AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 2898 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I saw the same results with my FireTV 4K sticks and Disney+. Dolby Vision with 5.1 DD+.

Right now the best devices I have for Disney+ playback seem to be my Rokus and Apple TVs. Since I can get Atmos from both of them. And HDR10 from the Rokus and Dolby Vision from the ATV 4Ks.

I hope they enable Atmos from the FireTv stick. Because I would prefer to use that over the ATV 4K. That way I could get DV and Atmos.

Thanks.

Don't understand why you prefer the stick since AppleTV 4K seems to support just about everything, both audio and video according to the Apple site.

I'm trying to make up my mind whether to spend 3x the amount for the AppleTV or just buy the 4K Stick...

·
Registered
730 Posts
@DougDingle I also have a 2016 LG (c6). Firestick 4k (and I'm guessing 4k cube base on @wxman above) Frame matching is broken for all apps accept Prime Video. If you set to auto resolution with frame match On; Jack Ryan S1 with play in Dolby Vision at the correct framerate and resolution. Everything else within the Prime App will also be okay. All other apps (youtube, netflix...) will be at 1080p because the firestick tries to send the output at 2160p60 and our series LG's can't handle it for Dolby Vision (only 2160p30 or lower). I will aggree with wxman that the 1080p DV looks good, but it irks me because I know it "should" be in 4k.

One workaround is to force the Firestick 4k resolution to 2160p24 and then it will work for Netflix/youtube (haven't test Disney+). Problem with this is the menu is a stuttering mess and forget watching sports lol. Plus I got terrible lipsync with my older receiver.

Seems like each of the current streaming devices have it's pluses and minuses, but I find the ATV4K, as much as it pains me to say as a android guy, to be the best all around at the moment.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thanks.

Don't understand why you prefer the stick since AppleTV 4K seems to support just about everything, both audio and video according to the Apple site.

I'm trying to make up my mind whether to spend 3x the amount for the AppleTV or just buy the 4K Stick...

I have had both. I personally ended up selling the Apple TV 4K in favor of the Fire Stick 4K. They are pretty similar. Big differences would be:

Apple TV
-No 4K/HDR YouTube (1080P Only)
-Swipe Remote
-PCM Audio (A lot of TV's only Passthrough 2.1 PCM, so you want to connect to a receiver)
-Atmos with any app that supports it
-Dolby Vision on any app that supports it
-Frame rate matching on a lot of apps (not all)

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
-No Vudu
-Clicker Remote
-HDR10+ with Amazon Prime
-Dolby Vision on any app that supports it (except Apple TV+, that’s only in HDR at the moment).
-Atmos only with Amazon Prime, Movies Anywhere
-Frame rate matching on Amazon Prime only

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anymore questions you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,824
Thanks.

The ATV 4K is the only device I sometimes have issues with the AV sync. And that is with Dolby Vision content. With HDR10 it's fine. Plus I also have multiple devices and try to use them fairly regularly. So I find I prefer the Roku, Shield TV,X800, or FireTV 4K sticks over the ATV 4K overall for streaming content. For one thing or another. Whether, the UI, transport controls, or some feature while watching etc.

Reactions: galonzo and NTTD

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks.

You answered your own question, the ATV costs quite a bit more.

And the Fire 4K stick keeps getting better. It's probably 9/10 the device for 1/4 the price.

Though I too am on the hunt for something for our 2nd TV, trying to decide between the new Fire Cube or new Nvidia Shield.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Upscaling everything to 4K

Vizio P75F1 and new 4k Fire Stick. I have video set to Auto up to 4k, match original on, color format auto and dynamic range is adaptive. I have tried every combo I can think of and the stick upscales everything to 4k in all apps. I would prefer that my TV do the upscaling on 1080 and under. Am I missing something or is this normal?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Vizio P75F1 and new 4k Fire Stick. I have video set to Auto up to 4k, match original on, color format auto and dynamic range is adaptive. I have tried every combo I can think of and the stick upscales everything to 4k in all apps. I would prefer that my TV do the upscaling on 1080 and under. Am I missing something or is this normal?
Yup normal, I believe all the streaming devices do this, I know Roku does as well. Everything is upscaled from the streaming device you are using. No idea why but it does.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No atmos sound

Has anyone on this thread who owns the firetv 4k stick added a second gen fire cube to their system and if so are you receiving atmos in the Netflix app,and Disney plus app?
I am also having issue getting atmos sound. Pioneer elite receiver C-91 which for sure does atmos(thru BD player) but cant get to thru new firestick 4k. Plugged in back of receiver and all cables are 2.2 compliant. Tried Jack ryan but no atmos. Have set to best available audio. I am about done messing with it and ready to send back. Am I missing something? Anything to try that I have not already??

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Yup normal, I believe all the streaming devices do this, I know Roku does as well. Everything is upscaled from the streaming device you are using. No idea why but it does.

Wow. I had no idea. On the list of obnoxious unwanted behavior by hardware that knows better than you what's good for you, that tops the list.

My 2nd gen UHD capable Fire TV doesn't do that.

Reminds of when Apple TV 4K first shipped, and made EVERYTHING, including its own menus, into DolbyVision. But that is typicaly obnoxious "You're stupid - we'll tell you what you need!" Apple behavior.

So just to be clear, you're saying the $5 upscaling chip in the 4K stick is used no matter what the stick is seeing?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Wow. I had no idea. On the list of obnoxious unwanted behavior by hardware that knows better than you what's good for you, that tops the list.

