AVS Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 3303 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
At this point it's adding any number of devices. Consider all those devices vs the cost of replacing/upgrading the AVR.

Are you always just trying to mirror the L/R of the main zone, or do you want independent sources to the 2 zones?

This may sound like a downgrade, but I see an AVR-X3200W on ebay.ca (item 154113747736, shipped from the US) that might solve your problems if you don't mind a used item without warranty.
No Heos, but it doesn't appear that you're using it anyway. It would have the same Audyssey XT room correction as the X1600H, and digital sources get passed Zone 2.
Additionally it has HDMI Zone 2, so the AVR-991 could get surround, not just stereo.
With up-to-date firmware, it would passes Dolby Vision, HLG and HDR10 for 4K HDR to the LG OLED.
thanks again Philpoe ! Just to further clarify - I’m upgrading my living room with new av gear which has two zones; 1/ tv/surround system 2/ high fidelity stereo audio in another part of the room. Zone two is used for audio only. Sources include smart tv, cable box, apple tv, iphone. CD, phono. My receiver is only one month old and I may be able to exchange the 1600h for a 3600h. My goals are 1/high quality audio from zone 2 2/ excellent video/sound on zone 1 3/ease of use for operating, and especially, switching zones.

options so far:
  • extractor (3 units)
  • streaming device
  • may work using “all zone stereo direct”
  • upgrade receiver

I’ve spent a fair bit already and am willing to spend more if necessary to get good performance.

It sounds like the last option would be the best solution given my system requirement ?

thanks for your help with this !

Tim

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If it's available to you and you don't mind the cost, upgrading to the AVR-X3600H solves your Zone 2 problems, and offers HDMI Zone 2 and improved room correction.
Also, with the extra channels, it allows for potential future upgrades to an Atmos system with the same unit.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to drive the high-fidelity stereo in Zone 2?
The X3600H offers excellent stereo audio performance on its own and analog preouts if care to use an external amp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it's available to you and you don't mind the cost, upgrading to the AVR-X3600H solves your Zone 2 problems, and offers HDMI Zone 2 and improved room correction.
Also, with the extra channels, it allows for potential future upgrades to an Atmos system with the same unit.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to drive the high-fidelity stereo in Zone 2?
The X3600H offers excellent stereo audio performance on its own and analog preouts if care to use an external amp.
thanks Philpoe, For zone 2 I could use either my old AVR991 fed from 3600 pre out, or direct from the 3600 receiver to zone 2 speakers. Which of these arrangements do you think would produce superior zone 2 audio, without complicating operation of zone one ?

thanks again

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you do upgrade/replace the X1600H, you'd have the opportunity to try them both for yourself and see which sounds best to you.
Even with the X1600H, you could use the Zone 2 speaker posts and drive them from the AVR directly now.

I'm still a little puzzled by the behavior the X1600H is exhibiting. I understand why the AppleTV won't play to Zone 2 as an HDMI source, but if besides the CD and Phono, if you're planning to play music via Spotify, my understanding was that the AVR-X1600H could play supported streaming apps out to the Zone 2 preouts.

Here's the list of apps Heos supports (listed from heos):
Spotify, Pandora, Napster, Deezer, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Mood:Mix, SoundCloud and Amazon Music plus music on your phone or tablet, USB storage and analog sources.

If they could go to Zone 2, do you still need audio from the AppleTV or the LGs internal apps?

It might be worth exhausting this option before spending a non-trivial amount of money on another AVR.

thanks Philpoe, For zone 2 I could use either my old AVR991 fed from 3600 pre out, or direct from the 3600 receiver to zone 2 speakers. Which of these arrangements do you think would produce superior zone 2 audio, without complicating operation of zone one ?

thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you do upgrade/replace the X1600H, you'd have the opportunity to try them both for yourself and see which sounds best to you.
Even with the X1600H, you could use the Zone 2 speaker posts and drive them from the AVR directly now.

I'm still a little puzzled by the behavior the X1600H is exhibiting. I understand why the AppleTV won't play to Zone 2 as an HDMI source, but if besides the CD and Phono, if you're planning to play music via Spotify, my understanding was that the AVR-X1600H could play supported streaming apps out to the Zone 2 preouts.

Spotify, Pandora, Napster, Deezer, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Mood:Mix, SoundCloud and Amazon Music plus music on your phone or tablet, USB storage and analog sources.

If they could go to Zone 2, do you still need audio from the AppleTV or the LGs internal apps?

