AVS Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 2898 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi folks I'm still learning about the Fire TV Stick 4K and considering buying it primarily for 4K UHD HDR streaming from Amazon Prime.
My current router is only 802.11n and my wifi reception may not be strong at the intended use location. However I have full access to hardwired
Ethernet from the wall so I was hoping to use that connection with the Fire TV Stick for 4K UHD streaming. But I just learned that
this device doesn't have Ethernet support but it can be added with a separate adapter from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Ethernet-Adapter-Fire-Devices/dp/B074TC662N

However this adapter seems to only support 10/100 Ethernet so I'm wondering whether I'd be able to achieve my end goal (seamless 4K UHD streaming) with this adapter. What do you recommend for someone in my situation?

a) Does another Ethernet adapter solution exists for Fire TV Stick 4K?
b) Spend money on router upgrade to 802.11ac while I already have full house wired Ethernet?
c) Spend money on an alternative solution such as Nvidia Shield TV? (my primary use will still be Amazon prime streaming)

·
Registered
18,523 Posts
Hi folks I'm still learning about the Fire TV Stick 4K and considering buying it primarily for 4K UHD HDR streaming from Amazon Prime.
My current router is only 802.11n and my wifi reception may not be strong at the intended use location. However I have full access to hardwired
Ethernet from the wall so I was hoping to use that connection with the Fire TV Stick for 4K UHD streaming. But I just learned that
this device doesn't have Ethernet support but it can be added with a separate adapter from Amazon:

However this adapter seems to only support 10/100 Ethernet so I'm wondering whether I'd be able to achieve my end goal (seamless 4K UHD streaming) with this adapter. What do you recommend for someone in my situation?

b) Spend money on router upgrade to 802.11ac while I already have full house wired Ethernet?
c) Spend money on an alternative solution such as Nvidia Shield TV? (my primary use will still be Amazon prime streaming)
https://www.amazon.com/TV-xStream-Adapter-Micro-Cable/dp/B07XLP5DJB/

Anything with the AX88179 chipset will work fine. Just make sure you get one of these adapters with it. N should be fast enough, especially if you get good throughput- how fast are your connections?

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I've been using that adapter into a G-bit network for years and never a single issue. Highly recommended, it has several times more throughput than you need for 4K HDR streaming.

·
Registered
507 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/TV-xStream-Adapter-Micro-Cable/dp/B07XLP5DJB/

Anything with the AX88179 chipset will work fine. Just make sure you get one of these adapters with it. N should be fast enough, especially if you get good throughput- how fast are your connections?
I'm a bit confused about this adapter you listed. Where is the Ethernet port? How do I use it?
According to speedtest my hardwire connection speed to my PC is around 87M/6M (DL/UL).
Thanks!

p.s: Perhaps I need this with that?
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0/

·
Registered
18,523 Posts
I'm a bit confused about this adapter you listed. Where is the Ethernet port? How do I use it?
According to speedtest my hardwire connection speed to my PC is around 87M/6M (DL/UL).
Thanks!

p.s: Perhaps I need this with that?
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0/
That one should work although I'm not familiar with it. I bought a random one off eBay and it seems to work fine.

I'll let others chime in here because they probably know for certain which ones work best. I mostly use wifi and it works fine.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

I use that adapter on one of my FireTV Stick 4ks. Never had an issue playing any of my 4k HDR rips.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
By the way, do you know if this adapter is USB3.0? Description is not clear ..

If you're asking about the Amazon labeled adapter, it's USB2, based on its speed and connector.

It is essentially a USB2 to ethernet adapter with the driver for it built into the stick.

It's likely it will work fine to stream 4K, but the only way to know is to try it. Amazon is good about taking items back, especially around this time of year.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hey guys,

So I had my Fire stick TV 4K for over a week now and I tried it directly pluged to TV and into my AVR.

Audio works as it should, DD+, Atmos and whatnot but no matter which app or if it is plugged into AVR or TV, I get audio cut outs that last half a second every 10 - 20 minutes very randomly.

