AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2918 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had my X3600H for a few weeks now. I am confused about the Audessy setup and setting the speaker size to "small" so that my subs are used for stereo music and TV audio. I have a 5.2 speaker setup with GoldenEar Triton 7's, SuperCenter X, Invisa 525 surrounds and two ForceField 3 subs.

Audessy sets the speakers to Large because of the full range capability of the Tritons, however the setup guide at the beginning of this thread (and virtually all advice I see) says they should be set to Small. The only way I see to do that is in Manual Setup, which I think overrides the Audessy settings.

If I rerun the Audessy setup after manually setting the speakers to small, will this keep the crossovers so that the subs are on more and not just for LFE on movies?
Common setup is speakers set to small crossover set at 80 and [email protected] If you run pure direct for music which I do with my towers most of the time it runs them full range and shuts audyssey off and any corrections and sub. Setting speakers to small let's you change crossover settings. Audyssey after calibration has my towers and center set at 40 and surrounds at 60 which is fine but I like the sub to handle more of the low end. It's more of a personal preference as long as you stay in your speaker specs. My heights I run at 100hz and my front stage and surrounds all at 80hz.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,482
Can the X2600H's speaker configuration be set to:

Front Left Height
Front Left
Center
Front Right
Front Right Height

? I'm looking at the online manual and don't see this option, though I thought I did before purchasing the X2600H.
Yes. A 3.1.2 configuration is possible.

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,483
I've had my X3600H for a few weeks now. I am confused about the Audessy setup and setting the speaker size to "small" so that my subs are used for stereo music and TV audio. I have a 5.2 speaker setup with GoldenEar Triton 7's, SuperCenter X, Invisa 525 surrounds and two ForceField 3 subs.

Audessy sets the speakers to Large because of the full range capability of the Tritons, however the setup guide at the beginning of this thread (and virtually all advice I see) says they should be set to Small. The only way I see to do that is in Manual Setup, which I think overrides the Audessy settings.

If I rerun the Audessy setup after manually setting the speakers to small, will this keep the crossovers so that the subs are on more and not just for LFE on movies?
1. Audyssey only refers to the actual EQ curve that is created after running Audyssey Setup. Audyssey then passes the -3dB point of the speakers to the AVR and the AVR makes the speaker settings (ie. LARGE/SMALL, level, distance, crossover).
2. You can then go into Manual Setup and change these settings (eg. LARGE-->SMALL and raise the crossover from 40Hhz/60Hz --->80Hz) without impacting the EQ curve.
3. If you rerun Audyssey Setup, all current settings are ignored.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Awesome. Thank you; exactly the info that I need.

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,485 (Edited)
Although product rep YouTube videos released last year indicated the 2019 X3600H and lower models would not be replaced this year (rather only the 2018 X4500H/X6500H), a Denon YouTube video was just posted (see link below) that discusses a successor to the X3600H, the X3700H. A press release from Sound United is expected in the next few weeks regarding what other 2020 models will be released and most likely when they will be available.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3061882-where-all-hdmi-2-1-avrs-17.html#post59706714

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guys. My basement theater room is setup for 7.1 with an older Onkyo now. However, the HDMI board is dead, so really I'm getting upmixed 5.1 signal from optical to my 7 channels.
I'm feeling the itch to upgrade.
L/R Polk Monitor 60
C: Polk CS1
Surround: Polk Monitor 50
Rears: (currently at an atmos height from a previous home owner which is not proper): Polk Monitor 30

I'm thinking of going 7.1.4. Making front and rear atmos Polk monitor 30's and bringing a set of Monitor 40s at rear floor level.

After doing a bunch of research. I think I like the specs of the Denon X3600H.
My TV is 4K HDR, but nothing too fancy after that. I think this receiver should handle the video processing without too much trouble.
Anything to look out for? The current market is pretty wild with many receivers not available from what I assume is COVID related.
I was really looking to pick one up used eventually. Have most of you guys bought the post amp and put the L/R channels? I'd like to hear some feedback.
Anything to look out for?
Before you start thinking about buying external amp and utilize all the 11 channels, you could be thinking about adding a 2nd sub and just stay in a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 setup. I know what you are thinking and what the spec says, but in real life, you would see biggest sound improvement in your HT
setup is by adding a second sub. Way more noticeable audible difference than adding a pair 5th or 7th surround speakers. X3600H let you do that nicely with 2 independent sub control. I am talking from experience.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have an X1600.
When playing a recorded show from my cable/TiVo box, if I fast forward single speed for more than 5 sec or so, Or any time double or triple speed or in reverse, the audio will drop out and can only recover by turning the AVR off/on.

Connections all hdmi
TiVo into passive switch/splitter
Splitter output 1 to TV hdmi 1
Splitter output 2 to AVR
AVR to TV hdmi2/ARC

Have also tried the TV optical out to AVR and get same result.

