AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 2898 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Do you get 4k instantly? If so, can you show a gif or small video demonstrating that it is flawless. Actually, if wifi speed tests show more than 300mbps everytime, than that means the wifi is not struggling. It means the wifi is robust. Speed test typically measure throughput pretty well, especially if you test it in different increments. Moreover, the lack of issues in apple tv and netflix with 4k hdr content proves my point. A 100mbps hardwired network won't be nearly as good as my robust wifi. The modem in my 2016 sony z9d set(150mbps +) is playing 4k instantly in prime video. The fire tv stick starts at 720p.
What I tried to explain is when I tested my Wi-Fi it was perfect every time I tested it. But their was clearly an issue when trying to play very large mkv files. And it was only resolved when I hard wired. So what I was trying to explain to you was even though your Wi-Fi test is showing solid Wi-Fi speeds you may still be having an issue.
As far as “instant” 4k...I don’t know but I have not seen anything that would make me check it. In my theater I would notice (100” diagonal screen with Optoma UHZ65 4k HDR projector), or in my family room I would notice (LG OLED65B7A). Unless I can see something I won’t worry about it....😀

And BTW, even 100mbs Ethernet is more than enough for streaming 4k HDR/DV.

·
Registered
740 Posts
What I tried to explain is when I tested my Wi-Fi it was perfect every time I tested it. But their was clearly an issue when trying to play very large mkv files. And it was only resolved when I hard wired. So what I was trying to explain to you was even though your Wi-Fi test is showing solid Wi-Fi speeds you may still be having an issue.
As far as “instant” 4k...I don’t know but I have not seen anything that would make me check it. In my theater I would notice (100” diagonal screen with Optoma UHZ65 4k HDR projector), or in my family room I would notice (LG OLED65B7A). Unless I can see something I won’t worry about it....😀

And BTW, even 100mbs Ethernet is more than enough for streaming 4k HDR/DV.
Well, my main concern is that the 4k is not instant as it on sony z9d's built-in android tv. Skipping to a few minutes into a show or movie or waiting for it to buffer 4k is not the same. It means the network is not stable enough to handle 4k content on the fly. Anything at 300mbps should have 4k instantly.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Well, my main concern is that the 4k is not instant as it on sony z9d's built-in android tv. Skipping to a few minutes into a show or movie or waiting for it to buffer 4k is not the same. It means the network is not stable enough to handle 4k content on the fly. Anything at 300mbps should have 4k instantly.
I do t know about “instant” but I can tell you for a certainty that I don’t have to wait a minute or even 30 seconds. And i’ll try one more time and then I’ll give up...just because your test shows a consistent 300mbs or whatever thruput on your Wi-Fi doesn’t mean you don’t have an issue. I was seeing that on every test I did too, and I clearly did have an issue. Not saying that this is definitely your problem. I’m just saying don’t be deceived by what you are seeing on the Wi-Fi thruput test. Good luck, hope you find your issue.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Reactions: galonzo

·
Premium Member
35,127 Posts
It's not your available bandwidth but how the device is buffering the data before initiating playback of the title. On the Fire TV Stick 4K it's very typical behavior for the title to start at 1080p and within 20-60 secs ramp-up to full UHD playback. Other devices may buffer more data before initiating playback and may start right off in UHD but in my experience, the Fire Stick is not one of those devices.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's not your available bandwidth but how the device is buffering the data before initiating playback of the title. On the Fire TV Stick 4K it's very typical behavior for the title to start at 1080p and within 20-60 secs ramp-up to full UHD playback. Other devices may buffer more data before initiating playback and may start right off in UHD but in my experience, the Fire Stick is not one of those devices.
Interesting. Could it have something to do with a bug in the Prime App on the Fire TV Stick 4k? In my experience, I have not seen any issues with 4k on other 4k apps. The apple tv app plays all my titles in 4k in a fly. Netflix is flawless. Could it be codec issue in Prime?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Do you get 4k instantly on the prime app with this? It looks like it can get 1/3 of the ISP speed, which is definitely better than 100mbps down.
I use watched the first episode of the new season of Jack Ryan and it takes about a minutes, maybe 45 seconds to ramp up to 4k. HDR is right away though. I don't find it a problem at all.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I use watched the first episode of the new season of Jack Ryan and it takes about a minutes, maybe 45 seconds to ramp up to 4k. HDR is right away though. I don't find it a problem at all.
Did you test out apple tv app or netflix? I can understand it not being a big deal for some people, but the 4k is very noticeable to me. It just looks better in 4k. I usually use apple tv 4k prime app for prime shows(like jack ryan), but it's pretty limited with amazon 4k hdr content movies. It does play 4k instantly though and very noticeably 4k. I prefer using the prime app on the fire tv stick 4k though.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Did you test out apple tv app or netflix? I can understand it not being a big deal for some people, but the 4k is very noticeable to me. It just looks better in 4k. I usually use apple tv 4k prime app for prime shows(like jack ryan), but it's pretty limited with amazon 4k hdr content movies. It does play 4k instantly though and very noticeably 4k. I prefer using the prime app on the fire tv stick 4k though.
But it's just 45 seconds to a minute. I'm not an Apple guy so no on that. Netflix I'm not sure, never paid attention to if it's 4k right off the bat. I really only care about HDR, 4k is not something I really care too much about.