Reminds of when Apple TV 4K first shipped, and made EVERYTHING, including its own menus, into DolbyVision. But that is typicaly obnoxious "You're stupid - we'll tell you what you need!" Apple behavior.

So just to be clear, you're saying the $5 upscaling chip in the 4K stick is used no matter what the stick is seeing?
I believe so. I mean smarter people than me should chimn in because I believe this is the case.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

Yes, you can change the output to 1080P if you would like but then everything will stay that way. When you select Auto Resolution it will just set everything to 4K if it's a 4K TV. I don't know of many devices that actually let the TV do the upconversion except for maybe the Nvidia Shield (I've never owned one). I know that Roku, Apple TV and Fire TV 4K all upconvert to 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Wow. I had no idea. On the list of obnoxious unwanted behavior by hardware that knows better than you what's good for you, that tops the list.....

I'll bet the video chip in the Apple cost as much as the chip is today's TVs. :D

Still the other option is to use your TV's builtin Apps if you think the video is better. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I'll bet the video chip in the Apple cost as much as the chip is today's TVs. :D

Still the other option is to use your TV's builtin Apps if you think the video is better. Good luck.

I like to maintain the fantasy that the upscaler on my expensive LG OLED was selected and matched properly to the panel and looks very good, and so I prefer that it do the upscaling.

The current problem is that while the LG Disney+ app supports UHD, DV, and HDR, it only supports 2 channel PCM audio being sent back to my Denon AVR. The identical hardware supports DD 5.1 audio on the LG's Netflix and Prime apps. Which is why I'm looking for something better that supports the best possible video and audio.

Watching a Marvel movie with 2 channel audio on a system that nicely supports up to 7.2.4 redefines the concept of 'disappointing'. The Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X audio upscalers are not really a solution.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Yes, you can change the output to 1080P if you would like but then everything will stay that way. When you select Auto Resolution it will just set everything to 4K if it's a 4K TV. I don't know of many devices that actually let the TV do the upconversion except for maybe the Nvidia Shield (I've never owned one). I know that Roku, Apple TV and Fire TV 4K all upconvert to 4K.

Nope, it's the same for the Shield. Sadly.:(

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Anyone experience video freezing on certain channels, like ESPN, using the AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now) app? Only happens on Fire TV Stick 4K, not on older Fire devices or Rokus I own.

If you use AT&T TV Now with Fire 4K Stick, tune into ESPN for at least 2-3 minutes, and see if the video freezes (if you'd like to see if you can reproduce this issue).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

I installed a 4K Fire Stick in my Oppo 203 player about a year ago. The Oppo has a unique feature as a player with an HDMI IN input. After some experimentation I decided that the Oppo upscaling to 4K was slightly better than the Fire Stick upscaling to 4K.

I set the Fire Stick to Auto and Match Frame Rate. I set the Oppo HDMI IN to accept only 1080p. The FS sent 1080p at the correct frame rate for all Amazon Prime streaming. [If I wanted to watch a 4K source I would have to change the Oppo to accept 4K instead of 1080p.] This worked perfectly until last Monday, Nov 18, when the FS upscaled all sources to 4K, even though the Oppo was set to only accept 1080p. No setting in the Oppo could prevent the FS from sending 4K. I could set the FS to output 1080p60 but then there was no Frame Rate matching, everything would be 60p.

I called FS support yesterday. The Level 1 support person understood the problem but had no solution. He forwarded to the Level 2 tech support. There is no way to talk to a Level 2 support person.

The other odd change that happened was that previously I was getting RGB color but now I am getting 4K60 420. It looks like FS underwent some major changes last Monday and not for the better.

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,837 (Edited)
The only time I get RGB from my Fire TV 4K stick is when it's sending Dolby Vision HDR content to my TV..

Reactions: galonzo and GGA

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I installed a 4K Fire Stick in my Oppo 203 player about a year ago. The Oppo has a unique feature as a player with an HDMI IN input. After some experimentation I decided that the Oppo upscaling to 4K was slightly better than the Fire Stick upscaling to 4K.

I called FS support yesterday. The Level 1 support person understood the problem but had no solution. He forwarded to the Level 2 tech support. There is no way to talk to a Level 2 support person.

I have found in the past that leaving a scathing one star review about any Amazon branded Fire-based product results in an almost immediate email asking for more details and how can we fix this for you...

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Anyone experience video freezing on certain channels, like ESPN, using the AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now) app? Only happens on Fire TV Stick 4K, not on older Fire devices or Rokus I own.

If you use AT&T TV Now with Fire 4K Stick, tune into ESPN for at least 2-3 minutes, and see if the video freezes (if you'd like to see if you can reproduce this issue).
I know I'm not the only one with this issue. There are a couple of threads on AT&T support forums about it with no resolution. Hard to believe no one here has this issue.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hey guys,

So I had my Fire stick TV 4K for over a week now and I tried it directly pluged to TV and into my AVR.

Audio works as it should, DD+, Atmos and whatnot but no matter which app or if it is plugged into AVR or TV, I get audio cut outs that last half a second every 10 - 20 minutes very randomly.

I've read a TON of posts of people experiencing the same thing but I have not seen even a hint of a solution nor an actual cause.

I'm sure the fine folks here at AVS know more about this!

What's the latest we know on this?

1821 - 1840 of 2898 Posts