WTF?:confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have an X1600.
When playing a recorded show from my cable/TiVo box, if I fast forward single speed for more than 5 sec or so, Or any time double or triple speed or in reverse, the audio will drop out and can only recover by turning the AVR off/on.

Connections all hdmi
Splitter output 2 to AVR
AVR to TV hdmi2/ARC

Have you reported this to Denon?

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,492
I have an X1600.

Connections all hdmi
Splitter output 2 to AVR
AVR to TV hdmi2/ARC

Can't speak for the optical issue, but HDMI handshake issues (audio and/or video related) are not uncommon especially with some cable/sat brands/models. When I had DirecTV years ago, I would resolve handshake issues by simply changing to a different channel and then return to my original channel. I've had CenturyLink now for 5 years and the only handshake issue I have is when I need to freeze the TV show for awhile to do another activity and also turn off the TV to avoid burn-in. When I power the TV back on and continue the show, the video appears but there is no audio so I must power off the AVR for a few seconds and then power it on again to bring back the audio.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hmmm ... doesn’t sound promising ... drives wife crazy.
Since they share a lot, are these also common in Marantz’ lineup?
Any brand that seems particularly immune?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can't speak for the optical issue, but HDMI handshake issues (audio and/or video related) are not uncommon especially with some cable/sat brands/models. When I had DirecTV years ago, I would resolve handshake issues by simply changing to a different channel and then return to my original channel. I've had CenturyLink now for 5 years and the only handshake issue I have is when I need to freeze the TV show for awhile to do another activity and also turn off the TV to avoid burn-in. When I power the TV back on and continue the show, the video appears but there is no audio so I must power off the AVR for a few seconds and then power it on again to bring back the audio.
Why not connect the TiVo to a receiver input and the AVR out to the TV? This would eliminate the splitter and HDMI handshakes with the splitter.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Why not connect the TiVo to a receiver input and the AVR out to the TV? This would eliminate the splitter and HDMI handshakes with the splitter.
Already had the issue ... got the splitter so wife can just use the TV internal speakers and bypass the AVR. Issue remains the same if routing thru AVR.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see. Does the sound drop out when using the TV speakers too or only the AVR sound?

·
Registered
143 Posts
1. Audyssey only refers to the actual EQ curve that is created after running Audyssey Setup. Audyssey then passes the -3dB point of the speakers to the AVR and the AVR makes the speaker settings (ie. LARGE/SMALL, level, distance, crossover).
2. You can then go into Manual Setup and change these settings (eg. LARGE-->SMALL and raise the crossover from 40Hhz/60Hz --->80Hz) without impacting the EQ curve.
3. If you rerun Audyssey Setup, all current settings are ignored.
I am sorry for my ignorance, but I am a new user (4500h) and ran my setup today and am confused...it set my front 3 to large and if I go in manually change it for 2 channel mode (and tv watching), I put the mains to small, and it allows me to use the sub when in 2 channel mode...that part I got....but if I go into the manual speaker settings and change all speakers to small and increase crossover to 80 (and put LFE at 120), if I go back into audyssey and have it restore the settings it made when I ran it, it changes all my speakers back to large...(the 2 channel mode stays at small and 80 crossover though).

Do most folks run audyssey and then go into the manual settings and change to small and 80 crossover, etc? (this is for 90% movies and tv watching...10% music, but the music is handled in 2 channel with the sub as mentioned above which is good as I dont like listening in different sound modes). First time with Audyssey...I have had yamaha and onkyo in the past, this is first Denon so I am obviously a little confused:confused:

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,499
I am sorry for my ignorance, but I am a new user (4500h) and ran my setup today and am confused...it set my front 3 to large and if I go in manually change it for 2 channel mode (and tv watching), I put the mains to small, and it allows me to use the sub when in 2 channel mode...that part I got....but if I go into the manual speaker settings and change all speakers to small and increase crossover to 80 (and put LFE at 120), if I go back into audyssey and have it restore the settings it made when I ran it, it changes all my speakers back to large...(the 2 channel mode stays at small and 80 crossover though).

Do most folks run audyssey and then go into the manual settings and change to small and 80 crossover, etc? (this is for 90% movies and tv watching...10% music, but the music is handled in 2 channel with the sub as mentioned above which is good as I dont like listening in different sound modes). First time with Audyssey...I have had yamaha and onkyo in the past, this is first Denon so I am obviously a little confused:confused:
This thread is for discussion of the 2019 models, while the X4500H is a 2018 model discussed in the 2018 Denon AVR Owner's thread. Please repost there. Note also that a lot of helpful information is provided in the first 8 posts of that thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2973392-official-2018-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-posts-1-8-a.html

2481 - 2500 of 2918 Posts