I've read a TON of posts of people experiencing the same thing but I have not seen even a hint of a solution nor an actual cause.

I'm sure the fine folks here at AVS know more about this!

What's the latest we know on this?
So no one here is experiencing half second audio drop outs every once in a while???

Seems very common from the posts I saw....

·
Registered
409 Posts
So no one here is experiencing half second audio drop outs every once in a while???

Seems very common from the posts I saw....

I have 2 Fire stick TV 4K's and also have never had any audio drop-outs. Both on WiFi.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
570 Posts
By the way, do you know if this adapter is USB3.0? Description is not clear ..
It doesn't matter. The Firestick is a USB2 device and can't go over about 400mbit throughput. It will work up to that speed with whatever gigabit adapter you find on Amazon. (They're all pumped out of the same Chinese factory based on one of two chipsets and sold under different labels.)

If your goal is streaming from UHD disc backups, the Shield is a better choice since it can bitstream the full lossless audio.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi does anyone use this with Xfinity?

I am getting on that service in a few days and they told me the cost includes one TV for my other TVs I need to use
an Xfinity app to watch and said FA is not compatible but Roku is.

Is this true? Anyway to side load it (I think that’s what it’s called?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What’s the point of these fancy USB cables I’m seeing on Amazon for powering your stick directly from the TV? If my TV has 5 volt, 1 amp USB ports can’t I just power the stick from my TV with a plain USB to USB micro cord?

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
What’s the point of these fancy USB cables I’m seeing on Amazon for powering your stick directly from the TV? If my TV has 5 volt, 1 amp USB ports can’t I just power the stick from my TV with a plain USB to USB micro cord?
A USB port with 1A rating has to be USB-3.0. But the issue isn't only the amount of current it can provide, it also has to maintain voltage within FTV specs at those loads. The $1 USB controllers in TVs don't always make the grade in that respect. The provided FTV power wart is still your best option. And if you ever need support for some buggy issue the first thing they will tell you is to use the FTV power supply. Those "special" USB cables are meant to alleviate those issues, but I note that none of them specifically mention the FTV Stick 4K, only the previous versions.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
A USB port with 1A rating has to be USB-3.0. But the issue isn't only the amount of current it can provide, it also has to maintain voltage within FTV specs at those loads. The $1 USB controllers in TVs don't always make the grade in that respect. The provided FTV power wart is still your best option. And if you ever need support for some buggy issue the first thing they will tell you is to use the FTV power supply. Those "special" USB cables are meant to alleviate those issues, but I note that none of them specifically mention the FTV Stick 4K, only the previous versions.
FWIW I can power my NES and SNES classic from the TV, both of which require 5V1A. If those work is it likely this will?

·
Registered
507 Posts
It doesn't matter. The Firestick is a USB2 device and can't go over about 400mbit throughput. It will work up to that speed with whatever gigabit adapter you find on Amazon. (They're all pumped out of the same Chinese factory based on one of two chipsets and sold under different labels.)

If your goal is streaming from UHD disc backups, the Shield is a better choice since it can bitstream the full lossless audio.
Yes I came to the same conclusion about the USB Ethernet after reading more about this now. With todays Amazon BF sales Firestick 4K is so cheap
that I ordered one already. Now I have to decide on a cheap Ethernet adapter without costing more than the Firestick itself :D

For streaming UHD disc backups I already have a steady dedicated streamer with lossless Audio so the firestick will just be for 4K HDR online streaming mostly for Amazon Prime.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Firestick Keeps Resetting

I have a problem watching Disney+, my firestick keeps restarting. Last night I was able to watch the new show by Jeff Goldblum in 4K with no problem, and then I went to watch the new Dumbo and 4K/Dolby Vision and my firestick started to reboot about 5 minutes in. This happened 4 times before I was able to get to the menu. I then went to Netflix and had no problems. Anyone else have this issue?

1841 - 1860 of 2898 Posts