It might be worth exhausting this option before spending a non-trivial amount of money on another AVR.
Thanks Philpoe, went back and tried again and got Spotify and Airplay both working on zone 2

Thanks again Philpoe, Totally agree with your comments. Upgrading will cost me another 1k or so and I’d like to avoid that if possible. Spent more time trying to get it to work from the iPhone. I did manage to get both Spotify and Airplay to work but took a lot of fiddling and seems inconsistent. The 1600 remote controls both receivers so the 991 needs to be set at the console. Also, settings seem to change on the fly (perhaps due to ARC?). Like turning off zone 1 for the 1600 causes the TV direct audio to come on. Turning the tv off, turned off the 1600h. The app said it had no connection to the network so I restarted the phone and that resolved that. Not sure exactly how HEOS relates to Airplay. If I could at least get Airplay and Spotify consistently out of zone 2, I would be fine sticking with the 1600. But spending 15 min each time I want to use zone 2, could be a deal breaker for me. I would like to play my zone 2 audio with the tv turned off. Also, the Apple box seems to be taking control and switching to that input on it’s own is the system is idle.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Glad to hear that you have it working.
Something that you may want to consider spending a little money on is a programmable remote control solution like a Harmony Hub/Elite, or anything that allows macro programming via the smartphone/tablet over wifi.
With that you could turn CEC off, and prevent quirky behavior that's sometimes comes with it. With the LED leads connected directly to each receiver, you may be able to program in a way to isolate the X1600H from the 991. You may want to check in the remote control forum about that.

Another option is to set the AVR-991 to always play from the AVR-X1600H input, then cover the IR sensor with tape. You'll have to power it on by hand, but the remote won't interfere with it. Then it's basically an (over-featured!) amp, but that's apparently how you planned to use it anyway. You might consider trading out the 991 for a dedicated stereo amp.

Now that you have Zone 2 working, you may want to try the speaker posts to see if the X1600H sounds good enough to use Zone 2 for your audio by itself.

Thanks Philpoe, went back and tried again and got Spotify and Airplay both working on zone 2

Thanks again Philpoe, Totally agree with your comments. Upgrading will cost me another 1k or so and I’d like to avoid that if possible. Spent more time trying to get it to work from the iPhone. I did manage to get both Spotify and Airplay to work but took a lot of fiddling and seems inconsistent. The 1600 remote controls both receivers so the 991 needs to be set at the console. Also, settings seem to change on the fly (perhaps due to ARC?). Like turning off zone 1 for the 1600 causes the TV direct audio to come on. Turning the tv off, turned off the 1600h. The app said it had no connection to the network so I restarted the phone and that resolved that. Not sure exactly how HEOS relates to Airplay. If I could at least get Airplay and Spotify consistently out of zone 2, I would be fine sticking with the 1600. But spending 15 min each time I want to use zone 2, could be a deal breaker for me. I would like to play my zone 2 audio with the tv turned off. Also, the Apple box seems to be taking control and switching to that input on it’s own is the system is idle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks Philpoe, I’ve taken the 991 off line and am using speaker terminals 6 and 7 to drive zone two. That seems to work a lot more consistently with easier volume/zone control. As and added bonus, Spotify and Airplay are defaulting to zone 2 on startup with other sources starting up on zone 1 which is so much easier to operate. Not sure how that happened but it did.

thanks for all your help - it was very much appreciated !

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks Philpoe, I’ve taken the 991 off line and am using speaker terminals 6 and 7 to drive zone two. That seems to work a lot more consistently with easier volume/zone control. As and added bonus, Spotify and Airplay are defaulting to zone 2 on startup with other sources starting up on zone 1 which is so much easier to operate. Not sure how that happened but it did.

thanks for all your help - it was very much appreciated !
and another bonus, using “all zone stereo” as you suggested, I just discovered that I can play the apple box on zone 2. The trick is to turn down zone 1 volume. If you turn zone 1 off, zone 2 cuts out as well, but zone 2 works with zone 1 volume set at zero.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
jdsmoothie offered the "all zone stereo" tip before I could, but glad that it's working (at least better than before)!

and another bonus, using “all zone stereo” as you suggested, I just discovered that I can play the apple box on zone 2. The trick is to turn down zone 1 volume. If you turn zone 1 off, zone 2 cuts out as well, but zone 2 works with zone 1 volume set at zero.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As others have noted, the source going to the X1600H must already be analog (or also can be network, TUNER, USB) in order to pass to the Zone 2 pre-outs or using the Surround Back speaker posts assigned to Zone 2. As a test try setting the surround mode to ALL ZONE STEREO on the X1600H which would allow an HMDI source connected to the X1600H to be down mixed to 2CH and pass to Zone 2.

On the 991 use the following settings:
Volume: At least 80/0dB
Surround Mode: DIRECT
Input Assign (BD) - HDMI (None)
Input Assign (BD) - Comp (RCA-1)
Thanks jdsmoothie ! what you suggested here, using "all zone stereo" allowed me to get playback from the surround back speaker posts from the apple tv box. the only hitch is that you can't turn off zone 1 without it turning off zone 2 (from the app). but I found an work around by just turning zone 1 volume to zero.

