might be dropping frames. :frown:
I have no problem with 60P output because both my TCL and Sony UHD TVs can eliminate judder in that situation. And that has eliminated that issue you described in my setups.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
I have no problem with 60P output because both my TCL and Sony UHD TVs can eliminate judder in that situation. And that has eliminated that issue you described in my setups.
Which Sony UHD TV do you have? In my testing my Sony Z9D does not eliminate 3:2 cadence judder from the 4K stick when set to p60.

Edit: I did more testing this morning and it does remove the 3:2 judder, but not with Cinemotion on Low. It has to be on Medium.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Is it me or are sporadic audio dropouts generally within the first 5 minutes of a program common on the FireTV 4K? I've noticed it on Netflix, Amazon's HBO channels & their CBS channel. I've never experienced this on my ATV4K or my Roku Ultra. I really like the FireTV but the random audio drops are annoying.

I just got an Update (6.2.6.4) this a.m. so maybe things will change.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It me or are sporadic audio dropouts generally within the first 5 minutes of a program common on the FireTV 4K? I've noticed it on Netflix, Amazon's HBO channels & their CBS channel. I've never experienced this on my ATV4K or my Roku Ultra. I really like the FireTV but the random audio drops are annoying.

I just got an Update (6.2.6.4) this a.m. so maybe things will change.
It’s you...

1141 - 1160 of 2898 Posts