·
Premium Member
35,127 Posts
Interesting. Could it have something to do with a bug in the Prime App on the Fire TV Stick 4k? In my experience, I have not seen any issues with 4k on other 4k apps. The apple tv app plays all my titles in 4k in a fly. Netflix is flawless. Could it be codec issue in Prime?
Hard to say if it's a bug, I'd be more inclined to believe it's just how the Fire Stick works. The Stick may have fewer memory allotments that another device like the Apple TV, but then again, the Apple TV is 4 times the cost of the Stick so I suppose you can expect it will operate a bit better than the Stick.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the brief ramp-up time on the Stick but I don't really use it that much either as I prefer the Apple TV and the new Shield I picked up about a week or so ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an issue I can not figure out. I have a Samsung 65KU6290 with the Fire Stick 4k plugged into HDMI 1 with UHD color turned on. Everything looks great on SDR content, however when watching HDR content from Amazon and Netflix the picture is washed out and the colors are way off (example: the red Netflix logo is orange). I do not have the issue with the built in apps.
I have tried multiple combinations of settings on both the TV and the FTV4k but can not figure out what is going on.
Any help would be appreciated.
Have you tried setting the Samsung TV color space to "Native" and the firestick 4K dynamic range setting to "always HDR"? I only watch HDR content (amazon prime and youtube) on my firestick 4K, these are the settings that I use and I'm happy with the color, I have a Samsung NU7100.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hard to say if it's a bug, I'd be more inclined to believe it's just how the Fire Stick works. The Stick may have fewer memory allotments that another device like the Apple TV, but then again, the Apple TV is 4 times the cost of the Stick so I suppose you can expect it will operate a bit better than the Stick.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the brief ramp-up time on the Stick but I don't really use it that much either as I prefer the Apple TV and the new Shield I picked up about a week or so ago.
I would be more inclined to say it's related to a encode/bitrate issue in Prime. However, my 2nd gen fire tv box plays 1080p faster than the 4k tv stick. The apple tv and netflix app work flawlessly. Do you have problems with those apps. I get 2160p instantly without problems. However, the prime app on fire tv stick is the worst prime app of any of my streaming devices. I get 4k instantly on prime with android tv, apple tv 4k, and even my sony x700 cheap 4k blu-ray player.

·
Registered
740 Posts
But it's just 45 seconds to a minute. I'm not an Apple guy so no on that. Netflix I'm not sure, never paid attention to if it's 4k right off the bat. I really only care about HDR, 4k is not something I really care too much about.
I hear you, to each their own. It appears that despite the instant 4k issues in Prime Video, you can still fast forward it half way through an episode and movie and it will then play 4k without any frame drops. However, who wants to miss the first minute of a movie in 4k goodness. It appears there is an issue at the beginning of each transfer. This appears to be encode issue, as there is no problem in all other 4k apps and it will work at least half way through the transfer. If it buffered even when skipping half way, it would either drop to 720p or drop frames. It seems most of us on here can't get 4k instantly, so I suggest you guys complain to amazon and maybe they can fix the prime app. I have tried resetting the device to factory settings, changing settings, and even rebooting my router, but I keep having the same issues. If it wasn't for sideloaded apps, I probably wouldn't have bought this device. The prime app is heavily flawed.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
However, who wants to miss the first minute of a movie in 4k goodness.
I explained (or tried to explain) what's happening to you. Your speculations are incorrect and Amazon has given no indication that it's going to change how Prime Video is handled.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I explained (or tried to explain) what's happening to you. Your speculations are incorrect and Amazon has given no indication that it's going to change how Prime Video is handled.
Wait, how do you know my speculations are incorrect? I just said there's no issues with other apps. It's not a network issue, as you suggested in your post. If it was network issue, other apps would struggle. However, others on here claim they have instant 4k on prime(I'm talking instant, not skipping or buffering from HD to 4k, but I have yet to see any evidence of that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried setting the Samsung TV color space to "Native" and the firestick 4K dynamic range setting to "always HDR"? I only watch HDR content (amazon prime and youtube) on my firestick 4K, these are the settings that I use and I'm happy with the color, I have a Samsung NU7100.
Setting color space to Native seems to make the color situation better. However they are still a bit dull compared to SDR content.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone tried to run Kodi on it?
I have bumped into issues running a 4k movies on it on Elementum add-on (torrents based). Currently I'm on wifi with 1 GB network (I do get 300-700 mbps on wifi).
Sometimes it just throws away from Kodi. Like the processor can not handle it...
Does anyone have an idea what I should do?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Setting color space to Native seems to make the color situation better. However they are still a bit dull compared to SDR content.
Make sure to try BOTH settings at the same time, native on the TV and "always HDR" on the fire stick. Even if "always HDR" doesn't work for you as a final configuration (if you watch SDR content some of the time for example) its still worth a try as a diagnostic. I'm interested to know if both settings together gets you to the vibrant colors you're expecting from HDR.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Has anyone tried to run Kodi on it?
I have bumped into issues running a 4k movies on it on Elementum add-on (torrents based). Currently I'm on wifi with 1 GB network (I do get 300-700 mbps on wifi).
Sometimes it just throws away from Kodi. Like the processor can not handle it...
Does anyone have an idea what I should do?
Does your fire tv stick 4k get 4k instantly in Prime Video? If so, it may struggle in Kodi. I was actually getting instant 4k on kodi vs Prime, but there's frame drops when you fastforward content.

1661 - 1680 of 2898 Posts