AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 2973 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know 3600H have HCP2.3. I was merely trying to say that I dont consider it that big of of a deal as a feature since the real life application is far in the future for me.
That's what I was thinking too. I guess its hard to tell since all these capabilities and requirements seem so fluid since there really isn't any 8K content. This is the first AVR I have bought in a long time so I just wanted to make sure I make a good decision. As for the Bluetooth/Airplay note we do have all iPhones but we also use Echos around the house. So we are sort of a mixed eco-system in that respect but AirPlay2 would work fine. In terms of Bluetooth I was thinking more of being able to use Bluetooth headphones in late night listening to not disturb the kids who may be sleeping. I suppose in the end that one feature is a small one. Maybe there is another workaround or way to get the same functionality that wouldn't cost too much?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,442
That's what I was thinking too. I guess its hard to tell since all these capabilities and requirements seem so fluid since there really isn't any 8K content. This is the first AVR I have bought in a long time so I just wanted to make sure I make a good decision. As for the Bluetooth/Airplay note we do have all iPhones but we also use Echos around the house. So we are sort of a mixed eco-system in that respect but AirPlay2 would work fine. In terms of Bluetooth I was thinking more of being able to use Bluetooth headphones in late night listening to not disturb the kids who may be sleeping. I suppose in the end that one feature is a small one. Maybe there is another workaround or way to get the same functionality that wouldn't cost too much?

Thanks
For 2018 and earlier models, a 3rd party Bluetooth transmitter can be connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs and is relatively inexpensive. Google is your friend. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nope. The X3600H and X4500H both have the same HDMI monitor out capabilities (ie. main zone - 2ea, Zone 2 - 1ea).
Thank you for clarifying, and sorry if I confused anyone. We talked quite a few different receivers and apparently I had remembered wrong. I do recall when you mentioned multiple zones I was thinking I could hook me up something outside where I like to grill and chill. :cool:

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,444
Thank you for clarifying, and sorry if I confused anyone. We talked quite a few different receivers and apparently I had remembered wrong. I do recall when you mentioned multiple zones I was thinking I could hook me up something outside where I like to grill and chill. :cool:
Correct. I'm simply clarifying that the Zone 2 capability is the same on both models.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Thanks
Your TV might already have a bluetooth transmitter so check that out. If you do, then you can just use that to receive audio on your headphone. For movies, it depends what you are using as source and that might have bluetooth transmitter too. Even if you get the 3600H and use the bluetooth feature, audio quality may be sub-par. As far as I know, these Denons dont have APT-X or any sort of codecs built in so there might be some latency and quality issues. As I said, I only use Airplay.

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,447
Where in the manual can I find how to select to process 11 channels with the Front L/R driven by the external power amplifier?
It's not listed in the manual; however, when you set AMP ASSIGN = 11.1Ch, one setting for "Pre-Out" is "Front".

Assign Mode: 11.1
Floor
- Layout
: 5ch & SB
Height
– Height Sp
: 4ch
- Layout: Top Front + Top Rear
- Pre-out: Front

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone else been having issues with the Bluetooth skipping/stuttering? The unit was working fine when I bought, but I updated the firmware and its been terrible since then.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's not listed in the manual; however, when you set AMP ASSIGN = 11.1Ch, one setting for "Pre-Out" is "Front".

Assign Mode: 11.1

Floor

- Layout
: 5ch & SB

Height

– Height Sp
: 4ch

- Layout: Top Front + Top Rear

- Pre-out: Front
Thanks JD!
Why would they omit this from the manual!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone would be able to test something for me on their X3600H.

For context, this is a digital clipping issue I'm having which has been present on three receivers for me so far: Originally an Arcam AVR550, then a NAD T778, and now the X3600H which I received today.

Long story short, the issue manifests itself as an audible crackle in the front speakers during loud sections of certain songs, which is definitely not present on the original recording. This is independent of the volume setting on the receiver. The issue ONLY seems to happen when both:

- The front speakers are set to "small"
AND
- The receiver is being fed a stereo stream via HDMI, at any bit-depth or sample rate

The issue disappears if the front speakers are set to "large" with a stereo input. Equally, the issue disappears when using a 7.1 input, even if the front speaker crossovers are still engaged.

If the source volume is lowered digitally (e.g turning down the volume in Windows to around 80%), the issue disappears.

This suggests there is an issue with the bass management of stereo inputs, specifically the high pass crossovers.

Here is my original post regarding the issue with the Arcam:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2194337-arcam-avr-850-arcam-avr-550-a-119.html#post59332968

And here is another when I discovered the same issue with the NAD:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3123286-official-nad-t-778-thread-13.html#post59648754

Markus767 from the NAD threads alerted me to this song by Rhye which makes the distortion very obvious. This issue has been documented by Markus with his NAD T758, and I believe from a handful of other users with various NAD receivers.

For those of you who'd like to hear what the distortion sounds like, I've uploaded two recordings which show the distortion being present on the NAD when speakers are set to small, but no distortion when set to large:

https://soundcloud.com/user-464554616/sets/nad-t778-distortion-issues/s-nrJp5pQ8RhT

The distortion sounds identical on the X3600H.

That section of the track is mastered very hot, and it seems like something is pushing the signal levels above 0dBFS when the high pass crossover is engaged.

I would be very grateful if some of you could test the following on your units:

- A source connected via HDMI, with the source volume set to maximum
- The output format from the source should be stereo, not multichannel (for example a windows pc, or the spotify app on the nvidia shield)
- The song: "Feel Your Weight" by Rhye (Album version) at around 2:50. This is the section in the recording I posted
- On the Denon, I have Audyssey disabled as I haven't set it up yet
- All speaker distances are set to 0, and levels are set to 0.
- Front speakers set to small (my crossover is set to 80hz but it doesn't seem to matter much)

Does anyone notice a similar crackling sound during that section of the song, with the above settings?