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,171
Thanks jdsmoothie ! what you suggested here, using "all zone stereo" allowed me to get playback from the surround back speaker posts from the apple tv box. the only hitch is that you can't turn off zone 1 without it turning off zone 2 (from the app). but I found an work around by just turning zone 1 volume to zero.
As noted, that's because the lower models are unable to play digital audio independently to Zone 2.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a question for you guys. I have a AVR-X3600H with multiple gaming devices connected to it but there's only one gaming input on the back of the receiver. Several others are bluray, DVD, Etc... I currently have the xbox connected to the game input and my switch to the bluray input. Everything functions perfectly fine, but the only annoying thing is on the ACR remote app it has the bluray controls and not the game controls. Is there any way to fix this or am I just stuck with whatever input it is hooked up to?

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,173
I've got a question for you guys. I have a AVR-X3600H with multiple gaming devices connected to it but there's only one gaming input on the back of the receiver. Several others are bluray, DVD, Etc... I currently have the xbox connected to the game input and my switch to the bluray input. Everything functions perfectly fine, but the only annoying thing is on the ACR remote app it has the bluray controls and not the game controls. Is there any way to fix this or am I just stuck with whatever input it is hooked up to?
You may be better served using a Harmony (or other universal) remote instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an Apple TV 4K connected directly to my LG OLED C9 TV. The TV is connected to my Denon X3600H Amp via HDMI e-ARC.
It all works fine, with no issues with stereo or Dolby Atmos audio. However all other surround audio comes up as ‘Multi In’ on the amp (I understand this is expected for AppleTV).

Normally this is fine but I have an intermittent issue where the audio produced is totally garbled. This issue only occurs when playing ‘Multi In’ content and can normally be fixed by exiting the content and re-playing.

It’s frustrating though. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Why not connect the ATV directly to the AVR and eliminate the eARC and TV from the equation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I assume this has been asked here before, but I'm not sure how to search just this thread:

I moved into a new home, an it came with an AVR-x1600h with a 5.1 system including a big sub. Are there any easy settings to:

1) the equivalent of a "night mode", eg lower volume range/bass? I see Dynamic Volume is one possibility. Anything else on my model?

2) Anything to accentuate dialogue?

I'm used to similar settings on my "old" Sonos, just curious if I'm missing anything beyond Dynamic Volume for this. Thanks...

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I assume this has been asked here before, but I'm not sure how to search just this thread
Yes. You're not the first, and you won't be the last because it's a monumental brain-dead failure of UI design in the new system - the function is hidden, and only revealed after you do something which changes the options:

This kind of dumb thinking breaks the model, used successfully for 40 years, that you can find features by glancing through the menu options.
HTH

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,178
I assume this has been asked here before, but I'm not sure how to search just this thread:

I moved into a new home, an it came with an AVR-x1600h with a 5.1 system including a big sub. Are there any easy settings to:

1) the equivalent of a "night mode", eg lower volume range/bass? I see Dynamic Volume is one possibility. Anything else on my model?

2) Anything to accentuate dialogue?

I'm used to similar settings on my "old" Sonos, just curious if I'm missing anything beyond Dynamic Volume for this. Thanks...
1. Use Dynamic Volume.
2. Use Dynamic Volume. Also ensure the Center speaker is angled up to aim at your face and not at your knees if placed on a lower shelf. If you do adjust the speaker, run Audyssey again. You can also simply bump up the Center speaker volume a few dB as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got it. Will use Dynamic Volume. Will use Dynamic Volume. I read the manual as best I could and I didn't see anything else myself. One more question:

Is there a way to set the quick select buttons to turn Dynamic Volume on and off easily? Rather than how I do it now, which is: switch my TV to Denon input so I can see the menus, navigate through all those menus to Dynamic Volume, then switch it there. This could be a daily thing, switching it on whenever the kids go to bed, so I'd love to not have to do that whole process every time. Almost a deal breaker for me, as to whether I can practically use this as my sound system...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Is there a way to set the quick select buttons to turn Dynamic Volume on and off easily? Rather than how I do it now, which is: switch my TV to Denon input so I can see the menus, navigate through all those menus to Dynamic Volume, then switch it there. This could be a daily thing, switching it on whenever the kids go to bed, so I'd love to not have to do that whole process every time. Almost a deal breaker for me, as to whether I can practically use this as my sound system...
The Quick Select buttons save all the settings, including the inputs.
So you could have QS1 set to "TV audio, with Dynamic Volume off" and call it "Day"
then QS2 set to "TV audio, with Dynamic Volume on" and call it "Night".
Then just press which one you want.

Or, use the web interface (if available) or the android app to turn DV on or off.

3161 - 3180 of 3303 Posts