Please note that this behaviour has remained identical between numerous HDMI sources; I have tested two different Windows PCs, plus a Macbook Pro, and a Nvidia Shield Pro. With the Denon however, streaming spotify directly to the receiver (via Spotify Connect) does not result in distortion. So perhaps on the Denon, this is a HDMI-only issue?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The plot thickens...

Found this post from a user back in 2017 who reported pretty much the exact same problem as me, but with a previous generation Denon:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2848986-crackling-distortion-some-stereo-audio-subwoofer-crossover-enabled.html#post53128026

...who then switched to a Yamaha unit, and found it also had the distortion problem:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2457106-official-yamaha-rx-a1060-rx-a2060-rx-a3060-aventage-avr-thread-157.html#post53320594

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
The plot thickens...

Found this post from a user back in 2017 who reported pretty much the exact same problem as me, but with a previous generation Denon:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2848986-crackling-distortion-some-stereo-audio-subwoofer-crossover-enabled.html#post53128026

...who then switched to a Yamaha unit, and found it also had the distortion problem:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2457106-official-yamaha-rx-a1060-rx-a2060-rx-a3060-aventage-avr-thread-157.html#post53320594
Crossovers aren't brick wall filters and happening over multiple makes and models means it's a source related issue.

Reactions: D Bone

·
Registered
35 Posts
Crossovers aren't brick wall filters and happening over multiple makes and models means it's a source related issue.
I know they're not brick wall filters, but enabling a high pass crossover surely shouldn't induce clipping?

I'd love to believe it's a source issue, but four different sources behave the same way. If it was a source issue, surely you'd expect to see the same clipping artefacts regardless of whether the mains crossover was enabled?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I know they're not brick wall filters, but enabling a high pass crossover surely shouldn't induce clipping?

I'd love to believe it's a source issue, but four different sources behave the same way. If it was a source issue, surely you'd expect to see the same clipping artefacts regardless of whether the mains crossover was enabled?
First off you need to run Audyssey's setup as you have no idea what your actual levels are unless you've level matched your speakers using an SPL meter thus comparing them to others who have run Audyssey is apple's to oranges until you do. Chances of it being a software issue across several makes and models is less than 0 that's why I say it's a source issue. Best to run Audyssey all 8 mic locations and recheck crossovers and bass mgmt. settings after and then report back if things are still distorting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First off you need to run Audyssey's setup as you have no idea what your actual levels are unless you've level matched your speakers using an SPL meter thus comparing them to others who have run Audyssey is apple's to oranges until you do. Chances of it being a software issue across several makes and models is less than 0 that's why I say it's a source issue. Best to run Audyssey all 8 mic locations and recheck crossovers and bass mgmt. settings after and then report back if things are still distorting.
I'm really not sure what level matching my speakers has to do with a digital clipping issue. This problem is irrespective of the volume level on the Denon.

I just ran through the full Audyssey setup with the app, and hasn't fixed the issue.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I'm really not sure what level matching my speakers has to do with a digital clipping issue. This problem is irrespective of the volume level on the Denon.

I just ran through the full Audyssey setup with the app, and hasn't fixed the issue.
Because you're saying pick this song and pick this time stamp and pick this input level and 2 channel sound mode but don't standardize the output level. Also Audyssey applies EQ and a set target curve to the incoming signal so having that be the same when comparing to other owners here who mostly all use Audyssey just removes another variance.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
No but now others can test using the same baseline across the board. There's almost always something someone decided isn't important to test with that ends up being a contributing issue. Process of elimination at least if it's not. Also if this is just happening with certain source material then it is still partially a source issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No but now others can test using the same baseline across the board. There's almost always something someone decided isn't important to test with that ends up being a contributing issue. Process of elimination at least if it's not. Also if this is just happening with certain source material then it is still partially a source issue.
I get what you're saying, but I have been extremely methodical throughout this whole process. I wanted to test with Audyssey anyway to see if it adjusted the headroom in the crossover section of the signal processing, but it appears it doesn't. EQ and level adjustment seems to be happening downstream of crossovers.

I think we have different definitions of what a source issue is...

Just because a song is mastered hot, doesn't mean that the source device has an issue with its output. The Denon processes that incoming signal and applies filters to it, but it shouldn't introduce majorly audible distortion artefacts that simply weren't there in the original material.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I really do like my 2600h I just wish they had relays that were slighly more silent, they are really loud!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I get what you're saying, but I have been extremely methodical throughout this whole process. I wanted to test with Audyssey anyway to see if it adjusted the headroom in the crossover section of the signal processing, but it appears it doesn't. EQ and level adjustment seems to be happening downstream of crossovers.

I think we have different definitions of what a source issue is...

Just because a song is mastered hot, doesn't mean that the source device has an issue with its output. The Denon processes that incoming signal and applies filters to it, but it shouldn't introduce majorly audible distortion artefacts that simply weren't there in the original material.
Yes we do as music has no standardized requirements for mastering and remember it's not just the Denon. Looking for affirmation over information when troubleshooting is always the trap. Again telling everyone to only do the specific things you want them to do to reproduce something ain't the way to go about it. At worst you've found some connection between certain hot tracks and bass mgmt. settings that almost no one but you and a few others have made mention of and the fact that it's not being talked about more in threads is a tell to me. I would be going bonkers if i heard what I listened to on Soundcloud but I ain't and most everyone else ain't either. Still curious to see what others report back but short of the majority of musical content reproducing this when highpassed it's pretty much an anomalous nothing burger to me.

2441 - 2460 of 2973 Posts